• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

rev0wned -- Xbox 360 Working NES Emulator Through MCE

shuri

Banned
thanks for the jolly people at xbox-scene.com

've attached a link to a version of NESCafe that works through Media Center on the Xbox 360. This is currently setup to run at 480p (Widescreen). You can edit the nes.htm file if it does not fit correctly on your screen. I haven't found a way to add a menu for the roms list so you will have to edit the nes.htm and change <param name="ROMFILE" value="/roms/whateverrom.zip" /> to whatever Nes rom you want to play. I've included a Public Domain rom for testing but have verified Zelda1-2, Excitebike, and TecmoBowl and all worked.

Discuss

edit: video linkeruuu!

linkboy

How does this hurt the Virtual Console.

From what it looks like, it will be a pain to setup, unlike Virtual Console

Quellex said:
Yep, looked laggy to me too.

And people complain about wireless controllers...

Shalomi said:
Wow! That is...

...totally fucking illegal and contemptuous.
phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-2.jpg

border

Very nice stuff! Still sucks ass that you have to stream everything like this...but if they can get an NES emulator working, I imagine that they can get almost any emulator working.
linkboy said:
People can get the entire library of games for free, instead of paying for some predetermined portion of it...

Syb

I'd be awesome if they got a N64 Emulator working because then someone could port the High-Rez OoT and Cel-Shadedx OoT. :)

Raw64life

Anyone who would take advantage of this already knows about roms, in which case they probably have no plans on using the Virtual Console anyway.

FiRez

correct me if I'm wrong but any of this Windows Media Center apps is just streaming the video output to the X360, so there's no homebrew code working on the X360, but is interesting

Raw64life said:
Anyone who would take advantage of this already knows about roms, in which case they probably have no plans on using the Virtual Console anyway.

QFT. They're completely different audiences and I doubt this form of emulation will ever be as ubiquitous as Nintendo's offering. Still cool, nonetheless for those into that sort of thing.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I am disgusted and appalled, let's make a petition to make them remove anything that lets you play Nintendo games on the X360

I doubt this will affect Virtual console in anyway. if NIntnedo truely does present this as an Itunes liek services. then they are golden. I mean Itunes was the main key to the succes of the ipod.

Sullichin

Reilly said:
Wow, people still care about NES Emulation? Some of you guys are still stuck in 1998? :lol

Yeah. is it really worth the trouble to set up? There's a NES emulator for like, everything. I would never waste my time modding a 360 to play NES games.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
my computer can already emulate everything under the sun, why is this suprising? Hell my dreamcast already emulates nes perfectly.

jedimike

Sullichin said:
Yeah. is it really worth the trouble to set up? There's a NES emulator for like, everything. I would never waste my time modding a 360 to play NES games.

There is no modding on the 360. This is utilizing the built-in Media Center Extender. It runs on your PC.

TheWolf

Banned
speaking of the Virtual Console, Matt-IGN updated his blog saying he spoke with some MS/Rare people, and they say none of the Rare properties will be on it. GE won't be on there either unless there's a deal with EA or something.

Striek

So basically the X360 is just acting as TV-out? Why the hell not just view it on your monitor or through actual TV-out....whats the point, I guess I'm saying.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Striek said:
So basically the X360 is just acting as TV-out? Why the hell not just view it on your monitor or through actual TV-out....whats the point, I guess I'm saying.

Essentially, pretty un-newsworthy imo.

Striek said:

... You can do it from anywhere within your network. ie Computer upstairs and xbox 360 downstairs.

7Th

border said:
People can get the entire library of games for free, instead of paying for some predetermined portion of it...

Yeah, I've been able to do so for almost 10 years by now.

Togeo

So you can run an emulator on your 360 for the cheap price of a Windows Media Center PC? I don't see why this looks so appealing.

kamikaze

Togeo said:
So you can run an emulator on your 360 for the cheap price of a Windows Media Center PC? I don't see why this looks so appealing.

because it makes the 360 look more attractive and attempts to rile up n-bots?

Raw64life pretty much nailed it...anyone who'd bother to do this probably already has roms on their pc.

Speevy

Banned
I don't find a great deal of value in playing old games anyway. I mean, it's nice every once in a while, but not worth a whole lot of cash. I haven't spent very much on Xbox Live Arcade either, except for a couple of titles to play online.

Imagine if Sony said at GDC "The PS3 plays all the PS2 and PS1 games. And as if that weren't enough, there are also original PS3 titles being developed for it!"

You would probably have the same reaction that I had to Nintendo's conference.

CO_Andy

You can also play TGFX-16, Genesis, SNES, & NES games on GCN courtesy of the homebrew scene. Just don't tell Nintendo that.

Shogun

ThunderKing said:
I doubt this will affect Virtual console in anyway. if NIntnedo truely does present this as an Itunes liek services. then they are golden. I mean Itunes was the main key to the succes of the ipod.
QFT

People can already get any bit of music, sometimes more than that is commercially available from the internet with 0 effort. Yet iTunes is one of the most in demand business models of this century. With the possible hassle of downloading an emulator, configuring it to work, illegally downloading roms, and then getting the whole shebang working on the 360, do you really think it will affect the revolution any more?

