• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Gaming

nani17

are in a big trouble
Just wondering if anyone here is into collecting retro consoles. Being a child of the 80's and 90's I grew up with these consoles and still own most of them. The majority of my collection is either mine or I got for free due to people knowing I like them. My favorite find was the Atari 520ST boxed which I found a neighbor dumping in a skip while I was walking past.

List of systems I own of the top of my head. Some I have multiples of
Atari 520ST boxed
Commodore c64 boxed
Super Nintendo boxed
N64
Nintendo Game Cube
Nintendo Wii
PS1
PS2 boxed
PS3 Boxed
Sega Mega Drive 2
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Game Gear (Needs to be fixed)
Gameboy, Color, mico, SP, DS
Xbox 360 Elite, slim boxed, arcade
PSP

and obviously modern ones and a gaming PC. I also have a Hyperspin MAME which has 80 plus systems.

I just love gaming :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

J-Roderton

Got into retro collecting a couple years ago. Mostly snagging stuff I never owned when I was young. Ended up selling every bit of it a while back. Just an endless endeavor. Got to be more about getting certain carts and stuff instead of just playing the games. Now I got a few collection games that have all of the stuff I wanna play on disc or digital for 360 or Xbone.

Still have my Sega and handhelds but that’s about it. Still will own an arcade cab one of these days, though.

Elfstar

I just like to own the stuff i really care about, mostly Neo Geo, Pc Engine, Mega Drive, Saturn and Dreamcast.
No point to endlessly collect shit you don't give a damn about just for the sake of it.

Airola

I have these:

Philips Videopac (Magnavox Odyssey2)
Commodore VIC-20
Commodore 64
Commodore Amiga
Atari 600XL
NES
Atari 520ST
Sega Mega Drive (with Master System converter)
Philips CD-i
Sony Playstation
Nintendo 64
Nintendo Wii
Xbox360
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo Wii U

+ a few Game & Watches and a Barcode Battler and a Carinco tv Pong system.

The most precious one for me is Commodore 64.

EDIT:
Oh, I also have Video Driver, which is a VHS game thing.

Last edited:
I have a few copies of each console but that's for the sake of having spare parts and stuff to hack, not because I'm trying to "collect" different variants.

I think it's better to buy a smaller range of consoles and make yourself a really good collection for each instead of having a huge variety of consoles but only a handful of common games for it.

Also, if collecting old consoles is important to you, then pick up 2 (or more) CRTs and adopt them. CRTs need a good home and 10 years from now you'll regret not having one, trust me.

Airola

I think it's better to buy a smaller range of consoles and make yourself a really good collection for each instead of having a huge variety of consoles but only a handful of common games for it.

I think I have never even tried to collect any certain thing. I'm going in a full chaos mode when I'm getting stuff.

I follow my sensei:

Also, if collecting old consoles is important to you, then pick up 2 (or more) CRTs and adopt them. CRTs need a good home and 10 years from now you'll regret not having one, trust me.

This is true. It's 100% impossible to play the games the way they were intended to play if you are not playing them on a CRT.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Sega Mega Drive(or Genesis)
PlayStation
Nintendo 64
PS2
Gamecube

But my favorite retro console that I own is the Sega Saturn. Unfortunately the disk drive stopped working, and I have no idea how to fix it.

Akuza89

ooo ooo me me !

I collect / play retro games :messenger_beaming:

I did create a list on another topic that was for retro pick ups.... however that thread sank... :messenger_pensive: ** COUGH COUGH ** CLICK HERE TO JOIN IN **COUGH COUGH**

HOWEVER! to copy it from my topic here is a list of consoles/ the amount of games I have for them!

Atari Lynx - 10 games
Intellivision - 14 games
Neo geo pocket color - 10 games
N64 - 17 games
NES - 37 games
gamecube - 36 games
PS2 - 49 games
Megadrive/genesis - 23 games
sega Saturn - 22 games
SNES - 38 games
PC engine (Japanese turbo GRAFX 16) - 21 games
wonderswan/wonderswan colour- 6 games

and sooo many games for my commodore 64 and amstrad CPC 464 that are on tape... that are impeccably hard to track!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I seem to collect retro consoles by accident. Usually a friend says “Do you want this? Because if not, it’s going in the bin.”

