• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

I'm happy focusing on Sega because Sega is best.

I just wish that my games weren't stolen and I wasn't so goddamn poor at the beginning of the millennium.

D.Lo

I would change virtually nothing about my collection. Sure I probably would have bought or sold certain things slightly differently, would have been great to get a few more of the rare Saturn games for peanuts in the early 2000s. But overall I'm pretty damn happy with my set these days.

Speaking of collection, as promised a while ago, here is my newest oldest (!) Nintendo item. This is a pre-war Hanafuda set. I can't get more specific than that on date, but this of course means they are most likely from the 1930s, up to 1941.

OY4pNe9.jpg
They are included as part of a cute hanafuda kit, with various gambling pieces.

Nin Ten Do in their original Kanji logo.

Beautiful condition considering these are maybe 80 years old!

Man, I'm 18 hours into Yakuza Kiwami, and yeah. It's cool. I'm honestly kinda surprised that, despite having put a ton of time into Yakuza 0 earlier in the year, this game is still completely enthralling. Like, this series is such a celebration of what video games are. I like that about it.

It is amusing to me that, even though it is a completely different kind of game, that is the same thing I've said about and why I love the first two Katamari games.

IrishNinja

DLo that's a dope hanafuda set!

God, if they could make a Streets of Rage in the style of Yakuza...

i'm just gonna pretend they did, yeah

Yakuza 3 has the least content because Sega thought that western people wouldn't like or couldn't understand Japanese culture.

like i know they said it was that, but i'm still betting they wanted to cut corners on localization costs & figured people'd either not notice or care for the most part

I'm happy focusing on Sega because Sega is best.

amen

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I would change virtually nothing about my collection. Sure I probably would have bought or sold certain things slightly differently, would have been great to get a few more of the rare Saturn games for peanuts in the early 2000s. But overall I'm pretty damn happy with my set these days.

Speaking of collection, as promised a while ago, here is my newest oldest (!) Nintendo item. This is a pre-war Hanafuda set. I can't get more specific than that on date, but this of course means they are most likely from the 1930s, up to 1941.

Amazing stuff!

sleepnaught

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but...

Is there a reliable way to print off Sega Genesis game case sleeves? There's a website that has scans of a lot of games, just curious if printing them off through Office Depot or somewhere looks good.

Laws00

who ever made this ECM file bullshit i'm going to slap the shit out of them

I got Bari Arm working but i got no background music. A bunch of errors popped up. Plays fine but no background music what so ever. :(

IrishNinja

true, i was having such a blast with my 8 minutes of Summoner before returning it for credit on Shenmue, due out in like a week or two

Tekken Tag & SSX were fun (TimeSplitters turned out cool) but the PS2 was a DVD player right up until about MGS2, whereas the DC still has the strongest launch lineup of all time™

Laws00

fucking Sony CD-R Audio disc.

Now I need to go out and buy cd-rs

thanks dad

edit: thank you mom for the save

the memorex 100PK CD-Rs

whoot

Rirse

Neo Member
So I figured out how to get my PS1 saves off my PS1 memory card using U Launcher to transfer the file to a USB device back to my PC. But how do I use that save on ePSXe or another emulator if I want to use that save there?

So I figured out how to get my PS1 saves off my PS1 memory card using U Launcher to transfer the file to a USB device back to my PC. But how do I use that save on ePSXe or another emulator if I want to use that save there?

There are a bunch of utilities around that can convert between raw save file data and epsxe-style virtual memory card formats. I don't remember which one was good, just that it was kind of a giant pain to find it, and it's probably only gotten harder in the last few years.

Kinda tangental but the PS3 memory card makes transfering saves so, so much easier. It has gotten fairly expensive but if you can find one for a good price it makes transfering saves between real hardware, PC, and PS3/PSP/Vita much easier. I use mine way more often than I expected.

Anth0ny

Amazing get! I gotta track one down myself just to have it.

2000 gaming nostalgia is my weakness. I can't. The god tier games still being pumped out on current gen consoles + the EXCITEMENT of the PS2, GC, GBA and Xbox... fuck me.

Ps2 launch was all hype.

I found myself excited about Madden 2001 of all things because it looked so good. aside from ssx and Tekken, there was nothing to play on the thing.

I waited in line for one bc of hype but I didn't get one. Ended up waiting for the Gran Turismo 3 red box bundle.

Then I got out of games for a while when starting college. I played gta 3, devil May cry, final fantasy x, and. Metal gear solid 2, but I didn't get hooked on games really again until halo came out.

D.Lo

Ps2 launch was all hype.

I found myself excited about Madden 2001 of all things because it looked so good. aside from ssx and Tekken, there was nothing to play on the thing.

I waited in line for one bc of hype but I didn't get one. Ended up waiting for the Gran Turismo 3 red box bundle.

Then I got out of games for a while when starting college. I played gta 3, devil May cry, final fantasy x, and. Metal gear solid 2, but I didn't get hooked on games really again until halo came out.
Yeah mine was a DVD player until Tony Hawk 3 and Devil May Cry. And PS2 games had such shit PAL conversions ugh. Especially frustrating when the Dreamcast had 60Hz on basically everything except Code Veronica, and even most N64 games had gotten great PAL conversions for years by then.

D.Lo

Actually that reminds me, I tried all my PS1 games with the texture smoothing on/off and load time speed-up on/off. Load time speed wrecked the cutscenes in Silent Hill lol.

Vespa

I didn't get a PS2 until MGS2 but had a friend who bought it on launch luckily. Tekken Tag and Fantavision are still great but I can see why people think it's a weak lineup. My biggest regret was not getting Ridge Racer V sooner, it had a lot of negative reviews and so I didn't pick it up until a few years later and found that I absolutely loved it.

Anybody remember The Bouncer hype? I fell for that so hard.

D.Lo

Used to make jokes about the jaggies.

Tekken Jag Tournament
Ridged Racer V
Dead or Alive 2 Hard Corners edition

Vespa

Ha, I think the jaggies single-handedly perpetuated the myth that Dreamcast was more powerful because of how bad the IQ is on some of the early releases. That clean dc 480p VGA is magic.

Didn't the NTSU/PAL Tekken Tag get an image buff over the NTSCJ version? I remember it lacking jaggies.

D.Lo

Didn't the NTSU/PAL Tekken Tag get an image buff over the NTSCJ version? I remember it lacking jaggies.
Yeah I believe so. I always hated how it looked with that disconcerting floating edge of the fighting ring though.

Dead or Alive definitely looked worse on PS2 though, and this was only through composite on both consoles.

I had two mates that worked at an electronics store so I had so many games back then...

I didn't get a PS2 until MGS2 but had a friend who bought it on launch luckily. Tekken Tag and Fantavision are still great but I can see why people think it's a weak lineup. My biggest regret was not getting Ridge Racer V sooner, it had a lot of negative reviews of it and so I didn't pick it up until a few years later and found that I absolutely loved it.

Same. Bouncer was such a waste of money, lol.

Peltz

PS2 launch just helped confirm that I had no connection to society. The world was wrong.
I didn't get a PS2 until 2013 or so. They had just stopped being manufactured so I decided to pick one up new in box while I still had the chance.

I only have like 4 or 5 games for it. 2 of those have katamari in the title. I'll eventually pick up more cheap games for it, but it never really appealed to me all that much. I know it has a great library, but it never felt like it catered to my tastes personally.

I only have like 4 or 5 games for it. 2 of those have katamari in the title. I'll eventually pick up more cheap games for it, but it never really appealed to me all that much. I know it has a great library, but it never felt like it catered to my tastes personally.

Now is the time. I don't think new reprints of PS2 games are going to be available for much longer, and the retro market is starting to catch up to the system.

BTails

I was so freaking excited for the PS2 when it launched. My dad was good friends with the owner of our local video game store, so we were able to get a system on launch day, whereas they were sold out everywhere else. I was most hyped for Summoner, since I was a huge RPG fan, but we also picked up SSX since it was the best reviewed launch title.

...To this day I think I've only put 5 or so hours into Summoner. SSX was my jam, I played that game for hours upon hours upon hours. It was nice having a second DVD player too (we had bought our first way back in 1997, so we had a nice little collection already).

