• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Sorry, but who is this avatarless poster and what has he done with the dude we all affectionately call sixteen-bit?

37c717ef1e7dabbbceea3e87f0e0da66.jpg

Got a working sega cd with new power fuse installed now.

Thank god. With that comes the burning of games......

I'd kill for an SD card solution. I get minor panic attacks every time I touch Snatcher.

IrishNinja

Yeah I looked up backup loading for PS2 and it seems pretty spotty and compatibility ain't great.

Waiting for this solution for PS2:

DENpdyBWAAAMA5M.jpg

It has to be coming. Git er done, crazy console hacking people!

i had this - didn't it need a spring to work? not ideal, but solid way to play imports & such in the day!

i had this - didn't it need a spring to work? not ideal, but solid way to play imports & such in the day!

That's the PSIO which is a device that plugs into the serial port of certain models of the original Playstation, and it has an SD card slot on it. So you can load PS isos and such off an SD card. Though it requires the installation of a small mod chip to work, and availability has been, let's go with spotty at absolute best.

Laws00

Yup you needed a spring. My friend got one to play dragon ball final bout.

A few months later I got one for dragon ball. Ultimate battle 22 and it came with a free game of my choosing. I picked the one most interesting sounding, Umihara Kawase. That game turn out to be the better game in the long run lol

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

The good ol' days. Yeah, I had the equivalent of this (Game Enhancer) to play my first imported game... which was the upgraded version of Rival Schools that only came out in Japan. Super ghetto having to use a spring, but it worked.

Rirse

Neo Member
Won the PVM auction for $190 shipped, which isn't too bad for a PVM-14L2. I gone ahead and ordered the adapter to connect my cables to it as well. Never seen a PVM in person, but how big is the 14 inch one in rough scale? I planning on putting it next to my desktop.

Yes Boss!

Found out I will be moving from my small space in the coming month or two. I plan on getting a three-bedroom place...one extra room for the arcade and the other as a puzzle room. Excite! Just downloaded The new release of Windjammers. Pretty cool.

Random pic of my current mini space.

DwZI56K.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I picked this up yesterday. Came with all original cables/AC adapter/2 controllers. All games are CIB and that's a Mega Drive cartridge converter. I've never owned a Genesis of my own and would just borrow my cousin's Mega Drive growing up. I'm going to give him a call and ask if he'd be willing to part with all his old VG stuff (Mega Drive, PC Engine, etc) because I know it's all just sitting in his parent's house not being used at all. Now I just need to order an RGB cable for this.

3eed7DYl.jpg

I blame Sonic Mania for this purchase. :p

I picked this up yesterday. Came with all original cables/AC adapter/2 controllers. All games are CIB and that's a Mega Drive cartridge converter. I've never owned a Genesis of my own and would just borrow my cousin's Mega Drive growing up. I'm going to give him a call and ask if he'd be willing to part with all his old VG stuff (Mega Drive, PC Engine, etc) because I know it's all just sitting in his parent's house not being used at all. Now I just need to order an RGB cable for this.

3eed7DYl.jpg

I blame Sonic Mania for this purchase. :p

Good score. Spider-Man, SoR2 and Aladdin are great games. I could never figure out Toejam & Earl as a kid.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The Canadian version looks the same as the PAL version, except for the Mega Drive/Genesis logo, of course. Nice haul!
Yeah, even the instruction manual is like the PAL version. It's landscape instead of portrait. They probably did that to include French and didn't want to bother printing another version.

Peltz

Visiting my parents house this weekend and am finally going to be able to bring my OG Xbox back to my place for the first time in like 10 years. Man, I miss this thing.

Only problem: the port for the AC adapter is loose and only works if you hold insert the AC cable at a certain angle. How hard is that to repair? I won't use it until it's fixed, but is it worth paying someone to fix or should I just grab another one off eBay and toss this one?

The disc drive and everything else works like a charm.

BTails

Visiting my parents house this weekend and am finally going to be able to bring my OG Xbox back to my place for the first time in like 10 years. Man, I miss this thing.

Only problem: the port for the AC adapter is loose and only works if you hold insert the AC cable at a certain angle. How hard is that to repair? I won't use it until it's fixed, but is it worth paying someone to fix or should I just grab another one off eBay and toss this one?

The disc drive and everything else works like a charm.

Have you cracked it open? It could just be a nroken piece of plastic of missing screw, in which case it'd be an easy fix.

You should open it anyway, as there's that leaky capacitor in most of the hardware revisions which fails in something like 100% of Xboxes and can damage your system.

Found out I will be moving from my small space in the coming month or two. I plan on getting a three-bedroom place...one extra room for the arcade and the other as a puzzle room. Excite! Just downloaded The new release of Windjammers. Pretty cool.

Congrats! I always love your setups and look forward to seeing what you do !

Wind jammers inpressions? Friends and I play it on mame quite often and I'm wondering if the PS4 version is worth it .

Yes Boss!

Congrats! I always love your setups and look forward to seeing what you do !

Wind jammers inpressions? Friends and I play it on mame quite often and I'm wondering if the PS4 version is worth it .

It is alright. Your typical NG port with added 16/9 menus and shoddy net play. I just grabbed it for my Vita but I can't figure out how to enable the scanlines that are on the PS4 version so it is a bit too chunky looking for me. Otherwise a pretty fun little game. I have it on VC and a multicart for the cab so this one is just extra. I would rather play it at 240p to be honest.

