• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Vivendi takeover of Ubisoft to take place this year

The games people use to defend creative Ubisoft are getting old:

Rayman Origins 2011
Rayman Legends 2013
Child of Light 2014
Valiant Hearts 2014
Grow Home 2015

I wonder where are new Rayman games ? What happened to people who made Child of Light or Valiant Hearts ?

They had creative period when they green lighted a lot of more artistic stuff but that seems completely gone in last years.
Well there ain't gonna be any room for greenlighting small projects under Vivendi. None of these were meant to be huge franchises to replace the current structure. You also forgot about Trials.

Yukinari

The games people use to defend creative Ubisoft are getting old:

Rayman Origins 2011
Rayman Legends 2013
Child of Light 2014
Valiant Hearts 2014
Grow Home 2015

I wonder where are new Rayman games ? What happened to people who made Child of Light or Valiant Hearts ?

They had creative period when they green lighted a lot of more artistic stuff but that seems completely gone in last years.

The sequel to Grow Home came out last year so thats fairly new.

Kilau

Well there ain't gonna be any room for greenlighting small projects under Vivendi. None of these were meant to be huge franchises to replace the current structure. You also forgot about Trials.

Ubi bought Redlynx so it's not like they were behind Trials.

True Fire

It's a shame, because Ubisoft has been vastly improving. Empire will probably be their best game yet. But now I'm sure we can expect Ubisoft IPs to be Guitar Hero'd

Fuck, I wish there were something we could do to help fight this. I'm not head over heels for Ubisoft but I'd certainly prefer them independent to the Vivendi alternative.

Yeah, they weren't getting stock to wait forever.

If Ubisoft doesn't want to be bought by Vivendi, their best option is a merger or selling to someone else.
Nintendo, but they would never do it. Plus that would piss off all the fanboys except the Nintendo ones;-)

There is not a single current ubi franchise game I care about. So maybe this is a good thing. If it causes devs to bail out and move to other companies or new projects.

Kill3r7

Nintendo, but they would never do it. Plus that would piss off all the fanboys except the Nintendo ones;-)

Any of the big three could do it but it would be very, very hard to recoup the initial investment. Especially since most of their games are huge AAA open world games. They are also a very large studio/publisher. IIRC they have more employees than EA and a bit more than double the employees of Activision Blizzard. Not really a lean business per se.

Roufianos

Good. Maybe when Yves is replaced they'll stop churning out the same open world crap. Maybe they'll downsize too and have a bit of identity to their games.

A few years ago I really would have cared about Ubisoft, but nowadays with their mostly online focused games, I couldn't care less.

That said, it's a risky investment imo. Ubisoft has a massive workforce with over 10.000 people and many many studios all over the world, but their software output isn't that numerous with easy hitters like EA has.

dex3108

Good. Maybe when Yves is replaced they'll stop churning out the same open world crap. Maybe they'll downsize too and have a bit of identity to their games.

Yeah Watch_Dogs 2, Steep, For Honor, Rainbow Six Siege, Ghost Recon Wildlands, South Park are same open-world crap.

For the love of God please release Beyond Good & Evil 2 first or it'll be lost forever.

Edit: Wait, what if Ubisoft gave their IP rights to some of their current employees, wouldn't that make the takeover pointless for Vivendi?

Hilarion

Ubisoft is worth a significant chunk of change. It isn't in impulse buy territory for Nintendo (theoretically affordable, but a BIG investment for them) and Microsoft doesn't seem in the mood to buy new gaming studios.

If any white knight for Ubi emerged, it'd have to be EA or Sony. EA ad Ubi merging would be hilarious and borderline monopolistic.

Gator86

Yeah Watch_Dogs 2, Steep, For Honor, Rainbow Six Siege, Ghost Recon Wildlands, South Park are same open-world crap.

I disagree with the assessment that Ubi only really puts out open-world crap, but Wildlands is like the definition of open-world crap.

Overall though yeah, they have a fair amount of diversity in their titles that people refuse to see.

I keep reading back and forth if this is good or bad, but now everyone seems to say its bad.

I don't want Rainbow 6 Siege 2 to be full of weapon DLC or paying to get new operators only, or paying for maps.

I don't care about anything else of Ubisofts, but I can't believe one of my favourite new IPs could be destroyed within a single iteration. Will Siege be okay under Vivendi?

Kill3r7

I keep reading back and forth if this is good or bad, but now everyone seems to say its bad.

I don't want Rainbow 6 Siege 2 to be full of weapon DLC or paying to get new operators only, or paying for maps.

I pray the creative vision of that game is allowed to stay and grow as the devs see fit. I don't care about anything else of Ubisofts, but I can't believe one of my favourite new IPs could be destroyed within a single iteration.

We do not know if it is good or bad. You are asking us to predict the future. For all we know, Vivendi could just let them keep on doing what they do now, doubtful but it could happen. My guess is that like most companies out there we will see a push for GaaS.

Saganator

I'll try to find the silver lining that this will hopefully cause some of their top talent to split off and start their own studio and makes some good games. At least EA didn't take over.

We do not know if it is good or bad. You are asking us to guess the future. For all we know, Vivendi could just let them keep on doing what they do now, doubtful but it could happen. My guess is that like most companies out there we will see a push for GaaS.

Yeah well, isn't Siege already GaaS?

Calm Mind

Leave Ubisoft alone. They're a good part of this industry.

leave-britney-alone-02.jpg

Top Bottom