• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn Entertainment gives more detail about the Cloud and Titanfall

So they are charging developers for cloud space. Looks like they get a lot of bang for the buck, but I've seen many people taking it up as a free service to the developers.

massoluk

Banned
Get caught not reading OP. Look before you leap. The whole article is meant to debunk these blind replies and the poor communication of it all.

Servers have existed before, yes they are not something they invented just for X1. But subsidized dedicated servers from the platform holder available to all developers on any given platform is nothing short of impressive and exciting, and probably something that hasn't been done before.

Not every game is an MMO, and just because a game has integrated online features doesn't make it one either. Extending this to all developers on a platform is huge.

It's dedicated servers operated by Microsoft, I have no clue how anyone can read it to be anything but that.

Bsigg12

Being able to scale them around as demand shrinks/grows, as well as have them update the servers first and players auto get the updates and content will be great.

The updating part of it all is something I'm excited for. Being able to push updates to the server without requiring a title update will be amazing. Also, adding content on the fly.

sflufan

Banned
So how will those of us who want the PC version actually pay for the dedicated servers if they're not going to be offered through traditional GSPs (ie, GameServers)?

Minigo

They *are* dedicated servers. It's how those servers are organized, accessed and managed and how those servers can work together that makes the difference. What they're doing that makes them special is how much server capacity is available to be used (the existing Azure platform), and how easy it is to scale processing and servers as needed, automatically, to a fine-grained level of detail.

These are still computers doing work, yes.

According to Respawn the PC version won't have the "niceties" of the Xbone version. They haven't explained just what in the world that means though.
I understand now, sort of a super efficient way to run, manage and organize dedicated servers, what I get from his piece is that he is relieved that he doesn't have to deal with all the dedicated server related stuff.

Can we forgive a company (MS) for being overly enthusiastic about their product or what they feel they are bringing to the table please? I mean...see every company reveal EVER!!

Yes, MS used hyperbole to describe what is essentially dedicated servers. But, I feel some of us are being extremely shortsighted in our vision if what the future holds or is capable of. What this article is saying to me is that there is a lot of POTENTIAL, things that you and I are not seeing at the moment, that can be had from hundreds of thousands of computational servers. The POWAH of the cloud if you will.

Take a chill guys and try to get a little excited at the potential growth of your favorite hobby instead of trying to take a piss on everything good that is not from your favorite console provider.

Twinduct

I don't see why we, the gamers, would be against technology that can make the games we play better.

Because not all of us, the gamers, would benefit from this. In fact some of us will actually have a negative impact if this is used to replace PC player hosted/ private dedicated servers.

luoapp

Servers have existed before, yes they are not something they invented just for X1. But subsidized dedicated servers from the platform holder available to all developers on any given platform is nothing short of impressive and exciting, and probably something that hasn't been done before..

Nowhere said subsidized server for everyone. Respawn got a good deal doesn't mean everyone else can.

Raide

So how will those of us who want the PC version actually pay for the dedicated servers if they're not going to be offered through traditional GSPs (ie, GameServers)?

Well, I guess that depends on the devs giving the client/Server stuff for players, or just getting you to buy it from MS.

You either won't be getting them (most likely outcome), or you'll be paying Microsoft now.

Respawn with some plain talk, and a thread that didn't hit 200 posts in 12 minutes. SHOCKING NEWS.

What's going on with dedicated servers for the PC version of Titanfall, as that's what I'll be buying?
Devs said that they will have to figure it out on their own and that not all the features would translate over, but the article makes it sound like they'd support other platforms too.

Attack the misleading and inappropriate PR marketing bullshit about the cloud but I can't see attacking these services as anything negative from Microsoft. It's truly good for the platform, even if it just makes dedicated servers more prevalent.

Also, I think it takes some random leaps to suggest this service on Xbox One will negatively impact the dedicated server situation on PC. Dev's who do PC support right will continue to do it right, those that half ass PC support will continue half assing PC support.

GameSeeker

And Sony?

I hope Sony implementing a paywall means they will be embracing dedicated servers. I know some games on PS3 offered dedicated servers, so it should be a given it will happen on PS4...

Sony is already ahead of the game.

Titanfall is an online only multi-player FPS. It uses dedicated servers.

Planetside 2 is an online only multi-player FPS. It uses dedicated servers.

Titanfall is on Xbone & PC (and probably later PS4).
Plantside 2 is on PS4 & PC (and won't be on Xbone).

Titanfall requires you to pay for Xbox Gold.
Planetside 2 is F2P and doesn't require PSN+.

Again, Sony is ahead of the game. MMO's on PSN will have dedicated servers. No advantage to Xbox here.

Why not just say...

Dedicated Servers. They're confusing everyone with all of the other nonsense trying to make it sound amazing and NEVER BEFORE SEEN!

Because "Cloud" is a marketing buzzword which the common consumer will associate with a forward looking, futuristic device. Dedicated server doesn't sound sexy at all, but all this really is are dedicated servers.

sflufan

Banned
You either won't be getting them (most likely outcome), or you'll be paying Microsoft now.

Noooo...it clearly states that the PC and 360 versions will be getting dedicated servers:

Titanfall uses the Xbox Live Cloud to run dedicated servers for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.

MisterC20XX

OK, so it sounds like it's a real a thing. I stand corrected. Kudos to Respawn for explaining it.

This sounds good, but does that mean other games will use it too? Like CoD Ghosts for instance.

