• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

skit_data

It looks like a lot of people on here ‘got gud’ at this game and unfortunately, I don’t appear to be one of them haha. I keep getting to the biome 3 boss and croaking it on the 3rd stage. I usually get there with a fairly decent integrity increase and a level 12 hollowseeker. Do any of you guys have any tips on what state I should be in by the biome 3 boss to make it a bit easier - it takes me ages to get the life bar down and I reckon I am fighting the boss for around 10 minutes before I’m pushing up the daises.
City Of Angels Showtime GIF by Penny Dreadful: City of Angels
Make sure you got a Hollowseeker with the Serrated Projectiles trait, the Shrapnel and Retarget ones are fairly useless on Nemesis

Last edited:

Markio128

Make sure you got a Hollowseeker with the Serrated Projectiles trait, the Shrapnel and Retarget ones are fairly useless on Nemesis
Cheers, I’ll keep an eye out for that trait - I think I may have had the shrapnel one when I last tried and whilst it seemed to be making easy enough work of the enemies leading up to the boss, I may have well used a tickling stick on him. I just want to finish act 1 - 22 hours and still no luck! Regardless, I’m still having fun and I’m certainly getting my monies worth.

Last edited:

tommib

It looks like a lot of people on here ‘got gud’ at this game and unfortunately, I don’t appear to be one of them haha. I keep getting to the biome 3 boss and croaking it on the 3rd stage. I usually get there with a fairly decent integrity increase and a level 12 hollowseeker. Do any of you guys have any tips on what state I should be in by the biome 3 boss to make it a bit easier - it takes me ages to get the life bar down and I reckon I am fighting the boss for around 10 minutes before I’m pushing up the daises.
City Of Angels Showtime GIF by Penny Dreadful: City of Angels
Curiously I don’t find Nemesis that bad. The whole level is the real boss.

Keep using the hook between platforms for those I-frames and get as close to the boss as much as possible then strafe let and right. Distract him a little bit by moving between platforms and then get close to him again. The closer you are the more damage you do.

skit_data

Cheers, I’ll keep an eye out for that trait - I think I may have had the shrapnel one when I last tried and whilst it seemed to be making easy enough work of the enemies leading up to the boss, I may have well used a tickling stick on him. I just want to finish act 1 - 22 hours and still no luck! Regardless, I’m still having fun and I’m certainly getting my monies worth.
Don’t give up, getting the right traits and artifacts makes all the difference! I had my worst and most demoralizing death I’ve experienced on Nemesis:

but the next time I beat him pretty much flawlessly using a better Hollowseeker

Markio128

Curiously I don’t find Nemesis that bad. The whole level is the real boss.

Keep using the hook between platforms for those I-frames and get as close to the boss as much as possible then strafe let and right. Distract him a little bit by moving between platforms and then get close to him again. The closer you are the more damage you do.
Don’t give up, getting the right traits and artifacts makes all the difference! I had my worst and most demoralizing death I’ve experienced on Nemesis:

but the next time I beat him pretty much flawlessly using a better Hollowseeker

skit_data skit_data - mate, how close were you in that video?! Damn, that was harsh. The thing is, I know how much of a trial it is to get there in the first place, so I would have probably cried like a little girl haha.

tommib tommib - I think I need to stop panicking when I get to the boss. It’s weird because I beat the previous two only after a couple of tries. I’m actually itching to give it a shot soon…..

skit_data

skit_data skit_data - mate, how close were you in that video?! Damn, that was harsh. The thing is, I know how much of a trial it is to get there in the first place, so I would have probably cried like a little girl haha.
I think the projectile speed of the alt fire was sliiiiightly slower than the regular attacks, leading to me dying just before the boss death animation was played xD

I was fuming for about an hour, but then I was like ”I’m gonna beat this mofus ass” and fueles by pure rage I went through biome 1,2 and 3 and collected the craziest artifacts I’ve found since. RNG can be a blessing and a curse!

