• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro City Rampage: PS Vita version hitting retail

16378207794_d411c285ce.jpg

http://vblank.fangamer.com/ To Buy it

A TALE OF RETAIL

Last November, one of the most important packages of my life was delivered. I wasted no time and immediately tore it open to find thirty blue PS4 games. Catching a whiff of that surprisingly not patented “new shrink wrap smell”, I reached in and pulled one out. It was a game I could call my own in more ways than one.

Releasing a retail version of Retro City Rampage DX on PS4 Blu-ray was a dream come true, and again, I can’t thank everyone at Sony enough for allowing it to be possible. As more and more games shift to digital-only releases, having that trophy of your work to hold in your hands and put on your wall means more than ever. Having gone from developing games for other studios to starting my own studio, developing my own games, and then publishing my own retail SKUs has been incredibly surreal.

Of course, we wouldn’t be here today to unveil a second retail SKU of RCR:DX if it weren’t for you, the fans! Thanks to your support of the PS4 retail version, a door was opened to make another dream come true – that is, release official cartridges! PS Vita cards, to be specific. If the PS4 retail version hadn’t done as well as it did, this PS Vita version would never have come to be.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/04/02/retro-city-rampage-ps-vita-version-hitting-retail/?emcid=social_20150402_43130426&adbid=583630400024518656&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

Looks like the PS4 retail version was really successful.

SerTapTap

Awesome stuff, I hope Sony is making this as easy as possible for devs, I adore the idea. Already bought one of each PS4 and Vita release of this. Here's hoping Axiom Verge, Hohokum and Transistor get retail releases!

ballerusk

The PS4 physical edition was limited to 2,000 copies if I remember correctly.

...and now I pre-ordered this as well.

Carl

Awesome. I bought a physical PS4 version as soon as they went up... Not sure i want a Vita version too.

SerTapTap

Very tempted to pick this up as I missed the PS4 version. I wonder how many they'll make?

More than the PS4 one probably, it sold out real quick. I assume it'll still sell out pretty easily but not end up quite as rare/pricy as the PS4 one. Seems they're not giving the PC game/soundtrack download for buying it either which they did for PS4. Still I'll be happy to collect it and most any other indie game to hit retail like this.

jonno394

Anyone from the UK order the PS4 version? What postage option would you recommend, I have no idea what the difference between these three actually is

USPS First Class Intl (21 to 26 Business Days) $12.98

USPS First-Class Package International Service $14.75

USPS International First Class $17.50

they're all International first class but with different prices :/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bought it on PS4 and now on Vita. I like the game but I also want to support these practices. I'd love to get real, physical versions of the best downloadable games. I would kill for something like Axiom Verge on disc, for instance, or on a Vita cart.

Anyone from the UK order the PS4 version? What postage option would you recommend, I have no idea what the difference between these three actually is

PS4 one is sold out. Can't remember what I paid then. Whatever was cheapest.

Ordered Vita copy now. $4 shipping was the cheapest and went with this.

jonno394

PS4 one is sold out. Can't remember what I paid then. Whatever was cheapest.

Ordered Vita copy now. $4 shipping was the cheapest and went with this.

Hey, yeah I know it's sold out, I was just looking for some advice re:shipping from a UK'er who ordered the PS4 version.

May just go for the cheapest option then :)

Carl

I chose the cheapest (think it was about £2 or something) and got it in good nick pretty quickly

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Is this game even good? I remember hearing the original release was okay-ish, but I haven't actually been able to muster any interest in playing the thing.

Great news, but dang I don't have the money right now. I bet by the time I can afford it it'll be sold out smh. Got to try and hustle up some dough.

I went with the cheapest shipping option for the PS4 version and it took just over two weeks to reach Australia, which wasn't bad at all. I've gone with the cheapest option again here as well.

Also I like that this version will have a special gold icon~

16814406109_b121a84ce8_o.png

SerTapTap

Is this game even good? I remember hearing the original release was okay-ish, but I haven't actually been able to muster any interest in playing the thing.

This is mostly a collector's item, but yes I'd say the game was pretty good. DX edition was specifically made to address most of the issues, and IMO it's worth it mostly for the humor. As with all games with humor, fuddy duddies won't like it and wouldn't have liked it no matter what.

I wouldn't have paid the $34 I just did for the game itself digitally, but as a collector's item it's cool and I hope to see more of it. Brian's a cool guy too, made an awesome video (that I can't presently find) about the original NES accurate edition (abandoned because it was just too much work that wouldn't really be appreciated by most players anyway)

Hm, what bothers me is that they don't mention the print quantity this time. Looks like they are collecting as many orders as possible, then manufacture end of April.

As a Vita collector, I ordered my copy anyway... (picked up the PS4 one as well)

Beaulieu

I have a sealed PS4 version
Wonder if I should sell it now for 200$ or way a few years ...
Do you guys think it will get up in value ?

? ps4 version is still sold ? Why does it sell for 200$ and more on ebay then ?

Bought it on PS4 and now on Vita. I like the game but I also want to support these practices. I'd love to get real, physical versions of the best downloadable games. I would kill for something like Axiom Verge on disc, for instance, or on a Vita cart.

Precisely my philosophy of it as well as I only thought the game was cute, but never put enough time into it.

I would do anything if Capcom put out a printing of PS4 Strider like they did DuckTales...

SerTapTap

BTW I asked Tom on Twitter (@AxiomVerge) if they could look into it, he seemed interested. I'd let him (or any indie you want a retail copy of) know you're interested if you want to see it happen. From Brian's comments I can only assume Sony is making this relatively easy for devs but it's probably not going to be standard.

Omikaru

Ordered. I love collecting rare games, especially rare Vita games. Missed the boat on the PS4 version, too.

I don't know the specifics of the process, but doing a physical run is a risk. For us personally, how well the game sells digitally is going to be the main factor on whether or not we do this (no point in making physical copies unless the digital version sells well).

Carl

I don't know the specifics of the process, but doing a physical run is a risk. For us personally, how well the game sells digitally is going to be the main factor on whether or not we do this (no point in making physical copies unless the digital version sells well).

Would be awesome to see a physical copy.

Omikaru

I'm a backer for CSH, and from what I've seen from the backer updates, I would be in day one for a Vita or PS4 (or both!) retail release of the game. I know that means nothing to your decision making process, but I'm pretty excited for the game and I'd double dip if I could put it on my shelf.

Unless I play the digital version and it sucks. But I have faith in you guys! :p

Occam

Could someone with the necessary connections please contact the creator of Axiom Verge and ask for a physical release?

Test prints!

http://retrocityrampage.com/psvita_testrun.php

The pre-release test print run is in the house! Prior to printing the full run of Retro City Rampage DX for PS Vita, a handful of test copies (minus final labels and cover art) were produced to double check everything worked on cartridges as well as it did on digital download. It works perfectly as it should, and now I have these super awesome souvenirs :)

Don't worry! The copies you've ordered will all have the nice labels and cover art, fully shrinkwrapped and everything -- these plain looking cartridges are simply produced so that developers can test and double check the contents.

vitatest03.jpg

vitatest02.jpg

vitatest01.jpg

Top Bottom