• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

RAIDEN1

I'm just going to get a Wii eventually and play/catch-up on Cube games I missed....(especially as I don't have a state-of-the art PC right now and probably won't do until it is absolutely necessary)

Last edited:

graywolf323

1400 retro games have been added to Xbox, largely thanks to Phil Spencer​

This arrives on Xbox shortly after Microsoft killed off emulation. Really gets the noggin' joggin'...
$30 a year and streaming only? yuck no thanks, the lifetime pass might have been tempting IF it wasn’t streaming

Players can either buy a year’s subscription to the service for $29.99 / £29.99, or a Lifetime Pass Edition for $79.99 / £79.99.

plus it says you have to have a separate account for the Xbox version so you can’t pay once and be able to play on it + PC + mobile

While Antstream Arcade is available on PC and mobile, the Xbox version is a separate product and users will have to create a separate account for it.

RickMasters

I just need PC engine, NES, and sega, taito Irem and other japanese arcade games and im happy. can I get that lot with these emulators?

RickMasters

$30 a year and streaming only? yuck no thanks, the lifetime pass might have been tempting IF it wasn’t streaming

plus it says you have to have a separate account for the Xbox version so you can’t pay once and be able to play on it + PC + mobile
Agreed. I think it would be great, if they made them downloadable. Id be happy to buy a lot of these games as digital downloads too. they need to look into that..... get their emulator running native on xbox then sell retro games through it...seeing as hamster and M2 been leaving xbox out of the fun lately.....

I bought it, and the streaming works fine. That's not the problem with this service. The interface sucks, and from the advertised 1300 games, only about 300 or so show up. Also there are no emulation options, like adjusting the screen size or adding filters, and there are no difficulty options. (Some of those old arcade games are brutally hard!)

I think this service has a lot of potential, but they have work to do.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Just wondering if I'm the only one still running OG retail mode with my Xbox One X and Series S permanently offline?

I think my account has been banned because thats what it said when I tried to login on PC but at this point I honestly do not care. Modern gaming is the pits. Nothing of value was lost bought my Xbox's for offline media/disk playback and emulation and am having a blast from PC-FX to SEGA Saturn its a dream come true to have all of these systems in one box. If it turns out that OG retail mode was offed for some shitty streaming rom deal (which would be sad as hell) then I'm not sure I'll ever buy any Xbox console ever again (unless its "hackable")

Quasicat

I looked at the new streaming classic game service and everything that interests me are the classic Namco arcade games which are available in a ton of different collections and the NeoGeo games of which I have around 40 on the Switch.
I would much rather own them instead of using a service so that I know they will not get delisted over time.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I bought it, and the streaming works fine. That's not the problem with this service. The interface sucks, and from the advertised 1300 games, only about 300 or so show up. Also there are no emulation options, like adjusting the screen size or adding filters, and there are no difficulty options. (Some of those old arcade games are brutally hard!)

I think this service has a lot of potential, but they have work to do.
Same here, I bought the lifetime package. Not only are the problems there you've listed but some games dont have the music..

PS1 Loaded without music is total bollocks. It's an okay thing to have but yes, streaming them sucks, the layout is straight garbage and the music missing are big issues..

Guess i'll stick to the Deck for now and see what updates they do

Oh, and no Arcade Narc? Wtf, man.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Emulation was the single reason I used my Series S. Now this? $30 a year for roms?

Gtfo

You're severely mixing up things. The $30 for roms is a separate product, a retail 'game', it's got nothing to do with the emulation this topic is about.

And as far as emulation goes, you can get Dev Mode on your xbox for as low as $2. It's a permanent license, so you are not going to pay anything more afterward.

-

On topic.

Retail is DEAD dead now, so Dev Mode is effectively the only way left for emulation.

keCaKwN.jpg

Last edited:

Crew511A

Woah, bans and suspensions. I knew the return of retail would be short lived but didn’t expect that kind of retaliation from MS.

It's kinda ironic that MS just called for game preservation a few years ago, and they pull this. I get not emulating stuff that's still being sold, like Switch and even 360/PS3 stuff. But PS2 and earlier is a mystery.

Ozriel

M$FT
It's kinda ironic that MS just called for game preservation a few years ago, and they pull this. I get not emulating stuff that's still being sold, like Switch and even 360/PS3 stuff. But PS2 and earlier is a mystery.

You mean the game systems that are currently on paid subscription services from Nintendo and Sony?

It’s hard to draw up an emulator policy that allows emulation of stuff up to 360/PS3, then block stuff like the Switch.

DonJorginho

Banned
Xbox, the kings of pro consumer/pro gamer moves!

(all the big three are just as bad as eachother before anyone accuses me of warring btw, but it's funny how Xbox have actively taken several steps backwards since they more or less got the activision/blizzard deal wrapped up...)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

They've only closed the retail method which was letting people upload unapproved applications to the Windows Store. It was always on borrowed time.

Dev Mode is still there, that's where all this emulation started.

Quasicat

It's a matter of time before MS do the same for dev mode emulators
I honestly don’t think they will. I think Dev Mode is what is keeping the people who hack consoles from getting really far as they have a means to do it rather easily. A friend of mine has hacked his PS5 at this point and plays with it all the time, but for the Xbox he keeps it in Dev Mode.
I think Microsoft knows this and will keep it around. They could have ended Dev Mode years ago, but they keep it going.

Klosshufvud

This whole shitshow is just proof never to put your trust in these locked down, closely monitored systems. Just invest in a x83 handheld that docks to TV instead. No need to bother with the greedy suits trying to sell you streamed ROMs.

BlackTron

That is one specific retail game, the price and cloud model is done by its publisher, it has nothing to do with this topic and the emulation scene.

I think we get it, it had nothing to do with it other than the funny timing of when MS decided to pull the plug on it

Top Bottom