• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

2AdEPT

I thought this was necessary when I first started but after finishing it I sorta think they shouldn’t.
It doesnt need a save checpoint system but it does need less crashes or wasys to back up your progress in crash situations.

Finally got the secret ending after a lot of screwing around in biome 6. Holy mother of god that demi boss down the hole that just stares at you until you get close wrecked a run and I had 4 heals or something crzy like that...still ended my run.

Anyway, I can see how the ending is not satifying to most people, its not for me actually. We know too little about
thela the mom
, we know noting about Selenes husband, with Selene being the
astro
I guess there is the possibility she is driving the car, or is the kid herself....but that just doesnt make sense given
she speaks on the recorded messge on the phone and directs the kid to the food in the fridge
. I am sticking to my story that Selene
made a pact with the reaper after she failed her application to Astro. The car accident was the payment, therehas to be an equal and opposiote negative to every positive, just like the parasites etc.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
both endings are deliberately open for interpretation and there is no definite explanation, just theories. I like to think the whole game is
Thea's agonic DMT trip

G-Bus

Banned
Finally get to play this and fuck is it hard. Only have 2/3 hours in so feel like I'm fumbling a bit. Getting used to everything.

Don't think I've come close to getting to the first boss. Hell, that first big guy you come across that leaps at you just fucks my shit up.

Damn fun though. Got rest of the week off so hopefully find a good chunk of time to commit.

Dr Bass

Finally get to play this and fuck is it hard. Only have 2/3 hours in so feel like I'm fumbling a bit. Getting used to everything.

Don't think I've come close to getting to the first boss. Hell, that first big guy you come across that leaps at you just fucks my shit up.

Damn fun though. Got rest of the week off so hopefully find a good chunk of time to commit.
Ah I remember feeling this way.

In time these guys won't bother you in the slightest. You'll laugh at Biome 1.

2AdEPT

Ok I dont think I have all that much to find to do a platinum. As much as I loved a lot of games over the last few years, I have never platinumed a game. I just dont feel like Im done here. I need some datacubes, a couple glyphs and a couple logs (as far as I can tell.) Pretty sure I got all the artifacts and weapons. I dont need the infamous log 9 for whatever reason. Its likely cause I already played this game for over 5 days or something like that LOL. Of course I have no clue what some of the mystery unlocks are in the trophy cabinet but I think Ill broadcast on twitch if anyone wants to help me out.

Im going live now for an hour or two but keep in mind I will have to pick my daughter up at soccer practice before getting back into it at 10pm pacifc.:

Melee attack is your friend when you fight the big guy who leaps at you. It works well on the green, tree-like enemies too.

G-Bus

Banned
Melee attack is your friend when you fight the big guy who leaps at you. It works well on the green, tree-like enemies too.

Playing right now and I've realized I don't have melee?

Assuming this is an item you get eventually or I've missed something here.

FrankWza

1 log in biome 3 and 1 in 6. I think numbers 30 and 57.
As for the glyphs it's 2-3 in biomes 2, 3, 5 with 5 needed for biome 6.
Lucky. I can’t get 9 to spawn.
Playing right now and I've realized I don't have melee?

Assuming this is an item you get eventually or I've missed something here.
Yeah it’s good. Unfortunately the upgrade isn’t permanent and it costs 250 every run

Stuart360

Man is this the longest thread for a single game under reborn GAF?, it must be close.
I'll def have to check the game out if/when it comes to PC. These Roguelike games are made for PC.

Man is this the longest thread for a single game under reborn GAF?, it must be close.
I'll def have to check the game out if/when it comes to PC. These Roguelike games are made for PC.
Same. I also suck at shooting with a controller (I'm slowly getting better though) so I hope it comes to PC at some point.

Well i meant that there are a bajillion Roguelikes on PC, and the genre is hugely popular on PC.
I'll still be using a controller. :messenger_beaming:
The silver lining of the current low sales: there's like a 99% chance that Jim will push this game to PC in order to generate additional revenue.

I really hope mouse controls are good. No acceleration pls!

Entroyp

1 trophy left for platinum!!! lets go!!!

what a great game 😎

I’m only missing 1 glyph or 1 audio log in each biome and still having a blast after 72+ hours. Best game so far this year.

Any tips for scout log 9?

Last edited:

tommib

Thread got polluted. What happened?
A meme avatar happened. Place sucks lately. Back to reading Edge magazine and stopping with the forums. Between port begging/low sales concern from the embarrassing meme avatar and some loser making a thread with the title NES Mario sucks as much as Citizen Kane I’m done with the place. Mods ban me.

It was a good run and totally worth it for the Returnal thread and all the lovely people in it. You know who you are. Sayonara, gentlemen.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Thread got polluted. What happened?
This happened:
Jealousy GIF

Last edited:

Entroyp

A meme avatar happened. Place sucks lately. Back to reading Edge magazine and stopping with the forums. Between port begging/low sales concern from the embarrassing meme avatar and some loser making a thread with the title NES Mario sucks as much as Citizen Kane I’m done with the place. Mods ban me.

