• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Achievements!

trixx

Would have been cool if Nintendo added it to vc, then again onlya few of their first party games have the feature.

The achievements for Super Castlevania IV are being worked on.

I've started up GBA and NES games, mostly for Mega Man on the NES, as well as games I've already played on the GBA. I do hope for Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance and Pokemon Sapphire someday.

IrishNinja

Zombies Ate My Neighbors is getting rough around level 30 or so, so i'm off to Contra! Tetris was easy enough, they gotta add more to that one....i should really start suggesting a few achievements here.

ps OP update the list already ya bum

ZenaxPure

For Pokemon fans, Gold and Silver are up and (mostly) complete. Still waiting on Ruby and Sapphire...

This is great. I've been slowly (slowwwwwly) chipping away at Red when I want a break or to play something while I watch tv but I don't think R/B aged very well (they are playable at least though). I think Gold/Silver aged a lot better, a lot of the menu design and UI feel very modern. Might just jump into one of those for now and put Red on the back burner.

Also I hope they get around to doing third versions, content-wise I think Emerald is the second best (behind B/W2) game in the entire series, would love to see it get support.

IrishNinja

^never played that one...sounds exciting though!

haha, i should get back to this soon, hopefully they've added more games.

Maxim726X

Fuck Seventh Saga.

If I manage to beat this piece of shit(at the final boss) I'm going to lose it.

What a goddamn ridiculous game.

Haha I'm playing this right now myself.

When I was younger, I rented it every weekend from my local Blockbuster (for anyone that has ever played it- It's obscenely difficult and frustrating). After putting in 70 hours, some dipshit erased my save and replaced it with a new game. I finally got a cart lying around somewhere but I never had the intestinal fortitude to try again.

I've picked it up a few times on an emulator since then, but man the game is just a grind fest. In my current playthrough which I just started (on my phone, I'll finish this game if it takes a year), I am going Wilme and Esuna. Can't believe you're at the end... How many hours so far?

StingX2

7th Saga was always a trap, now with achievements its more so lol.

I'm just patiently waiting for FF6 and Mario RPG's lists to be done :O

IrishNinja

^seriously, it's the worst kinda drive-by post.

checked back @ the main site...wow, only 1 new PC engine but a whole mess of new Genesis & SNES, i might have to finally tie up Zombies Ate My Neighbors & then dive into some new titles! so many classic RPGs & SHMUPs....

StingX2

I ended up writing down mostly every new game that was added since the site doesn't track new games added very well, I missed a few but users on the site itself helped me figure those out. About 21 so far in March with a few days left to go,

Here is the list if you don't want to go over there:
7th Saga (SNES)
Dragon Ball Z - Super Saiya Densetsu (SNES)
Earthworm Jim 2 (Genesis)
Kid Niki (GB)
Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
Mighty Morphing Power Rangers - The Movie (GB)
Mortal Kombat (GB)
Nail'N Scale (GB)
Ninja Spirit (GB)
One Piece (GBA)
Revolution X (SNES)
R-Type III - The Third Lightning (SNES)
Smash Tennis (SNES)
Speedy Gonzales (GB)
Super Bomberman 4 (SNES)
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (GBA)
Super Street-Fighter 2 - Turbo Revival (GBA)
Tiny Toon Adventures (NES)
U.N. Squadron (SNES)
World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck (Genesis)

mrpeabody

Nintendo should be the one doing this! Why don't all their VC games have achievements, with centralized tracking and friends challenges and leaderboards? How can they get shown up by a couple guys working for free in their spare time?

Goddammit, Nintendo, can't you do anything right?

Fredrik

This is extremely clever and it's pretty much a scandal that Nintendo hasn't done this yet on Virtual Console.
Is it legal? Edit: Seems to be, as long as you do your own cartridge rom dumps or use a Retrode.

StingX2

I honestly can't think of much but achievement sounds have been added and that seemed like it was worth posting about for sure.

Edit: I've been running an achievement of the week contest there for the past 9 weeks, that might be worth mentioning

Bookman

Seems like the servers are down again. Really love the concept tho. Ive started to play gba games on my tv and its real Nice. Its like a New 16-bit home console.

Ny name is bookman on retroachivment btw.

StingX2

The owner has upgraded the server so it should be a little more stable, there was an influx of Brazilian youtubers after a video from a popular Brazilian youtuber about RetroAchievements went live.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo should be the one doing this! Why don't all their VC games have achievements, with centralized tracking and friends challenges and leaderboards? How can they get shown up by a couple guys working for free in their spare time?

Goddammit, Nintendo, can't you do anything right?

Funny, don't think I can get trophies in my PSOne/PSTwo classics..................

Spent 2 hours coming up with achievement names for Secret of Evermore, all movie/TV based since the Boy is always quoting movies. A small part of me wants those two hours back, but oh well, it was a kinda fun process.

Yes, lets takke some of the best intrinsically designed games of all time and staple extrinsic bullshit to them.

Yes, I'm sure this initiative is spoiling these games for people who have never played them before and not something to entertain dedicated fans on their 96th playthrough of Super Mario World.

Salbug

Rebumping this old thread to promote Retroachievements. I just discovered this site myself a few days ago and I think it's really great honestly. As someone who's played a ton of games on the SNES and N64 back in the earlier days, this is definitely a nice incentive for me to go back and replay them, especially since the custom emulators have a "Hardcore Mode" option which disables the use of save states.

Here's my profile if anyone wants to follow it. http://retroachievements.org/user/Salbug

I just wanted to let everyone know that N64 games are now supported. There are lists for Super Mario 64, GoldenEye 007, Diddy Kong Racing, Blast Corps, Mischief Makers, etc. Ocarina of Time is coming also and the list is looking fantastic.

Kinsei

Banned
I just wanted to let everyone know that N64 games are now supported. There are lists for Super Mario 64, GoldenEye 007, Diddy Kong Racing, Blast Corps, Mischief Makers, etc. Ocarina of Time is coming also and the list is looking fantastic.

Oh shit hopefully PSX games aren;t too far off. Time to get back into this.

Top Bottom