• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro gaming discussion/pick ups

Akuza89

So I collect retro games ranging from commodore 64 through to the ps2 (if that can be called a retro console now..? :pie_thinking:)

I try my best to keep track of all my games (of which I have roughly 20+ consoles... I need to recount them really...) but there's always something I seem to mess up on!

So seeing the "recent purchases" thread, I thought why not make a retro pick ups and discussion thread so we can all try and help each other out a little! haha

looking at my app I use to track my games... I have...

Atari Lynx - 10 games
Intellivision - 14 games
Neo geo pocket color - 10 games
N64 - 17 games
NES - 37 games
gamecube - 36 games
PS2 - 49 games
Megadrive/genesis - 23 games
sega Saturn - 22 games
SNES - 38 games
PC engine (Japanese turbo GRAFX 16) - 21 games
wonderswan/wonderswan colour- 6 games

and sooo many games for my commodore 64 and amstrad CPC 464 that are on tape... that are impeccably hard to track!

i'll be dropping in new pics of stuff I find and chatting along! so please share! :pie_beaming_smiling:

I crossed 600 on the shelf a few months ago but it has been pretty slow; I have most of what I'd like for my retro consoles. Most recent pickups are Gale Racer (Saturn) and Archon (NES; gift from Barsinister Barsinister )

rYot5dtl.jpg

I made a speadsheet to keep myself organized. This is important not only for knowing what you have but also for organizing your wishlist and what you'd like to keep an eye out for. Which app do you use to keep track?

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I've shifted my strategy a lot for getting retro stuff over the last few years. A big problem I had was that it was starting to take up too much space, so I've decided to get far more selective of stuff I'll bother to track down. Also, prices got pretty lofty for a while, so I took a break from that madness. Prices will settle lower over time as the mania goes away for the generations I'm interested in, but won't be rock bottom prices like before. I'm also making a point to focus on solid state technology as well. No moving parts. No discs. Moving parts are more prone to breaking down and I am worried about eventual disc rot. Cartridge based systems are more durable. Unfortunately, SFC and Mega Drive games come at a premium, especially for the shmups I want. XD

Akuza89

I crossed 600 on the shelf a few months ago but it has been pretty slow; I have most of what I'd like for my retro consoles. Most recent pickups are Gale Racer (Saturn) and Archon (NES; gift from Barsinister Barsinister )

rYot5dtl.jpg

I made a speadsheet to keep myself organized. This is important not only for knowing what you have but also for organizing your wishlist and what you'd like to keep an eye out for. Which app do you use to keep track?

It's literally called "my game collection" haha nothing major really. It's just a free app, but I may look into a spreadsheet sort of system, since excel can work on my phone and computer so that'd be a bit easier.

Wanna see the Intellivision stuff. Grew up with that system and love it to bits.

I got these little bundle of intellivison stuff a few months back for £20 :messenger_ok:

FB_IMG_1539718211609_zpsyj6ntxyw.jpg

FB_IMG_1539718215162_zpsjddyhgox.jpg

FB_IMG_1539718225913_zpszj9qsfqo.jpg

I'm only looking for boxed intellivision games now since I got this bundle haha

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
I'm no collector, strictly a gamer. I just purchased a shiny new boxed Japanese clear keyboard for my Dreamcast for online play, an adapter that lets me use Saturn peripherals with Dreamcast, a steering wheel for the Saturn, and Saturn Twin sticks for Virtual On. I'm a very happy gamer :)

Edit: oh and also a Saturn light gun... but unfortunately I don't have a CRT yet so I forgot about it lol

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Good thread idea, I'd wondered about this for awhile too, how do people keep track of their collections, especially the larger ones, I'm somewhere close or just at 1000 physical games going back as far as the Atari 2600 Jr to the current gen consoles. I ended up finding an app I really like Sort It! its pretty handy if you're out shopping and come across something you're not sure if you already have it.

The users constantly update the database, you can scan bar codes on the back of the games with packaging and for the retro enthusiast or situations where a cart is loose, you can search the database and add the game into the database if its not already there. The info you can add is pretty detailed, front and back box art, publisher, developer, rating, release date, when you're done you just save and its added to the main database and saved to your collection.

I occasionally do still pick up some retro stuff, there are plenty of online auctions even though places like Facebook where you'll find some great deals, I'll remember to post my retro pickups here.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I'd honestly have more games if I wasn't concerned about how they looked. I do my best to avoid disgusting torn labels, ripped manuals, permanent market or whatever. At least I don't care about boxes for old cartridges.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason I find myself utterly loving the box art for those old games. Utterly gorgeous. In some weird way, even games I never played, just bring a little light to my blackened soul.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd honestly have more games if I wasn't concerned about how they looked. I do my best to avoid disgusting torn labels, ripped manuals, permanent market or whatever. At least I don't care about boxes for old cartridges.

Mr Clean Magic Erasers clean up old carts like nobodies business, as in like looking like new. Just be warned not to use them much on labels because they will smear them.

Bakkus

The PS2 launched 18 years ago.

In 2008 when the Wii, PS3, and 360 were out, would you have considered the SNES a retro console? It launched 18 years prior to that.
This is a dumb argument considering that mainstream gaming's age has increased by 200-300% since then.

anthraticus

Banned
little bundle of intellivison stuff a few months back for £20 :messenger_ok:
Nice. !
A1rSu0.gif
Love the artwork on those original Intellivision boxes. Still have mine from back in the day with like 50 games and the Intellivoice too. Could give you suggestions on games if you like.

Intellivision is really a great system to own as opposed to emulating, because of the unique controllers.

Last edited:

Bakkus

Why is it a dumb argument? What made SNES retro back then but the PS2 isn't retro now?
Because gaming evolved a lot more during that time than it has since.

When you get 36 years old, do you feel you have aged as much mentally and physically from when you were 18 as you did from when you were a baby to turning 18? Now put that analogy as a representative for mainstream gaming; How old was that when PS2 was released, and how old it is now?

Last edited:

Pallas

I’m not really into collecting, not now anyways(used to have a nice collection of PS1/PS2 JRPGs though) but I’m thinking of jumping in soon, especially after reading about the Polymega emulation console.

So I collect retro games ranging from commodore 64 through to the ps2 (if that can be called a retro console now..? :pie_thinking:)

I try my best to keep track of all my games (of which I have roughly 20+ consoles... I need to recount them really...) but there's always something I seem to mess up on!

So seeing the "recent purchases" thread, I thought why not make a retro pick ups and discussion thread so we can all try and help each other out a little! haha

looking at my app I use to track my games... I have...

Atari Lynx - 10 games
Intellivision - 14 games
Neo geo pocket color - 10 games
N64 - 17 games
NES - 37 games
gamecube - 36 games
PS2 - 49 games
Megadrive/genesis - 23 games
sega Saturn - 22 games
SNES - 38 games
PC engine (Japanese turbo GRAFX 16) - 21 games
wonderswan/wonderswan colour- 6 games

and sooo many games for my commodore 64 and amstrad CPC 464 that are on tape... that are impeccably hard to track!

i'll be dropping in new pics of stuff I find and chatting along! so please share! :pie_beaming_smiling:

Are you using a spreadsheet app or is there an app specifically for this?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i grew up w Atari 7800 and SNES, then stopped playing new games and just played emulators for a long time. eventually i started finding cheap consoles in thrift stores and have been doing that ever since. tbh i was kind of always into retro games, by the time 1990 rolled around i was still playing 7800 and buying unsold games for $1 from Big Lots. this was post video game crash, there was a lot of cheap, outdated games for sale.

after i was out of high school i started going thrifting all the time and found a began finding systems. first i found an NES, and i had a small collection of games. i never had one as a kid so this was real cool. i had Kid Icarus, a game i had never played before, and that was a lot of fun. i had the excellent NES Batman game. unfortunately i sold the NES and all my games on ebay once when i was broke. next i got a Genesis. i only had this for a brief time period. only had 2-3 games for it, i'm not sure what happened to it.

selling stuff i found on ebay was a nice way to make money in college. i sold someone an in-box VirtualBoy that i had found for $5. a few years ago i found a Playstation for $10, just sitting in an empty shopping cart. it was an original run, which supposedly had a specially good audio chip, and i played the heck out of it. someone sold me a book full of Square games. i started burning discs and using the disc swap method. eventually i ruined the CD player doing the disc swap. sadly, the unit itself sits in a suitcase somewhere, disabled. i don't want to throw it out.

past that, i have gotten a PSP, PS3, and N64, in that order. i hacked the PSP. on PS3 i digitally purchased a lot of PS2 games like Shadow of the Colossus, God Hand and Katamari Damacy. N64 is my most recent retro console. i beat Super Mario 64 for the first time this year and it was amazing. still haven't beaten OOT tho. i plan on doing so this fall.

