• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retronauts Podcast Thread

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
I was more surprised at the weird dig towards Frank Cifaldi, but glad to see that was immediately squashed.

I think it was more an innocent attempt at name-dropping without really thinking through the negative implications, but yeah, I'd hate for anyone to get the impression Frank is some sort of secretive ROM-hoarder when his entire purpose now is 100% the opposite of that.

lol jeremy had visions of your stupid post the second benj made the genesis joke

If you listen carefully after Benj's joke, you can hear the exact moment my soul leaves my body.

Someone also got mad that I made an ALF joke during our Master System panel so I'm now banning all jokes from Retronauts.
I hope you told that person to go choke on a cat.

Anyway, some people are still upset at Dyack jokes made almost a decade ago. Sometimes jokes hit the nerves of people in strange ways.

Dylan

I admire Shane's knowledge and passion. He just loves games in spite of the system. Admittedly, his problem is that he has a very "cred"-centric point of view. On one hand, I think he sees some game fans as poseurs if they came late to a party (which is very wrong), but on the other, he is possibly trying to maintain a contextual discussion about the game at the time of it's release. I totally get your complaint though.

My take on Shane is that he correctly understands that video games are not politics or cancer research, and that being a bit boisterous in your passion for something can be fun and entertaining, and jokingly throwing shade at others for their own opinions is no more wrong than someone who claims their hockey team is the best and someone elses' is the worst. It goes without saying that these reactions are all in good fun, and I think the only people in the wrong in these cases are people who attempt to inject some weird version of political correctness into discussions video game nostalgia. It's just games, so let people celebrate their illogical biases and artificial fan hierarchies. Ultimately that's part of the fun of video games and should remind us not to take them too seriously.

Sapiens

Jeremy, I'll say it again, you're doing great work. Your knowledge, dedication and professionalism are appreciated. Deeply. I love your youtube channel. I don't skip your ads, ever, out of respect.

I heard what you said immediately afterward and I still could not resist posting in spite of people calling me stupid for saying it. I just felt I had to say it - if I'm going to listen to a podcast about stuff I love, I don't want to listen to people who are blatantly misinformed in a discussion where they should have the same level of professionalism and passion you do.

I'm obviously being dismissed, but that's fine. I'm glad you at least read what I had to say. Thank you again for the dedication you put into what you do. I never want you to feel as if I'm putting you or your work down. I just want to provide what I feel is valid criticism.

I will go back to my corner and continue my butthurt now. I take back the shit I said earlier. I'll keep listening and deal.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Just finished the Batman episode. Good stuff overall.

There was a C-64 game I played, non-isometric, but before the Ocean movie Batman game, known as Batman: The Caped Crusader. It had a weird way of overlapping new hallway screens on top of the visible underlying borders of the screens you had come through before. I wonder if this is what you were referring to?

tumblr_ngwonc4CaK1ski24bo7_r1_1280.png

I have copy of a bootloader for it. The game was next to impossible so it was nice to run it and get arund a bit more, being immune to al the various deadly things constantly hitting you on every screen.

I don't know why Batman games, as you mentioned, were so brutally difficult, so many times. I know Benj had some good things to say about Batman Returns for Lynx--and the game did have big sprites and good music and graphics--but I returned it, as I never could progress past the first level. This was pre-internet, but I honestly think many overly-hard Lynx games don't even have cheat codes to make them winnable. I'd be curious if Benj ever saw level 2 of Batman Returns.

reviewbatmanreturns-3.jpg

It was a shame the episode ended when it did. I mean, I didn't expect a lot of Arkham game coverage in Retronauts, but there's still a bunch of interesting stuff to cover. You left off right at the SNES and Genesis Batman & Robin, but right before mentioning the Sega CD game. Unlike Spiderman Vs Kingpin, this was a totally different game, a racing game using the Sega CD's sprite scaling.

advbatrobscd05.png

It wasn't very good but it did feature whole unique animated clips done by Bruce Timm and co just for the game. You can find these around the webs as "
watch

And then, finally, I know there were lots of juicy inside baseball stories about the disaster that was Batman: Dark Tomorrow, based on the classic blue-and-grey Batman, which ended up as Koei/Tecmo's swan song as a publisher, IIRC. Stories of lvish PR and parties tied to this shit game hold hold some interest.

