• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance graphics now > E3 demo. (This is the thread of the month. Click this)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majmun

dalyr95 said:
928399_20060721_screen001.jpg

928399_20060602_screen001.jpg

This is looking better?? Wow can't wait

That's some seriously good AA.

GeoramA said:
Insomniac knows the PS3 better than anybody, according to PSM. So I'm sure they had pretty good reason to do it.

Better than Team Kojima? Better than Naughty Dog? :lol Typical PSM hyperbole statement

Oneself said:
The wait is so painful.. I can't wait to give an entire 2 weeks paycheck to Sony on November 17th.

Yeah same here, I just obtained a large sum of money through illegal means very recently.

Dunpeal

Banned
GeoramA said:
Insomniac knows the PS3 better than anybody, according to PSM. So I'm sure they had pretty good reason to do it.

Meh i don't give a F anyway. The 30FPs vs 60Fps is dead subject for me, i actually think 60 FPS makes certain games look arcadey, like FPS...:lol Its not that i was ever used to 60 FPS anyway, even when i have the latest PC i crank it all up till its down to 30 :lol

Oneself

Doom_Bringer said:
Yeah same here, I just obtained a large sum of money through illegal means very recently.

That's a good thing! If only I had a little brother or sister too, I could do the same and sell them on ebay.

Doom_Bringer said:
Better than Team Kojima? Better than Naughty Dog? :lol Typical PSM hyperbole statement

Considering the time scale and the fact their games is releasing this year at launch and running smooth on a brand new architect hardware and Naughty Dog and Team Kojima's games are far from finished they might at this moment in time. You really shouldn't take everything in absolute terms you know.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Considering the time scale and the fact their games is releasing this year at launch and running smooth on a brand new architect hardware and Naughty Dog and Team Kojima's games are far from finished they might at this moment in time. You really shouldn't take everything in absolute terms you know.

Shut up you fool! Naughty Dog owns Insomniac and their launch games.

Mark Gonzales said:
What they really need to do is work on the damn textures

I'ill say lighting is more important at this moment in time. It can either give the game that robust dynamic look or dead look to a game's visuals in motion over textures here and there.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn, I just can't get over how detailed ND's game is. I mean, LOOK at that. It's damn near flawless.

It's very much in render territory, but it's not a render.

dark10x said:
Damn, I just can't get over how detailed ND's game is. I mean, LOOK at that. It's damn near flawless.

But it has one critical flaw though, lack of interaction. In the trailer the vegetation was clipping through him :\ I hope they address that and make it like MGS3

Doom_Bringer said:
But it has one critical flaw though, lack of interaction. In the trailer the vegetation was clipping through him :\ I hope they address that and make it like MGS3

It just blew me away that Team Kojima managed to devote such and polish detail as moving a good portion of the vegetation when you pass through on top of it being a lot of 3D geometry, I mean come on, all 3D grass on PS2 hardware? So awesome when someone fires their gun and you can trance the gun fire from the movement of the grass.

Most next games don't even do that.

Wollan

Looks like the small grass blades don't get affected but the bigger plants do as well as bits and pieces fly when they get shot.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
It just blew me away that Team Kojima managed to devote such detail as moving a good portion of the vegetation when you pass through on top of it being a lot of 3D geometry, I mean come on, all 3D grass on PS2 hardware?

Most next games don't even do that.

Yeah I was most impressed by team Kojima last gen! From the crazy particle effects in MGS2, to the sparks in ZOE2 and to the 3d grass in MGS3...Can't wait to see MGS4 gameplay running on final PS3 dev kits! But MGS4 didn't look that hot at E3 IMO. The textures, the frame rate and the lighting needs a lot of work

Wollan

I was quite surprised at the MGS4 framerate myself. It may have something to do with 1080p though as Kojima said recently that they were going for that(or rather, he said '1080').

ND's jungle game is still the most impressive next gen game I've seen on any platform.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Second said:
Jezuuuss...what's with all your RAM rumbling? :/

Only because of that interview with Starbreeze?

Dude, he's trolling.

The latest interview with Starbreeze didn't mention anything about the texures, either.

Wollan said:
I was quite surprised at the MGS4 framerate myself. It may have something to do with 1080p though as Kojima said recently that they were going for that(or rather, he said '1080').

Frame rate problems can be explained as the engine is probably not optimized and the dev kits weren't final...actually all the problems I mentioned can be explained because of that :p MGS4 should shine at TGS! I really hope they show gameplay though!

dark10x

Wollan said:

ND's jungle game is still the most impressive next gen game I've seen on any platform.
Thankfully, Kojima expressed his heavy disappointment in the framerate but maintained that the E3 trailer wasn't about the technology, but rather, setting the tone for the game itself.