Last edited:

Akuza89

So I went to a gaming expo yesterday called playexpo.

I didn't get that much... but what I did was pretty cool :messenger_beaming:

20181028_083232_zpsioxa2kgi_edit_1540715901653_zpspfflzbns.jpg

Yes I know I have Disney dance dance revolution... the songs are good on it and it's a 64 version I hadn't seen before... shush!

I got a pc engine arcade stick which was a really good find!

20181028_083349_zpsumedwzyl.jpg

And that's about it unfortunately! But still some good stuff!

Anyone got anything interesting recently?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I appreciate collecting for vintage system, really takes me back and it's 100000000x better playing on the original console than an emulator or download.

baphomet

Because gaming evolved a lot more during that time than it has since.

When you get 36 years old, do you feel you have aged as much mentally and physically from when you were 18 as you did from when you were a baby to turning 18? Now put that analogy as a representative for mainstream gaming; How old was that when PS2 was released, and how old it is now?

Just pointing out this is completely asinine.

How would i play imports?
Easiest way would be to import a Japanese PS2.

They share all the same cables, controllers, and even memory cards between the regions, of course. While I don't normally recommend buying a second system just for the sake of imports, the Japanese PS2 library is everything you love about the PS2, but doubled. Huge number of Japan-only PS2 games. I have around 50 North American region PS2 games. I have another 20 PS2 imports which is more than my entire Wii U library (to make a comparison).

Or, there are various ways to hack your PS2 and play imports that way. I'm not really sure which would be cheaper to do, since I know some of the old ways to make a PS2 region-free required now-out-of-print Game Shark-style hacking discs.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's literally called "my game collection" haha nothing major really. It's just a free app, but I may look into a spreadsheet sort of system, since excel can work on my phone and computer so that'd be a bit easier.

I got these little bundle of intellivison stuff a few months back for £20 :messenger_ok:

FB_IMG_1539718211609_zpsyj6ntxyw.jpg

FB_IMG_1539718215162_zpsjddyhgox.jpg

FB_IMG_1539718225913_zpszj9qsfqo.jpg

I'm only looking for boxed intellivision games now since I got this bundle haha
Reply to an old message............. dude. You hit the jackpot. Super Cobra is worth a mint.

dolabla

Haven't gotten it yet, but I ordered and RGB modded SNES Jr. recently. Gonna hook it up to my Framemeister. Can not wait to get it. I'm gonna start back game shopping soon. Mostly looking for NES, SNES and Genesis titles.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never had super rare games worth a ton, but I had these in the past. Some I gave to family members, some I sold for probably $10 back in the day. Who knew games would be collector's items.

- NES: Tengen Tetris
- Genesis: MUSHA, Contra, Castelvania, Truxton, PS4, Ghostbusters
- SNES: Axelay
- PS1: Castlevania SotN, Einhander

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
maxSAtf.jpg

My PS1 collection. Great system. I wouldn't be opposed to adding another row of 8 games if y'all have any suggestions? Doom would definitely be one. Do not say Vagrant Story lol I hate that game and only like to collect games that I play all the way through and actually find fun.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
maxSAtf.jpg

My PS1 collection. Great system. I wouldn't be opposed to adding another row of 8 games if y'all have any suggestions? Doom would definitely be one. Do not say Vagrant Story lol I hate that game and only like to collect games that I play all the way through and actually find fun.
220px-Einhander.JPG

Last edited:
My PS1 game collection.
xWyyEyG.jpg

I got Crash Bash free with Crash 3 which is why I got that crap.

maxSAtf.jpg

MediEvil 2 (not as good as first, but I still thought it was pretty good), Parasite Eve 2, Dino Crisis 2, Grandia (though it's coming to Switch), both Lunar's, Xenogears, and you might like Chrono Cross.

Last edited:

Shotpun

Sub_Level Sub_Level Jill Sandwich aka Resident Evil 1 since you already have the two sequels. You might also like Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, it's a bit like Tomb Raider as far as gameplay goes. And if you like to play classic shooters like Duke and Doom on PS1, Quake II was also released for it.

Top Bottom