• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retronauts Podcast Thread

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
I heard that as well, it sounded like you were announcing over a stadium speaker.
Ah, ok, I'll have to fix that. I though I had fixed it all. The whole thing was recorded on two separate streams in separate apps that had the slightest fraction of a second's speed difference, so the entire 2 hour episode required me to constantly resync the audio tracks. Thankfully I have a proper multitrack sound board now, so that'll never happen again.

krae_man

I never really played any of those games minus the ones that were on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. I played Space Harrier and Flicky for a bit.

PillarEN

Listened to the latest music episode yesterday. God damn Jeremy. Knocking it out of the park. Funny thing about the Game Boy Camera. I never owned the "game" but got to fiddle around with it as a kid since my friend had it and his dad was driving us to our hockey game in some random city. I was being really annoying with it and taking pictures of the dad. He proceeded to rip out the game from the Game Boy and that would be that.

I had no idea about the music though. I kept repeating that section of the podcast because I was stunned by how awesome and all over the place the music was.

ToastyFrog

I never really played any of those games minus the ones that were on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. I played Space Harrier and Flicky for a bit.

That's why I wanted to cover this stuff. A lot of it is really interesting, but SEGA rarely shines a light on much of its pre-Super Scaler stuff. It's pretty unknown and I wish we had easier access to it!

I am also pretty satisfied with the created-on-the-fly theory that the combination of the Gulf+Western selloff and the arrival of Yu Suzuki gave SEGA the freedom and talent to become an A-rank developer.

FN-2187

Looks like you got a episode topic handed to you on a silver platter:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352672

While I'd be happy to hear them revisit the topic, I recall Bob doing a really good episode covering all of the Disney Capcom NES games a couple of years ago.

Edit: I just realized this is being done by Digital Eclipse. So, yeah, it would be great to have an episode with Frank and/or Mike to talk about making the game and how difficult the licensing process and all that was.

krae_man

While I'd be happy to hear them revisit the topic, I recall Bob doing a really good episode covering all of the Disney Capcom NES games a couple of years ago.

Edit: I just realized this is being done by Digital Eclipse. So, yeah, it would be great to have an episode with Frank and/or Mike to talk about making the game and how difficult the licensing process and all that was.

Looks like 6 years ago. That episode is almost retro!

smisk

Love the music episodes! Don't really have an interest in buying game music on vinyl (though that Castlevania III release is looking tempting) but it's cool that someone is covering this stuff. And it turned me on to all the great SEGA stuff on Spotify.

.JayZii

Banned
I really enjoy the conversation between music in the new music episode. I don't know if that's always feasible, but a bit of a back and forth between songs is nice.

Rlan

Listening to the Sega Arcade episode now. Great!

One note: Flicky did come out on the Genesis, but never came out in Japan on the platform outside of download things. Came out on the SG-1000 though. The US versions kind of hard to find now, but the European one was pretty easy to get.

I get the idea that Flicky might have been really popular in Europe but not much else. Also, no mention that Flicky has since become a core element of the Sonic series as one of the animals you save (and the naming scheme for other animals like Ricky, Picky)

tumblr_nizr50YRPe1tu022ro1_500.png

Plus the game Sonic 3D Blast is entirely centered around Sonic collecting types of Flickies

tumblr_ojz19q2s4L1w1kerio4_500.gif
tumblr_o4ld6bV4yF1tu022ro2_500.png

To the point that the game is called Sonic 3D: Flickies Island in Europe. Which supports the "popular in Europe" theory.

.JayZii

Banned
Just finished the Sega arcade episode. It's interesting hearing the Retronauts East group getting a podcast chemistry going. Ben and Benj both sound a bit tentative still, but I'm sure they'll get into a more familiar groove without Jeremy boozing them up soon enough.

Benj always sounds like he's on the verge of saying something naughty, looks at Jeremy, and thinks better of it.

Shaneus

One note: Flicky did come out on the Genesis, but never came out in Japan on the platform outside of download things. Came out on the SG-1000 though. The US versions kind of hard to find now, but the European one was pretty easy to get.

I get the idea that Flicky might have been really popular in Europe but not much else. Also, no mention that Flicky has since become a core element of the Sonic series as one of the animals you save (and the naming scheme for other animals like Ricky, Picky)

Plus the game Sonic 3D Blast is entirely centered around Sonic collecting types of Flickies

To the point that the game is called Sonic 3D: Flickies Island in Europe. Which supports the "popular in Europe" theory.
Holy shit, I never drew the comparison between Flicky and Flickies Island. Mind fucking blown.