I can’t stand to see retro stuff be lost to time, so I take them for preservations sake. I guess you can say I am kind of a retro console welfare shelter, lol.

I’ve gotten Sega Master System, Sega Game Gear, NES, SNES, OG Xbox, Nintendo 64, Gameboy Advance and others I forget this way, including games. Plus CRTs.

I had an awesome retro gaming room setup, but had to move, so my current one is not as I would like.

Other than that, I don’t obsessively collect retro stuff in hipster fashion. I have a want list if I win the lotto one day though.

Game Systems I Own

Atari 2600
Master System
Gameboy
Game Gear
NES (multiple)
Gameboy Pocket
SNES (multiple)
PSX
N64 (multiple)
Dreamcast
PS2
Xbox
Gameboy Advance
Gamecube
Gameboy Micro
NDS
NDS Lite
NDSi
PSP
X360 Slim
PS3 Slim
Wii
Wii (hacked)
Retro Duo
Retron 5
3DS
3DSXL
Wii U
Switch
PC
NES Mini
SNES Mini
PSX Mini (ordered)
MAME cabinet

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
I have a few copies of each console but that's for the sake of having spare parts and stuff to hack, not because I'm trying to "collect" different variants.

Had an old wooden panel one died on me can't find a person to repair

nani17

are in a big trouble
I seem to collect retro consoles by accident. Usually a friend says “Do you want this? Because if not, it’s going in the bin.”

I can’t stand to see retro stuff be lost to time, so I take them for preservations sake. I guess you can say I am kind of a retro console welfare shelter, lol.

I’ve gotten Sega Master System, Sega Game Gear, NES, SNES, OG Xbox, Nintendo 64, Gameboy Advance and others I forget this way, including games. Plus CRTs.

I had an awesome retro gaming room setup, but had to move, so my current one is not as I would like.

Other than that, I don’t obsessively collect retro stuff in hipster fashion. I have a want list if I win the lotto one day though.

That's the exact same for me people throw them out and I'm like no no I'll take it. I don't hand out 300 or anything for consoles. Here in Ireland, some people think they have gold. NES no leads controller or games 60 euros.:messenger_tears_of_joy: . Like i said in my OP Some i owned and the rest i get off people.

Would love an NES one day and a Vectrex

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
That's the exact same for me people throw them out and I'm like no no I'll take it. I don't hand out 300 or anything for consoles. Here in Ireland, some people think they have gold. NES no leads controller or games 60 euros.:messenger_tears_of_joy: . Like i said in my OP Some i owned and the rest i get off people.

Would love an NES one day and a Vectrex
I’d love a Vectrex too, but they are rare as shit here in Australia.

Vlaphor

The rarest console I own is a Japanese NeoGeo. I also have a Colecovision Adam (doesn't work), a Virtual Boy (bought it for $30 from KB Toys), a Wonderswan, and an Atari 800.

I do own every NES/SEGA, Sony, and Microsoft console (the main versions anyway), a TurboDuo, a 3do (which I think has a really good library) and a CDi (which has a garbage library...but a mildly neat version of Tetris). I'd like to get a Jaguar someday.

My holy grail of collection isn't a console per se, but is the Sharp X68000. I have the money for one now, but it'd be a lot, and they are known to have faulty power supplies (the first version came out in 85, so this isn't too surprising). Also, any games for them would be really expensive.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I have a N64, two PSP's (both not working), and 2 PS2's( one doesn't read disc) a PS3 but it died.

raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I collect GBA & Gamecube games not that they are really all that retro yet. Bought Chibi Robo for close to triple digits this year, very good game btw.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening

My AV cables for my N64 are fucked.

I had CFW and other stuff installed on my PSP.

it was a triple whammy with my fat PS3. The hard drive got corrupted, the lens stopped reading disc and finally, YLoD.

Had a slim but stupidly gave it to my mom and I don't think she plays it.

