• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retronauts Podcast Thread

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I got sad hearing about Benj turning up with a relevant issue of Atari Age. I used to have the whole run, some Atari Force, at least one SwordQuest comic, and I'm pretty sure I remember a Yar's Revenge comic too.

Had no idea there was such top name talent on those little comic books!

I had some Atari Club exclusive, Quadrun and Crazy Climber (was that exclusive?) but I gave the whole 2600 case, console, 40 games, and all this stuff to a girl in college when I owed her like 50 bucks. I went back two days later to buy it back but she pawned it quick. :(

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Those original SwordQuest comics (the ones by top-flight ’80s DC talent) are being reprinted in an omnibus by Dynamite in a few months.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Those original SwordQuest comics (the ones by top-flight ’80s DC talent) are being reprinted in an omnibus by Dynamite in a few months.

Nice. Got Art of Atari for Christmas, still need to sit down and read it, as well. I'm just halfway thru that ep, tho, should be able to finish it up on the commute tonight.

Went and googled for myself on that Yar's Revenge comic, I remembered right about it. Flood of nostalgia at seeing it again:

post-30396-0-27618200-1342569156.jpg

I also had a complete stack of Electronic Games early run as a kid, but my mom was the one who chucked those out, so I had to forgive her for it because she's my mom. :D

The ad format, content, number of ads, advertiser, all of that is determined by PC1. All we have say in is order and actual text/tone of the live reads. I'm not a fan of the giant block, but it's how they require we handle it.

Yeah I mostly figured. I'm surprised, I would figure a giant block of ads would make people skip more often, but I guess they're the ones with the giant podcast analytics machines.

Of course, it's only $3 a month for ad-free Retronauts... ;)

I backed the Kickstarter and have been a patron quite a while now and in all that time I have never been un-lazy enough to set up the backer feed. >_>

I got sad hearing about Benj turning up with a relevant issue of Atari Age. I used to have the whole run, some Atari Force, at least one SwordQuest comic, and I'm pretty sure I remember a Yar's Revenge comic too.

I had a hand-me-down run of Atari Force, I wonder what happened to that. Everything about that whole weird situation is something I'd love to hear about.

Just finished to the Bro episode, all the talk about Conan style games reminded me of my personal fav from growing up, Barbarian on the C64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ORMf6SjTc
I loved how easy it was to just behead your opponents in one shot if you were lucky.

As for the adds, I usually skip them, I'm not in America and I don't think many of them I can use to be honest, I should be not lazy and set up the Patreon feed in my normal Podcast App one of these days.

Imbarkus

Saturday morning and it seems totally perfect to be sitting here watching The Real Ghostbusters.

According to Netflix, the "Season one" of this episode is like 78 episodes so it must have been a full three year commitment on the first buy. Once you get into Season 2 you get another 13, but that's when Dave Coullier stepped in for Mr. Music. I had forgotten that one of my favorite voices on this show was Arsenio Hall as Winston, all the way through 91 episodes of the first two seasons. Then it became Slimer vs. Ghostbusters and he took off, and each season is an 8 episode ala carte buy it seems.

Jeremy have you ever done animated Egon for halloween? The vocal cadence similarity is undeniable. Animated Egon is beyond deadpan, when on point. I just pulled down a bit in episode 3 about a ghost named "What" that rivals "Who's on first?"

The streaming episodes do seem to be pulled from the cheaper later DVD release. They have generic title cards where apparently the original run had custom title card art for each episode. That will mean a couple of episodes will also be missing as well.

This series deserves a loving, cleaned up blu-ray release.

Getting kinda off-topic, but my understanding is we were very lucky to get the Time-Life set looking as good as it did. I think the film elements have evaporated somehow (or were never preserved) so you couldn't really do a BD set unless it was just SD-on-BD.

That said, if those elements could be found I would be all over it. I have the Time-Life set and it's good stuff even if the Stracynski interviews are kinda short and disappointing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Finally listened to the castlevania handheld games episode and really enjoyed it. I wished you covered mirror of fate, because as flawed as that game is (and it is weak), it does some interesting things that draw certain contrasts to how IGA was making his games.

Also I passionately love castlevania 64 and would love to hear a full discussion on that. I feel like robot skeletons on motorbikes (and seriously castlevania is full of well intentioned goofy shit) and Vaseline o vision is the first and only thing people talk about and not the real 3D platforming levels, unique time management system, and very cool adventure aspects. The villa level is very well done and I'd much rather play that then circle of the moon or harmony of dissonance.

Or

Don't kill me

Portrait of ruin

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
There's a lot of really cool stuff in Castlevania 64, and it's dragged down by reaaaally rough controls... and the fact that they didn't actually finish the game. Sadly, the sequel that was basically just the finished version of CV64 is front-loaded with a level full of platforming that ranks in the bottom 10th percentile of N64 platforming. I really wish those games had turned out better than they did, because they had a lot of interesting ideas.

bigkrev

Just heard a Retronauts ad on the Adam Carolla show, so it's clear that the Podcast One deal is getting you guys more exposure!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There's a lot of really cool stuff in Castlevania 64, and it's dragged down by reaaaally rough controls... and the fact that they didn't actually finish the game. Sadly, the sequel that was basically just the finished version of CV64 is front-loaded with a level full of platforming that ranks in the bottom 10th percentile of N64 platforming. I really wish those games had turned out better than they did, because they had a lot of interesting ideas.

But I don't think the first version feels unfinished. It's still lengthy and feels substantial in the original release, even though it obviously had a lot of cut content if you were following the development. I think of Legacy of Darkness more like a game of the year rerelease with DLC than I do a patch. I think the changes to the plot are somewhat significant. And, yes, that stupid ship level is awful.

The game's got very floaty controls for sure but that is because everything is made of vaseline.

I think Shane forgot to mention his constant stanning for OoE when it came out. He even called it his cause célèbre on 1up yours one week. I still think that game is really weak; the linear levels are just a waste of time and the bosses have so much HP. Where's that comic of Shanoa whacking the crab for 10 hours?

Rlan

Been loving the last couple of episodes. I've enjoyed the Simpsons ones a lot, since they focus on games a lot of people played, but few people actually cared about. I remember seeing Bart's nightmare a lot, but never played any of them outside of Space Mutants & Virtual Bart.

I'd be keen to see this format on other games that lots of people played, but don't really stack up anymore, like Bubsy 1. I remember seeing the game "Greendog: The Beach Surfer Dude" a lot for the Genesis, but never finished it. Weird games like that I think you could definitely do micros on. Admittedly more keen on games you haven't played with a fresh perspective - not sure I need more Castlevania or Megaman casts :p

Also really like the idea of reading some of the reviews from the time, even referencing when some games got a covers on magazines too.

Been loving the last couple of episodes. I've enjoyed the Simpsons ones a lot, since they focus on games a lot of people played, but few people actually cared about. I remember seeing Bart's nightmare a lot, but never played any of them outside of Space Mutants & Virtual Bart.

Thanks! We're definitely going to be tackling more Simpsons games soon.

I only just got into Retronauts a few weeks ago, when my friend posted about the Celebrity Games episode. I use to love the podcast during the 1up days.

Now I'm listening to Retronauts and part of their Patreon, listening to Talking Simpsons on the side, and watching Game Boy World.

I just wanted to say that the podcasts have been great fare for work, been learning a lot, and just love the many different personalities involved!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I got to the final level of Bart versus the World, much further than I ever got in Space Mutants and gave up after falling down that wall at the top after about three hours.

Furthest I've ever seen in a console Simpsons game.

I actually beat all or most of the GB ones.

Congrats on 100 episodes, guys. I have been busy as hell the last few months and haven't been keeping up after being a religious listener up until this winter. I now have more free time over the summer and can't wait to gorge on all the latest soon.

Imbarkus

Enjoyed the 80's Mac Classic Gaming ep you guys. I thought the Myst music was fine since you got Riven etc for the 90's ep. ;)

I graduated high school in '90. I n the late 80's I had some friends with Macs so I got to see Uninvited, Dark Castle, and Balance of Power a bit, these were my better-off friends with nicer houses and richer parents, to be honest. Macs were very very envy-worthy out here in Colorado.

I bought Dark Castle and Beyond Dark Castle for my C-64 at the time, and despite the "hold down the fire button and move the joystick up and down to aim the rocks" control structure I stubbornly pushed through both of them, in symbolic class protest, as my dad was a Teamster.

Looking forward to the 90's ep. I was out of college and working at a phone center in Greeley, Colorado in 1994 that handled tech support for Macs. I was on the queue for the DOS-Compatble Power-Mac, which had an actual separate Intel board in it, which meant I was walking Mac users through editing the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files to optimize memory for games.

Talk about an irritated and disappointed set of users. This was supposed to be a Mac!

Some dude in the cubicle over got big with Hypercard and moved up in the company, I took two hour lunches to play Primal Rage and MK3 at the local arcade, because god! tech support sucks. :|

krae_man

It's a shame episode 100 was recorded before the Night Trap HD Remake announcement.

I totally agree that the Atari Jaguar CD was totally a "Everyone else is doing one, we need to do this" thing and served no purpose. I disagree when it comes to the Neo Geo CD.

For one thing, it was stand alone and not an attachment. And the other selling point was "the games don't cost $300". I had one for a little bit and bought Turf Masters because it had an extra course that was a St Andrews inspired links style. But the load times on the thing were so terrible I could never be bothered to do what you needed to do to unlock it. Not sure if any of the other Neo Geo CD games had extra content on the disk or not, but that one did.

Side note: I finally got around to logging back into my Kickstarter account and listening to the Atari Lynx episode. Really enjoyed that one too.

krae_man

Bob, Jeremy, have you considered removing the one week advance perk from the Patreon now that the free version has ads in it?

The conversation about episodes is disjointed with the two groups of listeners. It's worth looking at if it won't impact how much and how many people contribute.

Bob, Jeremy, have you considered removing the one week advance perk from the Patreon now that the free version has ads in it?

The conversation about episodes is disjointed with the two groups of listeners. It's worth looking at if it won't impact how much and how many people contribute.

What? Why would you want to take away my Advance Patreon perk? Boo!

Tiktaalik

Oh boy I’d never thought I’d see a whole podcast about Bart’s Nightmare.

So rarely do those precious opportunities where a parent offers to buy you a brand new game present themselves, and one time I foolishly wasted one of these opportunities on this awful awful game.

I never really put that much of an effort into beating it. It was just too baffling.

I really liked the review round up at the end. That certainly changes my impression of history. I always figured that the reason I bought this game was that I was too young to have realized that licensed games were a terrible idea, as I did play and occasionally buy a fair amount of lousy licensed games back then, but the fact that this game got high scores means that it’s possible I may have read one of these lousy reviews and thought it was at probably at least decent.

krae_man

Henry confused GT Sport with GT6(Which has already come out).

Props to Jeremy for bringing back the "Hi I'm Daisy joke".

Anybody else have their less capable sibling help them complete 150cc on Super Mario Kart by having them drive backwards and red shell/crash into the top CPU players?

You can hurt people in battle mode with Bowser and DK jr in Super Mario Kart if you crash into them with a mushroom boost. I always tried to get a first hit in via battle mode that way and a boost start that way. Hard to pull off, but really rewarding if you do.

well now I'm curious what happened with Bob and the random jerk before the CD-ROM episode haha

I was ordering drinks at the bar for the recording of our CD-ROM episode, and an extremely drunk man (who apparently sat through our panel) told me my "interview" was terrible. I told him to have another drink, and walked further down the bar to get away from him. As I'm ordering, I see him get up and come towards me, and I start to wonder if he's going to punch me in the back of the head. Instead, he grabs my shoulder and says, "Listen, you really need to learn to take criticism." Then I told him to get the fuck away from me.

I really like MGC, but issues like this wouldn't happen if the panels had their own rooms instead of being out in an open space. Also, one mic per panelist would have been nice! (We had this problem last year, too.)

.JayZii

Banned
I've really enjoyed Retronauts' David Bowie-esque myriad image changes over the years. Is the black and white logo on the CD-ROM episode going to be the default going forward?

Heard about Retronauts because Bob Mackey is on Talking Simpsons. Downloaded several episodes, and I loved their coverage of EarthBound and their experiences of getting an NES.

CO_Andy

Can you guys fix your site layout? It's inconvenient to have to scroll through walls of text to find an episode or finding anything from the past. If you guys need a reference on what a decent site looks like then i recommend checking out USgamer.

Also the direct download links don't work. I'm right clicking those and i'm getting an empty file.

BearChair

Can you guys fix your site layout? It's inconvenient to have to scroll through walls of text to find an episode or finding anything from the past. If you guys need a reference on what a decent site looks like then i recommend checking out USgamer.

Also the direct download links don't work. I'm right clicking those and i'm getting an empty file.

You see the irony of suggesting Jeremy and Bob make Retronauts look more like USgamer, right?

Curufinwe

Gran Turismo is a lot more popular than it was given credit for. Gran Turismo 6 was the latest one, releasing in December 2013 on the PS3 and selling over 5 million copies. The upcoming PS4 version Henry was thinking of is actually called Gran Turismo Sport.

Over the past 20 years the series has sold almost 77 million copies. Forza is nowhere near that level of popularity.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/products/

PaulBizkit

Awesome episode. Don't fear about going too specific, we are here just for that! The episode was very entertaining, and clocking at about 2 hours gives me something to listen to throught the week. Can you guys remaster (or re-do) the Super Scope 6 episode?

"He's the one driving the series forward"
Brilliant

Download the episodes from their PodcastOne page. It works perfectly fine!

Gran Turismo is a lot more popular than it was given credit for. Gran Turismo 6 was the latest one, releasing in December 2013 on the PS3 and selling over 5 million copies. The upcoming PS4 version Henry was thinking of is actually called Gran Turismo Sport.

Over the past 20 years the series has sold almost 77 million copies. Forza is nowhere near that level of popularity.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/products/

I always felt like GT was a niche game, while MK was more of a massive mainstream one. They are probably talking about the latter games (nfs, burnout, franchises that reached the top but eventually fell off)

daydream

Banned
if possible, it would be nice if the mp3 files had the right names again. ever since the podcastone move, they're just a random letter/number sequence, at least on podcastone

Swordian

Listening to the Mariokart episode. Pretty sure the drifting technique in MK64, DD, and DS was all the same. DD just changed from smoke to sparks.

I definitely miss it in the newer entries. It was more involving and I feel the new auto-drift is too slow to activate. MK8 would be my favorite if it had the older drifting mechanic.

I played all of them except Double Dash as research before recording the episode and they seemed pretty different to me.

I agree. Also, with all the different kart options in DS, everyone quickly discovered that Yoshi's egg kart was the best for snaking so almost every online race was just people in the egg kart.

PillarEN

Oh we are still talking Mario Kart here?

Good. I'm one of those freaks who absolutely loves the GBA game. Even played it through LAN (not that that's weird). My two most played MK games are the GBA one and MK Wii. Like I probably have close to 500 hours of MK Wii if I had to guess. One of my favorite tracks in the Wii game is Bowser Castle 3 GBA :) . I like Moo Moo Meadows too and Wario's Gold Mine or whatever it's called. Mushroom Gorge too.
I also like that on the fastest setting and mirror mode I can still finish 1st going into the last lap from 12th place. Can't do that in 8. Good luck moving 3 positions regardless of which power up you use. Items almost have no impact in that game in terms of giving you a true boost. 3 mushrooms in 8 is like nothing unless you specifically use it to cut corners unavailable to regular racers. They aren't so much boosts as much as they cancel out the effects of the ground you ride on.
Honky thing is cool and all but have some gut and carry a mushroom to avoid the blue shell like in the Wii game.

/rant

P.S. Snaking is the devil and so are online MK hackers. I hate that in Wii online the only way to win was using Funky Kong on a bike or something. Boring! I still rocked Toadette to the bitter end.

Fiendcode

Started the Link's Awakening episode but already I have an Uhm Actually to throw out: For Frog the Bell Tolls was developed by R&D1/Intelligent Systems and not EAD! Link's Awakening reused the engine and was indeed EAD's second Gameboy game, however Wave Race was their first.

.JayZii

Banned
Listening to the Link's Awakening episode now. I've actually never finished the game, so I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Biggest takeaway so far? Don't talk smack on season two of Twin Peaks, Bob and Henry. Is over half of it terrible? Yes. But the first seven episodes are great, and the final episode is legitimately incredible.

God, listening to this Retronauts about Link's Awakening... LA is undoubtedly my favorite Zelda game, all-time. Good stuff. I very much enjoyed this episode, gonna replay the game too.

(Game Boy Original version. I like how there was a weird ghosting effect on the sprite's animations and I feel like some of that was scrubbed away in the DX edition, as well as the select-button-warping.)

Listening to the Link's Awakening episode now. I've actually never finished the game, so I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Biggest takeaway so far? Don't talk smack on season two of Twin Peaks, Bob and Henry. Is over half of it terrible? Yes. But the first seven episodes are great, and the final episode is legitimately incredible.

I actually prefer Deadly Premonition to BOTH seasons >:)

Top Bottom