• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: "Mech is kind of a dirty word with us. We don't like it."

nomster

People are trying way too hard to hate this game. Reading that quote makes it clear he wants to distance his game from the tank-like (at least in a control sense) mechs of most "mech-games". That's it.

Haunted

"'Magic' is kind of verboten around here," explains Cudgel of Xanthor director Bob Dower. "When people think of 'magic' they think of Harry Potter or some wizard in a pointy hat and blue robe with stars. What our series is doing is a subversion of natural law. It's an arcane ritual in which something is exchanged for supernatural control over the physical world; it's ether-bending."
oh my

Grief.exe

you're really emotional, you should calm the #%$#% down, and let people discuss the topic as they wish. Most of it is jokes, you really sound like your feelings are hurt because we aren't subscribing to Respawn's ideals.

I'm in a real glass cage of emotion right now.

2192148024_688d0eb741_o.gif

People are trying way too hard to hate this game. Reading that quote makes it clear he wants to distance his game from the tank-like (at least in a control sense) mechs of most "mech-games". That's it.

Yep, forget about the sensational thread title and article linked. Read the original game informer interview people.

So I can just go ahead and call this stupid, right?

This is stupid.

Nobody who plays this game is ever going to argue for it being something besides a mech.

...Unless you're the developer, I guess.

#itsadamnmech

Haunted

Ridiculousness aside, I do want to know why they're trying to avoid the term in the first place. Is there a negative connotation of the word "mech" I'm not aware of? Is it just an attempt to distance themselves from Japanese inspirations like the site in the OP mentions (and what does that say about their intended audience)?

Damn TVTropes, you scary.

VariantX

They are Mechs, just embrace it and get over it...

Seriously, its a robot with legs and guns. Everyone classifies them as mechs/mecha since forever. Don't do the same thing as everyone else did for damn near half a century and then try to call it something else because of egos being involved.

BeerSquad

Neo Member
Clever PR.

It never though about buying Dead Space I and II until I saw an interview where the dev said DS3 wouldn't be so scary, so people would not need to worry.

Well, it seems they realized that the association with mechs would be... er, helpful.

So? Start by denying it. The dudebros out there will never see it was planned PR.

Plus, they need to keep the press talking about it. Ever thought about why news keep streaming, one bit at a time?

Superflat

"These things aren't mechs. They are something totally new and different."

Followed by

"The Titans are really an extension of the player. They are bigger,they are heavily armored,and they give you kind of a second life but they are agile, fun, and fast.They can dodge.It's not a feeling of something slow and lumbering.It really is an extension of you. You lose a little bit of agility because you can't jump,but on the ground these things are super agile tanks."

Mechs are extensions of their pilots, are bigger and heavily armored, can be agile, fun and fast-- like super agile tanks! They can dodge and don't have to be slow and lumbering.

Nothing he said points to "they are something totally new and different".
And that's okay! I'm looking forward to this game. But they are giant humanoid robots that run around and kill things.
It's a mech.

Amir0x

Banned
Hey man if they're not mechs, tell us why they're not mechs

too bad his argument for why they're not mechs just sounds like they're mechs lol

I think most people are latching onto the "These aren't mechs." comment and aren't reading the full context from the game informer interview.

I could be wrong but what I interpret him trying to say is "these aren't your typical slow mechs."

so they're fast..mechs?
I think we can all read pretty well dude.

Grief.exe

SO in your quickness and fervor to post your "gaf gif" you are calling Gaffers out for something that absolutely nobody has done at all?
Fantastic.

Then a few posts down

I'm actually going to concede the point. I reread the thread and saw that most of it was mocking.

I saw a few posts on the last page that was getting a little more negative and I made an assumption pertaining to the rest of the thread.

I wasn't actually calling you guys out, that's fine making a silly comment on something like that.

Needless to say, I realized my mistake.

so they're fast..mechs?
I think we can all read pretty well dude.

What I meant to convey in that post was that most people were being too literal in their interpretation "These aren't mechs."

All I see him doing is trying to distance the "stigma" of slow mechs for all the COD players who want the same gameplay as cod but not the slow gameplay like mechwarrior.

Verendus

Banned
I'm going to coin a new phrase for awesome mechs. The kind that are fast, and electrify the millions.

Mechs? These aren't mechs. They're...Jehuties. That's plural. Just one is Jehuty.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ugghh... when I see the game in movies, it looks ok (decent FPS). And then as soon as respawn starts talking about it I lose interest.

They are mechs guys... stop being "we are americans!! fuck yeah!" and just move on with it.. the game looks ok... stop trying to be so heady with it..

-NeoTB1-

I don't understand why they're trying to hard to distance themselves from the term "mech" when that is essentially what we're dealing with here.

Respawn needs to get over themselves. I wasn't aware that the mechs were an issue to begin with for people.

Just cut the bullshit and call them mechs, Respawn. Hardly anyone's going to care. If there's any "stigma" at all it's overblown. Titanfall will still likely sell quite well.

morikaze

Banned
"These things aren't mechs.They are something totally new and different.The Titans are really an extension of the player.They are bigger,they are heavily armored,and they give you kind of a second life but they are agile,fun,and fast.They can dodge.It's not a feeling of something slow and lumbering.It really is an extension of you.You lose a little bit of agility because you can't jump,but on the ground these thingsare super agile tanks."

O_O

Verendus

Banned
A.O.G. (Armour of God)

T.A.N.K.S. (Totally Actionified Nuclear Killing Super-Machines)

Jehuties

Cocoons

Call me Respawn in case you need advice on words. I feel like I could be on a roll today. I might even create my own dictionary!

Top Bottom