By release, I'd imagine that MGS4 will be running a great framerate. They clearly understand the importance of 60 fps (as the TGS trailer ran at 60) and I think they will aim for it.

Wollan

IF they are going for 1080p Im not so sure about that 60fps anymore. Im not complaining at all but c'mon. Divine intervention and all.

Wollan said:
IF they are going for 1080p Im not so sure about that 60fps anymore. Im not complaining at all but c'mon. Divine intervention and all.

I am sure they will drop 1080p chatter after they realize that they can't get the game to look good and play smoothly at that res! And not to mention the fact that most hd tvs don't suppor that res anyway.

PS3 games at 1080P? You gotta be kidding me! I thought it was for movies only :p

Wollan

Well I'm sort of amazed we got MGS4 trailers so far ahead of even PS3's release as the case as always been after a Playstation release.

That's definetly true. Holy damn, I can't wait for TGS for various reasons.

BigBoss

Wollan said:
Has this been confirmed? I would guess it's more of a short teaser?

The Unofficial MGS site(TUS) got this info straight from Konami apparently, if you need more proof it was confirmed that a new trailer would be shown in this month's EGM.

-Rogue5-

I don't think the game looks bad, just not "ZOMG". I'm more concerned with Resistence just being more FPS fodder... F.E.A.R., Prey, PDZ were all pretty mediocre and I just don't see Resistence doing anything extraordinary.

... I feel the same way about Saints Row. Does that make me jaded? Maybe. But when games are $60+ each and systems are $500+ you're much better off being jaded/skeptical.

jett

D-Member
dark10x said:
Thankfully, Kojima expressed his heavy disappointment in the framerate but maintained that the E3 trailer wasn't about the technology, but rather, setting the tone for the game itself.

By release, I'd imagine that MGS4 will be running a great framerate. They clearly understand the importance of 60 fps (as the TGS trailer ran at 60) and I think they will aim for it.

I bet a BILLION DOLLAHZ that last year's MGS4 trailer was artificially sped up to run at 60fps 100% of the time. No way it was actually running like that last year, with MGS4 running THIS YEAR like total ass.

MGS4 will no doubt have a somewhat steady framerate by its release(like MGS3, at least), but I'm just saying...

BigBoss

jett said:
I bet a BILLION DOLLAHZ that last year's MGS4 trailer was artificially sped up to run at 60fps 100% of the time. No way it was actually running like that last year, with MGS4 running THIS YEAR like total ass.

MGS4 will no doubt have a somewhat steady framerate by its release(like MGS3, at least), but I'm just saying...

So if he sped up the trailer at TGS why didn't he do the same thing for the E3 trailer?

Striek

dark10x said:

It would be hard to believe its all realtime if it wasn't from Naughty Dog. All other (big) games have made a fairly noticeable graphics vs. IQ tradeoff. MGS4 is probably the closest other 'confirmed' realtime game, but even there you can see its IQ faults. With NDs game you can watch the entire trailer without noticing any (there are some but they're goddamn minute). And the geometry and texturing is insane.

dark10x

jett said:

Oh, I agree with you. I'm not suggesting that it was 60 fps realtime, but I am suggesting that the framerate of that trailer proves the importance of 60 fps in the eyes of Kojima and his team. That mixed with his disappointment in the framerate of the E3 trailer seems to point towards a high framerate goal.

I'm not sure about that seeing as only one MGS title (in 3d) has run at 60fps
MGS1 could not and MGS3 was initially running at 60 fps but they simply went too far with the engine. The ZOE games were 60 fps (though ZOE2 had its fair share of slowdown at times).

jett said:

Still the more initially impressive looking sequence of Raiden taking down a slew of Metal Gears as opposed to Snake's run in with just the two Metal Gears was a lot smoother, it looks like the engine showing off the breakaway building is much more computationally intensive than even if Raiden was talking down like half a dozen Metal Gears.

Kittonwy

Banned
Striek said:
It would be hard to believe its all realtime if it wasn't from Naughty Dog. All other (big) games have made a fairly noticeable graphics vs. IQ tradeoff. MGS4 is probably the closest other 'confirmed' realtime game, but even there you can see its IQ faults. With NDs game you can watch the entire trailer without noticing any (there are some but they're goddamn minute). And the geometry and texturing is insane.

And Amy Hennig is directing the game, which is awesome-wowsome of course. Hopefully she will have input in the story, I wonder if Dan Arey will be doing most of the writing.

~_~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom