• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Sony credit downgraded to "BBB+"; Outlook Negative

NHale

Jesus, you guys love shitting on sony. Did they piss in your breakfast? When news like this is posted it's like dusk comes and all the vampires come out.

For the rational posters, how does this effect the PS4? Will there even be one? l know the answer to that but still. Sega comes to mind.

What? Don't you know BBB+ is clearly a sign of the apocalyps3?

The company I work for (1000x smaller than Sony) has a credit rating of CCC+ and we are still open. BBB+ in comparison is like heaven.

Japan is an innovation powerhouse. Japan registers a hell of a lot of patents each year given its small population, so it's very capable of surprising people. My issue with Sony is that it has all this R&D and patents, but doesn't seem to pull the trigger on its results until someone else does it first.

They have amazing engineers, they're just lacking in vision.

Izick

Don't know anyone that likes the industry can remotely enjoy or be happy with this.

Less competition always makes the other companies slack off, unless there is something to prove. (Like Nintendo with the NES after the games crash.)

Also, I have only purchased a PS3 recently, but I'm still amazed at how dedicated Sony is to delivering first party games. I think that there's a real case that the PS3 is right up there with the Wii, and that's saying something since all Nintendo products are known for their first party games.

Who knows how bad this would be for the handheld market, because there would be no competition, at least in terms of dedicated gaming platforms.

Ugh...this is shit.

sublimit

Banned
Give it up Kaz...
Already-Dead-e1263400503343.jpg

Why is this even in the Gaming side? The actual news doesn't even refer to the gaming portion of Sony's company.

All of sony, now has to pay higher interest rates on loans and money.

People are less likely to loan money as well. Sony has no immediate way to make a shit ton of cash to pay interest and new endeavors. Its going to be really hard for them to produce dev kits for ps4 without huge loans to front the manufacturing costs.

It definitely affects the gaming side.

NHale

All of sony, now has to pay higher interest rates on loans and money.

People are less likely to loan money as well. Sony has no immediate way to make a shit ton of cash to pay interest and new endeavors. Its going to be really hard for them to produce dev kits for ps4 without huge loans to front the manufacturing costs.

It definitely affects the gaming side.

Unless they really doubt Sony is able to pay back the money (and if that was the case the rating would be CCC aka junk) it's exactly the opposite. With a higher interest rates people would actually be more inclined to loan money because they get more money in return.

And this impacts Sony as a whole, so it would be a better fit on Off-Topic IMHO.

Unless they really doubt Sony is able to pay back the money (and if that was the case the rating would be CCC aka junk) it's exactly the opposite. With a higher interest rates people would actually be more inclined to loan money because they get more money in return.

No, the interest rate goes higher because there are less people who are willing to loan to them. Lenders set the rates not the borrowers.

Not really.

It's like you had a 770 average on your credit score and now you have 670. It'll be harder for you to find people willing to loan you a good amount of money AND you will have to pay higher interest.

Raide

Jesus, you guys love shitting on sony. Did they piss in your breakfast? When news like this is posted it's like dusk comes and all the vampires come out.

For the rational posters, how does this effect the PS4? Will there even be one? l know the answer to that but still. Sega comes to mind.

There will be a PS4 but its possible they will make it a modest upgrade from the PS3, mainly so they can make money on it from day 1. They just don't have the cash to launch a $499 console again and subsidise it till it gets cheaper. At least the Cell tech and Bluray will be less of an unknown now but I don't see Sony in the position to burn vast amounts of money for R&D on a brand new uber-console.

Furoba

I think Sony, Sharp, and Panasonic are for the year and Samsung for the quarter....not 100% sure though. I would also like to see LG's numbers if you have it, I think they are also profitable.

It's a lot easier when your connections go all the way to the top and you've got access to the cash flow of an entire nation. It can't be too healthy for the country if 1/5 of all exports come from Samsung.

Maybe Japanese electronics companies should move onto selling advanced weapon systems... Won't happen anytime soon, though (total export ban).

jono51

Banned
The lack of marketing for Vita is suicidal, I haven't seen anything in the UK about it at all. Not a thing.

I'm not sure many people even know when it's released.

I do agree with you here completely. Admittedly, I'm only home on Sundays, but when I watched a couple of hours of football (prime market, plenty of people in the 18-30 range watching) I saw nothing. Pretty damn surprising considering this is out in a few weeks.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Their LCD strategy has been a total bust. If they returned to Plasma and sourced panels from Panasonic they might actually make some money from displays. Plasma offers a soothing 3d experience compared to LCD panels and that fused with their image processing technology leads to a compelling display.

ScOULaris

The Sony hate on this forum sickens me sometimes. Yeah, Sony has made its fair share of blunders this gen, but to basically wish for the electronics giant to file bankruptcy is a slap in the face to a company that has done a lot of good for this industry.

LEAVE SONY ALONE!

Punching-a-Whole-in-the-Wall.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Izick said:
So how is Sony's gaming division actually doing?

From a sales perspective, pretty damn well. From a profit-making perspective not so good due to the state of the Yen.

stilgar

With a higher interest rates people would actually be more inclined to loan money because they get more money in return.

This is fun and all, but doesn't really make sense at all. It 's the exact other way around.

This is not apocalyptic for Sony, but turning it positively is really pushing it on the side of insanity.

GavinGT

Banned
The Sony hate on this forum sickens me sometimes. Yeah, Sony has made its fair share of blunders this gen, but to basically wish for the electronics giant to file bankruptcy is a slap in the face to a company that has done a lot of good for this industry.

LEAVE SONY ALONE!

Punching-a-Whole-in-the-Wall.gif

Someone should alert 4chan. We're officially off Sony's payroll.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's not going to bomb, no matter how much you or anyone else wants it to.

You're right. Bombs usually fall from a great height.

Yeah the 360 basically kept the PS3 going in the beginning, at the same time as kneecapping it.

The Vita is in a much more awkward position.

Sony will always have the advantage of managing large life insurance funds.

Consoles are not the problem, either. The PS3 at least has made an accounting profit (maybe not economic profit.). Their big black hole is televisions and other consumer electronics. If they stop making TVs they will be in the black within two years.

It'll bomb in the U.S.

And it's already struggling elsewhere.

Why is this line of thinking becoming more prevalent in the last few weeks? You and everyone else can speculate all you want about what you think will happen but until we get that initial sales report not you, not I, not even Chris1964 himself knows the outcome because it hasn't happened yet. Making guesses based off of the 3DS' intital months seems a little premature to me IMO.

sublimit

Banned
Why is this line of thinking becoming more prevalent in the last few weeks? You and everyone else can speculate all you want about what you think will happen but until we get that initial sales report not you, not I, not even Chris1964 himself knows the outcome because it hasn't happened yet. Making guesses based off of the 3DS' intital months seems a little premature to me IMO.

People make negative guesses because of Sony's zero marketing so far.The underwhelming launch line up doesn't help either.

tkscz

Genesis vs. SNES all over again?

... Where can I sign up?

Part of me hates to admit it, but I think I'd like that.

OT: I don't think this is the end of the Playstation, while Vita was released selling at a loss and not selling well, I think the PS name will be one of the areas Sony keeps open, they need to close their TV and MP3 sections. Most of their phones play music and no one wants to pay that price for those TVs.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Are we really now wondering if Sony has the resources to even manufacture key products?

Between existing cash and committed credit, Sony has access to a bit shy of $20bn (or ~$17bn ex financial services).

You may as well say 'it's going to be really hard for them to produce PS3s'.

There are product lines that will have to go to return Sony to profitability, but they're not in such dire straits that they cannot finance manufacturing of key products. I haven't seen any commentator outside of GAF question whether Sony can finance new product development. 'Give an inch, take a mile' seems appropriate...

herod

And this impacts Sony as a whole, so it would be a better fit on Off-Topic IMHO.

uh lol

Tobor

It's a reasonable assumption.

No marketing + $250 = trouble

I'm buying a Vita but I can still see the obvious.

GavinGT

Banned

I could list off 100 reasons why it will fail in the U.S., but really you can just look at how the PSP has fared. Anything could happen, sure, but the writing is on the wall.

Sony doesn't realize that most of people who are in the market for a $300 multimedia device would rather own a tablet these days. Or if they're primarily interested in gaming, they'd rather do it on a console.

Nintendo is a different beast, so I wouldn't base any predictions off them.

Patryn

This is how bad Sony's been with its Vita marketing: I come to GAF multiple times a day, and I didn't realize it was releasing next week.

I knew it was coming soon, but NEXT WEEK?

GavinGT

Banned
This is how bad Sony's been with its Vita marketing: I come to GAF multiple times a day, and I didn't realize it was releasing next week.

I knew it was coming soon, but NEXT WEEK?

For real. It's not on the RADAR whatsoever. The average Joe doesn't even know what a 'Vita' is yet.

Lothars

I could list off 100 reasons why it will fail in the U.S., but really you can just look at how the PSP has fared. Anything could happen, sure, but the writing is on the wall.

Sony doesn't realize that most of people who are in the market for a $300 multimedia device would rather own a tablet these days. Or if they're primarily interested in gaming, they'd rather do it on a console.

Nintendo is a different beast, so I wouldn't base any predictions off them.
I forgot I should automatically assume something is going to fail because it hasn't been released yet and it's sony. Thanks for reminding me.

Top Bottom