• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Palom

I got my fat PS2 running with a IDE and that method does work great. Is there a decent way to play PS1 games doing this?
There's a homebrew called POPStarter that seems to be the best solution for running PS1 games, but it does require some external files that are difficult to get ahold of. It uses VCD files, which can be converted from BIN/CUE. I only tried it with one game (Legend of Legaia), and there were some graphical glitches (geometry errors where a few polygons would stretch off into infinity). I'll just stick with my PSTV for playing digital PS1 games.

There's a homebrew called POPStarter that seems to be the best solution for running PS1 games, but it does require some external files that are difficult to get ahold of. It uses VCD files, which can be converted from BIN/CUE. I only tried it with one game (Legend of Legaia), and there were some graphical glitches (geometry errors where a few polygons would stretch off into infinity). I'll just stick with my PSTV for playing digital PS1 games.

POPS on PS2 is beyond worthless.

Laws00

ugh that sounds like too much of a headache and work.

It's sad and or i'm sad.

I have 200+ PS2 game and I just want more. Will I be able to play them all in my life time, probably not.

I'm at the point where with the ps2, dreamcast,xbox,GC era that I don't want to pay past $50 bucks for a used game. I just can't.

Hardware and accessories well that's a different story.....lol

I have 200+ PS2 game and I just want more. Will I be able to play them all in my life time, probably not.

I'm at the point where with the ps2, dreamcast,xbox,GC era that I don't want to pay past $50 bucks for a used game. I just can't.

I realized a while back I could probably never buy a new console and only play my PS2 until the day I die and never run out of interesting new stuff to play.

BTails

It's an adapter board that connects to the IDE port of the Network adapter. It allows you to put in SD card in it, and I think load them off HDLoader on FreeMcBoot. IMHO though per gig prices are way better with a Physical hard drive than an SD Card.

That's exactly how it works. a Physical hard drive will give you much more space for your buck, but with my steup, I found it easier to go the SD card route. Also, load times might be SLIGHTLY faster, but that's based on the fact that SD cards are faster than HDDs, I haven't tested this so I can't definitively say.

Which adapter? Though that sounds cool regardless.

The Network Adapter has an IDE connector, so first you need to get an IDE to SATA adapter. This will also allow you to use a modern harddrive if you want. Then a simple SATA to SD adapter will do the trick. I bought both of mine of of Amazon, I think both together cost $18 CAD.

Tain

You do get better storage prices with a hard drive, but the act of installing games is IMO way nicer with an SD card (super easy in Windows to just pop in the SD card and install games). I don't want to use my ancient PS2 optical drive in any situations I don't need to, lol.

Tain

I don't think I'm aware of any redbook audio PS2 games. Wouldn't shock me if some existed, but all the CD games I've tried have been fine music-wise when running off of HD/SD.

You do get better storage prices with a hard drive, but the act of installing games is IMO way nicer with an SD card (super easy in Windows to just pop in the SD card and install games). I don't want to use my ancient PS2 optical drive in any situations I don't need to, lol.

I went the SATA route for mine instead of an IDE drive. It wasn't too bad to plug into my computer and use the App (which I forget the name of it right now) to use my computer optical drive to rip my games to the drive, and then just plugged it into the PS2.

Shaanyboi

Banned
in my experience, brands matter more for other systems...like ive had/seen a few wii ones and maybe i was lucky, but they were solid. ive seen some absolute butt quality PS2 ones, and to this day, my roommate's weird xbox/PS2 one (its like translucent) is one of the higher quality signals ive seen for component
Cool.

Thanks for the help everyone. Probably gonna pick up a cheap Wii from the game store down the street from me, and will get some decent cables on Amazon

dubc35

Cool.

Thanks for the help everyone. Probably gonna pick up a cheap Wii from the game store down the street from me, and will get some decent cables on Amazon
I bought an OEM Nintendo Wii component cable for ~$30 (used) a couple months ago. They're not stupid expensive like GameCube.

Rirse

Neo Member
How do you update the HD Loader firmware? I just noticed the version I have doesn't work with Suikoden V and needs to be updated first.

[edit] Nevermind I forgot that I had Open Loader and got it working that way.

Tons of stuff arrived today.

kxxiOFV.png

Laws00

I'd just like to say I think the "myfavouritemagazines" Videogames Hardware Handbook Volume 2 Third Revised Edition is disappointing

im trying to figure out why the book seemed so light and thinner compared to previous ones.
It has adequate but their "imagineshop" ones were so much better. I'm not spending $20+ on this damn thing.

mcb1397.cover_p1.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hi guys, I know this is RetroGAF and you guys like talking about old shit. But you should really go play Yakuza Kiwami. Or Yakuza 0, if you haven't played it yet. It is cool.

That's next on my list of games to play. Is there a special edition that's worth picking up? I think I might just go buy it randomly.

