• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Review Thread: Tomb Raider Definitive Edition

artist

Banned
I do find it funny how last year this game was a step back gameplay wise and basically hid all its flaws behind pretty graphics, but yet now, by make it even prettier and putting it on the new console hardware, all the flaws in the game are being ignored.

Good on Jim sterling for reminding us that eye candy isnt everything. Looks like the same old Tomb raider 2013 with a fresh coat of paint. Nothing done about the desire to Be Ms Uncharted or QTE fest. pass.
No what's funny is that they found the original worthy enough for a 5/5, remember core gameplay hasnt changed ..

slapnuts

Well I am pretty impressed the next gen consoles are matching the PC version this early in these new systems lifespan. I've mentioned it before in the other TR thread that i have the PC version and I am running a 3770k@4.6ghz,16gb ddr3 ram, 7970Ghz Edition@1200mhz Core/1600mhz mem and at 1080p ...TR PC would be a pretty constant 60fps with some slight dips to mid 50s fps here and there.

To see the PS4 basically match that with even more graphic effects added on top is a really good sign for the PS4's future. Just imagine what Sony's 1st and 2nd party games will look like once developers begin to harness the power of PS4 and truly utilize the GPGPU, Huma, the extra ACE's,etc. There is so much going for the PS4 right now..and X1 in some ways as well...Personally as a avid PC gamer i am more excited to see what PS4 can do with some of these added hardware assets to its GPU though because stuff like GPGPU, Huma and the higher amount of ACE's will be the future for graphics. The PS4's gpu has 3x or 4x the ACEs as my 7970...stuff like that i am eager to see put to use in gaming.

Majmun

I do not like when reviewers put a monetary value on the enjoyment of a game. Stop assuming everyone has the same financial status. We don't need a reviewer to tell us the value of our disposable income, and how to spend it. So no, despite it offering nothing really new over last year's game I will be buying it next week when it launches in the UK.

I think it's a fair point.

Re-releasing a game that hasn't been out for a year at full price would be an awful trend. Especially when the original game can be found for very cheap nowadays.

Symphonia

Banned
I can't get over how good that GIF looks. I don't know if it's just me or not, as I'm out of the loop when it comes to PC gaming, but the Xbox One and PS4 versions look better than the PC version maxed out. Some truly amazing work if that's the case.

flattie

I do not like when reviewers put a monetary value on the enjoyment of a game. Stop assuming everyone has the same financial status. We don't need a reviewer to tell us the value of our disposable income, and how to spend it. So no, despite it offering nothing really new over last year's game I will be buying it next week when it launches in the UK.

Apart from this small moan seems the game is reviewing well, which was expected. Can't wait to replay it again.

If the goal of the review is to look at the product in isolation then none of these reviews should exist. In their place should be nothing more than an appended paragraph to the original review, detailing technical changes.

The only worthwhile reviews will be the ones that try to make sense of the product and its context. That means there will be a risk of it falling foul of some peoples' point of view (like yours, it seems). On the other hand, framing it within the context of value (in this case), would seem to be the natural thing to do: you only have to visit any one of the number of GAF TR:DE threads to see that the one big recurring theme is the RRP.

He's not trying to tell you anything about your disposable income. He's just making a statement about its relative value, with his reference being last years' release, in his opinion. You get to decide whether you agree or not, and to what degree in either direction. Where's the problem here?

Hopefully I can find it cheap later on. I'd like to see how it compares personally. I'm currently playing through on PC. At this moment no way in hell it's worth the extra money

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Ugh, this makes me feel like an idiot paying full price for the PC original last year. Never again.

At least I bought the PC version in a sale. I do hope they port the updates over to PC. They could sell it as a DLC. Easy money for them.

Kaswa101

Compared to crap like Killzone SF (the game I played before Tomb Raider) it IS well written.

Lol, nah.

On-topic, Definitive Edition looks a lot better than expected, especially compared to the PC version. Haven't bought it on last-gen yet so I might just decide to do it now (when it becomes available in my country).

Compared to crap like Killzone SF (the game I played before Tomb Raider) it IS well written.

I mean, sure, if your bar for "well written" is "doesn't completely shit the bed" Tomb Raider is much better than Killzone, in the same way that a McDonald's cheeseburger is better for you than swallowing broken glass.

Game definitely doesn't deserve kudos for its writing, but the action is at least serviceable and it is gorgeous. I'm enjoying playing it again on my PS4.

Well I am pretty impressed the next gen consoles are matching the PC version this early in these new systems lifespan. I've mentioned it before in the other TR thread that i have the PC version and I am running a 3770k@4.6ghz,16gb ddr3 ram, 7970Ghz Edition@1200mhz Core/1600mhz mem and at 1080p ...TR PC would be a pretty constant 60fps with some slight dips to mid 50s fps here and there.

