• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance graphics now > E3 demo. (This is the thread of the month. Click this)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

If they manage to get MGS4 out in 07 it will be a incredible feat. Not relating to engine(as I'm sure they will have something perfectly godly smooth before the end of this year) but in terms of features. Not only will they have all of those crazy new stuff stuff you can do and so on, it will also ship with a full online mode. I wouldn't be surprised if it slipped to 2008.

jett

D-Member
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Still the more initially impressive looking sequence of Raiden taking down a slew of Metal Gears as opposed to Snake's run in with just the two Metal Gears was a lot smoother, it looks like the engine showing off the breakaway building is much more computationally intensive than even if Raiden was talking down like half a dozen Metal Gears.

The Raiden sequence was smoother than the Snake's encounter with the gekko gear(which was running like in the freaking single digits), but it still seemed below 30fps. The only part of the trailer that seemed to run perfectly(might have even been 60fps) was when Snake and the middle eastern guerrilla soldiers were going into town.

BigBoss said:
So if he sped up the trailer at TGS why didn't he do the same thing for the E3 trailer?

Maybe you should ask Kojima. :p Guess he wanted to keep a perfect aesthetic last year(or create teh hype), but felt like being an honest chap this time around.

-Rogue5-

Wollan said:
If they manage to get MGS4 out in 07 it will be a incredible feat. Not relating to engine(as I'm sure they will have something perfectly godly smooth before the end of this year) but in terms of features. Not only will they have all of those crazy new stuff stuff you can do and so on, it will also ship with a full online mode. I wouldn't be surprised if it slipped to 2008.

Man, they don't need to add online or extras.... that's what MGS4:Subresistence will be for... and it'll be multiplatform...maybe...

Surreal

-Rogue5- said:
Man, they don't need to add online or extras.... that's what MGS4:Subresistence will be for... and it'll be multiplatform...maybe...

No, that's what free online distribution is for. =P

Kittonwy: An MGS4 trailer and a MGS PSP trailer too.

Wollan

MGS4 or it's portions will never be multiplatform. The final game will probably be incredibly dependent on the nuances that the PS3 architecture provides but it will also take use of the waggle in several ways(and next gen rumble... wait for it!).

momolicious said:
Is Amy Hennig one of the best female game directors/producer? not many out there

if its 30fps it better be amazing looking.

Eh, 30 fps seems to be next gen standard amazing looking or not lately. That being a rock solid 30 fps on the other hand...

momolicious said:
Is Amy Hennig one of the best female game directors/producer? not many out there

She even responds to e-mail. Well she did when I compalined about the tearing in Jak 2. She thought the trade off was worth it. I don't. That said I think Jak 2 is all kinds of awesome.

Kittonwy

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
Amy who? Watcha talking about doodz?

Hennig was the director/writer/designer of the Soul Reaver games (she was also the design manager of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain), she and Richard Lemarchand (senior designer) both left Crystal Dynamics to join Naughty Dog (not sure if Lemarchand left before or after Defiance since Lemarchand joined Naughty Dog prior to Hennig afaik).

Kittonwy

Banned
momolicious said:

According to PSM:

"Also, the game will run locked at 30 frames-per-second online and off, no matter how much action is going on. 60fps had been the plan but the developers decided to add much more environmental destruction and special effects, so the trade-off was made."

So I reckon the reason it's at 30fps is that they want to make a much prettier game (and much more environmental destructability) than what was shown at E3. Well I hope the final product will reflect that.

momolicious said:
I think the tradeoff was worth it

While I don't agree it doesn't bother me like it used to. Jak 3 (PAL version) is much worse which is disappointing as I'd hoped that would have worked on that.

jett said:
Well if it's 30 because of added effects and shit it better blow me the **** away now.

I'm thinking no for you. It's been 30 fps since E3 anyway. I'm trying to think of a 60 frame per second FPS for next gen and all I got is Call of Duty 2 really and even then it wasn't quite solid.

Kittonwy

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
I'm thinking no for you. It's been 30 fps since E3 anyway. I'm trying to think of a 60 frame per second FPS for next gen and all I got is Call of Duty 2 really and even then it wasn't quite solid.

The multiplayer was running at 60fps though.

Didn't Kojima come straight out and confirm at a panel event that the reason the framerate was so unoptimized in the E3 trailer was due to the destructible environment physics all being done in realtime and the team not having enough time to get the kinks worked out? The severe frame drops all coincide with the gekkos puncturing walls. Oh, and at the start in graveyard with the tons of flowers.

buckfutter said:
Didn't Kojima come straight out and confirm at a panel event that the reason the framerate was so unoptimized in the E3 trailer was due to the destructible environment physics all being done in realtime and the team not having enough time to get the kinks worked out? The severe frame drops all coincide with the gekkos puncturing walls. Oh, and at the start in graveyard with the tons of flowers.

That and because he said during the final weeks of putting the trailer together his team pumped a bunch of special effects into the game which caused some problems.

bud

jett said:
I bet a BILLION DOLLAHZ that last year's MGS4 trailer was artificially sped up to run at 60fps 100% of the time. No way it was actually running like that last year, with MGS4 running THIS YEAR like total ass.

MGS4 will no doubt have a somewhat steady framerate by its release(like MGS3, at least), but I'm just saying...

last year's mgs4 trailer was full of placeholders...

EDIT: sdf is complete again!

welcome back ssx!

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
That and because he said during the final weeks of putting the trailer together his team pumped a bunch of special effects into the game which caused some problems.

Did they have the final kits in time for the E306 trailer? He said with the final kits the visuals will improve, right?

Kittonwy said:
Did they have the final kits in time for the TGS trailer? He said with the final kits the visuals will improve, right?

For 2006? I have no idea. They should have some time to work on the final kits before putting the trailer together. He told EGM that with the E3 trailer they were just becoming accustomed with the PS3's hardware and he expects the game to improve greatly from what we're currently seeing. So that could show up at TGS.

RaijinFY

SolidSnakex said:
For 2006? I have no idea. They should have some time to work on the final kits before putting the trailer together. He told EGM that with the E3 trailer they were just becoming accustomed with the PS3's hardware and he expects the game to improve greatly from what we're currently seeing. So that could show up at TGS.

Do you have that quote? Not that I aint trusting you but I would like to see what he said exactly.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Glad to hear it's looking better. I've always been a huge insomniac fan, so I'm interested to see what they do with a game like Resistance (which, as far as I know, is completely different from their entire discography).

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

Sorry I meant the E306 trailer.

Kittonwy

Banned
TheTrin said:
Glad to hear it's looking better. I've always been a huge insomniac fan, so I'm interested to see what they do with a game like Resistance (which, as far as I know, is completely different from their entire discography).

I'm looking forward to the improved lighting, but I'm more anxious to see how the improved environmental destructability will turn out.

RaijinFY said:
Do you have that quote? Not that I aint trusting you but I would like to see what he said exactly.

Here it is

GM: Will the gameplay look as good as the trailer? It's real-time, right?

Hideo Kojima: Yes, it is real-time, made with nearly final PS3 tools. My staff put a lot of time into, but you still see a little glitching going on. Hopefully, we should be able to fix all of that. We're only now learning how to best use the PS3, so we should be able to greatly enhance the visuals of the final product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom