• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retail copies of GTA5 come on 7 DVD discs

Cidd

Talk to anyone who used to game in the mid-90's PC days. We were installing games off floppies for days.

IMG_6671.jpg

Y'all ain't shit

Oh the nightmares trying to install McAfee off 30 floppies back then....

Koren

i think the standard shifted to downloads
The issue with downloads is that you pay for a service instead of a video game.

From a legal point of view, it changes a lot of things, and that make me *really* reluctant to use digital downloads, even if it's convenient. Consumer protection is FAR worse with downloads than with discs.

It's even borderline stupid at times. France use reduced VAT for books, because as a cultural good, it should be made available for everyone as cheap as possible. They were doing the same for digital books. They've recently received a warning from the european institution saying they weren't allowed to do that, because ebooks are not books, but a digital service, and thus normal VAT should be used instead.

No it came on a single DVD.

It's 5 CD's.

I still have my original retail version of the Orange Box, which includes Half-Life 2, Episode 1, Episode 2, Portal and Team Fortress 2 on a two disc DVD set.
You're both right. Half-Life 2 launched with 2 packages. A single DVD disc version or 5 CD version with a price difference of $5-10 between the two back in 2004.

I bought the CD version of Half life 2 back then, and bought it again with the Orange Box which was a DVD.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I remember feeling like such a G because I was able to get the original Baldur's Gate on 1 DVD instead of like 6 CDs.

Nzyme32

Why's it on 7 discs? The 360 version used DVDs and was only 1 disc wasn't it?

The PC version isn't the 360 version. The size of all the assets / textures etc may be different, compression used may be different, with the game scaling across such a wide variety of hardware, there may be different assets and engine bits in there I guess

pSdU9Ku5_cE.jpg

we got them boxes today. photo of me holding it. they are fat. AC:Unity Bastille edition level fat. 14's gonna be a great day at work :)

Nothing is sad or funny here, it's a 60GB download and not everyone or every country has cheap or fast unlimited internet. look at the pre load thread many are saying it'll take ages to download for them and some saying they'll get the disc version.

I have fast internet with unlimited data and yet I still buy retail PC games from time to time (Dragon Age: Inqusiotion was the last time).

Steam price for GTAV:59€
Retail price: 49€

Why i would buy from Steam?

I have fast internet with unlimited data and yet I still buy retail PC games from time to time (Dragon Age: Inqusiotion was the last time).

Steam price for GTAV:59€
Retail price: 49€

Why i would buy from Steam?

working at reatail store we hear everyday people wondering how does it come games require Internet on PC now. Ofc I live in Russia, but that's no Zimbabwe, right guys!?

eso76

Huh what? All current gen system use Blu-ray disk.

Consoles yes, but BD isn't that common on PC from what I've seen.

Which is understandable: few reasons to have one besides movies, which very few people watch on PC anyway.
As recordable media they never took off for various reasons, and anything above DVD size you're probably better off downloading.

With Next gen dropping BD, 4k movies and internet bandwidth increasing everywhere, I believe blu-ray will become extinct in a few years.

Compression.

Nah, next gen versions are much beefier than PS360, weighting 50GB's vs 17 or so, and PC version is even more than that at 60.
Now, how much of those extra GB's are better assets and how much is uncompressed, or less compressed, sound and video I dunno.

Braag

Last year I bought couple of PC games at retail (I kinda like having the box).
But this year I went fully digital, it's just more convenient to download the entire game.

Enosh

On the other hand, PC has basically moved on to digital for everything anyway. I think the only thing I've used the disc drive on my computer for is ripping music from Club Nintendo CD's.
I'd really like to see some stats on this someday, especially world wide, I still think PC retail is larger than digital in a lot of places, but might just be anecdotal stuff

also steam is fucking rip off compared to some stores around here (5-10€ price difference), but most games come with a steam code anyway so meh

I'll be getting the physical version. My internet speed isn't the problem, it's the data cap. 100gb cap (highest possible plan), and it's an extra $15 for every gb I go over. So I'm not going to use 60% of my data on one game. Also my pc is more than capable of running this game (i7-960, 16gb ram, and a 980).

OmegaDL50

This is the Apple-way of doing business and I DON'T APPROVE! As others have mentioned, people have bandwidth caps or crappy download speeds necessitating physical content. I am going to keep my DVD/Blu-ray drive for as long as download speeds remain as crappy as they are...