batmandarkrev_460a.jpg

I hope you do come back to the topic. I'm glad we got some info on the cancelled The Dark Knigh adaptation game last year.

mattp

did i just zone out or did they not bring up the genesis version of adventures of batman & robin?
because that game is fucking GREAT (and i think jeremy would like it a lot, if he hasn't played it)

.JayZii

Banned
We missed a bunch of Batman games. Guess we have no choice but to revisit the topic, someday...
Well if the music sucks on the Genesis version you had better keep your nasty NES-biased comments to yourself. Maybe you should think about people's feelings before you go around implying that Genesis games don't sound the same as NES games.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
There are so many bad 16 and 32 bit batman games. Then there's actually some real decent ones in the GCN/PS2/XBOX days.

I really enjoyed Vengeance on Gamecube. One of the first four games I bought for the system, and so we played the crap out of it. It was a damn sight better than Universal Theme Park game, that's for sure!

Rise of Sin Tzu was alright. Horrible invisible walls in that game, with a timer running so you had to jog back and find the one bad guy you didn't kill to proceed. Still, had a better Clayface boss battle than the one in Arkham City.

Listening to the Batman episode last week, I feel bad for liking Arkham Blackgate on the 3DS, I thought it was a fun little Metroidvania on the 3DS :(

Imbarkus

Listening to the Batman episode last week, I feel bad for liking Arkham Blackgate on the 3DS, I thought it was a fun little Metroidvania on the 3DS :(

PS3 version spruced up the map a bit, which was a problem on 3DS/Vita.

Never feel bad for liking a crummy game. Cherish your ability to see a coprolite as a precious jewel.

It's important in the Age of Arkham to have some throwbacks to the kinds of Batman games we played as kids: mean, hard, and bad. Blackgate doesn't fully qualify, it wasn't mean or hard.

I just noticed that micro-episode 46 covered Superman games? Missed it. Less material!

Imbarkus

I liked what they tried to do with the map, but it was hard knowing where you were sometimes. Feels like a huge oversight from the guys who worked on Metroid Prime

True, but I don't remember Prime having a lot of verticality. I think it turns out if you want to do a sidescrolling Metroidvania, you are beholden to lay everything out of one big 2D map for it to make sense.

For me, Blackgate turned out to be a game you could put down for a while, come back to... and have no idea where you were, where to go, or what to do. I should give it another go from the top some time.

GuyKazama

So Jeremy Parish has never played Ghostbusters on the Genesis? He didn't even play it to prep for the episode?

Time to cut him loose -- no coming back from that one. Arguably the best Ghostbusters game ever, and a milestone for (pre-Sonic) Genesis platformers. It was an early example of the Genesis setting itself apart from the competition.

krae_man

Loving the Bart's Nightmare episode. Whoo Wrestlenauts shoutout!

Oh man I loved Barts Nightmare as a kid and rented it all the time. I was able to beat it as a kid. Took hundreds of hours and dozens of rentals.

The key to survivin the overworld is getting a massive Z bar. What you do is get yourself one hit before death and you get in that "I'm about to wake up" state. Blow a bubble and touch a Z with the bubble on the far left of the screen. Then do the same for the right. Your bar will now stretch all the way across the screen.

The next thing you want to do is blow a bubble right before Skinner pops on screen. You can't blow bubbles while wearing the suit, but you can still control bubbles you've already blown. And since you are invincible while the suit is on, you can completed ignore everything going on and focus exclusively on collecting Z's

With Bartzilla, as long as you figure out what of your 8 attacks will kill the jet fighters, you're set. As long as you kill every one of the jets before they fire their missile at you you only need to kill a fraction of everything else to survive.

The bloodstreem level can get frustrating since the grenade throwers are instant death.

The Indiana Bart level is just straight trial and error memorization. I went to the book store with a pen and paper and wrote down the solution from one of the cheat code magazines that existed back then. It's just straight memorization.

On the first Itchy and Scratchy page, there's an exploit to beat them in the kitchen. There's a spot you can stand and kill them the second they appear on screen and the knife they throw always goes over your head and doesn't kill you.

