• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retail copies of GTA5 come on 7 DVD discs

petran79

Banned
lol reminded me of the old days....

cds.jpg

that game required just one disc for install though. GTA will require all of the discs probably

gafneo

Banned
Why not on bluray? All that PC upgrading people go through and a disk drive swap out is too much to ask for?

Look how long it took for the PC retail games to come out of the dark ages that were CD's!

My current PC doesn't even have a Blu-Ray drive. It is one of those things that I keep telling myself that I should buy since they are incredibly cheap. But I haven't had any use for a disc drive outside of installing Windows.

Grief.exe

Why not on bluray? All that PC upgrading people go through and a disk drive swap out is too much to ask for?

DVD drives are ubiquitous, and cheap, among those who use physical media. Adding unnecessary requirements may lock out potential purchases.

I also don't know what the break even point for manufacturing would be, between using less overall discs against licensing cost for Blu Ray.

Physical releases are still 20-30% cheaper than the digital ones where I live, so I'd appreciate a BR version without having to swap a disc six times, since I do own a BR drive, but I understand that it might be deemed unprofitable.

Sucks though, I'm not looking forward to the inevitable all-digital future. I like seeing games on my shelf.

Just redeem the serial key inside the game case on Social Club and you can download the game instead. I do that for many Steam games, buy a physical copy and then just download. I don't even have a DVD drive.

Personally I like the look of it. I don't understand the hoohah about the number of discs anyway. Once you have all the files installed you don't need the discs again (there is no disk check according to the readme file).

Looks like a pretty cool collection of GTA 5 artwork any GTA fan would want to have and once the game is installed you can put the discs away for prosperity. I would probably go with the disc based version myself and not because i have a crap internet or anything like that but because it would be a cool thing to add to my collection.

Sirim

This seems like a huge waste, if a person doesn't have a BD drive and/or fast enough internet to download the game, they probably don't have a PC capable of playing it. Just throw a BD copy in a box w/ a key and call it a day.
This...makes no sense.

how about everything that spins dies

This is the Apple-way of doing business and I DON'T APPROVE! As others have mentioned, people have bandwidth caps or crappy download speeds necessitating physical content. I am going to keep my DVD/Blu-ray drive for as long as download speeds remain as crappy as they are...

Remember how everyone gave credit to the DVD player in the Playstation 2 for a huge chunk of the console's early sales? And how people did the same for the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 (which also probably helped cement Blu-Ray as the HD disc format of choice)? They're video game consoles, but it turned out a significant number of people bought them because they could play movies relatively cheaply.

Wonder why PCs never really transitioned off DVDs to Blu-Rays? Because actually watching Blu-Ray discs on computers is a fucking nightmare compared to DVDs. The DRM schemes required to make Blu-Rays play are so ridiculous that you basically can't watch movies legitimately unless you a) make sure all your monitors are HDCP-compliant (and physically unplug any monitors that aren't), b) turn off all Aero effects, and c) only ever use the player software bundled with the drive or a more expensive updated version, not the many free options like VLC and Media Player Classic that are widely used. In other words, the primary use for a Blu-Ray player is painful on a PC, and there are few other compelling reasons to own a drive.

That, plus the high cost of recordable media (especially compared to NAS and online backup options), is why Blu-Ray players aren't that common on PCs, and thus why GTA V PC is coming out on seven DVDs.

Salsa

This is the Apple-way of doing business and I DON'T APPROVE! As others have mentioned, people have bandwidth caps or crappy download speeds necessitating physical content. I am going to keep my DVD/Blu-ray drive for as long as download speeds remain as crappy as they are...

see my further posts

Me being a Pc blu-ray drive user feels like im an endagered species or something hah :D

Also, people like with crappy download speeds AND who enjoy physical editions like having the games on disc.

But come on, there should be a blurat edition. The same happened with UT2004, most of the world was rocking dvd drives and us europeans got the crappy cds edition

Weevilone

I confess to having the disk version on the way. I really, really hope it can be registered on Steam.

For some reason when Target did their buy 2 get 1 free promotion, they included GTAV preorder.

Lucifon

This seems like a huge waste, if a person doesn't have a BD drive and/or fast enough internet to download the game, they probably don't have a PC capable of playing it. Just throw a BD copy in a box w/ a key and call it a day.

I don't know one person who's buying the game who has a Blueray drive, and all of those people have more than capable PCs, including myself...

nowarning

I think UT 2004 was 5 install discs and 1 play disc.

$_12.JPG

Ahh, makes sense that it's a few more than UT 2003!

I'm pretty much done with discs for PC games now, although on the other hand I always find PSN slow to download games, I stick with physical copies for playstation consoles. The digital games I do have on PS3 were a nightmare, slow downloads then a lengthy install time.

Not true. PC's would have migrated over to blu ray long ago if it werent for digital distribution. Like other in the thread have said, i dont even remember the last time i even used my dvd drive. It's not ever going to happen for PC's.

Weevilone

I mean 'free' in that case is a marketing gimmick. I think you mean 30% off.

Not when you're buying the other 2 games at full price regardless.

I'm picking up 2 retail console games, and I'm planning to also get GTAV on Steam.

I still picked up both console games, which would have otherwise been Amazon preorders. I didn't pay for GTAV. Sure, it can also be viewed as 1/3 off the entire purchase, but there is no functional difference. I'll consider it a gimmick when it results in me buying something I don't want.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
PC games are still released on DVD? Why?

I don't have a "gaming PC" and even my computer from 2012 has a bluray drive.

DeaviL

Banned
PC games are still released on DVD? Why?

I don't have a "gaming PC" and even my computer from 2012 has a bluray drive.

The frequency at which most PC gamers use disks is so low, that €40 (correction: cheapest i found at a local store was €70, yikes) for a bluray drive is a waste.
You'd usually have DVD drive lying around, and a decent new one costs about €10.

Hawkmosis

Banned
Would prefer a blueray but whateves
! I'm just happy they are still selling disc versions i get 60gigs per month with the first 10gig overages being 5$ per gig and 2$ afterwards DISC VERSIONS FER LIFE!

Before I clicked on this topic, I wondered if someone was going to post the Xbox 360 MGS4 picture. The 3rd post did not disappoint me.

Top Bottom