To see the PS4 basically match that with even more graphic effects added on top is a really good sign for the PS4's future. Just imagine what Sony's 1st and 2nd party games will look like once developers begin to harness the power of PS4 and truly utilize the GPGPU, Huma, the extra ACE's,etc. There is so much going for the PS4 right now..and X1 in some ways as well...Personally as a avid PC gamer i am more excited to see what PS4 can do with some of these added hardware assets to its GPU though because stuff like GPGPU, Huma and the higher amount of ACE's will be the future for graphics. The PS4's gpu has 3x or 4x the ACEs as my 7970...stuff like that i am eager to see put to use in gaming.

The kind of PC gamer i like to hear from, You make some good points about how devs will be able to take even more advantage of console hardware wheras on PC it's brute force thats needed to achieve the grandest, Nothing wrong with that of course but the ps4 has alot of good things going for it and somewhat the x1 has, But GPGPU and coding to the metal later on will bring even more visual fidelity, Kudos for these early release games looking as good as they do, Because if consoles prove anything, Its that the visuals improve as devs mature with the hardware.

thuway

The performance of the console ports does a great job indicating what a developer can do in a closed box in comparison to an off the shelf GPU. PS4 and Xbox One are punching far above their weight class. I wish someone would do the math and post which GPU they perform favorably to.

But please developers, do not let shadows go to the ugly wayside. Shadows add that oomph to the image.

Vizzeh

Banned
Would be nice to see a PS4 Gif there also for comparison (unless they are identical to X1) X1 Gif looks fantastic. Iv already completed the game on the 360, will do so again on the PS4. Looks superb.

mflexx

Banned
PC (max settings):
ku-xlarge.gif

Xbox One:
ku-xlarge.gif

dypv5ec-1rbs0p.gif

A picture is worth a thousand words.

klier

Never played the original, and am truly exited for the PS4 version. I've been playing Battlefield 4 way too much lately, time for something new!

And get that PC stuff out of here, Junior.

Theecliff

Banned

Apart from this small moan seems the game is reviewing well, which was expected. Can't wait to replay it again.
But these games are products, and part of that is that they have a monetary value. Why would I recommend something to you if it cost much more than what it's actually worth (not saying this is necessarily the case with TR)? If a game is costly but lacks anything to justify that price, you wouldn't (and probably shouldn't) recommend it, even if you were assuming that the person you were reviewing it for a had a lot of disposable income.

Take for example, the 'Angry Birds Trilogy' for PS360. The three games on the App Store cost around 69p each when the console version was released and they were all generally well praised iPhone games. But the Trilogy on the consoles was released for around £30~ and featured little extra content to justify the ridiculous price, so reviewers of the console version adjusted their scores accordingly. If reviewers were to have the same level of detachment as you would want them too, they would have given the game similar praise that they would have given to the iPhone games (unless there was something horribly wrong with the console ports), despite the fact that the console version cost nearly 15 times as much as the combined price of the games on the App Store.

It doesn't matter if the consumer interested in the product had a lot of disposable income, why would anyone want to waste money on something that isn't worth it? Reviewers sort of need to tell us whether they think that the product is worth the money, and part of that is how much they cost versus how much they're worth.

So I see absolutely nothing wrong with Sterling informing his readers whether TR is worth their money or not.

If the goal of the review is to look at the product in isolation then none of these reviews should exist. In their place should be nothing more than an appended paragraph to the original review, detailing technical changes.

The only worthwhile reviews will be the ones that try to make sense of the product and its context. That means there will be a risk of it falling foul of some peoples' point of view (like yours, it seems). On the other hand, framing it within the context of value (in this case), would seem to be the natural thing to do: you only have to visit any one of the number of GAF TR:DE threads to see that the one big recurring theme is the RRP.

He's not trying to tell you anything about your disposable income. He's just making a statement about its relative value, with his reference being last years' release, in his opinion. You get to decide whether you agree or not, and to what degree in either direction. Where's the problem here?
Spot on.

-

As for me, I might pick this up when I get a PS4. Despite hearing mixed things I'm pretty intrigued to play it since I skipped it last gen. Looking damned good and running at a higher framerate than expected will probably help, too.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
I actually think it's stupid that this game is even getting it's own reviews....! It's the same fucking game that everyone gave high scores last year.

SkylineRKR

I mean, sure, if your bar for "well written" is "doesn't completely shit the bed" Tomb Raider is much better than Killzone, in the same way that a McDonald's cheeseburger is better for you than swallowing broken glass.

Game definitely doesn't deserve kudos for its writing, but the action is at least serviceable and it is gorgeous. I'm enjoying playing it again on my PS4.

Its not even been a year but I honestly don't remember anyone from the main cast beside Lara Croft. They were terrible as was their script.

But yes, it must've been better than Shadow Fall. Because that was blatantly offensive.

Cyborg

Any mention of the diffrence in fps? XboxOne 30fps and PS4 60fps? Did any reviewer say anything about that?