Edit: It's also worth noting that one of the Virtua Tennis games (I think 4? And maybe the one on Vita as well) has a very Flicky-like minigame:
tumblr_inline_nch7rqRonS1qgyv4z.png

krae_man

Loved the Celebrity video game episode guys.

I noticed you didn't mention a single Mary-Kate and Ashley game. Giving them their own episode are you?

I can't wait!

Sapiens

Pretty sure Flicky was on the wondermega disc or a game can in Japan.

An ok episode.

Any way, I really think sega based segments or episodes leave a lot to be desired. This was nothing more than reading through the system-16 archives and playing a mame rom for a few mins. Not a lot of meaningful discussions and lots of weird disbelief at flicky, which is a really fun game.

Some engaging discussion around sprite manipulation during the super scaled part.

Not up to the level I'm used to. More research into the matter before recording next time would help. Jeremy usually puts some good research into things, but with sega I guess we're lucky to at least not to get too much kholer-esque ridicule and vitriol.

Edit: Flicky was avail on wondermega collection and sega game can vol 1 in Japan.

FN-2187

An ok episode.

Any way, I really think sega based segments or episodes leave a lot to be desired. This was nothing more than reading through the system-16 archives and playing a mame rom for a few mins. Not a lot of meaningful discussions and lots of weird disbelief at flicky, which is a really fun game.

Some engaging discussion around sprite manipulation during the super scaled part.

Not up to the level I'm used to. More research into the matter before recording next time would help. Jeremy usually puts some good research into things, but with sega I guess we're lucky to at least not to get too much kholer-esque ridicule and vitriol.

Just listened to this episode. It seemed to me like Jeremy had done lots of research, but Benj had done none whatsoever, so it resulted in a lot of Jeremy describing games, with Benj making comments like "oh yeah, I kinda remember that", "oh yeah, I think I own that" instead of an actual discussion. Also, Jeremy would bring up some interesting information, and Benj would talk about a completely different game to change the subject. There was also some awkwardness with Jeremy trying to steer him away from making potentially offensive jokes/comments. It's only been two episodes, but it seems like the podcasting chemistry might not be there.

Meanwhile, I thought Ben made some interesting points about the technical aspects of some of the games and has good chemistry with Jeremy.

I also missed Bob's energy and jokes. He makes me legitimately laugh out loud at least once an episode.

Shaneus

Just listened to this episode. It seemed to me like Jeremy had done lots of research, but Benj had done none whatsoever, so it resulted in a lot of Jeremy describing games, with Benj making comments like "oh yeah, I kinda remember that", "oh yeah, I think I own that" instead of an actual discussion. Also, Jeremy would bring up some interesting information, and Benj would talk about a completely different game to change the subject. There was also some awkwardness with Jeremy trying to steer him away from making potentially offensive jokes/comments. It's only been two episodes, but it seems like the podcasting chemistry might not be there.

Meanwhile, I thought Ben made some interesting points about the technical aspects of some of the games and has good chemistry with Jeremy.

I also missed Bob's energy and jokes. He makes me legitimately laugh out loud at least once an episode.
Yeah, I think Benj needs a little more time to warm to the role, however I'm really enjoying Ben's insights because he seems really cluey about the historical sides of things. Pretty sure it was he that brought up the 2D Congo Bongo version that I had to look up (and looks super weird).

Also, the guys forgot an entry for the latest Patreon episode: C&C Music Factory Make My Video. Shame, it's probably more hilarious and weird than any of the others.

People don't always seem to appreciate what Bob brings to the table here! Like, the FF IV episode was great (like, really great, these single-game episodes have gotten better eah time) but it was still kinda sad that he had to leave in the middle. I haven't gotten to the Retronauts East ep yet (it's like three down in my podcast queue) but I'd expect it'll take a few tries to get the vibe as comfortable as Bob and Jeremy are at this point.

ToastyFrog

Bob's episodes always get more downloads than mine, so it looks like everyone but you NeoGAF folks sees the appeal.

The SEGA East episode was mostly rough because I was so overwhelmed with all the responsibilities involved in making this show a proper business that I didn't put together the notes until about a day before the show, which means no one had time to properly research and prepare. I'm already well into writing up the next episode's notes (recording in a week) and putting my planning onto a more fixed, regular production schedule... I feel confident in saying it was a one-time issue.

randomkid

I dunno you guys, I decided to click on today's Gintendo archive video for FF Adventure and within a couple minutes we got a Both Sides joke about hearing this Darklord character out, I wouldn't underestimate Jeremy when it comes to his contributions toward the color!

FN-2187

I dunno you guys, I decided to click on today's Gintendo archive video for FF Adventure and within a couple minutes we got a Both Sides joke about hearing this Darklord character out, I wouldn't underestimate Jeremy when it comes to his contributions toward the color!

Oh yeah, Jeremy is funny for sure. I have that FFA stream on right now as I work. He just made a reference to an environment being like a Britney Spears concert because it is so toxic. That's funny on at least two levels.

Overtech

Neo Member
Sorry, but could someone catch me up on the changes? I only download Retronauts when I see a game that I'm interested in being discussed. Last one was FFIV and the show sounded like it always did aside from Bob leaving halfway.

Suzzopher

Enjoyed the celebrity episode.

I enjoyed Apocalypse back in the day. It was a fun twin stick shooter. It doesn't hold up well today, but Neversoft did some great things on PlayStation.

If you haven't played this Bob or Jeremy, check it out, it's a competent platform game that uses the David Beckham license in a wonderfully cheery way.
0571.jpg

ToastyFrog

I always wanted to give that one a play but could never find a reasonably priced copy that I could be sure wasn't pirated.

Suzzopher

I always wanted to give that one a play but could never find a reasonably priced copy that I could be sure wasn't pirated.

I'll see if I can find my copy, I think it's at my mum's, if so I can send it to you of you like?

Oh yeah I was thinking of the most obscure celebrity game I have played and it has to be The Thompson Twins Adventure! Which was an adventure game based on The Thompson Twins single Doctor Doctor.

The weirdest thing about it wasn't that it came free with CVG magazine but it came on something called flexidisc, which you would then record to cassette to play on either the Speccy or the C64. I played it on the Speccy so I'd imagine the C64 version was likely better.

It wasn't a bad game either.

womp

That would be cool — I could do a Micro episode on it, or a stream, or something.

It's a great little game Jeremy. Reminds me of Super Mario World with a soccer ball attack.

Very polished and super playable. You may want to consider a 'lesser known classics' episode sometime for GB/GBA or other systems where you can lump a bunch of games such as this into for discussion.

ToastyFrog

No joke, our planning doc has enough episode ideas to get us pretty much to the end of 2018 at the moment. And I keep thinking of more. I guess I'll add this to the pile-up…

mattp

i have the most important of important questions

why doesn't jeremy have an accent if he grew up in texas
is he even from texas? how deep does this go?

ToastyFrog

i have the most important of important questions

why doesn't jeremy have an accent if he grew up in texas
is he even from texas? how deep does this go?

I was insulated by parents and grandparents who had lived their whole lives in Michigan. They showed me a different path.

Ultima_5

just now listening to the celebrity games episode and i just wanted to say how much i love the cross over episodes with lasertime. chris is a great guess and brings a lot of fun energy to the show. great episode!

Tiktaalik

Funny that someone in the Celebrity Game episode mentioned something with Chuck Norris in their "Dream Game" as he does actually have a game. Chuck Norris Superkicks. Maybe I missed it but I don't think it was mentioned in the episode?

I've played it for Colecovision.

Having gone through both Retronauts East episodes now (Apple II and Sega arcade) I am hopeful these will continue to spotlight all this stuff that was central in my own childhood but that never used to show up on Retronauts, heh.

bigkrev

Weird request: can someone time stamp the live read ads in the Castlevania episode? They aren't in the early feed, and I'm curious to at least hear them once!

.JayZii

Banned
It was nice to hear the crew finally discuss some Castlevania games. Finally filled in that blind spot.
I kid because I love. Please no sassy reply, Bob. I couldn't take it.
I did like hearing the gang's take on the portables with cooler heads and more time since their releases. I think the oldest episodes of Retronauts were still in that mindset Jeremy described in this episode where each new game's release was making reviewers and fans reevaluate the older handheld games in turn. This felt like a nice comprehensive take of that whole decade of games and where they stand now.

Shane is always so hyped up; bringing back that old school 1Up podcast energy. I feel like Shane's not-so-secret true motive whenever he comes on is to discredit Bob's gamer cred in some way.
Weird request: can someone time stamp the live read ads in the Castlevania episode? They aren't in the early feed, and I'm curious to at least hear them once!
I don't have the time stamps, but they're very Jeremy Parish flavored advertisements. I liked the Casper one.

Top Bottom