• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: "Mech is kind of a dirty word with us. We don't like it."

Sojgat

They're just visually busy looking VOTOMS. They're mechs.

1320776928298.jpg

Sounds like you needs to make up a catchy name for them then, like every other mecha ever created. Mobile suit, arm slave, guymelef, orbital frame, vertical tank, vital suit, knightmare frame, gear, AGWS... the names don't even need to make sense.

Those are all just types of mechs, though. The Titans are basically just mobile suits without flight or space capabilities.

Semi sensational title.

He's talking about how the game will play instead of the look of the mechs. You aren't going to be piloting big lumbering mechs like mechwarrior, it'll feel like any other fps, fast, agile, codish, just 30 feet taller.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Why is mech a dirty word? Why wouldn't you want to appeal to a niche group without alienating the main stream? Why are you scared of calling your mechs what they are? Why haven't I seen titanfall yet!

mclem

"These things aren't mechs.They are something totally new and different.The Titans are really an extension of the player.They are bigger,they are heavily armored,and they give you kind of a second life but they are agile,fun,and fast.They can dodge.It's not a feeling of something slow and lumbering.It really is an extension of you.You lose a little bit of agility because you can't jump,but on the ground these things are super agile tanks."

So basically: They're not Mechwarrior-style American mechs, they're Evangelion-style Japanese mechs? Okiedokie!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
"These things aren't mechs.They are something totally new and different.The Titans are really an extension of the player.They are bigger,they are heavily armored,and they give you kind of a second life but they are agile,fun,and fast.They can dodge.It's not a feeling of something slow and lumbering.It really is an extension of you.You lose a little bit of agility because you can't jump,but on the ground these thingsare super agile tanks."

Oh yeah, I get it. I see what they're saying. They aren't like mechs, they're just essentially a giant metal suit the player is putting on. And they're really agile and can move around a lot. Really mobile.

So they're less like mechs and more like... mobile suits.

Totally different.

Wait.

Cacophanus

In regards to mecha nomenclature, on the whole mecha retain unique terminology in each intellectual property in which they appear (mobile suits, armored troopers, variable fighters etc.) but they are still under the auspices of mecha.

Artorias

Banned
Wow, that's probably pretty embarrassing for the team working on it. I mean I hope it is at least.

Pacific Rim wears it's influence on it's sleeve and comes off more genuine for it. We all know you lack the talent to create something original, but at least acknowledge where it obviously came from.

Hex

Banned
Mechs exclusive to PS4 version, Timed exclusive contract loophole found.
Respawn are cunning indeed.

It is weird. Like, who doesn't think mechs are cool?

Dudebros. It's pretty clear they're trying to avoid the game being too sci-fi and nerdy because Dudebros won't flock to it then. This is what this 'mech' thing is about, just PR to avoid them coming off geeky. Pretty sad.

Let's use this thread to list every silly mech name in games.

Metal Gears
Vertical Tanks
Wanzers
Gears
Titans
Dolls
Orbital Frames

AndyD

aka andydumi
Killzone did it right, named them Exo's.
A Titan has to be massive to earn that nickname. The mechs in TitanFall aren't that big.
A Jaeger in Pacific Rim, now that's a Titan.

The thing about Killzone is that you could shoot the pilot out. So it was more of an EXO. Here, the pilot is entirely inside, so it's a mech.

Etnos

Banned
They've always had this "we are special" attitude... remember their push to make it Mordern Warfare because Call of Duty was to mainstream or whatever..

They usually make good games, but chill pill please. MECHS ARE COOL.

Top Bottom