• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: "Mech is kind of a dirty word with us. We don't like it."

KHarvey16

I really don't think it's an effort to distance themselves from the anime mech concept. What would be the point of that? On the overall scale of this none of their audience is familiar with that stuff to begin with.

Eusis

He must be thinking more along the lines of stuff like Mechwarrior, because this stuff is definitely closer to what you'd expect from a Japanese mecha in terms of mobility. And hell, I think that's probably why it looks very interesting to me, if it had just been slow lumbering ones more like Star Wars had I probably wouldn't care that much (nevermind we have Dice's SW Battlefront coming along anyway.)

I also am expecting this means they won't be called mechs or mecha in game... which is the case for 99% of media that has a serious mecha focus ANYWAY, kind of like why zombies aren't called zombies in many zombie movies.

Waaghals

They wanted to do something new, but are terrified to distance themselves too much from the traditional Call of Duty market.

Thats why they added mechs - mechs that behave 90% like cod soldiers and cod soldiers that can parkour.

Personally I think TitanFall is pretty damn cool, but it is at heart extremely conservative.
Not so much in terms of the technical aspect, but in terms of how hard it tries not to alienate their core audience.

More than anything they cannot afford more casual parts thinking that this game is some sort of a mech sim or a "weird" Japanese game.

They wanted to do something new, but are terrified to distance themselves too much from the traditional Call of Duty market.

Thats why they added mechs - mechs that behave 90% like cod soldiers and cod soldiers that can parkour.

Personally I think TitanFall is pretty damn cool, but it is at heart extremely conservative.
Not so much in terms of the technical aspect, but in terms of how hard it tries not to alienate their core audience.

More than anything they cannot afford more casual parts thinking that this game is some sort of a mech sim or a "weird" Japanese game.
^^^This, good post. Sad state of affairs.

To be fair, Japanese anime and games never use the word "mech" either. They always call their mechs stuff like Argus Frames or Krieger Golems.

Let's use this thread to list every silly mech name in games.

Metal Gears
Vertical Tanks
Wanzers
Gears
Titans
Dolls
Orbital Frames

Virtuaroids
Armored Cores
Extravehicular Mobility Police Suits
Armored Fighting Walkers
Standing Tanks
Ride Armor
Battlewalkers
HOUNDS
Magitek Armor
Trotmobiles

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Is it twisted of me to really want the Titanfall fanbase to adopt this cause and start arguing with people every time somebody on here calls them mechs? That would be hilarious.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
"These things aren't mechs.They are something totally new and different.The Titans are really an extension of the player.They are bigger,they are heavily armored,and they give you kind of a second life but they are agile,fun,and fast.They can dodge.It's not a feeling of something slow and lumbering.It really is an extension of you.You lose a little bit of agility because you can't jump,but on the ground these thingsare super agile tanks."

AKA: mechs

Check out the quote from the first paragraph:

"When you say the word "mech", to some people you can see them immediately tune out. Not everyone grew up playing Battletech or sees the appeal of controlling massive robots that move at the speed of a senior citizen with a walker. Many of the designers at REspawn feel the same way, which is why they made the Titans to be different from the prototypical mech."

Guys, he not really talking about the look of the mechs, he talking about the feel of the gameplay. It going to play just like your're a regular person, just 30 feet taller.

Is it twisted of me to really want the Titanfall fanbase to adopt this cause and start arguing with people every time somebody on here calls them mechs? That would be hilarious.

I can't wait to see overly processed opinions on why they aren't mechs and the inevitable...

"So, mechs."

Gonna be great.

Cwarrior

Maybe they saw what's going to happen to pacific rim with going to bomb due it being associated with Japanese giant robots and are trying to distant themselves from them as much as possible.

edit:lol didn't know it hasn't happened yet in your time line :p

Kade

"When you say the word "mech", to some people you can see them immediately tune out. Not everyone grew up playing Battletech or sees the appeal of controlling massive robots that move at the speed of a senior citizen with a walker."

Guys, he not really talking about the look of the mechs, he talking about the feel of the gameplay. It going to play just like your're a regular person, just 30 feet taller.

There was a first paragraph?! I only needed to read the title to get the full context.

Let's use this thread to list every silly mech name in games.

Metal Gears
Vertical Tanks
Wanzers
Gears
Titans
Dolls
Orbital Frames

Not a fan of the Armored Core games? There are also several different subset of Armored Cores since they keep coming up with new dumb ones with every new game.

Sojgat

Maybe they saw what happened to pacific rim with it bombing due it being associated with Japanese giant robots and are trying to distant themselves from them as much as possible.

It's not out yet. It hasn't bombed, and it's not going to.

Shut up internet.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

"When you say the word "mech", to some people you can see them immediately tune out. Not everyone grew up playing Battletech or sees the appeal of controlling massive robots that move at the speed of a senior citizen with a walker. Many of the designers at REspawn feel the same way, which is why they made the Titans to be different from the prototypical mech."

So its a marketing decision. So why should I go along if I'm not paid to market their game?

They're still mechs.

Hex

Banned

Which is kind of stupid to be honest.
If I am in a mech (or non-mech -snarf) , I do not want to feel the same as if I am running around on foot.
I want to have weight and power and mass ...people that have played the right games know what I mean.

FACE

Banned
He's probably doing this so people won't compare his game to the much superior Mechwarrior series, I don't blame him.

sublimit

Banned
I really don't think it's an effort to distance themselves from the anime mech concept. What would be the point of that? On the overall scale of this none of their audience is familiar with that stuff to begin with.

I think they are just trying too hard to make the concept of the game sound more unique than it actually is.

DBPlayer

Banned
No not mechs... they're extension of the player, in which u can jump and run faster. What they're saying is that they're some kind of... Mobile Suits? See, not mechs and Japanese-sy at all.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

Which is funny, because if they're trying to avoid being associated with slow and plodding gameplay by calling them "Titans", they're going about it all wrong.

Top Bottom