Oh yeah. I actually really enjoyed The Bouncer when it came out, but I was glad that I only rented it, as it was super short! Eventually I picked it up for about $5 at EB Games when they were clearing out PS2 stuff many years ago.

Actually that reminds me, I tried all my PS1 games with the texture smoothing on/off and load time speed-up on/off. Load time speed wrecked the cutscenes in Silent Hill lol.

I remember that happened on that PS1 Evil Dead game. I rented it and was realy confused for a couple hours until I realized the PS2 wasn't playing the CG cutscenes because of the load time speed option.

I have a ridiculous quantity of Super Famicom games but I would trade all of them for the Super Nintendo versions in a heartbeat.

I have quite a few JPN N64/Saturn games. If you have a bit of background knowledge on the original games or if the game is a party-like game(Fighters/Racers/platformer) then a Japanese version is fine imo. Other than RPGs I feel like the Super Famicom versions are still a pretty great alternative because a lot of games don't require you to know much Japanese. The only major downsides is that you need to remove the plastic locks in your drive bay and the price increases over these last few years. I remember when Super Metroid was way cheaper. I had the option of buying a boxed copy for like $20 once and passed(which is stupid in hindsight considering the game even has English options for the Japanese version).

You can still find some pretty decent deals in auctions/best offers though IMO, as super famicom versions aren't usually as hunted as the NTSC versions.

Side note, I remember seeing the DKC trilogy boxed for $50 on ebay at buy it now which is a steal(another gaffer here ironically bought it). A game like that doesn't really require much Japanese knowledge IMO. You just need to know how to use the save system and your good to go.

There are so many nostalgiac feels from seeing all the random stuff in the backround.

Amazing pick up. I've never played any Hanafuda games so I have no nostalgia for them but it's an interesting historical pickup for what's arguably my favorite gaming company.

Peltz

Ha, I think the jaggies single-handedly perpetuated the myth that Dreamcast was more powerful because of how bad the IQ is on some of the early releases. That clean dc 480p VGA is magic.

Why did so few games on PS2 take advantage of progressive scan anyway? It clearly had the power to do it considering a huge percentage of DC games had it too. But so many games are interlaced on it.

Speaking of Dreamcast, Behar Bros are sending me a replacement cable for my damaged Toro. Can't wait to play DC in 480p native for the first time. SoulCalibur is definitely going to be the first game I try. I may actually drool when I see it.

Why did so few games on PS2 take advantage of progressive scan anyway? It clearly had the power to do it considering a huge percentage of DC games had it too. But so many games are interlaced on it.

Speaking of Dreamcast, Behar Bros are sending me a replacement cable for my damaged Toro. Can't wait to play DC in 480p native for the first time. SoulCalibur is definitely going to be the first game I try. I may actually drool when I see it.

IIRC the PS2 didn't have the video memory to take advantage of progressive scan. That's why so few games had it to my understanding. Savvy developers were obviously able to take advantage of it(Polophony comes to mind with their sharp 480p output on GT4)

Anth0ny

holy shit why is trying to find a loose copy of mario party 3 such hell

there's repro carts all over ebay that are basically identical to the regular cart

ugh this is going to be a thing going forward, isn't it.

IIRC the PS2 didn't have the video memory to take advantage of progressive scan. That's why so few games had it to my understanding. Savvy developers were obviously able to take advantage of it(Polophony comes to mind with their sharp 480p output on GT4)

Some games made use of field rendering (rendering half the image only and scanning those out to each interlaced field) to lower memory footprint but it wasn't across the board. There are a lot of PS2 games that are 480p compatible but there's just no config item in the game itself.

I still think almost nobody having 480p compatible TVs made justifying taking time to add it in & test was the main factor there.

there's repro carts all over ebay that are basically identical to the regular cart

I usually add a "Canada Only" filter for NTSC-U stuff since uh a) there seem to be a way higher percentage of scammers in the US and b) shipping costs out of the US are stupid.

Oh gosh I didn't know what you meant and did a quick ebay search. It's absolutely flooded with fakes. If your Japanese isn't too rusty you can get the Japanese versions boxed for pennies

I usually add a "Canada Only" filter for NTSC-U stuff since uh a) there seem to be a way higher percentage of scammers in the US and b) shipping costs out of the US are stupid.