They could have released the game on a unlockable SD card or USB stick in Fancy Packaging locked to read-only and would have accomplished the same thing, save space. Install faster, and not have any of the issues using as bandwidth caps or excess plastic waste in the form of 7 DVDs.

Even Windows / Linux / etc OS can install from a USB or Flash this day and age.

Having a DVD isn't the only viable method for physical media in terms of practicality.

That is truly horrifying.

Well to be fair, it's not really met for a lot of usage. I'm using Verizon's 4G. I live in a rural area so the only other choices are dial up (lol) and satellite. Satellite isn't that bad when it comes to speeds and limits, but the latency makes online gaming impossible.

So I'm stuck with Verizon.

On the bright side it looks cool.

wtf, why dont pc games come on blu ray by now?

Most PC people skipped blu ray and went straight for downloads.

Personally I haven't opened my PC's dvd tray in 4-5 years, it's still got the same blu tooth driver cd in it that I put in right after I made the PC. Why would I waste money on replacing it with a blu ray one.

And it's pretty safe to assume that applies to most people, considering even macbooks haven't had optical drives for years.

Disc storage is just antiquated.

Step it up PC, consoles had Blu-ray since like forever.

Don't be ignorant, so have PCs, people just don't care.

Grief.exe

Does the retail copy redeem on Steam?

Nope.

Well to be fair, it's not really met for a lot of usage. I'm using Verizon's 4G. I live in a rural area so the only other choices are dial up (lol) and satellite. Satellite isn't that bad when it comes to speeds and limits, but the latency makes online gaming impossible.

So I'm stuck with Verizon.

So you have an atypical scenario. Many people are stuck with bandwidth caps with major broadband providers. Disgusting.

That's a big call...maybe in America where super fast internet is common place, but here in Australia the % of households with internet quicker than adsl2+ are quite low. BD is still huge here and will continue to be for a long time (hell DVD is still as popular as ever)

Average American internet speeds are terrible. We are in this together.

Tainted

Consoles yes, but BD isn't that common on PC from what I've seen.

Which is understandable: few reasons to have one besides movies, which very few people watch on PC anyway.
As recordable media they never took off for various reasons, and anything above DVD size you're probably better off downloading.

With Next gen dropping BD, 4k movies and internet bandwidth increasing everywhere, I believe blu-ray will become extinct in a few years.

That's a big call...maybe in America where super fast internet is common place, but here in Australia the % of households with internet quicker than adsl2+ are quite low. BD is still huge here and will continue to be for a long time (hell DVD is still as popular as ever)

The last time I was in America (in 2013), it was pretty clear optical formats were dying. For comparison, the first time I went over in 2005, you could find any DVD you were looking for quite easily. DVD stores still existed in great number.

In 2013, it was like a ghost town. I think the best I could find was a decent stock selection at a Barnes and Noble and a smallish selection at a Best Buy. I was actually pretty gutted, I had all these ideas of going over and just stock piling a whole bunch of Criterion BD's thinking that Best Buy would be like our JB HiFi (only bigger)...so I was quite gutted to find that optical media is pretty much a dying format in that country.

Here in Australia it still has some shelf life...granted, that's because our Internet sucks, but in America it seems DVD is dead and Blu Ray never really caught on. At least that's what one of the check out girls told me at the time as I lamented to her just how paltry the selection had gotten from my time there in 2005.

I know here in Australia BD still has some life and I sort of wonder how it is for other countries. I know Japan is still more of an optical medium country (or at least Blu Ray seems to still sell over there every time I've been there), but yeah, it would seem that Blu Ray never caught on worldwide the same way DVD did.

As for GTA V, I wouldn't have mind if they had thrown in an extra BD disc for those who do have BD drives. I don't want to download 60GB on my completely poor Telstra connection.

Tainted

The last time I was in America (in 2013), it was pretty clear optical formats were dying. For comparison, the first time I went over in 2005, you could find any DVD you were looking for quite easily. DVD stores still existed in great number.

In 2013, it was like a ghost town. I think the best I could find was a decent stock selection at a Barnes and Noble and a smallish selection at a Best Buy. I was actually pretty gutted, I had all these ideas of going over and just stock piling a whole bunch of Criterion BD's thinking that Best Buy would be like our JB HiFi (only bigger)...so I was quite gutted to find that optical media is pretty much a dying format in that country.