Axial

Ugh, this makes me feel like an idiot paying full price for the PC original last year. Never again.
Yep, same here, and also looking at all the comparison pics it also make it even more obvious how much pc ports of certain AAA titles were gimped down by focusing on last gen console developement. There's nothing in the definitive edition that a PC couldn't handle, on the other hand it also shows the potential of next gen consoles. It's nice to see dev's pushing out console games at native 1080p and 60fps which for me personally is the only reason why I prefer(ed) gaming on PC. I'm patiently waiting for some good exclusives, like the The Order: 1886 or the next Uncharted, to finally cave in and buy a PS4. Games like that will certainly push the platform even further and give us some great gaming experiences.

As for the TR Definitive Edition, I'm glad this game is getting more attention on next gen platforms because it deserves it. I like the old Tomb Rider games alot but at the same time enjoyed what CD has done with the character and gameplay in the reboot, and hope that SquarEnix will allow CD to continue their work on this franchise even though they didn't quite meet their sales expectations.

Sean*O

dypv5ec-1rbs0p.gif

A picture is worth a thousand words.

I've seen some other large PS4 shots and that's the first one yet (that I've seen) that's clearly better on the PC. It looks like a mistake by the artists actually, along with the missing shadows, shit is melting or something.

Any mention of the diffrence in fps? XboxOne 30fps and PS4 60fps? Did any reviewer say anything about that?

I don't think many reviewers will have both copies for review. Best to wait for DF analysis rather than the odd "it looks like 38.7 fps to me" reviews anyway.

I've seen some other large PS4 shots and that's the first one yet (that I've seen) that's clearly better on the PC. It looks like a mistake by the artists actually, along with the missing shadows, shit is melting or something.
The game is clearly better looking on PC for anyone who has played it on PC, due to the higher resolution textures and DX11 effects.

That said, the improvements in DE are nothing to scoff at (new Lara model is impressive), and for a $400 machine you can't go wrong.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The game is clearly better looking on PC for anyone who has played it on PC, due to the higher resolution textures and DX11 effects.

Have you played it on PS4? I haven't, but even on a shitty-looking stream the smoke and explosions during a part near the end blew the PC version away in motion.

Dinda

Sorry Jim Sterling, but if you think the game is good, than give it an according rating.

This isn't like a refurbished Legacy Version of Fifa that is released on the same platform as before, and people would unknowingly buy the same game twice.

Tell people that you don't think it is worth paying 60 bucks for it if they already played it.
Stuff like that shouldn't influence the score.
Or just don't rate it at all, just give your impressions of the new versions and link to the original review for the game itself.

Have you played it on PS4? I haven't, but even on a shitty-looking stream the smoke and explosions during a part near the end blew the PC version away in motion.
Sure did, 100%'d the campaign in nearly one sitting lol

I'm probably pushing it by saying that the PC version is "clearly" better looking, but to someone who has played both versions, I have to give PC the edge overall due to the higher quality textures (even over the redone Lara model) and DX11 effects that are higher quality than the effects seen in DE (DoF and other visual effects are higher quality, and tessellation smoothens her sharp features out and makes the environment look better). But then again, it took a $1000 graphics card to achieve that haha

Can we just agree that the de has better artistic choices that emphasize certain aspects more and give the game a more popping look while the pc version is technically superior when it comes to things like aa texture distance etc?

Sanctuary

it took a $1000 graphics card to achieve that haha

Or $500 if you were talking about a Titan. Anyway, kind of sucks that it's not being released (as of yet) on the PC too. Not that I saw anything that stood out as "OMFG it's so much better than the PC version on Ultra @ 2560 x 1440!".

Still, swaying trees...OMG!

You have a point, but I still like it. It's not only well written, it's acted very well. Guys and girls behind the voices do a hell of a job.

big_z

I think it's debatable how much it is improved over the PC version. I saw a gif earlier that showed that despite its improvements, it lacks the tessellation that the PC version has.

the definitive version is missing geometry and has lower polys in the environment in some places. probably a trade off for the added physics and effects. imo even though some aspects are downgraded from the pc version the stuff they added more than make up for it.

Lara's voice is awful. It just sounds fake and forced

It's more that she talks to herself constantly, which feels really unnatural. It's fine when she's talking to other characters but when she's aloooone and keeps talking to herself Lara you can do this okayyyyy it's really overwrought.

Resilient

I can't get over how good that GIF looks. I don't know if it's just me or not, as I'm out of the loop when it comes to PC gaming, but the Xbox One and PS4 versions look better than the PC version maxed out. Some truly amazing work if that's the case.

The original version is a 360/PS3 port to PC. If they made a definitive version for PC, your face would melt.

Shahed

It's more that she talks to herself constantly, which feels really unnatural. It's fine when she's talking to other characters but when she's aloooone and keeps talking to herself Lara you can do this okayyyyy it's really overwrought.
Yeah that's annoying as well. I was more referring to her accent though. It doesn't sound properly English. It always sounded wrong to me as if someone was putting on an accent. Well to my ears anyway

hodgy100

This really should have been a budget release. It just feels liek a rip off, charging full price for the same game with minor upgrades. HD Remasters have more work put into them and they usually retail for £25 - £30 :/

Top Bottom