That's a good idea. Limits the results for sure but there are a lot of scammers these days in the states unfortunately :(. Everyone seems to be trying to make a quick buck illegitimately these days. I'd have less of a problem if they said repo in their ad titles.

Laws00

I can't for the life of me get these sega cd games to burn properly.

They play but I can't get the background music to play. Ugghhh

Kawika

Now that I have a PVM 20L5 I am suddenly excited to play 480p content. I think I am going to remove my PS2 from my accessible retro consoles because almost every game in my collection is available on another console in some form (final fantasy remakes, personas on psp/vita, gta and metal gear games, maybe not gran turismo but I never go back to those).

My favorite console in generation 6 was the XBOX. I always felt like the Dreamcast and XBOX were spiritually related. That said, I really want to re-buy a DC and a XBOX but I am afraid neither will hold up like I am expecting. As it is, I think there are very few Gamecube games I still want to play. I still love Thousand Year door, F-Zero, Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime etc. I am really hoping they port the Zeldas and sunshine to the Switch at this point. (triple dip on the zeldas ftw/l).

I can't believe how offensive 480i has become to my eyes. I though the MGS games were 480p.

Anyway, I have been on a holding pattern with regard to original XBOX because of the OG XBOX BC coming to the XBOX ONE S/X.

I can't for the life of me get these sega cd games to burn properly.

They play but I can't get the background music to play. Ugghhh

Assuming you're not having issues with redbook audio specifically, I had a lot of problems with a CD burner that just wouldn't go below 16x speed.

Now that I have a PVM 20L5 I am suddenly excited to play 480p content. I think I am going to remove my PS2 from my accessible retro consoles because almost every game in my collection is available on another console in some form (final fantasy remakes, personas on psp/vita, gta and metal gear games, maybe not gran turismo but I never go back to those).

There are a lot of reasons to still consider many PS2 versions the best, even in spite of contemporary ports and HD remakes.

For games that aren't lag sensitive, hook your PS2 up to an HDTV that has good deinterlacing instead. I still swear the results can be a lot better than a CRT.

Peltz

Assuming you're not having issues with redbook audio specifically, I had a lot of problems with a CD burner that just wouldn't go below 16x speed.

There are a lot of reasons to still consider many PS2 versions the best, even in spite of contemporary ports and HD remakes.

For games that aren't lag sensitive, hook your PS2 up to an HDTV that has good deinterlacing instead. I still swear the results can be a lot better than a CRT.
My Panasonic plasma (rest in peace) made 480i look exactly like 480p. It was better than the framemeister for sure. So much so that I didn't understand complaints that 480i was "ugly" until it died on me.

Still, a CRT is best. Native res will always win for me.

Kawika

Yeah, I can do that but I only have a 4K HDR TV and a 1440p Monitor near the CRT so I would have to be dealing with more scaling issues too. I think I would rather just not use the PS2. It was my least favorite of the that generation and like I said, everything I care about has been ported to other systems or has a hd remaster. I have very little nostalgia for the 6th gen as it was the gen I started to enjoy PC games more.

My Panasonic plasma (rest in peace) made 480i look exactly like 480p. It was better than the framemeister for sure. So much so that I didn't understand complaints that 480i was "ugly" until it died on me.

Still, a CRT is best. Native res will always win for me.

I never was lucky enough to have a Plasma but I had an early HDTV that I thought everything looked pretty okay. I played almost all of that generation in 480p thanks to my Toshiba CRT taking a crap when HDTVs were just coming out. (my 65" 4K didn't cost as much as my 1st 32" HDTV). I have hooked up things to that tv since and there is no way I would choose the LCD over the CRT for that resolution.

Hey retroGAF,
as per sixteen bit's recommendation,

my 1st ever JYP ps2 game! Phantasy Star collection has english text for 1-4! 240p!
i thought artwork was creased or worn but no! it was just the plastic case =)

lN8Qbwdh.jpg

z7D3segh.jpg

LPmRjj8h.jpg

JcSyuRwh.jpg

sixteen-bit is getting me to spend money =)
now i need a JYP ps2 system...

Top Bottom