White Man

Reilly said:
Wow, people still care about NES Emulation? Some of you guys are still stuck in 1998? :lol

Last I checked there were tons of Nintendo fans on the board jizzing over NES emulation.

This is nice, but get me MAME on my 360 and I'll be really happy.

h1nch

virtual console seemed like a cool idea until I realized that they intended on making you buy the games. unless they intend on only charging 99c per game, I think that its a pretty stupid feature. PC Emulation FTW

jett

D-Member
linkboy said:

From what it looks like, it will be a pain to setup, unlike Virtual Console

:lol You already own a "virtual console", buddy boy, you know, that thing you use to browse THE GAF. I just don't fucking understand the big deal of Rev's "Virtual Console"-

yjs666

Uber game nerds like us may think Virtual console is irrelevent but the average consumer wouldn't give too shits about PC emulators. Why do people buy music of iTunes when they can theoretically download it for free (albeit illegally, same thing with ROMs)? Well the answer is, they don't know how and can't be bothered to find out how even if they did.

Some of you supposed hardcore gamers are way out of touch with reality. 95% of the world's population doesn't know how to find XVID codecs for watching movies or find SNES9X. Find a PSX bios? What??

But this doesn't mean I won't buy games off VC; if Nintendo prices the games right and provides a good input solution (i.e. a good controller shell) then count me in.

Deku

Banned
Shogun said:
QFT

People can already get any bit of music, sometimes more than that is commercially available from the internet with 0 effort. Yet iTunes is one of the most in demand business models of this century. With the possible hassle of downloading an emulator, configuring it to work, illegally downloading roms, and then getting the whole shebang working on the 360, do you really think it will affect the revolution any more?

Well I think this is a certain element of envy as well, although its guised under the 'Revowned' tag. The fact that someone bothered to point it out and certain posters seem to agree vehemently as to point fingers at people who actually like to VC idea tends to show that there is a need to discredit the VC concept to justify their hardware purchases. This is nothing new, people have been trying to discredit features their preferred hardware of choice don't have since before videogames. It's just human nature.

For Nintendo, they can work around the emulation issue by simply adding value to their downloads by including things like digital manuals, game art and any number of low cost, high value material that will alter the package's worth to the consumers.

Playing illegal roms is one thing, but there's plenty of research out there supporting the fact that there's strong demand for 'official' goods, especially if it is not bare bones and it comes with lots of extra goodies, even if the material cost of those goodies are only a few dollars.

border

"rev0wned" doesn't necessarily have to mean that this will totally negate the the VC in the eyes of every consumer -- just that it offers a superior funcitonality. iTunes and iPod get owned 6-ways-from-Sunday by any number of alternatives, but it doesn't stop them from being juggernauts in the consumer market.

As is, I think it'll take a pretty monstrous PC to run this setup. Emulating the games isn't hard, but the game footage has to be encoded into WMV and streamed in real-time, with basically no allowance for lag or delay. That's a pretty big hurdle and probably more expensive than it would be just to build a mini-PC with TV-Out (or mod an Xbox).

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
I ever believed that the Virtual Console in the case of NES games is a lose of time since you can emulate it with a Pentium 100Mhz with 32MB of RAM without problems.

I am more interested in N64 games since they have said that we are going to enjoy them in 640x480 and running at 60fps.

border

Nightbringer said:
I am more interested in N64 games since they have said that we are going to enjoy them in 640x480 and running at 60fps.
Highly doubtful.

640x480? Yes.

60 fps? Probably not. Today's emulators are more than capable of running N64 games at 200+ FPS, but if you set them beyond anything than their intended speed then they are unplayable. Others can probably explain it better than I can, but to emulate properly you have to accurately emulate the CPU, which means setting your virtual CPU to the same speed as the N64's. It's an issue with how the games are coded.....similarly, you could overclock the Xbox CPU and get better framerates, but the speed and timing of of the games would be totally fucked up.

Snow

jett said:
:lol You already own a "virtual console", buddy boy, you know, that thing you use to browse THE GAF. I just don't fucking understand the big deal of Rev's "Virtual Console"-
Some of us like to have legal alternatives to what is already illegaly available.

I think iTunes is an excellent idea. Using internet downloads for music distribution is convenient and just makes sense; having a legal alternative to the P2P networks is nice.

I like the fact that Steam or totalgaming.net alow me to buy games via a download, even though I can find games for download for free on every torrent tracker already.

In fact, I like the fact that I can buy anything game related legally at all; including repressings of old games, despite the fact that most of those are very easily available through illegal means. I bought a brand new version of FF7 platinum just a few months ago; I'm pretty sure it was a repressing, and I was happy I could find it, despite the fact that bleem and a trip to some shaddy websites would've given me the same game.

And yes, I know how to use an emulator and where to find ROMs. That doesn't mean I cannot be excited over a legal alternative. For a forum where I have seen people being bitched out for buying stuff second hand instead of retail (which is a bit silly IMO, but that's a different discussion), I would expect GAF to understand this.

That doesn't mean I think VC is perfect; I don't know the exact feature set yet. But I'm getting a bit tired of every single discussion about it I've seen on the internet ending up with "LOL you can already do this on your PC, so why get excited silly Nbot?" and "hey Nintendo, my ROMs folder with a 1000 files says hi!" arguments.

Top Bottom