Hi guys, I know this is RetroGAF and you guys like talking about old shit. But you should really go play Yakuza Kiwami. Or Yakuza 0, if you haven't played it yet. It is cool.

That's next on my list of games to play. Is there a special edition that's worth picking up? I think I might just go buy it randomly.

I'm not very far into Kiwami yet but Kiwami is officially a sequel as much as it is a remake of the first game. I think you probably have an advantage playing 0 first as a virgin to the series but as a PS2 hater I've never played the first two games before so I can't say how much you're missing starting elsewhere.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm not very far into Kiwami yet but Kiwami is officially a sequel as much as it is a remake of the first game. I think you probably have an advantage playing 0 first as a virgin to the series but as a PS2 hater I've never played the first two games before so I can't say how much you're missing starting elsewhere.

Kiwami is supposedly written as a sequel to 0, so yeah, people new to the series should start with 0.

I'm a big Yakuza fan, but I'm hesitant to pick up Kiwami, as I didn't really get the love for 0. I think 4 is still my favorite, with 5 a close second. Hell, I may even like 3 better than 0. The best part about 0 for me was the speed of entering battles and
Fantasy Zone
, everything else was a bit lacking. Prefer the pre-0 iterations of Majima by a landslide. I would have preferred one unified fighting style for either character as opposed to switching between multiple. Tying the leveling/exp system to money and substory progression was lame, as well. If Yakuza 0 wasn't the meme machine it was, I don't think it would have been nearly as popular, and if Kiwami is more a sequel to that than an actual remake of 1, I maybe might pass. Then again, I even bought Dead Souls, so I'll probably end up playing it anyways. Can't get enough Sega these days.

Biding my time for Yakuza 6, which seems to be exactly what I'm yearning for in a Yakuza game. Having Tatsuro Yamashita do the theme song is a pretty huge bonus, too.

I'd kill for a localized Ishin...

I click all links that sixteen-bit senpai posts.

Speaking of Outrun, my goal in life is to get a fullsized Outrun, Hang On, or Daytona cab. I just hope that by the time where I have the space/money for that to be reasonable it's not too impossible.

I really have to stop lowballing offers on games (ebay) I don't have the money for. I used to think that Mega Man 5 was always going to be too much cash for me. So I just randomly offered $135 for a decent copy of the game in box with manual, and boom he accepts it.

I will just eat less next month.

At least I'm only missing Mega man 1. I have the rest in box with manual.

Khaz

I click all links that sixteen-bit senpai posts.

Speaking of Outrun, my goal in life is to get a fullsized Outrun, Hang On, or Daytona cab. I just hope that by the time where I have the space/money for that to be reasonable it's not too impossible.

A proper Daytona cab comes in a bundle of eight.

Asked in the other thread, but how is the PVM-14L2? Is it worth about the 200 plus 15 shipping I would get for it?

Whether it is worth it is completely up to you, really. I have paid well over that and well under that for PVMs. If you've never owned one before, that's a pretty normal price these days and if you don't like it or feel it isn't worth it, you could easily sell it for the same price and get your $$ back.

Rirse

Neo Member
Whether it is worth it is completely up to you, really. I have paid well over that and well under that for PVMs. If you've never owned one before, that's a pretty normal price these days and if you don't like it or feel it isn't worth it, you could easily sell it for the same price and get your $$ back.

Cool. What the prefer connector for using a scart or component cable to it? I probably use component since I got the HD Retrovision for the SNES and Genesis, and my PS2 and Wii use component.

Cool. What the prefer connector for using a scart or component cable to it? I probably use component since I got the HD Retrovision for the SNES and Genesis, and my PS2 and Wii use component.

I think the recommended method is to convert the component signal to RGB via a SCART cable, then buy a SCART to BNC adapter.

However, I know there are adapters that will convert a typical RCA connector to BNC, so you could try those, though I'm unsure if that particular PVM requires an external sync signal, so that might not be a great idea.

Anth0ny

Yeah I looked up backup loading for PS2 and it seems pretty spotty and compatibility ain't great.

Waiting for this solution for PS2:

DENpdyBWAAAMA5M.jpg

It has to be coming. Git er done, crazy console hacking people!

I really have to stop lowballing offers on games (ebay) I don't have the money for. I used to think that Mega Man 5 was always going to be too much cash for me. So I just randomly offered $135 for a decent copy of the game in box with manual, and boom he accepts it.

I will just eat less next month.

At least I'm only missing Mega man 1. I have the rest in box with manual.

This is my life

Yeah I looked up backup loading for PS2 and it seems pretty spotty and compatibility ain't great.

Waiting for this solution for PS2:

DENpdyBWAAAMA5M.jpg

It has to be coming. Git er done, crazy console hacking people!

There's already a better solution. It's called FreeMcBoot and a hard drive. No need to install a mod chip either for it to work. Unless you mean playing PS1 backups on PS2.

Top Bottom