• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Vivendi takeover of Ubisoft to take place this year

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
leave-britney-alone-02.jpg
😍

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Having heard about this for so long, it isn't going to be the least bit surprising when it finally happens. Doesn't seem like it would drastically change their retail game output.

Why would you buy a company, than immediately downsize them?

Because that's the first thing to do on how to cut costs?!

I can see Vivendi getting rid of the Guillemots, scrapping projects that aren't AAA guaranteed money-makers and closing a lot of the smaller studios. This ain't going to end well for Ubisoft.

Cipherr

Hope this doesn't kill the more experimental side of Ubisoft. They are like one of the only big publisher putting out cool stuff for VR.

Read this thread. Gamers don't respect or value that side of these companies anyway. So fuck it. All of these idiots going "Nothing will change" or "Good!" will be the first to cry and complain when everything except derivative yearly Assassins Creed games start coming out. But right now? They don't give a shit and will welcome the change without even looking into Vivendis poisonous history.

Shit really makes me sick man.

Ubisoft becomes as good as Blizzard was when Blizzard was owned by Vivendi.

You have that the wrong way around. The major merger with Act/Blizz and Vivendi happened in 2007 (WoW launched in 2004). Blizzard was already great before Vivendi became the major shareholder. Look at Blizzards history from 2008-2013 compared to when they finally got rid of Vivendi and tell me if anything jumps out at you.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
You might not like ubisoft but I feel that they at least try to put out some more experimental stuff inbetween their big blockbuster franchises and from what I've heard they are also a pretty good place to work at for their employees compared to other big players in the industry.

It will be really sad to see them go to such a scumbag corporation that is vivendi.

DorkyMohr

Banned
Really seeing a ton of overstatement on how crucial a few smaller titles from Ubisoft are. The influence of a hit-driven corporation couldn't be more in line with Ubisoft of all companies.

Only one I really feel bad for is Yves. Sounds like he really wanted to hold onto the family business.

Magnet

Neo Member
Edit: Wait, what if Ubisoft gave their IP rights to some of their current employees, wouldn't that make the takeover pointless for Vivendi?

It would be hilarious if Ubisoft transferred their IPs to employees who then decided to make bank and sell them to the highest bidder.

I know the majority of gaf loves to hate on ubisoft but they've always been one of the most solid and consistent groups in the gaming industry. We do get genuinely great games from them and something experimental like rainbow six sieges final form would never have been greenlit for launch by Vivendi. We would likely have gotten that awful looking Patriots reveal rushed out the door.

CloudWolf

Even if Vivendi wasn't taking over Ubisoft, there is no way we would ever see Beyond Good & Evil 2.

The more interesting question is what will happen to The Fractured But Whole.

When you know you have most of a year before something like this is happening, what prevents Ubisoft from protecting key assets from the takeover by having people "leave the company as a group to form a new studio" and making a "charitable donation of computer equipment and technology as a show of support for new indie developers?"

And hereby transferring all rights to the Assassin's Creed franchise for a nominal fee?

Where does the fear come from that Vivendi will suddenly stop Ubisoft from developing any experimental games and introduce microtransactions everywhere?

Like, seriously, is there a legit reason for that? To me it seems like some instant reaction roughly like this: "game company is being acquired by evil bigger company, has to be bad"

If there are valid reasons for that, feel free to educate me on the subject.

And Ubisoft framing themselves as the victims in some evil scheme in the past years was way over the top too. I didn't see THQ Montreal having that sort of PR campaign after Ubisoft bought and closed them.

iNvid02

When you know you have most of a year before something like this is happening, what prevents Ubisoft from protecting key assets from the takeover by having people "leave the company as a group to form a new studio" and making a "charitable donation of computer equipment and technology as a show of support for new indie developers?"

And hereby transferring all rights to the Assassin's Creed franchise for a nominal fee?

shareholders

shareholders

They don't have any say in the day-to-day operations of the company, do they? Can't they only question that at shareholder meetings?

Are game companies not allowed to shed franchises without express permission from shareholders?

At they very least I don't think they can prevent groups of key developers who aren't on some sort of contract from leaving. People change jobs all the time.

Corporations make donations all the time. They also throw out "outdated" equipment all the time, and sometimes have their dumpsters raided. And there are plenty of stories of developers losing important hard drives of data with no other backups.

bitbydeath

I hope Vivendi expand their portfolio, Ubi has gone massively downhill since Assassins Creed 1 IMO so I welcome the change.

South Park and R6 Siege are fantastic but they could be so much more.

Fisty

Dammit man... Ubisoft is like the only AAA pub going hard with VR titles. That will be gone in a fuckin instant

ReaperXL7

Could SE potentially buy Ubisoft? I'm not really sure they would want to since Eidos has been hit and miss for them but the only other companies I could see making that purchase would be Tencent or Netmarble.

Come to think of it I don't know that Netmarble has any revenue coming in from the console space so it could be an attractive option for them.

I hope Vivendi expand their portfolio, Ubi has gone massively downhill since Assassins Creed 1 IMO so I welcome the change.

Judging by their past, this is not what Vivendi is interested in doing. Ubisoft will essentially become what everyone jokes about them being because they choose to ignore all of the smaller interesting and creative titles that Ubi supports.

It will be Assassins Creed, Far Cry and maybe Watch Dogs only moving forward.

The problem is they won't. They are a content provider they will churn shit out.

Dipper145

You have that the wrong way around. The major merger with Act/Blizz and Vivendi happened in 2007 (WoW launched in 2004). Blizzard was already great before Vivendi became the major shareholder. Look at Blizzards history from 2008-2013 compared to when they finally got rid of Vivendi and tell me if anything jumps out at you.

But blizzard was owned by vivendi, from like late 90's until 2013?.

So I'm not exactly sure what should be jumping out at us?

Top Bottom