Markio128

I think the projectile speed of the alt fire was sliiiiightly slower than the regular attacks, leading to me dying just before the boss death animation was played xD

I was fuming for about an hour, but then I was like ”I’m gonna beat this mofus ass” and fueles by pure rage I went through biome 1,2 and 3 and collected the craziest artifacts I’ve found since. RNG can be a blessing and a curse!
I think I may need to try that pure rage tactic - sounds good haha

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
So uh ... I just got the "secret" ending and no extra trophy popped. Is there supposed to be something else? I skipped the credits... Shouldn't have done that. Must be a bug
Face Palm GIF
After the credits the trophy for act three should pop. I skipped the credits all the time after i watched them the first time and i still got the trophy.
Seems bugged. Try to play through it again. Once you obtained the secret ending it will always be the secret ending at the end. Maybe it triggers next time!

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
After the credits the trophy for act three should pop. I skipped the credits all the time after i watched them the first time and i still got the trophy.
Seems bugged. Try to play through it again. Once you obtained the secret ending it will always be the secret ending at the end. Maybe it triggers next time!
Still need to complete the survey for the abyssal depths anyway 💯

So... I feel like a lot of questions are kinda unanswered. Anyone have a good video that explains whatever mythos is playing out, what each character represents in Greek mythology, and how it relates to the moon/cycles?

Used-ID

For nemesis I think I used the pistol with homing rounds and lots of platform switching. Something that homes in on him makes it easier since you don't have to really aim and can concentrate on dodging / platform switching. A shield item / adrenaline item also helps.

FrankWza

tommib tommib - I think I need to stop panicking when I get to the boss. It’s weird because I beat the previous two only after a couple of tries. I’m actually itching to give it a shot soon…..
Nemesis is harder because you know if you die you have to replay a good amount of that level and the room before the boss with the mini bosses and you basically have to relevel and go through 2 biomes in case you run into a bad situation with drones and a mini boss and take some damage.

skit_data

Just finished Act 2, was very very overpowered in the last biome. Interesting ending, the story is vague but with some imagination it’s easy to see why Selene ended up where she did. Guilt and madness is my interpretation of what is going on in the game.

Still watching the credits now, I heard of this Act 3 business so I guess I’ll see what that consists of

Last edited:

skit_data

I love this NG+! I love this game!

The sense of mastery of the game is unparalleled! In the Souls-games/Bloodborne there is this sense of ”Yeah I can stomp pretty much anything now” but its mostly down to character lvl and weapons.

This is completely different. I can stomp anything because I’ve gotten so much better at the game!

Now I’m off to find the Sun fragments and hopefully the platinum (somehow already collected the infamous scout log 9).

This game might not win any GOTY awards or appeal to most people but I’m convinced that by the end of this gen Returnal will stand proud among the most groundbreaking titles. I look forward to people discovering this game and falling in love with it in the coming years.

This will be a slow burner that cements Sonys effort to push the limits not only in the narrative driven AAA-space, but among the more hardcore crowd as well. This will also cement Housemarque as a competent developer with capacity to deliver a big title (aside from a couple of crashes/bugs). I’m really looking forward to seeing their next game, they have quickly become one of my favorites.

Stuck on biome 2 forever. I think my issue is clearing out biome 1 (except the boss fight) before moving on. Inevitably I make a stupid fuck up and lose my astronaut or just die. If I jump straight to the shortcut after getting some decent artifacts am I gonna be under leveled? Also is there a shortcut to the second boss? At least in biome 1 the boss location randomizes. Do I have to climb that stupid mountain every time?

Entroyp

Stuck on biome 2 forever. I think my issue is clearing out biome 1 (except the boss fight) before moving on. Inevitably I make a stupid fuck up and lose my astronaut or just die. If I jump straight to the shortcut after getting some decent artifacts am I gonna be under leveled? Also is there a shortcut to the second boss? At least in biome 1 the boss location randomizes. Do I have to climb that stupid mountain every time?
There’s a shorcut at the entrance to the mountain. However, even if you defeat Ixion I fear Biome 3 will kick your ass if you don’t take your time to power up Selene.

Entroyp

The sense of mastery of the game is unparalleled! In the Souls-games/Bloodborne there is this sense of ”Yeah I can stomp pretty much anything now” but its mostly down to character lvl and weapons.

This is completely different. I can stomp anything because I’ve gotten so much better at the game!

Now I’m off to find the Sun fragments and hopefully the platinum (somehow already collected the infamous scout log 9).

This game might not win any GOTY awards or appeal to most people but I’m convinced that by the end of this gen Returnal will stand proud among the most groundbreaking titles. I look forward to people discovering this game and falling in love with it in the coming years.

This will be a slow burner that cements Sonys effort to push the limits not only in the narrative driven AAA-space, but among the more hardcore crowd as well. This will also cement Housemarque as a competent developer with capacity to deliver a big title (aside from a couple of crashes/bugs). I’m really looking forward to seeing their next game, they have quickly become one of my favorites.

This is exactly how I feel. Returnal is the most memorable game I’ve played in a long long time.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Weapons and perks that fit your playstyle are more important than proficiency level or quantity.

Last edited:
i'm currently at Biome 3 and I'm having a bit of an up-and-down relationship with it. The thought of running through Biomes 1 and 2 tonight, just to be able to stay alive in Biome 3 feels like such a slog... yet when I do play it, I'm reminded how satisfying it is. I think, the further I get, the less inclined I'll be to play, and grind through the earlier biomes.

tommib

i'm currently at Biome 3 and I'm having a bit of an up-and-down relationship with it. The thought of running through Biomes 1 and 2 tonight, just to be able to stay alive in Biome 3 feels like such a slog... yet when I do play it, I'm reminded how satisfying it is. I think, the further I get, the less inclined I'll be to play, and grind through the earlier biomes.
All of that will pass when you reach world 4. ;)

Con-Z-epT

Stay with the game!

At some point fighting through the biomes gets second nature and you will be so familiar with the game that you'll just blast through it.
There is also a twist to the progression after the third biome. But you should see for your self.

Keep going!

Stay with the game!

At some point fighting through the biomes gets second nature and you will be so familiar with the game that you'll just blast through it.
There is also a twist to the progression after the third biome. But you should see for your self.

Keep going!
I get you. I can pretty much blow through Biome 1 and 2 no problems. It's more the time it takes to get back to where I was. I'll keep going though...

Con-Z-epT

I get you. I can pretty much blow through Biome 1 and 2 no problems. It's more the time it takes to get back to where I was. I'll keep going though...
Sometimes you get a powerful weapon early on and than you can skip the second biome with a chance to beat biome 3.

Once you beat the third you will definitely feel motivated to keep going.

Markio128

For anybody that has been aware of my biome 3 plight, you can rest easy now that I have just beat Nemesis with a slither of health (literally a paper’s width) left. 25 hours that took me! Only another 3 biomes to go………. Still, I haven’t felt such relief and elation from a gaming moment in a very long time. I ended up building my integrity until I got the trophy for maxing it out (I think) and using the rocket launcher weapon at level 12.
Season 2 Intro GIF by Paramount+

I think Returnal is this generation’s bloodborne. Just fantastically designed masterpiece....in retrospect im not sure I agree with those that want saves.

ive only beaten the game - what is there to do in NG+?

tommib

I think Returnal is this generation’s bloodborne. Just fantastically designed masterpiece....in retrospect im not sure I agree with those that want saves.

ive only beaten the game - what is there to do in NG+?
Yeah I was up for the saves and now I don’t see it needed. The game was clearly designed to not have saves and to be a 1-coin arcade experience.

