• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] This is how Xbox Series S backwards compatibility really works

HonkingTonk

Neo Member
You will be able to play the your BC-supported games with your physical discs on the Series X, which has a disc drive. You pop it in and the console will download the game to your disk. With the Series S, all your digital purchases will carry over. So, for example, if you bought CoD: World at War digitally on your XB360, you can also download the game on the Series S/X. Those are not ports - the games are running on a virtual Xbox 360 GPU running on top of the hypervisor. It's really a marvel of technology and really encourage you to check it out.
I'm curious,does this mean that if I have an old HDD filled with 360 games, I could connect it to a Series S/X and play them?

Xenon

What is your problem? The console can do 4K. The HDMI cable is not broken, 4 TFLOPS for an RDNA2 chip can render that resolution with non trivial math per pixel, and we are talking about original Xbox and Xbox 360 games here.

Your best answer is to tout the company line without any critical thinking and defending their business decision and not reading what other people type (?!? which results in an almost canned response that reads like a script).

This would be almost fine and not hilarious if you were not also shouting about how white knightly pro-consumer they supposedly are in everything they do

Anyone interested in running games in 4k should be purchasing an X machine. You seem like you're being purposely obtuse just to find fault with the system not being able to do what it's not targeted to do. " But it's theoretically possible" is not really an argument.

sn0man

Man if Microsoft had an emulator to play games natively and then download this patched version if available they'd have the perfect BC solution. No more worrying about licensing or having to download a game to play it when you got the disc.
When I read that “most games you just change 3 lines of code” I cry a little inside.

the Xbox could have just created a global system update for the ones that are that simple. They could have then just made patches available for other games as part of Xbox live.

I swear, MS made the Xbox 360 about all these additive benefits if you want to go online. Then with xbone they turned it into a stick.

controversial opinion: if MS dropped a patch to enable offline everything on Xbox1X I’d buy one.

sn0man

M.S. spent alot of money and labor making each X360 title compatible for the Xone and its nice, but generally speaking you buy a Next Gen console to play Next gen Games that wasn't technically possible on the previous gen.
To be fair the Xbox approach has a further downside in that some games didn’t get a port (Forza Motorsport 4). My buddy put the disc in his xboneS and it told him “not compatible with this Xbox.”

I get that it is a license issue because MS would be technically rereleasing it but still sad as an emulator on the device would just run the code.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Anyone interested in running games in 4k should be purchasing an X machine. You seem like you're being purposely obtuse just to find fault with the system not being able to do what it's not targeted to do. " But it's theoretically possible" is not really an argument.

Oh the irony... yeah, sure the one that keeps repeating the marketing marching orders without evidently reading what others are writing calls them obtuse :rolleyes:.

Xenon

Oh the irony... yeah, sure the one that keeps repeating the marketing marching orders without evidently reading what others are writing calls them obtuse :rolleyes:.

Marketing marching orders, what a skewed perspective you seem to be coming into this with. I must have missed the part where Microsoft said after the Xbox 1X that they guarantee every system released afterwards will offer 4K resolution for all backwards compatibility. Again you keep coming up with this is some kind of marketing ploy when the system is designed for people who don't care about higher-resolution. The level of concern trolling you're coming in with it's fucking legendary. Maybe you should go out in front of your local game stores and hand out pamphlets to protect people from the evils of low-res backward compatibility. Keep up the good fight man.

REDRZA MWS

I've never owned a current gen console. I've only heard that the physical disc simply acts a key to unlock the digital version for free.
In my view all next gen consoles regardless of spec should have had an optical drive as standard, especially when you consider next gen game sizes and download times.
Both MS and Sony are offering disc versions though.

MarkMe2525

Insightful interview. I won't take advantage of the 120 fps until I upgrade my tv but I'm glad there are devs that want to give people with the proper equipment, the best experience possible.

Top Bottom