• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviewer Retracts Original AC:Unity Score

OraleeWey

I would like to explain and clarify before proceeding:

I've been reviewing video games for 15 years. I have never felt the need to retract a review, although I have made mistakes in my analysis (though none so grievous as to warrant a complete retraction). I have issued reviews based on games I did not complete and despite what the obscenely righteous will say, you're unlikely to find any critic who has completed every game he or she has reviewed. Most times, it's simply not realistic for a wide variety of reasons (lack of resources for the publication, sheer lack of time, etc.).

Secondly, this is not an attack on Ubisoft. In fact, I'm one of their biggest supporters and I appreciate their ambition in new IPs like Watch Dogs. I will add that I'm a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise, so this isn't a personal vendetta against the series. Now, in regards to my review, let me be clear: I stand by the sentiments of the review, although I must now retract the overall score. I will not issue a new review and I won't change that score; I don't believe that's the right thing to do. Rather, I'm offering this editorial to all gamers out there.

You may call it unprofessional if you wish. You can say I should've played the game longer or thought about it for an extended period of time before providing the reading public with a review. Personally, I don't believe I should have to play a game for 50 hours before I start questioning things. But regardless of my beliefs and how I approach my reviews, I'm in the wrong. When you write for a gaming website, you really have to produce reviews quickly if you want to remain competitive; whether gamers don't understand this or don't wish to accept it, I don't know. And it's irrelevant, anyway. What matters is that Assassin's Creed Unity didn't deserve a 9.

I still believe we should reward ambition in this industry. It's the only way we'll progress. I still say much of what we see in Unity is wonderfully ambitious and even astounding. However, after playing for a very long time, I've had to accept some harsh truths: First, while I knew Arno was too "sticky" from the start, I never realized just how much of a problem that could be, especially in the last few missions of the game, and in some of the harder Co-Op and Heist missions. In regards to the obvious technical issues, I can only say that they never bothered me too much; this retraction is not due to those problems. They factor into my decision, but those well-publicized glitches didn't dictate for me.

Up next is the fact that the more you play, the more you feel manipulated. You don't really find out until later that there's no way to earn all the Skill points you require simply by sticking to the single-player missions. Co-Op missions offer way more Skill points and while you can play them solo, they're quite difficult without allies. In order to open Initiate chests, you have to have a Uplay account; in order to open Nomad chests, you have to download (and extensively play) the Companion App; in order to see all the collectibles on the map, you have to use Helix points to snag Time Saver Packs. And as nobody can seem to figure out how to reliably earn Helix points, Ubisoft unsurprisingly asks you to pay for them. Prior to this game, viewpoints unlocked these collectibles and optional missions; now, viewpoints unlock less than half.

Parts of the main game are closed off if you don't get the Dead Kings Expansion. This includes the Guillotine Guns, various pieces of equipment, and a different section of the map; you can see these when you play the game, but you're told several times that in order to access them, you have to get the DLC in question. Granted, that DLC is now free, but only because Ubisoft so badly botched the launch; they originally intended for the DLC to be premium. Except, that's not an expansion. That's something else you need to unlock more of what appears to be the base game. This is wrong. This is the kind of practice we really can't encourage in developers and publishers these days and again, it's not the kind of thing I really noticed until after playing for many hours.

I didn't realize how much Ubisoft wanted you to be "connected" or how devious they were in essentially forcing you to play multiplayer. I will admit that you don't have to do all these things if you wish to simply zip through and finish the game. But really, that's not what an open-world sandbox game is about; almost nobody races through and does nothing else. In this case, it seems like most every optional thing in Unity has a string attached. I've been reflecting on the game as a whole for weeks now. I've tried to convince myself that the original score I handed out is justified, for a number of legitimate reasons. But if I sat down to review it now, after discovering everything that I've discovered, would I assign the same score? The answer, unfortunately, is no. As such, I'm issuing a retraction for the score although not the entire analysis, as a lot of that remains sound.