Peltz

It is alright. Your typical NG port with added 16/9 menus and shoddy net play. I just grabbed it for my Vita but I can't figure out how to enable the scanlines that are on the PS4 version so it is a bit too chunky looking for me. Otherwise a pretty fun little game. I have it on VC and a multicart for the cab so this one is just extra. I would rather play it at 240p to be honest.
Shame to hear the netplay is shoddy. I think I'll stick to the MVS version then.

Yes Boss!

What is everybody playing in this Labor Day weekend (for those who have Monday off)?

I have been playing Space Harrier VC (Arcade Perfect M2) with the nunchuck that functions like a grip...works surprisingly well all things considering...if a bit jittery.

Also, after 20 years finally tackling Yoshi's Story. Never gave it a proper shake at launch. I am shocked at the structure and just how cool it is. Genuine surprise.

m8sxJ5F.jpg

What is everybody playing in this Labor Day weekend (for hose who have Monday off)?

I have been playing Space Harrier VC (Arcade Perfect M2) with the nunchuck that functions like a grip...works surprisingly well all things considering...if a bit jittery.

Also, after 20 years finally tackling Yoshi's Story. Never gave it a proper shake at launch. I am shocked at the structure and just how cool it is. Genuine surprise.

m8sxJ5F.jpg

Hoping to finish Yakuza Kiwami but it will probably be tomorrow.

Also

IrishNinja

Kiwami, Sonic Mania, and i'm messing with this CPS1 & 2 emulator, got my arcade stick working on PC & recently got a hori fighting commander (PS3 & 4) with turbo fire that i'm hoping i can find drivers to likewise use here!

Jinto

Spent some time today creating my first Free McBoot memory card and ripping a few of my PS2 games. Now I just gotta wait for the SATA adapter to arrive so I can start playing games from the internal hard drive.

Danny Dudekisser

Man, I'm 18 hours into Yakuza Kiwami, and yeah. It's cool. I'm honestly kinda surprised that, despite having put a ton of time into Yakuza 0 earlier in the year, this game is still completely enthralling. Like, this series is such a celebration of what video games are. I like that about it.

dubc35

Super Mario Bros

I never really played it back in the day. My brother got our NES as a gift. He didn't like SMB so he bought the unbundled console and Renegade (for reasons unknown). I'm warp cheating but still having fun. It still holds up.

BTails

I had family in town this weekend, so I didn't get much gaming in. Got a bit of Elder Scrolls Online played earlier in the weekend. As for retro, I had maybe 30 minutes of NES time, playing through most of TMNT 2: The Arcade Game. Awesome fun, and man what a soundtrack.

IrishNinja

Man, I'm 18 hours into Yakuza Kiwami, and yeah. It's cool. I'm honestly kinda surprised that, despite having put a ton of time into Yakuza 0 earlier in the year, this game is still completely enthralling. Like, this series is such a celebration of what video games are. I like that about it.

thank you
they oughta put that on the box

dubc35

I have yet to play a yakuza game for whatever reason.

Ps1/2/3/PSP, DS, Wii, og Xbox

Which would be the best/most accessible one for the above systems?

I started with Yakuza 3 (PS3) and it was the greatest thing I had experienced in 3D since Shenmue.

The best place to start would be Yakuza 0 but since you don't have a PS4 I would say either start with Yakuza 1 on the PS2 (I haven't played the PS2 games since I'm a hater so I don't know how they hold up) or whichever PS3 game you can find. While the plot carries forward somewhat I think it's okay to play any of them in isolation since for the most part the stories are relatively self-contained.

Yakuza 3 has the least content because Sega thought that western people wouldn't like or couldn't understand Japanese culture.

Danny Dudekisser

I started with Yakuza 3 (PS3) and it was the greatest thing I had experienced in 3D since Shenmue.

The best place to start would be Yakuza 0 but since you don't have a PS4 I would say either start with Yakuza 1 on the PS2 (I haven't played the PS2 games since I'm a hater so I don't know how they hold up) or whichever PS3 game you can find. While the plot carries forward somewhat I think it's okay to play any of them in isolation since for the most part the stories are relatively self-contained.

Yakuza 3 has the least content because Sega thought that western people wouldn't like or couldn't understand Japanese culture.

I can't remember -- did they cut content from Yakuza 2? I seem to recall hearing the hostess clubs were removed from the Western release?

I can't remember -- did they cut content from Yakuza 2? I seem to recall hearing the hostess clubs were removed from the Western release?

Hostess clubs, minigames and some sidequests were removed from Yakuza 3 if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure about Yakuza 2. I try to keep as much in the dark as possible for that one until I can actually play it.

Peltz

What is everybody playing in this Labor Day weekend (for those who have Monday off)?

m8sxJ5F.jpg

Yoshi's Story gets an unfair rep. It's not a masterpiece by any means, but it's way better than the Yoshi's Island DS and New Yoshi's Island.

Getting a perfect score in that game is a hearty challenge.

dubc35

Are you thinking about wreckless: the yakuza missions? it's a good mission-based driving gams but it has nothing to do with the Yakuza series proper.

Sorry I should have been more clear, I was just listing the systems I have. I recall it being mostly on Playstation consoles but I wasn't sure.

Thanks all for the replies!

If you guys could hypothetically start your collection from scratch would you still focus on the same systems?

Been thinking about this recently as whilst I love my predominantly Japanese Sega Saturn and Megadrive focussed collection would love to have put more money into Super Famicom games before the prices went full retard, especially because it is my most fondly remembered childhood console and the box art is SO beautiful.

It just frustrates me knowing that I could have got this stuff in the early 2000's but didn't anticipate just how exorbitantly expensive it would be to build a decent collection nowadays. But then I guess if I had bought that stuff I would be look at Saturn games thinking the same thing!

Top Bottom