I re-bought a PS2 so...I wish these companies cared about game preservation.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I own about 35 consoles and 40+ handhelds.
I use a framemeister and a b&o crt
My goal is to get the best image out of my old hardware

So before I ended up getting sick and it halted my progress on my office project. I started digging out what I had and started buying stuff. I left off needing to add 4 more shelves under the 10 footer and I was designing the 12 ft desk. The retro consoles were the main theme of the office. I have some statues and hot toys left over that I just have tossed on the top shelf for now but the consoles have been a pretty neat thing to display. Sadly on some of the consoles I only have controllers or sometimes no controllers and a console. I’m mostly after clean looking systems.

So far I have...

Colecovision
Ps1
Ps2 x 3 somehow. Two are modded.
PS3 fat
PS3 Slim
Psp
Xbox
Gamecube
N64
Dreamcast
Snes classic

Still looking for a Genesis. Master system. Nes. Snes. All the usuals. Once I add the other shelves I can situate them based on either generation or maker. Here’s an album of what it looks like at the moment.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Twisted Metal you deserve a like just for that. I also love some of the long boxes. They never came here

Twisted Metal you deserve a like just for that. I also love some of the long boxes. They never came here

Yeah. I loved those boxes. Wish I would have kept them all. I always had to sell all my stuff growing up to afford the new stuff. So going back and rounding it all up is kinda fun.

I only picked a few games per console to display. Obviously twisted metal was an easy choice.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I have a ton of retro game stuff but hardly ever use any of it because it's usually more practical or convenient to just emulate the damn game. It still looks nice displayed well though.

My family still plays Snowboard Kids N64, but emulated so we don't have to endure the pain of seeing N64 res on a modern TV in 4 player split screen. So I often wonder why I'm holding on to two copies of the game...along with loads of other old stuff just taking up space at this point lol. Years after my 360 broke someone literally left behind a slim at my house, I've still never used it lol, it's not retro but stories like this are why I have six N64's. But lately I've been starting to trim that kind of fat from my collection, it's a little silly. But there are many retro items I would never part with!

To me it's a question of significance to the past. It's a collection that grew with me. There is a shelf I almost never pull anything from full of choice boxed games that made an impression on me, about half are the actual copy I got when it was new. Titles like Aladdin on Genesis or Yoshi's Island on SNES. There is something magical about seeing Pierce Brosnin's face with the N64 logo near your gold OOT. I've always been a gamer so looking down that shelf is always like peeling layers off time, each one recalls memories from its time period, such as where I was when I played it, or who was with me when I first saw the game.

Because it's so easy to emulate most games now, I'd prefer to keep that cache of collectibles that define my exploration into gaming than to entertain this insatiable need to collect more physical items. Once I have 15 SNES carts, I'm good, trying to acquire more when they're easy to access digitally feels like trying to fill a void with limitless expansion of stuff. I think I was this way somewhat in the past without being aware of it, and it's not how I want to be.

Most normal ass people would probably think this list is ridiculous but I think it's actually pretty tame around here, my oldest system is only NES lol.

NES
SNES
N64
GCN
Wii
WiiU
Switch
GBA
GBASP
3DS
Genesis
Saturn
Dreamcast
Game Gear
NeoGeo Pocket Color
PS3
PS4

I don't really see myself as a collector; that being said.... i do have a collection of games and consoles i love :messenger_beaming: that are retro &/or modern.
Psx - 35 games
Ps2 - 150 games
PsV - 65 games
Ps3 - 300 games
Ps4 - 140 games
GameCube - 88 games
Wii - 103 games
Wii U - 36 games
Switch - 6 games
Xbox - 155 games
Xbox 360 - 56 games
Xbox One - 50 games
PC - 60 games

Collecting old consoles is cool. But thanks to SNES Mini I can play some of my favorite old games as well as playing some I dreamed about as a kid with no money. I remember staring at magazine adverts of Secret of Mana when I was young and now I can play it on SNES Mini. Which reminds me I must pick up a NES Mini too.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I play a lot on older consoles, especially this year, where absolutely nothing of interest for me releases (outside of Spyro, which only releases incomplete though), my collection of systems is the following:

NES
SNES
N64
GCN
Wii
Wii U
Switch
GB
GBC
GBA (+SP)
DS Lite
3DS (+XL +New)
VB

Master System
Mega Drive (+32X)
Saturn
Dreamcast
Game Gear
Neo Geo Pocket Color

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One

PS1
PS2
PSP
PSV

Havoc2049

The majority of my time goes into modern gaming, but I do have a rather large retro console and computer collection, with the main focus being on Atari. I probably have between 500-700 boxed games across all my systems. I really need to get a hard count one day.

Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari XE Game System
Atari 65XE
Atari 1040STe
Atari Lynx
Atari Jaguar w/Jag CD
Sega CDX
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast
NeoGeo Pocket Color
Nintendo GBA
Nintendo GC w/Gameboy Player
Nintendo DS
Nintendo 3DS
Sony PSP
Sony Vita
Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One & Xbox One X
PC

Kazza

It's funny looking at CRT listings on ebay. If you look at auctions, then they are still going for really cheap (although they almost invariably want you to come and pick them up, I guess those big heavy things aren't worth the hassle and cost of delivering). However, there are a few "buy it now" chancers trying to sell them at a relatively high prices by rebranding them as "retro console TVs".

Kazza

I pretty much entirely switched to PC strategy gaming around 1998, followed by no gaming at all for several years while I travelled/worked/studied around the world. I was massively into gaming as a kid, devouring the monthly games magazines, so when I finally returned to the UK in 2015, I had a lot of fun binging on retro youtube channels to catch up on the past 15 years of gaming that I had missed out on. I was going to just jump into this gen with an Xbox or PS4, but then thought, why not just pick up where I left off, so I ended up buying an original Xbox, PS2 etc. Since then, I've kind of been a retro gamer by default.

It's funny, when my friend (who has kept up with gaming all along) tells me how amazing the graphics are on the latest FIFA or Red Dead 2, I'm just waxing lyrical on how blown away I am by the graphics in FIFA 01 or Metroid Prime :messenger_tears_of_joy: It's been a good bonding subject with the younger guys at work as well. I've realised that for them (who are in their early twenties), PS2/Dreamcast/Gamcube/Xbox games hold the same nostalgic value as Megadrive games do for me. It's funny to see them become all teary and misty eyed when I tell them how I've been playing Halo or Zelda: Wind Waker over the weekend. They give good recommendations too.

I have to be careful though. I once inadvertently triggered a 6th generation console war between a PS2 and a Gamecube fanboy. I had to change the subject before things got out of hand. Not always good for interpersonal relations in the office after all!

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I'd actually love to own them all. But I don't have enough room. My wife's already hating what little I have. Imagine if I had a roomful.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
I dont have a huge collection but I like to get stuff that I feel will become collectors or rare items. Some of the stuff I'm most proud of is a first gen PS3 that has backwards compatibility, a JVC XEye which is IMHO the coolest Genesis hardware ever made.

Kazza

I dont have a huge collection but I like to get stuff that I feel will become collectors or rare items. Some of the stuff I'm most proud of is a first gen PS3 that has backwards compatibility, a JVC XEye which is IMHO the coolest Genesis hardware ever made.

800px-Wondermega_rgm1.jpg

Agreed, but you have to admit that "Wondermega" is a better name. If I could choose any single piece of retro hardware, it would be this. I lusted after this so much as a kid! It's weird, because at its heart it's basically just a Megadrive and Mega CD, which I already owned. I knew that at the time too, but still desperately wanted one!

Last edited:

BlackTron

I have to be careful though. I once inadvertently triggered a 6th generation console war between a PS2 and a Gamecube fanboy. I had to change the subject before things got out of hand. Not always good for interpersonal relations in the office after all!

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Airola

I also love some of the long boxes. They never came here

At least Europe had better boxes in general. US had these normal jewel cases but our regular PS boxes were these nice thick at least double the thickness boxes.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I collect the information in my mind and in a txt file. I own a few consoles, but history and the preservation of it is more of my thing.

MilkyJoe

Bump...

Just bought a Raspberry Pie fuly loaded with a bunch of old emulators and 22,000 games. Looking forward to theat sweet It Came From The Desert...

a house sale near me is listing about 30 intellivision games CIB, im not a huge collector, in fact im looking to sell my collection for the most part, but i cant help but think this would be a great addition to the lot... i just dont have much time to go today

Top Bottom