It was a good run and totally worth it for the Returnal thread and all the lovely people in it. You know who you are. Sayonara, gentlemen.

I don’t blame you man. Enjoy the game!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Sad Cry GIF by Team Coco

skit_data

Soo, where is the last weapon? Got the coilspine shredder yesterday, and I think I have all the other ones.
Is there a new weapon in the last biome?

Got all the sunface fragments for B1,B2,B3,and B4 but couldn’t find it in B5 because a bug left me locked inside the challenge room after clearing out every single enemy (I think a Severed fell through the map floor). Has anyone found a sunface fragment inside any of the challenge rooms?

At least I got the gold trophy for the first Biome, so I assume the infamous Scout Log 9 is secured in my case.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Got all the sunface fragments for B1,B2,B3,and B4 but couldn’t find it in B5 because a bug left me locked inside the challenge room after clearing out every single enemy (I think a Severed fell through the map floor). Has anyone found a sunface fragment inside any of the challenge rooms?

At least I got the gold trophy for the first Biome, so I assume the infamous Scout Log 9 is secured in my case.
The fragment for biome 5 should be right at the start of the biome behind the big gate.

You need all three keys for that one.

The fragments are not in challenge rooms.

Last edited:

skit_data

The fragment for biome 5 should be right at the start of the biome behind the big gate.

You need all three keys for that one.

The fragments are not in challenge rooms.
Ah! The one where you find the Hadal Ballasts? Gaah, I went through the whole biome and did the challenge room last but I didn’t go into the red door. Well, at least I have all the keys since I finished the game so I guess I’ll just go there and pick it up

Con-Z-epT

Ah! The one where you find the Hadal Ballasts? Gaah, I went through the whole biome and did the challenge room last but I didn’t go into the red door. Well, at least I have all the keys since I finished the game so I guess I’ll just go there and pick it up
Exactly! Should be no hassle since you got the keys.

skit_data

Exactly! Should be no hassle since you got the keys.
That leaves me with only one key left for the true ending. Im very curious to see it, but...

Does the game reset and wipe all your collectibles/permanent upgrades/progression if you get the true ending or do you keep them? I don’t wanna accidentaly set myself back 50 hours of playtime when going for the platinum trophy...

Con-Z-epT

That leaves me with only one key left for the true ending. Im very curious to see it, but...

Does the game reset and wipe all your collectibles/permanent upgrades/progression if you get the true ending or do you keep them? I don’t wanna accidentaly set myself back 50 hours of playtime when going for the platinum trophy...
You keep EVERYTHING! Don't worry.

2AdEPT

I’m only missing 1 glyph or 1 audio log in each biome and still having a blast after 72+ hours. Best game so far this year.

Any tips for scout log 9?
I got that one by luck but I still need 21 and 50. How do I now where to find this stuff? In the one menu on screen in the "data" secyion it says all I need is xenoglyph 8 but when I beat ophion for the secret ending the stone at the bottom says I only collected 79 of some 90 glyphs? what gives?
Soo, where is the last weapon? Got the coilspine shredder yesterday, and I think I have all the other ones.
Is there a new weapon in the last biome?

Others have pooionted you to the red door for the sunpiece for 5 but it took me three tries to get fragmetn 6. This was depsite the first time I ever wen to 6 that area spawned (but of course theere was no fragemetn yet as I hadnt killed the boss yet) , but either I missed it or it didnt spawn the next two times.

I would also like to know if equipment # 12, which I am missing, is the 12th weapon or the fist consumable. I cant tell which. I figured i got all the weapons after playing 7 days in game hours, but can tbe sure....the RNG in this game is nuts. I still crash every other night aslo. :(

You keep EVERYTHING! Don't worry.
LOL, not 4 small heals and 2 big heals in reserve, not a 300% maxed integrity bar, not the adrenaline leech, two way radio, damaged robot, and a hollowseeker with portal, serrated, and phasing rounds all at level 2. Man to get all that and then lose it all is harsh, just harsh. I have resorted to using the voidbeam glitch here and there for my platinum runs . What is exessively cool about the glitch is that voidbeam continues even during cutsences .

Ive been to biome 6 at least 5 times now and only got portal beam III to 40% LOL. Geez was I pissed when I died on that "optional" miniboss in the depths of 6 even though I had astro, watch , parasite and 2-3 heals and yet I still died with the regular hollowseeker with no portal beam (yes you read correctly, like 5 chances to beat it but the fireworks were going off, insta death charges happened one right after another.) Ive only seen people survive that fight with portal beam 2 or higher, nothing else. SOme appear not to get the fireworks with multiple purple lasers the same as I got also. What a run killer. Word to the wise, only "drop down" where you know where you are going, i.e. blue doors or portals...which is tough if you have not been there more than 2-3 times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom