• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: "Mech is kind of a dirty word with us. We don't like it."

TheChaos0

"These things aren't mechs.They are something totally new and different.The Titans are really an extension of the player.They are bigger,they are heavily armored,and they give you kind of a second life but they are agile,fun,and fast.They can dodge.It's not a feeling of something slow and lumbering.It really is an extension of you.You lose a little bit of agility because you can't jump,but on the ground these thingsare super agile tanks."

Trying so hard and still describing a mech. Why say things just to appear "different"?

Eusis

I hope a developer makes a car game and calls them something else.

Wheelmachine or something.
There's a key difference: cars actually exist, and so we use that term, much like for planes, boats, etc. Mecha we actually ride around in DON'T (and there's a good chance they'll forever remain a dream more due to practicality), and so everyone - not just them, EVERYONE - comes up with their own names for them. It's like my zombie comparison albeit to a greater extent, half the time zombies show up they aren't actually CALLED zombies, this actually seems more likely in fantasy works where zombies are just another kind of monster and not a world ending threat.

Check out the quote from the first paragraph:

Guys, he not really talking about the look of the mechs, he talking about the feel of the gameplay. It going to play just like your're a regular person, just 30 feet taller.

The majority of japanese mechs are more agile and faster than the mechs seen in Titanfall so the analogy completely falls apart.

"'Magic' is kind of verboten around here," explains Cudgel of Xanthor director Bob Dower. "When people think of 'magic' they think of Harry Potter or some wizard in a pointy hat and blue robe with stars. What our series is doing is a subversion of natural law. It's an arcane ritual in which something is exchanged for supernatural control over the physical world; it's ether-bending."

Arkage

Banned
I don't mind them trying to call them something else, but to then say that mech is a dirty word, I mean wtf. It's going to the extra distancing mile for no apparent reason.

taoofjord

So stupid.

And what's the deal with the reaction to this game? Why did everyone go crazy over it at E3 when it just looks like CoD meets battlefield-light? Not that it won't be fun for people who are into CoD, but so many people who dislike it or have grown bored with it over the years are exceedingly hyped for it. I don't get it.

Nibel

"'Magic' is kind of verboten around here," explains Cudgel of Xanthor director Bob Dower. "When people think of 'magic' they think of Harry Potter or some wizard in a pointy hat and blue robe with stars. What our series is doing is a subversion of natural law. It's an arcane ritual in which something is exchanged for supernatural control over the physical world; it's ether-bending."

Incredible

Now do cars!

I2amza

I don't get this rationale. Giant robots = Mechs = Giant armored suits = Mechs = Giant robots = Mechs = Evangelion = Mechs = Gundam = Mechs.

Dresden

ImaXMVN.jpg

Artorias

Banned
It's not out yet. It hasn't bombed, and it's not going to.

Shut up internet.

I'm a little confused with this too. I don't follow hollywood, and I don't even have cable or anything similar so I have no idea if the commercials play a lot, but I can tell you the amount of ads for Pacific Rim in major areas is insane.

I have no clue if the movie will be good or not, but I'd say it's at a point where it would be pretty hard for it to fail. Gamers should know as well as anyone that a massive and well targeted ad campaign can make even vaguely interesting products into cash cows.

Cwarrior

I really don't think it's an effort to distance themselves from the anime mech concept. What would be the point of that? On the overall scale of this none of their audience is familiar with that stuff to begin with.

A lot of the gaming press are, I think this an effort get them to stop associated them with it in there articles which is form of advertising gamers are going to be reading and hearing about titanfall for the first time.

Hoodbury

I get that he doesn't want us to think they are slow lumbering mechs and all, but why can't he just say they are quicker more agile mechs than we are use to?

wrowa

Check out the quote from the first paragraph:

Guys, he not really talking about the look of the mechs, he talking about the feel of the gameplay. It going to play just like your're a regular person, just 30 feet taller.

