• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Achievements!

I loved the fact that you could lie about beating a game or use cheat codes and people would of never known haha. Or even fucking game genied that shit. To this day is someone said they beat Ghosts and Ghouls I would never believe them period.

Amazing. I use my Shield for emulation though, I doubt they'll be able to port to Android since MS VC++ is required.

Same here, If I sit down in front of my computer it is to play modern games, all my retro stuff is done on portables.

Hopefully one day they port this stuff to Android, it would be great.

Damigos

Despite the fact that i enjoy achivements/trophies, i feel that it is wrong adding them to retro titles..
Don't know why. It's....just wrong :)

OuiOuiBa

Similar to this, I have been recently thinking that hi-scores / replays databases such as MARP might get more activity if the submit process was automagic (provided you tick an option somewhere).

I cannot wait to try this / look at how it was implemented / try to submit new achievements.
Just like netplay, this sounds like a nice way to add to the original experience, especially if more advanced/complex achievements eventually get implemented.

Despite the fact that i enjoy achivements/trophies, i feel that it is wrong adding them to retro titles..
Don't know why. It's....just wrong :)

When they're well done, cheese mints are a really good way to add replay value to your favourite games. I've played some SNES games dozens of times at this point, but if I had a little challenge metagame to drive me I'd play them again in a heartbeat despite there not being anything new to be found in the game for me otherwise.

this is actually really awesome to see right here

The projects the RA emulators are based on all have Android ports I'm pretty sure, so it's very doable. In that thread one of the devs says that the ideal solution would be for someone who ported the original codebase to add their code to the ported project, which makes sense.

So does this work with any old ROM as long as it's booted through the Retro Achievement thing?

As long as someone has added the cheevos to the emulator for that game it should work just like that!

terrisus

There are save states but you get double the achievement points for playing on hardcore mode, which disables save states.

Feels like something like this would be fairly pointless with save states anyway.

It's what makes high-score competitions in Wii U and 3DS games completely pointless.

FYC

Banned
Man this shit is radical, going through some of my old GBA games!

I didn't know about Hardcore mode until I had already started. Oh well.

FYC

Banned
Yo Irish, I think your list is missin' Robin64

I wonder if you can add achievements to already-supported games, got some ideas. Hopefully I have the willpower to learn how.

DryvBy

I can't see it right now but is there a Harvest Moon and Chrono Trigger achievement list? Because if so, I know what I'm making excuses to play this weekend.

FYC

Banned
I can't see it right now but is there a Harvest Moon and Chrono Trigger achievement list? Because if so, I know what I'm making excuses to play this weekend.

I don't think Harvest Moon is supported, but Chrono Trigger is.

Some of these achievements are glitched. For example, I was playing Star Fox, and made it to the Black Hole for the first time. After entering Sector Y, I got the "Can't Believe Pepper Has To Test Us!!" achievement (fly through 100 rings in a row in Training). Also, when I got to Venom, it gave me credit for reaching Venom in Course 1 and 2 at the same time, even though I haven't been there in Course 1 yet. I Game Over'd at the Metal Smasher, and went through Course 1 normally and beat it, but it doesn't give the achievement. No one else has gotten it either.

been testing out some games, NES emulator doesnt work at all, just gives a black screen :(

SNES seems to have some slowdown too, games just feel slow :/

Megadrive seems to run fine :D

Need to tinker with the settings some more later on...

FYC

Banned
Some of these achievements are glitched. For example, I was playing Star Fox, and made it to the Black Hole for the first time. After entering Sector Y, I got the "Can't Believe Pepper Has To Test Us!!" achievement (fly through 100 rings in a row in Training). Also, when I got to Venom, it gave me credit for reaching Venom in Course 1 and 2 at the same time, even though I haven't been there in Course 1 yet. I Game Over'd at the Metal Smasher, and went through Course 1 normally and beat it, but it doesn't give the achievement. No one else has gotten it either.

Yeah, there's a few bugged ones. You just have to post on the forum and / or contact the person who worked on the achivements.

Kinsei

Banned
They seem to be really good at taking peoples suggestions and implementing them if possible. I managed to get a new achievement added to DKC3. Really makes me wonder what the site will be like a year from now, this has the potential to be huge.

Garcia

I just felt a nostalgia rush flowing through my veins.

If you play any Megaman game (with Hardcore Mode active) the only way to continue is through its password input of red and blue dots. The last time I did this was over 15 years ago. It feels amazing to have good reasons to play the games old-style. :)

been testing out some games, NES emulator doesnt work at all, just gives a black screen :(

SNES seems to have some slowdown too, games just feel slow :/

Megadrive seems to run fine :D

Need to tinker with the settings some more later on...

For the NES black screen: You have to turn on the Hardware Acceleration options under the Video menu. Many are running into this problem but that tweak turns the screen back on. Go try it out.

They seem to be really good at taking peoples suggestions and implementing them if possible. I managed to get a new achievement added to DKC3. Really makes me wonder what the site will be like a year from now, this has the potential to be huge.

Yup, notice you have been very active there. I like that you can erase you cheevos. I have a notepad full of ideas for Ranger X, Shadow Dancer and Last Battle. Just need to challenge myself and see.

IrishNinja

the Genesis Shinobi Trilogy is down! thnk it's time i move onto another series, haha. not quite sure what game i'm gonna play next, gonna try something different for a bit.

also i'l update the OP with new members later!

IrishNinja

man i play the fuck outta SOR, i dunno if i can do em just yet but soon enough ill just wanna hear Yuzo & knock em out, haha. tonight was metroidvania and now that you mention beat-em-ups i might finally replay Batman Returns (SNES)!

for whatever reason i cannot get the NES emu to work; audio but no video. shit's weird.

Garcia

That beautiful moment when you start a run of Super Metroid after so many years and find out you still remember where most hidden passages are in the game.

The way it rewards your curiosity and its sequence-breakable nature are something you rarely see in videogames these days. Such a timeless masterpiece.

I think they might be adding an N64 emulator soon if this is anything to go off of. http://retroachievements.org/awardedList.php?s=1&o=0&p=0&i=2

Yes! Good times ahead! :D

IrishNinja

I never did finish Zombies Ate My Neighbors, despite it being one of my all-time favorites...might have to try again!

Garcia

I never did finish Zombies Ate My Neighbors, despite it being one of my all-time favorites...might have to try again!

It is very challenging and quite fun for the first 20-30 levels. After that I felt it became more of a chore to go through. I tried finishing it last year but didn't force myself into the later levels. That giant baby boss was so random, lol.

Just want to say that damn do I love MUSHA, possibly the best shmup from that era of consoles.

Haven't heard of it before. Will check it out later, big fan of shmups here.

Kinsei

Banned
The "Cheerleaders VS. the Monsters" achievement in Zombies Ate My Neighbors is cruel. I almost had it but a football player knocked me away from the last cheerleader and then a martian killed her. I tried to cheat and just use a password to warp to the level but it didn't count.

I'm so close to finishing the game but I don't think I'll ever get that achievement,

Garcia

To the guys that came up with the idea of a Hardcore Mode: Thank you so much. It is effectively ending a bad habit of compulsive save stating that I had developed over the years. Games are challenging and engaging now that there are achievements to unlock. Those Megaman No-damage/X-buster only chievs are fantastic.

I just completed Super Metroid and for the first time in years I watched the entire credits sequence of a SNES game. It truly felt like a big accomplishment rather than a walkthrough.

I'm a huge fan of the site already. They're really open to suggestions and the community seems to be growing slowly but steadily.

Top Bottom