• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retail copies of GTA5 come on 7 DVD discs

Yudoken

I wouldn't buy it as a disc version, Steam is the way to go and the disc version is the social club version.

It's almost as if the game is over 50 gigs or someth-

Oh wait.

This is a beautiful set. I'd love to own this, I mean, look at all that artwork that you DD suckers wont have in that medium. How is this surprising though? Is it because it's coming out on DVD?
I dunno about others, but I kinda like having a big package like that since I'm a collector. It almost looks like a special edition.
This ^ A SE version of the game that warrants SE's, but they were only on PS3/XB360, so all next gen players miss out. This kind of makes up for it, a little I think.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This seems pointless to have...collectors aside who are like less than 1% of the market, PC gamers don't even have physical things anymore.

Only the console ecosystem even cares about packaged goods anymore really outside of the HW

Oppo

fun facts I just looked up

Amiga floppy = 880k
BaSS = 15 floppies
= 13,200 Kilobytes or 13.2 Megabytes

BaSS Remastered for iOS = 144 Megabytes
roughly 10X bigger

you gotta wonder how much of that is 32/64bit address space

Damn, that is dope. If GTAV came with all those inserts and a map I would buy a physical copy.

If I could I would buy GTA V physical, just to keep the tradition.

I remember when DVDs were the hot shit, like it made you believe the game was really high end.

man this game needs a dvd drive it must be sick

Exactly, I remember when I got GTA:SA, I thought "wow, how did they manage to get all this in a single disk? Are they wizards?"

DeaviL

Banned
Just gonna buy this, don't feel like downloading 60 damn gigabytes.
I've recently bought a new PC and it's standard DVD, so i'll be happy to switch some discs.

Daedardus

I remember someone jokingly shopped Crysis (or a similar game, I don't know anymore) on a big bunch of floppies. I can't find it anymore though. Did I imagine things?

Khasim

Physical releases are still 20-30% cheaper than the digital ones where I live, so I'd appreciate a BR version without having to swap a disc six times, since I do own a BR drive, but I understand that it might be deemed unprofitable.

Sucks though, I'm not looking forward to the inevitable all-digital future. I like seeing games on my shelf.

Pandy

Talk to anyone who used to game in the mid-90's PC days. We were installing games off floppies for days.

IMG_6671.jpg

Y'all ain't shit
This was going to be my post. :)

Kezen

Banned
Exactly, I remember when I got GTA:SA, I thought "wow, how did they manage to get all this in a single disk? Are they wizards?"
The same thought crossed my mind when seeing Far Cry (only available on DVDs where I live) and I was like "wow this game can't fit on cd roms the graphics must be insane!".

I remember at that time (2004) a DVD drive was a must in a gaming PC, Half-Life 2 released exclusively on DVDs as well, so did quite a lot of games, very quickly cd roms were outdated.

When the PS3 and the blu-ray arrived I was convinced the same would happen anew but it didn't. If you told me in 2004 that I would still be buying games on DVDs ten years after I would have never believed it.

But frankly it does not matter that much, it is a very minor annoyance to have to switch discs during the installation process. Shipping PC games on blu-ray would not change anything.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
how about everything that spins dies

Not everyone have fast internet with unlimited bandwidth. if you read the GTA pre load thread you'll see many people complaining. it's also why retail for PC is still big in Europe and other regions.

and outside of games, blu-ray still give you better image and audio quality for movie than streaming even with super fast internet. so yeah.

They're like $40. People just don't care about having them in their PCs.

because PC publisher still use DVDs for games and watching blu-ray on PC is a big hassle (since free programs sucks at it unless you pay for CyberLink PowerDVD)

This seems like a huge waste, if a person doesn't have a BD drive and/or fast enough internet to download the game, they probably don't have a PC capable of playing it. Just throw a BD copy in a box w/ a key and call it a day.

I have a $1500 PC I built that doesn't have a blu-ray drive that can play GTAV. Does this mean my PC doesn't exist?

Derpcrawler

that aint nothin compared to windows 8

Is this real? Why would anyone install Windows 8 from a floppy drive and not USB? I mean if machine can handle Windows 8, it must have USB. Hell, USB1.1 is ancient, like WIndows 98 ancient and it was time when floppy disks started to die out slowly.

openrob

Yeah it took me by suprise when I accidentally ordered a physical copy of Shadow of Mordor and it came on 5 discs.

nowarning

It did cross my mind to buy the game in a physical format, though to be honest I didn't even think about the amount of discs it would need to be on. It's been a while since I've bought a physical PC game and having played on consoles it's just something I don't really think about.

In the end I ordered it on Steam, I had some money in my wallet from a CS:GO weapon so I used that. My reasoning being that I can't see it being much cheaper than £39.99 on Steam for a while, I've essentially gotten it for free due to said Steam monies and I can pre-load it and be ready to play.

When I built my system I did dabble with the idea of a blu-ray drive but ultimately I decided there's no point, I have a PS3 if I want to watch a film and the vast majority of games I buy for PC are digital.

Ploid 3.0

I was thinking about getting physical copy whenever I got around to buying this, and I just remembered I didn't even have my dvd drive connected to my motherboard thanks to this thread.

Is this real? Why would anyone install Windows 8 from a floppy drive and not USB? I mean if machine can handle Windows 8, it must have USB. Hell, USB1.1 is ancient, like WIndows 98 ancient and it was time when floppy disks started to die out slowly.

Are YOU for real? xD

UnrealEck

wtf, why dont pc games come on blu ray by now?

As mentioned, nobody gives a crap about blu-ray with a PC. Most people these days have huge hard drives and decent internet where they can download a game and store it for years or if they have fast internet, download it within a couple of hours.

Kezen

Banned
Nothing sad or funny here, it's a 60GB download and not everyone or every country has cheap or fast unlimited internet. look at the pre load thread are saying it'll take ages to download and some saying they'll get the disc version.

That's me for instance. Sorry but when your internet is not fast physical is the best option.
And it's coming from someone who would sack off physical in an instant.

Nzyme32

ahahahahahah

oh man

this is so sad

ahahahahah

Considering the game will run on machines from 2008, it seems pretty reasonable to include DVD versions for such people or those without bandwidth. PCs have gone from DVD straight to digital distribution.

Bluray drives are available extremely cheaply, but no one cares for them as a medium on PC or as a distribution channel for content over digital downloads. Sony even call that out themselves as they had to cut their profit forcast due to Bluray's failings, describing it as "physical media contracting faster than expected"

Chris R

If I do get the game for PC it will be this way.

No way can I use 1/5 of my monthly bandwidth (already shared between two other roommates) for a game :(

danmaku

If the package is as good as GTA4, I could get it. It came with a map and a fantastic fake brochure for tourists. Perfect to get in the mood for GTA.

Salsa

Not everyone have fast internet with unlimited bandwidth. if you read the GTA pre load thread you'll see many people complaining. it's also why retail for PC is still big in Europe and other regions.

In a world of bandwidth caps and undefined longetivity of digital software, no thanks.

im talking sell games on fucking USB sticks for all I care

I don't even like regular hard drives. those spin too

I don't like spinning loading media go away. everything be ssds

Would at least like the option to purchase in different formats at this point. I realize that would drive up distribution costs but being able to order a blu ray version would be great, and those that don't have a drive could stick with the DVD version. Movies do it.

Top Bottom