This is now my big question. Is it available to all developers? If so will Xbox One multiplatform titles have an advantage?

This certainly does provide some clarity around the cloud marketing. It turns out to be pretty much what I (and many others) expected, discount access to Azure services, or essentially just moneyhatting. More dedicated servers are always nice, but I wonder what the agreement looks like that the pubs have to sign to get the discount, and I wonder for how long Microsoft has promised to provide the services at the discounted price.

I understand now, sort of a super efficient way to run, manage and organize dedicated servers, what I get from his piece is that he is relieved that he doesn't have to deal with all the dedicated server related stuff.
Exactly. MS is making it extremely easy and cost-effective for developers to add automatically scaling dedicated server support for all kinds of gaming related tasks.

I honestly don't know enough about how Sony handles servers to know how close they are to being able to provide the same level of service. Anybody have an idea? Is this something Sony could easily roll out to match the scale of Azure? Do they already have a similarly scaled and distributed cloud environment they can leverage?

2San

Also, I think it takes some random leaps to suggest this service on Xbox One will negatively impact the dedicated server situation on PC. Dev's who do PC support right will continue to do it right, those that half ass PC support will continue half assing PC support.
It's like people forgot MW2 PC didn't have dedi's.

What's this network launch issue baloney I am hearing from you?

Sarcasm? Nearly every game launches with issues and if people have issues with lag or connecting to a game this cloud/dedicated server talk is meaningless to people. Especially when an entire game's focus is MP, so it is literally unplayable if there are network issues on launch.

Paging Sim City.

Mesoian

OK, so it sounds like it's a real a thing. I stand corrected. Kudos to Respawn for explaining it.

This is now my big question. Is it available to all developers? If so will Xbox One multiplatform titles have an advantage?

That's what it sounds like, but again, Microsoft's PR being terrible, so it's unclear. I'd like to think so, it's the only reason why pimping the "Cloud" makes any sense at all. If it's something added that people can opt into, it's no different than what Sony or EA are doing right now.

miked808

Would a Titanfall dedicated server map for example have more destructability, weather change, day night cycles etc.. that you couldn't have otherwise?

GFWL for my most anticipated online MP game on PC next year?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

this is some seriously disappointing news. I'd prefer Origin any day over that shit.

Noooo...it clearly states that the PC and 360 versions will be getting dedicated servers:

Titanfall uses the Xbox Live Cloud to run dedicated servers for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.

Ugh... read what I quoted again.

He was talking about the option of buying/setting up our own dedicated servers.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Quentyn

Origin + Windows 8 + GFWL, sent to die

They already confirmed it is not Windows 8 exclusive.

tff2u5u.jpg

velociraptor

So after reading that article, the only thing I garnered was that cloud is simply a buzzword for dedicated servers.

Gee, what wasn't so hard now, was it Microsoft?

Now that's fantastic for online games and I'm happy their usage is being taken more seriously this generation for us console gamers.

But anyone who is expecting the 'cloud' to actively improve a game visually is merely deluding themselves.

Nothing will change i think.

They will offer like 100 servers in each region the rest will be rented by the community.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Still trying to figure out if having a Content Delivery Server for Azure locally would mitigate some latency with shit like this. but doubt it. Really REALLY hope they offer some private dedicated option.

Game this good shouldn't be restrained by BS.

Absolutely, I really hate the way a lot of companies are so reluctant to let their fans on PC host their own servers and give them tools to do so. Don't get me wrong, for consoles I think this is a wonderful step and a big leap forward if companies use it and they should, but I'm not a fan of restricting options to their PC fanbase. These are the same guys who made COD4 for fuck sake, a game I can still play now with many full servers on PC due to letting people host their own servers.

Twinduct

I don't like this response. What cost is there to Respawn for user hosted dedicated servers? Oh yeah, it is tougher to shove DLC down our throat then.

Insult to injury would be that BF3, EA, offered great support for dedicated servers for PC. Even with all the DLC packs and shit inbetween.

Madness

How does this news translate to non North American gamers? I hate playing with people outside of the US/Canada due to lag.

Does this mean people in Australia, UK, Mexico and other areas get to enjoy a great experience with US/Can gamers etc.?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Origin + Windows 8 + GFWL, sent to die
Um, I'm going to treat the whole "Titanfall is a Windows 8 exclusive" stuff as anti-MS FUD from now on, until something's confirmed either way. Thanks.

GFWL still sucked copious amounts of ass, however. Feel free to continue bashing that as long as you like.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I honestly don't know enough about how Sony handles servers to know how close they are to being able to provide the same level of service. Anybody have an idea? Is this something Sony could easily roll out to match the scale of Azure? Do they already have a similarly scaled and distributed cloud environment they can leverage?

I don't think that Sony should build their own cloud infrastructure. That would only make sense if they would enter the business of providing cloud infrastructures to the general public.

Most likley, Sony will enter contracts with other cloud/data center providers around the world.

Mrbob

So after reading that article, the only thing I garnered was that cloud is simply a buzzword for dedicated servers.

Gee, what wasn't so hard now, was it Microsoft?

Now that's fantastic for online games and I'm happy their usage is being taken more seriously this generation for us console gamers.

But anyone who is expecting the 'cloud' to actively improve a game visually is merely deluding themselves.

MS out marketed themselves. They should have just said dedicated servers for games and people would have been more excited than this cloud garbage. Although it doesn't necessarily sound like it's free for all developers to use so we may not see this support for every game.

Top Bottom