• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retail copies of GTA5 come on 7 DVD discs

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Talk to anyone who used to game in the mid-90's PC days. We were installing games off floppies for days.

IMG_6671.jpg

Y'all ain't shit

The best was when some random issue popped up like say, Disk 3 was faulty. Good times.

RedSwirl

I watch a lot of movies with mine. Buying software to get proper support does suck though.

Damn I had no idea you had to actually buy software to watch Blu-Ray movies. Nobody bundles software with a drive?

I was thinking of getting a Blu-Ray drive too since my system's hooked up to a TV, but then I think about buying a burner for backing up games on Blu-Rays, and those are still pretty expensive.

Madness

how about everything that spins dies

I don't know, I like owning my games in physical form. Plus, game sizes will only increase. What if soon games routinely hit over 100gb? You don't think two Blu-ray discs is simpler? Though, it doesn't make as much difference for PC'ers who are more digital downloads. But even then, in the era of data caps, it's asking a lot to download 65gb games already, and only increasing.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Damn I had no idea you had to actually buy software to watch Blu-Ray movies. Nobody bundles software with a drive?

I was thinking of getting a Blu-Ray drive too since my system's hooked up to a TV, but then I think about buying a burner for backing up games on Blu-Rays, and those are still pretty expensive.

I found playing movies from DVD was like this for bloody ages on PC too, but then again maybe it's just because I was younger and my Dad always had some shite software for playing DVDs.

jadedm17

I don't know many PCs (personally, but maybe i'm stuck in 2012) that have blu ray drives. None of the ones in my house do, and we bought a brand new laptop last year.

I don't have a BD drive and 60 gigs is quite a bit to download, which would make me not want to download it. Some people have ISP data caps. My PC is perfectly capable of running it, however. Your logic is not sound.

Will you back this up by buying this? If not then isn't your point just as silly? This is pretty funny if you ask me.

orava

I don't own optical drive anymore but if the box would be old school cardboard box sized and the game would activate on steam, i would definitely consider getting it like that.

R6fQkLm.jpg

smudge

I am 100% for selling games on thumb drives and it shouldn't be too expensive to produce them i mean shit i can walk in best buy and get a 16GB drive for like $8

I haven't had an optical drive in like 4 years.

Some companies already do this, Autodesk sell retail copies of AutoCAD on USB drives. The install files weigh in at around 70gb so it's pretty much a no brainer. Not sure about the costs but as the software is very expensive I'm not sure it matters.

I'm confused. How the hell did the Xbox 360 version of GTAV managed to fit in two DVDs? I know the PC version looks way better but still how did we go from 2 to 7???

Hell, even FFXIII which almost filled a PS3 Blu Ray managed to fit in "only" 3 Xbox 360 DVDs!

What the hell happened?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Couldn't have done a flash memory at this point?

Mulgrok

I'm confused. How the hell did the Xbox 360 version of GTAV managed to fit in two DVDs? I know the PC version looks way better but still how did we go from 2 to 7???

Hell, even FFXIII which almost filled a PS3 Blu Ray managed to fit in "only" 3 Xbox 360 DVDs!

What the hell happened?

The PC version has much higher quality textures and whatnot. Those take up a lot of space.

how about everything that spins dies

Fuck that. I just downloaded Shadow of Mordor on Steam which was 42GB(it took 2 days). It immediately reminded me of why I've been playing more on consoles for an extended period of time. Although the cheaper price made it somewhat more bearable.

RedSwirl

What the hell happened?

The PC version has much higher quality textures and whatnot. Those take up a lot of space.

That and I assume it's got GTA Online and Heists already on the discs.

Madness

What the hell happened?

Because this is the next gen remastered version with much higher textures, visual fidelity and even audio/music. This game is like 50-60gb in next gen terms. Plus, it contains a lot of the updates that came out for online last gen ie. Beach bum, hipster etc.

t26

I am 100% for selling games on thumb drives and it shouldn't be too expensive to produce them i mean shit i can walk in best buy and get a 16GB drive for like $8

I haven't had an optical drive in like 4 years.

Couldn't have done a flash memory at this point?

Flash memory is very expensive when printing 7 DVDs probably cost less than a $1

The best was when some random issue popped up like say, Disk 3 was faulty. Good times.

I got a virus that corrupted random reads from floppy so my (12 disc) install of Discworld kept failing for reasons I didn't understand. When it did install it had corrupted random files making an already damn hard adventure game literally impossible. It wasn't until PC Zone gave away a cover mounted virus scanner on their demo disc I discovered it.

Back OT the problem here is that consumer BD-ROM take up has been pretty small making a PC release on BD-ROM all but pointless. The steam hardware survey doesn't break down optical drive types unfortunately and the last IDC figures I can find had them at 4% in 2009 but that report is full of assumptions that are not true of the market today (it assumes notebooks will continue to have optical drives for example). I just don't see there being any other choice for distributing it physically.

Fuck that. I just downloaded Shadow of Mordor on Steam which was 42GB(it took 2 days). It immediately reminded me of why I've been playing more on consoles for an extended period of time. Although the cheaper price made it somewhat more bearable.

But that's a function of you having cave man internet , not an inherent problem with DD (dd has it's problems like complete lack of ownership rights)

My download speed off steam is faster than the read speed of my dvd drive, so downloading a game off of steam is faster than installing the same game from a (or multiple) dvds for me.
And for people with gigabit internet and ssds it's going to be even faster than my 200mb/s inet and 7200 rpm hard drive.

Disc drives (as in dvd/blu ray) are archaic technology. Their read speeds are absolutely pathetic (and their access times are tens of thousands to millions of times slower than solid state memory)
The only issue is that consumer protection laws have not caught up to the appearance of digital distribution (meaning if you buy a dd game then fuck you it's not yours and you will lose the ability to play it in time)

A dvd drive is to RAM ,an ssd, your hard drive or even a decent internet connection what punch cards are to floppy discs.

But that's a function of you having cave man internet , not an inherent problem with DD (dd has it's problems like complete lack of ownership rights)

My download speed off steam is faster than the read speed of my dvd drive, so downloading a game off of steam is faster than installing the same game from a (or multiple) dvds for me.
And for people with gigabit internet and ssds it's going to be even faster than my 200mb/s inet and 7200 rpm hard drive.

Disc drives (as in dvd/blu ray) are archaic technology. Their read speeds are absolutely pathetic (and their access times are tens of thousands to millions of times slower than solid state memory)
The only issue is that consumer protection laws have not caught up to the appearance of digital distribution (meaning if you buy a dd game then fuck you it's not yours and you will lose the ability to play it in time)

A dvd drive is to RAM ,an ssd, your hard drive or even a decent internet connection what punch cards are to floppy discs.

So? How is archaic internet my fault?

Your whole post just reeks of "Well it works fine for me, so deal with it!".

I never said DD was the problem, I merely stated how it isn't the optimum method for games distribution in my situation.

You can call disc-based media prehistoric as much as you like, doesn't change the fact that for a very high percentage of people it's still the most convenient way to buy a game.

GUN-NAC

I think it took me just over an hour to make disc images of MP3 (which is half the size of GTAV). It's not that bad. Getting the data off the discs isn't the only slow thing when installing games this big.

Ultratech

Talk to anyone who used to game in the mid-90's PC days. We were installing games off floppies for days.

IMG_6671.jpg

Y'all ain't shit

Oh god, I remember this now.

Luckily, I think the worst I had was maybe 5-6 floppies for one game.

But yeah, that wasn't fun. (Especially if a disc messed up.)

Was pretty awesome when we got our first CD-ROM drive installed though.

Krejlooc

Banned

IMG_6671.jpg

Y'all ain't shit

Ha, installing?

I have the amiga version of beneath a steel sky. Aside from having twice as many floppies as you picture, it doesn't install. You play directly from the floppies. Which means switching disks over, and over, and over, and over again.

Top Bottom