Well, but that's the point. Mechs usually are fast and agile, that's pretty much what they are about. He probably knows that as well, but is trying to steer away from the word so that the mechs can be promoted as something groundbreaking and new.

Let's be honest, when they inititially designed the game they were probably talking about mechs as well and not about "humanoid robots" or something.

darthbob

The mecha in Pacific Rim should be called Titans, and the Mecha in Titanfall should be called Jaegers. Still, how they fail to see how these 'Titans' are not mecha is just ridiculous.

From Wiktionary's definition of 'Mech': a large piloted combat robot.

So, the Titans are certainly larger than a person, they are piloted, and have weapons, and when you get out of it, it behaves on it's own.

I'd say that qualifies for all 4.

LiK

Sounds like movies/games who refuse to call something a zombie even tho they're clearly zombies.

Grief.exe

irbvwdMaYkZhd.png

So stupid.

And what's the deal with the reaction to this game? Why did everyone go crazy over it at E3 when it just looks like CoD meets battlefield-light? Not that it won't be fun for people who are into CoD, but so many people who dislike it or have grown bored with it over the years are exceedingly hyped for it. I don't get it.

I don't think it will appeal to the COD audience.

Vertical movement, mechs, non-ADS twitch aim. There is a reason COD players don't migrate to other shooters.

Brannon

Just realized something; they just gave us the power to kill this game. If we all geek out and be excited about piloting giant robots "just like in Power Rangers: Pacific Rim wink wink", we could actually do it. We can kill Titanfall.

Sooooooo EA... about SimCity and Darkspore...

Somnid

Japan taught me mechs are some magical machines that extend the user's body and share their emotions, flying into space and and having heated sword battles.

Titanfall's vehicles seem like typical Western man-tanks.

G_Berry

Banned
It's like Power Rangers!

I'm gonna say it's Morphin Time, bitches. Every time I need to get in my mech.
Lol.

The way they pick you up and shit makes them seem more "ALIVE" than just a mech. Kinda like evas from evangalion.

Mechs, titans, whatever, game will be amazing!

Karkador

Banned
They'll probably also say that the pilots are evolved/enhanced humans with special abilities..... but don't call them Newtypes!

Eusis

Game is being published by EA Partners, meaning EA doesn't have a heavy hand in the development.
Wonder what the chances of landing on Steam are on that note... probably not high.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the deal was revised partially due to EA Partners collapsing.
Sounds about right. I'm curious when mechs became unacceptable. I was under the impression that Battletech/Mechwarrior was popular and it only died because Microsoft killed FASA.
When you contrast to those you DO see their point, it's half of why most of the examples in this thread of mechs are Japanese ones like Gundam, because relative to those it sounds completely crazy to say these aren't for those reasons.

Kade

Wonder what the chances of landing on Steam are on that note... probably not high.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the deal was revised partially due to EA Partners collapsing.

They have the option to self publish on Steam. Same situation as Kingdoms of Amalur.

Isn't this simply a new twist on an old flavor? Heimbach chuckles at my question.

"Well, you know, there's a lot of games that fall into - they do that whole 'oh, he has power armor, an exoskeleton,' whatever. But when you use those phrases with the average consumer, their reaction is, 'What? Power, skeleton? Like a bug, or a knight?'"

"Our approach is different. These are NEMEAN suits; they're powerful yet lightweight, as though the player is just wearing a shirt. Also, they have a jetpack and thrusters built in, which really adds a new dimension to the gameplay."

Grief.exe

I would say the chances are fairly high.

Just about every single EA Partners game has been published on Steam.

The only ones that haven't were Hellgate: London (studio shutdown, IP sold), and Syndicate (EA owns the IP).

f0rk

I don't think they are big enough to earn the name Titan, comparing them to those from Greek mythology or even the ones in Warhammer 40k

I want to know when the hell the word Mech turned into a dirty word. When did the idea of a huge piloted humanoid robot filled to the gills with weapons become poison in the power fantasy loving manchild world of video games?

Top Bottom