Also the developer who made this game, the one who quit video games because making it was his own personal nightmare made my favorite pre owning my first console(SNES) game: Alley Cat.
cET7Pat.gif

It was originally made for Atari 8 bit computers, but was ported to IBM PC's a year later and that's where I played it, on my grandpa's 286.

Dylan

So Jeremy Parish has never played Ghostbusters on the Genesis? He didn't even play it to prep for the episode?

Time to cut him loose -- no coming back from that one. Arguably the best Ghostbusters game ever, and a milestone for (pre-Sonic) Genesis platformers. It was an early example of the Genesis setting itself apart from the competition.

Haha, someone should keep a running list of all the arbitrary lines Retronauts has crossed to make listeners give up.

(Even if they are clearly joking, of course : )

Shaneus

Also the developer who made this game, the one who quit video games because making it was his own personal nightmare made my favorite pre owning my first console(SNES) game: Alley Cat.
Was just reading that he died from cystic fibrosis at the age of 37 :(

LayLa

Good choice, Kim's YT documentary stuff about the 80s computer scene is really well made and fills a big gap in the Retronauts knowledge base. Funnily enough I was idly thinking the other week that a Retronauts UK podcast with Kim and Guru Larry would be fun.

Suzzopher

Good choice, Kim's YT documentary stuff about the 80s computer scene is really well made and fills a big gap in the Retronauts knowledge base. Funnily enough I was idly thinking the other week that a Retronauts UK podcast with Kim and Guru Larry would be fun.

I asked Jeremy about doing a UK version. With Kim on-board hopefully they can.

Imbarkus

Finished up the Ghostbusters episode. Good stuff, I had no idea J. Michael Straczinski was showrunner on The Real Ghostbusters, it explains a lot. I went looking for a box set of the series but it's had a shoddy release history. There a Time Life set from ten years ago that's out of print and fetching $500 on Amazon, or a bunch of individual discs (and a partial box of the first five of them), which altogether don't comprise every episode, and have some quality issues. Bummer.

Was Ghostbusters the very first successful movie-licensed game? Did you guys mention that eight years ago? I feel like you did.

It was such a weird game. I had it on C-64, and was really surprised when I saw the AVGN episode on the NES version, I was shocked to find they added extra gameplay sections to the worst part of the game they could have chosen. Because the game was, for me, a really long exercise in slowly catching ghosts for like 45 minutes so you could have three chances to demonstrate perfect timing and sneak at least two guys past that giant Stay Puft marshmallow man jumping back and forth. Fail, game over, feel free to give up another hour for one opportunity to practice/attempt this critical action scene again. Once I beat it I never bothered again, I would mostly just load it up for the song and hit the Space Bar to make it yell "Ghostbusters" at the proper timing for the chorus.

It was also quite a real economic simulator in that if you buy the fancy sports car it will leave you bereft of money you need to buy other, important things, ruining you. If I remember correctly, you could start a new game from an existing save, but that just meant less than the money you started with in a new game. The sports car was always well out of reach. Good lesson for kids!

Finished up the Ghostbusters episode. Good stuff, I had no idea J. Michael Straczinski was showrunner on The Real Ghostbusters, it explains a lot. I went looking for a box set of the series but it's had a shoddy release history. There a Time Life set from ten years ago that's out of print and fetching $500 on Amazon, or a bunch of individual discs (and a partial box of the first five of them), which altogether don't comprise every episode, and have some quality issues. Bummer.

I'm pretty sure The Real Ghostbusters is on Netflix now.

LayLa

Was Ghostbusters the very first successful movie-licensed game? Did you guys mention that eight years ago? I feel like you did.

Don't know about successful but there were several games on the Atari 2600 in 1982 that were based on movies e.g. Raiders of the Lost Ark, Stars Wars and infamously of course ET. And yes there was a port of the Ghostbusters game on the Atari by Activision and it was the version that I grew up with. A decent effort in hindsight given the limitations of the system but it's not in any way a good game.

ToastyFrog

I feel like Atari's Star Wars arcade game was the first movie-licensed mega-hit. That game was everywhere, and everyone loved it. Tron hit around the same time and did pretty well for itself, too. And I suppose you could make a case that Popeye was tied to the Altman movie if you REALLY want to, but that's kind of a stretch.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I feel like Atari's Star Wars arcade game was the first movie-licensed mega-hit. That game was everywhere, and everyone loved it. Tron hit around the same time and did pretty well for itself, too. And I suppose you could make a case that Popeye was tied to the Altman movie if you REALLY want to, but that's kind of a stretch.

The timing makes some sort of sense. Goldeneye the video game was also two years after the movie after all.

I don't think Nintendo would have bothered with the license at all if not for the movie if nothing else.

Imbarkus

Don't know about successful but there were several games on the Atari 2600 in 1982 that were based on movies e.g. Raiders of the Lost Ark, Stars Wars and infamously of course ET. And yes there was a port of the Ghostbusters game on the Atari by Activision and it was the version that I grew up with. A decent effort in hindsight given the limitations of the system but it's not in any way a good game.

I wonder how successful Raider of the Lost Ark was? I loved the game but it was really very obscure, as much a progenitor of the Swordquest series (I'm mid-episode on that) as anything else, I'd say. It coming out the same year E.T. became a legend for not succeeding might have tarnished its reputation...

Star Wars arcade was 83, along with Popeye and Death Star Battle on 2600. So, yeah, I forgot about a lot of earlier licensed movie games, even successful ones. Maybe Ghostbusters is the first successful license movie computer game?

It's kind of amazing to me how much the added schedule and Retronauts East have diversified the podcast's output. Show seems like it's suddenly covering a lot of stuff off the sidewalk which is really nice -- we're hitting a bunch of stuff I have some nostalgia for that I don't see covered very often, which is cool.

I was sad Bob couldn't be on the Radio podcast with the Shovel Knight soundtrack, it sounds like his perspective would've been a bit different given the liner notes.

Also, one question for the guys: is the ad format in the episode dictated by the network? The super big block in the middle is kind of weird.

ToastyFrog

It's kind of amazing to me how much the added schedule and Retronauts East have diversified the podcast's output. Show seems like it's suddenly covering a lot of stuff off the sidewalk which is really nice -- we're hitting a bunch of stuff I have some nostalgia for that I don't see covered very often, which is cool.

I was sad Bob couldn't be on the Radio podcast with the Shovel Knight soundtrack, it sounds like his perspective would've been a bit different given the liner notes.

Also, one question for the guys: is the ad format in the episode dictated by the network? The super big block in the middle is kind of weird.

The ad format, content, number of ads, advertiser, all of that is determined by PC1. All we have say in is order and actual text/tone of the live reads. I'm not a fan of the giant block, but it's how they require we handle it. We try offloading one or two to the beginning of the show, though I DEFINITELY don't want a giant block at the beginning.

We didn't know how ads would work at the time of our last recording session, but this time I'm building three breaks into my shows to make the commercials feel more natural (and so there won't be a big block of them in the middle).

Of course, it's only $3 a month for ad-free Retronauts... ;)

Dylan

We didn't know how ads would work at the time of our last recording session, but this time I'm building three breaks into my shows to make the commercials feel more natural (and so there won't be a big block of them in the middle).

How much does it cost to take out an ad?

Like, say I wanted to inject 80 seconds of a pointless diatribe about my own twitter account into the upcoming Grog's Revenge episode. How many pesos, mang?

How much does it cost to take out an ad?

Like, say I wanted to inject 80 seconds of a pointless diatribe about my own twitter account into the upcoming Grog's Revenge episode. How many pesos, mang?

If you're serious, we don't actually talk to advertisers ourself; PodcastOne is our middleman for stuff like that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

It is kinda hilarious how many wrasslin ads run on Retronauts though.

I've liked the ad reads by you guys though.

.JayZii

Banned
I really enjoyed the "Brototype" episode. I like hearing you all have a discussion on broader cultural and historical trends and their relationship to and influence on video games and other media. Those are always the discussions on the shows that I enjoy most anyway (as opposed to the more "and then, and then, and then" sort of history recap parts), so it was nice for it to just be a whole episode's focus.

Everyone also seems more energetic and engaged when the topic isn't so well-worn. It actually reminded me of my some of my favorite Retronauts Classic™ episodes like the survival horror one.

Top Bottom