Here in Australia it still has some shelf life...granted, that's because our Internet sucks, but in America it seems DVD is dead and Blu Ray never really caught on. At least that's what one of the check out girls told me at the time as I lamented to her just how paltry the selection had gotten from my time there in 2005.

I know here in Australia BD still has some life and I sort of wonder how it is for other countries. I know Japan is still more of an optical medium country (or at least Blu Ray seems to still sell over there every time I've been there), but yeah, it would seem that Blu Ray never caught on worldwide the same way DVD did.

As for GTA V, I wouldn't have mind if they had thrown in an extra BD disc for those who do have BD drives. I don't want to download 60GB on my completely poor Telstra connection.

Thanks for this...I didn't realise optical media was in such a poor state of affairs over there, but it just highlights to me the discrepancy of the internet between the 2 countries.

Its one thing that the average american household have internet speeds 2 or 3 times quicker than ours but the other main factor is quotas. If I researched it a bit more...I predict the gap between the 2 counties would be further apart than speeds.

It is getting better here though with some ISPs offering unlimited data...but there are way many more people here hamstrung by data limits (especially those on NBN)

Talk to anyone who used to game in the mid-90's PC days. We were installing games off floppies for days.

IMG_6671.jpg

Y'all ain't shit

Man, now I just feel old. Remember when Windows 95 came out on something like 25 floppy discs? Holy crap, that was a bastard to install.

Hell, this is the second time in two weeks I've felt old due to a floppy disc reference. When my buddy and I went and saw The Fast and the Furious last week (the original was screening before the new movie), a group of millennial types started laughing at the sight of an old floppy disc. My friend and I scoffed at it, but it was a reminder of holy crap we're getting old that floppy discs are apparently now funny ancient looking things to the millennial type.

xemumanic

This same thing happened to me for CoD AW. I bought the disc version because it saved me 50+ GB of downloading on my then 3Mbit DSL. I'd gladly do this again for GTA V, even now that I have a 15mbit connection.

Additionally, this is what both the Xbox One and PS4 should have done. This way, you can have a CD key that is verified during installation and tied to your account, and installed on your HDD. Then you can put the disc away or trash it if you feel like, or use it for trade in later on, at which time the retailer can remove the game from your Xbox Live or PSN account. Best of both the digital and physical worlds.

But damnit, disc based PC games should be on Blu Ray already. It's been years now that this should be the case. I know most use Steam nowadays, but not all do, and it would help even those of us who prefer to, because it saves on bandwidth caps.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I'll be getting the physical version. My internet speed isn't the problem, it's the data cap. 100gb cap (highest possible plan), and it's an extra $15 for every gb I go over. So I'm not going to use 60% of my data on one game. Also my pc is more than capable of running this game (i7-960, 16gb ram, and a 980).

Holy shit how is this possible?

Thanks for this...I didn't realise optical media was in such a poor state of affairs over there, but it just highlights to me the discrepancy of the internet between the 2 countries.

Its one thing that the average american household have internet speeds 2 or 3 times quicker than ours but the other main factor is quotas. If I researched it a bit more...I predict the gap between the 2 counties would be further apart than speeds.

It is getting better here though with some ISPs offering unlimited data...but there are way many more people here hamstrung by data limits (especially those on NBN)

Well, at least in America it seems to be almost dead. I'm not sure about Europe. Japan seems to still favour optical mediums. Hell, CD stores are still alive and thriving in that country. It amazes me that in 2015, Tower Records is still a thing in Japan. And yet South Korea has apparently struggled with the BD market (from what I've read over at Blu Ray.com forums). I don't know, I think the format's popularity is a bit hit and miss. I don't think that means its extinct though like someone else said. Its still being used for the current gen consoles and until they go full digital download then I don't think its extinct. It just never caught on the same way DVD's did.

Yeah, granted we are slowly catching up with the world. So I guess it is a good thing that we're slowly getting there.

Green Yoshi

360 version is 2 DVDs. one for install and one for play. I think some big games did this recently quite often.

I have read that disc reading speed is slower on dual-layer discs on 360.

@Topic: It surprises me that there is no Blu-ray version, too. I guess The Witcher 3 will have 6 or 7 discs as well.

Top Bottom