• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: "Mech is kind of a dirty word with us. We don't like it."

GamerJM

Banned
I'm guessing they don't want to evoke anime because that would turn off the dudebro crowd or something.

They're mechs.

webkatt

And Zombies are not Zombies anymore they are Infected....

Soon Vampires will be known as Afflicted (with Death)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Probably doesn't like to hear the "Call of Duty with mechs" label being thrown around. Too bad, playboy.

Grief.exe

This whole thread

S4926G2.gif

So ridiculous that we latch onto this one thing that literally effects nothing.

What they choose to tangibly call something in their game is frankly irrelevant. Has nothing to do with the game design, their use of the 'cloud,' graphics, anything.

This was likely an hour long interview, and now we are taking very literally something that was likely said offhand.

Anyone else find it a little rude to purposefully try and distance themselves like this?

I mean obviously they're mechs

Parts of all video games nowadays are derivative get over yourselves

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I want to know when the hell the word Mech turned into a dirty word. When did the idea of a huge piloted humanoid robot filled to the gills with weapons become poison in the power fantasy loving manchild world of video games?
Mechs are for greasy nerds. These badass mechanical suits are named Titans because it comes from Greek and will make your fraternity proud of you.

If the robots in Pacific Rim are called Mechs, these are definitely Mechs. Period.
In Pacific Rim they're called Jaegers, tho.

IT'S A GUNDAM!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvJ6eFcCJE
Japan taught me mechs are some magical machines that extend the user's body and share their emotions, flying into space and and having heated sword battles.

Titanfall's vehicles seem like typical Western man-tanks.
You need to look up Armored Trooper VOTOMS or Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Japan does man-tanks too.

This reminds me when I ordered a slice of pizza at some restaurant and was corrected by the manager that its called "Flatbread with sauce and cheese".

It still tasted like Pizza.

Lunar15

I think they don't want to call them mechs because mechs give the player the idea that they're slow and hulking. But so does the term "Titan", so I have no idea.

Kade

This whole thread

S4926G2.gif

What they choose to tangibly call something in their game is frankly irrelevant. Has nothing to do with the game design, their use of the 'cloud,' graphics, anything.

This was likely an hour long interview, and now we are taking very literally something that was likely said offhand.

It's not as big a deal as GAF wants it to be. I'm definitely on team mech though.

Orayn

Japan taught me mechs are some magical machines that extend the user's body and share their emotions, flying into space and and having heated sword battles.

Titanfall's vehicles seem like typical Western man-tanks.

Japan pioneered both Real Robot and Super Robot, the West just tends to elaborate more on Real Robots.

massoluk

Banned
This whole thread

S4926G2.gif

You see anyone attacking game design, cloud, and graphics in this thread?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yeah this was in the Game Informer reveal. Interesting. I think this game looks fantastic, but there's nothing wrong with mechs. Just because Titans are more agile than say Mechwarrior mechs.

The way GameInformer framed the conversation about the word was frustrating.

This whole thread

S4926G2.gif

I think you're reading way to far into things. People are just having fun mocking a silly comment.

Brannon

How can Pacific Rim call them Jaegers? Are they able to break the sound barrier? It just doesn't seem right if not *scoff*

Grief.exe

It's not as big a deal as GAF wants it to be. I'm definitely on team mech though.

They are mechs, but I'm on team, 'who cares?'

Respawn can call them 'Rainbow, Candy-Land, Happy Time Suits' for all I care.

It literally effects nothing in terms of game development.

I think you're reading way to far into things. People are just having fun mocking a silly comment.

I think this whole thread is reading way too far into things.

Go back and read the thread, some are making a mockery of the comment. But many are taking it way too seriously.

Little bit of a strawman there since that wasn't my point.

Anteater

I'm sorry I made a post to poke fun of a silly comment and enjoying myself :(, I didn't even spend a lot of time making that silly post either

Grief.exe

I'm actually going to concede the point. I reread the thread and saw that most of it was mocking.

I saw a few posts on the last page that was getting a little more negative and I made an assumption pertaining to the rest of the thread.

I'm sorry I made a post to poke fun of a silly comment and enjoying myself :(, I didn't even spend a lot of time making that silly post either

I wasn't actually calling you guys out, that's fine making a silly comment on something like that.

wildfire

Banned
They are protomechs.

Nothing like battlemechs found inf mechwarrior/heavy gear/planetside or like mecha/gundams found in japanese media.

Protmechs are a unit in battletech that sit in between battlearmor and mechs.

They are small enough to act like infantry under certain conditions but carry armor and firepower that is mech grade with less severe constraints on armor, speed and volume.

Since western and eastern mechs aren't looked at so fondly in the other opposite culture I understand why some view mechs as a dirty word but it's foolish to stand your ground on a culture issue like this, especially in the manner he is taking. Just keep showing gameplay videos. It's harder to refute the better first impressions these can make.

V-Lance

Banned
Where's the problem with just calling them titans?

Yes, in Japanese fiction, these are called mechas. So what, every robot on two legs is now forever inspired by Japanese fiction and can only be called a mech?

I don't remember anyone flipping their shit because they're called "walkers" in bf2142, or "giant scary-ass cow robots" in MGS.

This whole thread

S4926G2.gif

Aren't they (Respawn) doing exactly the same? Latching onto what a particular vehicle is called and trying to spin it into something silly while failing to describe it in a way that makes it stand out from other vehicles which perform exactly the same.
But... you said that it in your post, as if somebody had discussed it here. So... Strawmanception?

Yes, in Japanese fiction, these are called mechas. So what, every robot on two legs is now forever inspired by Japanese fiction and can only be called a mech?

I don't remember anyone flipping their shit because they're called "walkers" in bf2142, or "giant scary-ass cow robots" in MGS.

It's fine to have your own name for it (titans, walkers, etc.)

But both of your examples fall into the mech category and I doubt anyone from those development teams said "these are not mechs"

A titan is an example of a mech

To say it's not is to arguably try distancing yourself from the japanese mech source material that most all other humanoid robots suit thingies (mechs :p) spawned from

It's rude in my opinion but just silly mostly

mechanized armor.... that's all a Titan is, so it's a "mech"

they're fast and agile, unlike what we're used to seeing, but they're still mechs. just fast ones!

Kade

It's the same thing with Warthogs in Halo. It's technically a jeep but it has a name within the lore. Same situation here. Everyone who plays the game will refer to them as Titans just like people in Halo refer to jeeps is Warthogs. Don't know anyone who refers to the Scattergun in TF2 as the Scout shotgun or the stickybomb launcher as the mine shooter either. Lore names stick.

They are mechs, but I'm on team, 'who cares?'

Respawn can call them 'Rainbow, Candy-Land, Happy Time Suits' for all I care.

It literally effects nothing in terms of game development.

I think this whole thread is reading way too far into things.

Go back and read the thread, some are making a mockery of the comment. But many are taking it way too seriously.

you're really emotional, you should calm the #%$#% down, and let people discuss the topic as they wish. Most of it is jokes, you really sound like your feelings are hurt because we aren't subscribing to Respawn's ideals.

What's so bad about mechs being called mechs? Honestly, it's not as if the mechs device has been overly saturated at all, and certainly not with quality titles. I don't think you could even name 10 quality titles that heavily involves mechs where the models couldn't have been replaced by DBZ characters or tanks.

I think most people are latching onto the "These aren't mechs." comment and aren't reading the full context from the game informer interview.

I could be wrong but what I interpret him trying to say is "these aren't your typical slow mechs."

Top Bottom