• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Sony credit downgraded to "BBB+"; Outlook Negative

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Canceled as expected - http://www.edge-online.com/news/panasonic-jungle-cancelled

jungle1.jpg

Welp, that explains 1 billion

I bet they don't want to boom yet.
When there is a good profit finally break thought then start massive market campaign. Just like PS3.

The thing with the PS3 is it was able to skirt past the investment for companies into software by being easily portable from the 360. Since the 360 was doing well anyway, putting stuff on the PS3 wasn't as much a gamble as just a few changes of code and a new disc.

For the Vita, they don't really have that advantage. If the software dries up, they're done. They can't float on their own IP like Nintendo.

Also a word on the Taco Bell promotion

...it's really bad. To find out if it's a Vita it's a little tiny bit of text. Most of the " non-gamers" I heard thought it was either a PSP or some kind of cell phone. And in that case, why even bother with the promotion because people who know that it's a Vita, know the Vita exists.

Don't stick a huge picture of some random generic electronic and then only mention it's a Vita in itty bitty text under the title of the contest.

Oppo

Clearly Apple has achieved an S-Rank.

They may well still recover; the very same Apple was quite literally on death's door 13 years ago.

I liked what Kaz said about Sony focusing on gaming and imaging (with a new medical side-business). They need to strip everything down and focus like crazy. Not sure they know how.

I love the whole Playstation thing but I have to admit, the only other Sony electronics I've purchased in the last 10 years were... a Cybershot for my sister, and an iPod-dock clock radio (taste the irony).

Vinci

Danish
Anybody remember that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry convinces George to do the opposite of whatever he would normally do? That's what Sony should do.

CiSTM

Banned
Start making better smart phones like Samsung did.
Or better yet start making smart phones for world wide markets. You would kinda expect that companies big as Sharp and Panasonic would elbow their way into the world wide mobile phone competition.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The thing with the PS3 is it was able to skirt past the investment for companies into software by being easily portable from the 360. Since the 360 was doing well anyway, putting stuff on the PS3 wasn't as much a gamble as just a few changes of code and a new disc.

For the Vita, they don't really have that advantage. If the software dries up, they're done. They can't float on their own IP like Nintendo.

Also a word on the Taco Bell promotion

...it's really bad. To find out if it's a Vita it's a little tiny bit of text. Most of the " non-gamers" I heard thought it was either a PSP or some kind of cell phone. And in that case, why even bother with the promotion because people who know that it's a Vita, know the Vita exists.

Don't stick a huge picture of some random generic electronic and then only mention it's a Vita in itty bitty text under the title of the contest.

Yeah the 360 basically kept the PS3 going in the beginning, at the same time as kneecapping it.

The Vita is in a much more awkward position.

Grecco

For the US, Sony has said that they're timing their ad campaign to arrive from launch, not earlier.

If their intention is starting to market the product once its arrived at retail then it will fail. Last time Sony intended to "advertise the product at launch" was with the Playstation Move, and well for the most part that's not been a success. If Sony intends the Vita to be a throwaway thing to distract people until a PS4 then sure they will be very succesfull though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's still no good, whichever way you slice it. They were already bleeding money, and now they have to pay more to service their debts.

It's not good, my point is that I don't think it's 'we can't afford to market new products'-bad, per some posts here. Any new debt will be more expensive to service than before which is obviously undesirable, but I don't see any suggestion of being an unmanageable situation. What is the significance of it in material terms? I somehow don't think 'Sony can't afford to market Vita' is a consequence.

Sony knows it has to pare back and reduce costs and get more selective. That's already the plan. Larger debt payments in future years is another impetus for doing that, but I don't think this yields any changes vs what they were already going to do before. These plans are going to affect some areas of the company quite strongly, but I'm not sure the game business will have too rough a time of it. It's certainly not some grand explanation for why 'there's no Vita marketing' :p

Averon

If their intention is starting to market the product once its arrived at retail then it will fail. Last time Sony intended to "advertise the product at launch" was with the Playstation Move, and well for the most part that's not been a success. If Sony intends the Vita to be a throwaway thing to distract people until a PS4 then sure they will be very succesfull though.

This has been Sony's method all generation. They don't seem to believe in pre-release hype building. Hasn't worked all generation. I don't understand why they don't switch tactics.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Sony has too many products. Like the American auto industry prior to the government bailout, Sony keeps putting out products people don't need or want, meanwhile their best products are more expensive and not any better than lesser priced competitor products. Perhaps Kaz can say no to some projects and get their costs down, but it would require a different line of thinking than what was employed when the $600 price was decided on in 2006.

They can. Like the US auto industry learned about overseas competition, I think the Japanese companies can do the same.

They could also build robots that compete for them.

... Right like sony can make the one fastest selling phones ever, just appear out of thin air.

DenogginizerOS

I feel sorry for Panasonic

I don't. How many models of plasma TV did they have in 2011? It is damn near impossible for a consumer to keep up with the differences between all these models thrown at them. Again, like Sony, they need to trim down and refocus on much fewer products.

People saying that what's been happening to Sony recently won't affect PS4 are the same kind of people who brought Sony into this mess of a situation - let's close our eyes, cross our fingers and hope everything goes well.

DenogginizerOS

It won't be long before people will say things like, "Sony is too big to fail." However, like bailed out US banks, if Sony doesn't change the leadership significantly, they will keep digging the hole deeper.

Clearly Apple has achieved an S-Rank.

They may well still recover; the very same Apple was quite literally on death's door 13 years ago.

I liked what Kaz said about Sony focusing on gaming and imaging (with a new medical side-business). They need to strip everything down and focus like crazy. Not sure they know how.

I love the whole Playstation thing but I have to admit, the only other Sony electronics I've purchased in the last 10 years were... a Cybershot for my sister, and an iPod-dock clock radio (taste the irony).

Sony has not been in the market of selling yearly upgrade devices with mass appeal since... never. The walkman was awesome until everyone had one, tapes did not need more data to store all their music. Apple was in a completely different position. Sony would also never release a system at a lost from this point, who will give them the credit when all three of their competitors sell at a profit.

I just hope sony pictures gets bought out, unless they someone get to lose the spider man license, then fuck em.

Vinci

Danish
... Right like sony can make the one fastest selling phones ever, just appear out of thin air.

Japan is an innovation powerhouse. Japan registers a hell of a lot of patents each year given its small population, so it's very capable of surprising people. My issue with Sony is that it has all this R&D and patents, but doesn't seem to pull the trigger on its results until someone else does it first.

I noted this in the Vita OT. A week away from launch (first edition bundle) and the only advertising in the US is a fucking Taco Bell promotion. No hype build up what-so-ever. It's as if SCEA wants a repeat of the PSP in the US.

I didn't even know the Vita was coming out next week.

The way they treated europe is downright abomination. This is their biggest market and they keep mess it up. The price point is awful and the marketing, well yiou said it.

Pretty much how I feel. If they didn't keep treating EU like crap I might care a little bit about them suffering financially.

Erethian

Sony has too many products. Like the American auto industry prior to the government bailout, Sony keeps putting out products people don't need or want, meanwhile their best products are more expensive and not any better than lesser priced competitor products. Perhaps Kaz can say no to some projects and get their costs down, but it would require a different line of thinking than what was employed when the $600 price was decided on in 2006.

Problem is they keep talking about cutting the fat and narrowing their focus on the better parts of the business, but it's yet to actually happen in the way it needs to.

Sheikh

Banned
Nothing to be surprised.

Sony: 2 billion loss
Sharp: 3.8 billion loss
Panasonic: 10 billion loss

Samsung: 4.7 billion profit

How are the Japanese going to compete?

calm down .

They will be roaring back when the western world flexes its muscles. All these companies got affected because of recession/economic bads/exchange rates and a sudden change in consumer buying preferences,which is normal .

Nothing to be surprised.

Sony: 2 billion loss
Sharp: 3.8 billion loss
Panasonic: 10 billion loss

Samsung: 4.7 billion profit

How are the Japanese going to compete?

I think Sony, Sharp, and Panasonic are for the year and Samsung for the quarter....not 100% sure though. I would also like to see LG's numbers if you have it, I think they are also profitable.

Jesus, you guys love shitting on sony. Did they piss in your breakfast? When news like this is posted it's like dusk comes and all the vampires come out.

For the rational posters, how does this effect the PS4? Will there even be one? l know the answer to that but still. Sega comes to mind.

Top Bottom