• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retronauts Podcast Thread

Skeletos311

I liked the Yoshi episode. It really brought back memories of when SMW was coming out and Yoshi was kind of a big deal. At least to me he was. I thought Yoshi was the coolest thing ever. I remember I would draw Yoshi over and over all over my homework.

mattp

UnxEg8F.jpg

official ads. retronauts hitting the bigtime

And yet, somehow, a Retronauts Micro went up on the Patreon feed today...

In my kids Tae Kwon Do class when anyone does something amazing, the whole class lines up, points both fingers gun style at the recipient, and shouts "You're awesome!"

I just did that at my computer screen in your honor.

Retronauts makes my limited time to game a little more bearable, not to mention my job. You've even inspired me to play FFIV again, though I'm sticking with the DS version to see what's different.

Just read about Retronauts joining PodcastOne. I think it's a good thing but could it change anything about the show?

The bummer is that all the past episodes are going to be behind a paywall:

Also, PodCastOne places back catalog episodes of their shows behind a paywall. That’s not how we’ve traditionally operated, so we’ve asked them to make the full back catalog free for a couple of months so listeners aren’t suddenly cut off from our older episodes. Those will eventually be pay-gated as is our host’s standard policy, but we’d like to ease into that and give you advance warning.

So, looks like this weekend I'm going to have to get an archive going like I did with 1-100 on the 1UP days.

daegan

Just read about Retronauts joining PodcastOne. I think it's a good thing but could it change anything about the show?

My only concern is with older episodes going behind a paywall. I get that they did manage to get them to keep them free for a period of time (multiple months, going by the blog post) but it feels somewhat counter to the spirit/goals of the podcast to have episodes on certain topics not easily referenced by new fans or someone who is just taking a deep dive on a specific subject they covered. That said, it's not like these episodes are getting 1UP'd, and presumably if anything happens to PodcastOne or, god forbid, they bail out of Retronauts I assume the episodes would become easily accessible freely again somewhere.

randomkid

yeah putting old episodes behind a paywall makes no sense for a show like retronauts. they really need to find a way to work around that policy. i haven't gotten around to downloading plenty of episodes for games i plan to play because the show is sort of supposed to be timeless. don't make me rush through parodius dangit.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
They said in their post they'd give it a few months, let the fans grab 'em. In the end, no different from the gigs and gigs on a hard drive I have of the previous runs' episodes.

1st world problem: never will have the time to relisten to the whole thing I think!
2nd 1st world problem: was some news previously, still hoping that DVD is underway?

Glad to see you'll have sales guys lining up some dollars, let you keep making the show. Good luck!

JCG

I love the podcast, but not sure I'll bother with the new paywall when the time comes. Hope it works out for them though.

mattp

thats a bummer. like when i went to download an older episode of "how did this get made" and realized all the old episodes were behind some new paywall

but hey, if this helps keep the podcast going it's fine. realistically, i'm rarely going to go back and listen to old episodes, since i've been listening since day one and heard them all

FN-2187

As someone who has been listening to Retronauts since episode one on 1up, I would just like to say that I could not care less about having to deal with ads and an easily avoidable paywall. I am all in favour of whatever incredibly minor inconvenience is necessary for Jeremy to make this his full-time job. I really admire how much of his life and career have been devoted to something as unprofitable as documenting and commenting on video game history. Someone as intelligent, articulate and well-liked as Jeremy could have easily moved on to the developer/publisher side of the industry and made a very good living. Instead, he has followed his passion and offered up countless hours of entertainment for free to the ungrateful and overly critical people of the internet. So anyone complaining, please just think before you speak and get some perspective.

Bob’s cool too.

TheWraith

As someone who has been listening to Retronauts since episode one on 1up, I would just like to say that I could not care less about having to deal with ads and an easily avoidable paywall. I am all in favour of whatever incredibly minor inconvenience is necessary for Jeremy to make this his full-time job. I really admire how much of his life and career have been devoted to something as unprofitable as documenting and commenting on video game history. Someone as intelligent, articulate and well-liked as Jeremy could have easily moved on to the developer/publisher side of the industry and made a very good living. Instead, he has followed his passion and offered up countless hours of entertainment for free to the ungrateful and overly critical people of the internet. So anyone complaining, please just think before you speak and get some perspective.

Bob’s cool too.

I second this 100% !

mattp

Bob’s cool too.

yep, pretty much this

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Aww, thanks. And thanks for not overlooking Bob, who is completely essential to all of this even if at the moment he's not as visibly involved as I am due to his having, you know, a real job. Which is why our primary goal this year is to make the show/site profitable enough for it to support both of us full-time. Bob's backed me as I take the first step, and now I need to return the favor... which means, yeah, ads, because that's the reality of things. But no compromises to the show or site's quality.

Dylan

From my perspective as a long-time audience member, my perception has been that Bob was the guy who kept Retronauts alive during the times when it might have otherwise died. So yeah, super mega thanks to Bob!

Bob’s cool too.

A backhanded compliment is technically still a compliment, so I'll take it!

Jarnet87

The Final Fantasy deep dives have been good listens so far. I hope we get to Final Fantasy 9, don't think it was ever talked about much on either Retronauts series, and Tactics deserves it own episode!

Tadale

Is anyone else having trouble pulling the most recent episode down on iTunes? Looking forward to hearing about FFIV.

The transition to the new feed may take a little bit of time to wrap up. Right now it seems that people using iTunes can access it, though you may need to unsubscribe/resubscribe to get things working again.

If you're not using iTunes and can't download the file, can you tell me what podcast app/program you're using? Contrary to what a lot of people out there think, iTunes isn't a podcast host and instead points users towards a file hosted elsewhere. I'm currently using Downcast for my podcast player and it's still pulling from the old Libsyn feed—meaning Yoshi games is still the newest episode.

The transition to the new feed may take a little bit of time to wrap up. Right now it seems that people using iTunes can access it, though you may need to unsubscribe/resubscribe to get things working again.

If you're not using iTunes and can't download the file, can you tell me what podcast app/program you're using? Contrary to what a lot of people out there think, iTunes isn't a podcast host and instead points users towards a file hosted elsewhere. I'm currently using Downcast for my podcast player and it's still pulling from the old Libsyn feed—meaning Yoshi games is still the newest episode.

I'm also using Downcast.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
From my perspective as a long-time audience member, my perception has been that Bob was the guy who kept Retronauts alive during the times when it might have otherwise died. So yeah, super mega thanks to Bob!
This is correct. He also talked me out of quitting the show about a year ago when the stress of work, family concerns, and sinking a few dozens hours a month into this show had me suffocatingly depressed, filled with palpable self-loathing, and about one setback away from throwing myself off a bridge. Which, in turn, started things rolling for the move to making Retronauts a proper media property. So yeah, all of this is HIS fault.

I just watched the Urban Champion vid. Even though the game is garbage, I really appreciate Jeremy's approach to providing context on every piece of content he creates. He placed the game in context of both the past (Game & Watch) and present/future (1-2 Switch). I actually had no idea about the connection to the LCD boxing game, and I have spent a lot of time mulling over the legacy of the black box lineup. Great stuff.

.JayZii

Banned
Loved the Final Fantasy IV episode. Thanks to Kohler for busting out his hot, back-of-the-magazine leveling tips.

I really need to pick up the PSP version at some point. After not having played IV for a long time, the DS version was the one I played again a few years ago. All I could think throughout was, "Wow, I remember this being a lot easier. I somehow got worse at playing JRPGs?".

Vic_Viper

Put all the old retronauts podcasts in my iTunes library to listen to at work on my phone. But the way they are sorted on my phone is completely random and extremely annoying. Does anyone have a list I can use to rename them with episode numbers and titles? I'm at work now so I couldn't find one easily atm but will look when I get home. Was hopeing that someone else here already had one.

Also is there a place to get all the old 1up Show and the other shows podcasts? Would like to be able to download them all at once if at all possible. I know when 1up was closing people had put some torrents together but it's been so long now that it's not as easy to find. Wish I had saved them at the time.

Put all the old retronauts podcasts in my iTunes library to listen to at work on my phone. But the way they are sorted on my phone is completely random and extremely annoying. Does anyone have a list I can use to rename them with episode numbers and titles? I'm at work now so I couldn't find one easily atm but will look when I get home. Was hopeing that someone else here already had one.

Also is there a place to get all the old 1up Show and the other shows podcasts? Would like to be able to download them all at once if at all possible. I know when 1up was closing people had put some torrents together but it's been so long now that it's not as easy to find. Wish I had saved them at the time.

Soundcloud has a complete chronological listing of our post-1UP episodes, and you can find all of our 1UP episodes on archive.org.

Vic_Viper

Soundcloud has a complete chronological listing of our post-1UP episodes, and you can find all of our 1UP episodes on archive.org.

Thank you!

For some reason the old Retronauts episodes on iTunes don't download even though they are still available on the app.

Going back through these old episodes bring back so many good memories. 1up was by far the best place to go during its time, and still rivals almost every other site to this day. Giantbomb is the only other site that can even compare but it's still not the same :(

I'm getting tired of music episodes. They aren't informative/interesting in the same way traditional episodes are.

I still love the show...

Top Bottom