• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retailer Micromania fears Wii U 'industrial accident', adresses PS4 shortages

ryanofcall

Because Nintendo promised third party support.

The Nintendo panic mode is a myth isn't it? What have they achieved through panic?

Hmm well yeah that's true. Well they had the first few months until third party realised (again): nobody's buying third party on Nintendo platforms

Idk wasn't the Wii 'panic-mode' after NGC and 64 didn't sell soooo good? xD

Log4Girlz

Well it's a real shame that Nintendo don't have any system selling software on the way this year. [/sarcasm]

It is a shame. Without sales momentum, which is a sign of consumer interest, all games released on the system are destined only to sell to the existing base. Very few units will be shifted. No game will have a major impact.

Griss

In Switzerland, some retailers started accepting PS4 preorders in late December for April.

In Ireland, we were being told March/April the day after launch, basically early December. It is insane. I went away for Christmas and thought it'd be easier to find when I got back, but no. It's dynamite.

Well, releasing year old/unoptimized ports really wasn't the way to go about things. Zombiu did ok, i think.

Ubisoft said ZombiU did badly last time they mentioned it iirc...

And even when third party releases came out day and date with other versions, the Wii U versions still sold like crap.

Sneds

Hmm well yeah that's true. Well they had the first few months until third party realised (again): nobody's buying third party on Nintendo platforms

Idk wasn't the Wii 'panic-mode' after NGC and 64 didn't sell soooo good? xD

No, I don't think so. The Wii came out of Nintendo's family-friendly philosophy. It wasn't so much panic as it was logical progression from the GC. You can see that if you read Emily Roger's article on GC development.

Besides, being told to wait for Nintendo's next console can't be much solace for Wii U owners.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The president of Micromania also mentioned the shortages in PlayStation 4 stocks, saying that the orders placed after December 27 could not be honored until march, despite the regular restockings from Sony.

Damn! Despite regular restocking from Sony...

......Damn........

Wii U news is old news now...more interested if Sony can keep up with demand. But I feel Nintendo has to be fuming about Wii U sales. Unless Wii and Wii U game sales can be a bright spot.

Sorry....but to have just one game like GTA V absent from the Wii U last year....is astonishing. Some multi platform games did show up tho...so that has to be somewhat encouraging. Just have less gimped versions of multi plat games and it should be fine. So far all I got is Epic Mickey 2...and it looks fine. Play fine is another story....because going solo....Oswald seems to have a mind of his own. Its like the game is forcing you to have a partner play as Oswald.

Sneds

Damn! Despite regular restocking from Sony...

......Damn........

Wii U news is old news now...more interested if Sony can keep up with demand. But I feel Nintendo has to be fuming about Wii U sales. Unless Wii and Wii U game sales can be a bright spot.

Sorry....but to have just one game like GTA V absent from the Wii U last year....is astonishing. Some multi platform games did show up tho...so that has to be somewhat encouraging. Just have less gimped versions of multi plat games and it should be fine. So far all I got is Epic Mickey 2...and it looks fine. Play fine is another story....because going solo....Oswald seems to have a mind of his own. Its like the game is forcing you to have a partner play as Oswald.

It seems as though the Wii U will have less, rather than more, third party support going forward. That's even with crossgen games.

Can anyone predict when big publishes will stop making games crossgen?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
"Industrial accident", ouch. That term is going to crop up in the future.

Wii U's situation is really hammered home when you read that Gamecube retrospective. Especially the quotes about how they said no one would buy a DVD player which could only play the few films from one studio a year. They knew the problem, but thought the solution was just increasing their own output rather than the obvious solution which was letting other studios fill the gap. Which is arguably what helped them most in the N64 days with Rare. With the jump in specs from DS->3DS, and the move to HD with Wii U they just can't increase their output enough and it was foolish to think they could.

There was another article about the Wii's development a while ago where they talked of considering a dual-screen console but rejected it because they wanted to keep console and handheld distinct. So Wii U was already a concept that they saw problems with, but went with it for lack of confidence in anything else. Born out really by how badly they have leveraged the gamepad as a worthwhile addition, they just don't know what to do with it.

With Wii U now you've got the equivalent of a Pixar box. Great games, different to everything else, and polished to the n'th degree but would anyone buy a box just for them? Only the very faithful, or those who want a companion box to round out their games collection. Too expensive to have much appeal as a companion box though, and the 3DS is much more viable companion device if you just want Nintendo games.

I'd hate to be Iwata right now because I really don't see where they go next. They can knuckle down and ride it out as before but they are under assault from all sides. With everything converging they are isolating themselves as a much-loved relic of how things used to be. As time goes on even that love will subside though.

gemoran4

I disagree, my general impression is that almost everybody that has a Wii U is in love with it. But maybe thats because only the die hard Nintendo-fanboys have one at this point.

I'm definitely not in love with it and I own one. The system feels barren in terms of software. Not saying there aren't any good games for it (i enjoyed pikmin and 3d world), but after years of having a 360 and a PS3, going to this console has felt underwhelming to say the least. I will say I do really enjoy the gamepad, even if it's screen is mostly used as an inventory/map screen. Admittedly when i bought it, i was hoping to see more games that experimented with the gamepad/tv design like ZombiU attempted, and outside of Nintendo Land, ZombiU and maybe W101 (haven't tried it), no games have really made an attempt.

FourMyle

It is a shame. Without sales momentum, which is a sign of consumer interest, all games released on the system are destined only to sell to the existing base. Very few units will be shifted. No game will have a major impact.

Common sense will never get through someone so delusional.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm definitely not in love with it and I own one. The system feels barren in terms of software. Not saying there aren't any good games for it (i enjoyed pikmin and 3d world), but after years of having a 360 and a PS3, going to this console has felt underwhelming to say the least. I will say I do really enjoy the gamepad, even if it's screen is mostly used as an inventory/map screen. Admittedly when i bought it, i was hoping to see more games that experimented with the gamepad/tv design like ZombiU attempted, and outside of Nintendo Land, ZombiU and maybe W101 (haven't tried it), no games have really made an attempt.

The Gamepad is unusual for Nintendo, in that it's clear it wasn't designed with any single game in mind. It wasn't to open up new game concepts, merely allow the potential maybe possibly somewhere down the line. All that 'asynchronous' guff they came out with always felt hollow. The appeal and application of that is limited, they'd tried it before, and Nintendoland was less proof-of-concept and more 'do something with it'. When that was their big reveal for it the alarm bells started ringing.

I like the Wii U and the gamepad, but it feels more of a nice extra than something essential which means the whole concept of the system just isn't that essential. It's caught in that awkward place where you like it when you've got it but it isn't something that most people will feel they need.

I know Mario Kart is the "Wait for..." for me.

My kid is crazy about Mario Kart, he wanted a 3DS for nothing else (though I since got him hooked on 3D Land).

I wonder if Nintendo can survive just catering to their core demographic and only get occasional 3rd party support.

Damn! Wasn't France a huge bastion of Nintendo support last gen? Distressing news for Wii U fans, I suppose, but to be the far more distressing news was the PS4 order fulfillment time. March? I say gat damn.

Off topic, but when I was scrolling through that old "Yay, another Mario game" thread I noticed noobasaur was banned. When did that happen?

Damn! Wasn't France a huge bastion of Nintendo support last gen? Distressing news for Wii U fans, I suppose, but to be the far more distressing news was the PS4 order fulfillment time. March? I say gat damn.

Off topic, but when I was scrolling through that old "Yay, another Mario game" thread I noticed noobasaur was banned. When did that happen?

Just in time for Destiny and Watch Dogs!

Top Bottom