Hey, at least we beat it before it. ;)

Getting closer to the platinum… Any day now, if the gods of randomization help me.

tommib

For anybody that has been aware of my biome 3 plight, you can rest easy now that I have just beat Nemesis with a slither of health (literally a paper’s width) left. 25 hours that took me! Only another 3 biomes to go………. Still, I haven’t felt such relief and elation from a gaming moment in a very long time. I ended up building my integrity until I got the trophy for maxing it out (I think) and using the rocket launcher weapon at level 12.
Congrats, the worst is now behind you. You got this.

fallingdove

Nice!

TAS

Finally beat the game yesterday. :messenger_beaming: At one point I didn't think I ever would lol. I almost quit a week ago when my PS5 crashed on Biome 5 during an incredible run. I damn near lost my mind but I'm too stubborn to acquiesce to defeat. I also switched my weapon of choice from the Hollowseeker to the Thermogenic Launcher. With Full Auto, Replicating Hits, Enlarged Chamber, etc, I cut through enemies like a hot knife through butter. I actually felt too overpowered by the end. It was a wild and psychologically intense ride. Overall I give the game a 95 and my GOTY. :messenger_clapping:

tommib

It’s in biome 6. It spawns in a room that has giant broken pillars and has 2 on each side that are leaning and you have to get to the plateau closest to the door
I got the trophy survey for world 6 so I'm missing 2, 3 and 5. One weird thing is that I got the Abyss survey trophy after finishing the challenge room, automatically. Are challenge rooms related to the survey trophies?

Bartski

Gold Member
I got the trophy survey for world 6 so I'm missing 2, 3 and 5. One weird thing is that I got the Abyss survey trophy after finishing the challenge room, automatically. Are challenge rooms related to the survey trophies?
according to the PS activity cards they are but I never heard anyone confirm that till now

FrankWza

Oh never mind. I saw 17 highlighted. That one is in biome 6

kyoji

adriana chechik still at it on returnal XD lol, shes hanging in there this is like her 10th random stream with it.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The only problem or questions I have with this?
Why was the mother pregnant?
Why was the astronaut suit old style?(on the bridge)
Yeah, so many unanswered questions. Found this on Reddit:
"In short, we played as Selene (the child seen in the car) whose mom (Theia) was pregnant with a son (Helios, son of Theia in mythology as well). From the crash, Theia loses her son (Helios Abandoned) and is paralyzed (the wheelchair that we see in a house segment and secret ending). Also, in the secret ending, the monster thing sitting on the wheelchair does seem to have a pregnant stomach."

If Selene is now in her late 40's/early 50's - maybe the astronaut suit is from that era? The song Don't Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult is from 1976 and the car they are driving is also an old vehicle.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Yeah, so many unanswered questions. Found this on Reddit:
"In short, we played as Selene (the child seen in the car) whose mom (Theia) was pregnant with a son (Helios, son of Theia in mythology as well). From the crash, Theia loses her son (Helios Abandoned) and is paralyzed (the wheelchair that we see in a house segment and secret ending). Also, in the secret ending, the monster thing sitting on the wheelchair does seem to have a pregnant stomach."

If Selene is now in her late 40's/early 50's - maybe the astronaut suit is from that era? The song Don't Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult is from 1976 and the car they are driving is also an old vehicle.
That’s more like it.
Which could also mean 2 timelines or stories I guess? Each of the first 3 biomes is reimagined as later so the ruins has has grown over with plants. The wastes has frozen over and the citadel is now submerged in an ocean. Theia, through her connection with atropos, puts herself on the bridge to cause Selene the same fate as hers.
Which is fucked up. I don’t know. Maybe Housemarque will make an official explanation?

FrankWza

I hope we'll get an expansion with more details. IMO they don't have to explain everything - that's part of the mystery in Returnal.
That would be cool. I don’t want everything explained either but there’s a piece missing that makes it really hard to interpret. Maybe it’s just a really complicated mix of real and in her head? Next attempt at getting audio log 9 I’m going to listen to all the audios again.

Top Bottom