I'm sure this won't go over well with everyone, especially Ubisoft, but at least my conscience will be clear. :)

-Ben Dutka

He originally gave the game a 9/10 but now feels that isn't a fair score due to all the problems Unity has. Doesn't have much to do with framerate/graphics, but more with issues in the game. Like not being able to get all the skill points by sticking with single player missions, or the whole thing with the chests that require you to go above and beyond reason to be able to open them in game. I have to agree with him on his retracting his score if he didn't play far enough to know.

http://www.psxextreme.com/feature/1156.html

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What would be the point of side content that doesn't also give you skill points and also useful gear?

OraleeWey

So he wrote his original review before completing the game, mmmm
Yup he explains here
You may call it unprofessional if you wish. You can say I should've played the game longer or thought about it for an extended period of time before providing the reading public with a review. Personally, I don't believe I should have to play a game for 50 hours before I start questioning things. But regardless of my beliefs and how I approach my reviews, I'm in the wrong. When you write for a gaming website, you really have to produce reviews quickly if you want to remain competitive; whether gamers don't understand this or don't wish to accept it, I don't know. And it's irrelevant, anyway. What matters is that Assassin's Creed Unity didn't deserve a 9.

Cipherr

Thats going to happen. It has always happened, even when we were reading our reviews from magazines in the 90's. I cannot even imagine it today. Theres a LOT of games to review, they don't exactly get a ton of lead time with the game before reviews are allowed up, and these days games are getting more and more involved and longer in some cases.

Toss in having to review during a busy holiday season, and gaming websites aren't exactly raking in the dough these days post dotcom bubble leading to smaller staff.... and yeah, I can see reviewers getting 80% through a game and then penning a review.

It shouldnt be that way though, it would be crazy if book/movie reviews did that IMO.

Exactly what I'm wondering. Is this a case of him just completing the main story then going back for side content or just reviewing the game without even doing the bare minimum I would expect?

Even more reason to not put much stock in gaming journalism.

Nachos

The "be first or fade to irrelevancy" push in reviews is the worst. It's never too early to ask questions, but it can be too early to propose conclusions.

Corgi

Banned
not seeing how much sp is required to max, I get... those initiation chests are something you see in the first few min of the game o_O

Shengar

That's really nice write up of his situation with the game really. This piece reveal how tricky it is in reviewing a game. Sometimes there is an underlying mechanic that can only discovered with careful playthrough. Sometimes hype and pre-release media and public atmosphere could really affect one's judgement.

You think all these 50+ hour and online games are getting completed/played as extensively as they need to be in the timeframe they have to publish a review? There just aren't enough hours in a work week and these people have other tasks, no site can pay people to be idle for 2 weeks while they do nothing but play a single game and they can't do it all on their own time.

Back when everything was 10-20 hours (30 for a super long epic rpg) and only had 1 or 2 modes it was a reasonable expectation. It's just not feasible anymore.

Good on this reviewer for taking a principled stand rather than just sweeping it under the rug and moving on like most did, honestly.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You had to do multiplayer AFAIK
No you didn't, all content in the game can be completed solo, yes that includes co-op missions. Heck I have an easier time doing something like heists solo than with co-op since there's less risks for mistakes.

Lunar15

Everyone really needs to realize how few reviewers play games all the way through before scoring them. It's surprisingly sad.

adelante

Thats going to happen. It has always happened, even when we were reading our reviews from magazines in the 90's. I cannot even imagine it today. Theres a LOT of games to review, they don't exactly get a ton of lead time with the game before reviews are allowed up, and these days games are getting more and more involved and longer in some cases.

Toss in having to review during a busy holiday season, and gaming websites aren't exactly raking in the dough these days post dotcom bubble leading to smaller staff.... and yeah, I can see reviewers getting 80% through a game and then penning a review.

It shouldnt be that way though, it would be crazy if book/movie reviews did that IMO.

Yeah, pretty much this. I remember reading somwhere in EGM or Gameplayers where they don't exactly finish the game for review, but played a substantial amount of it to judge as a product. The only issue for me is when reviewers play too little of it.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's good that he explained why, but I don't understand how Unity deserved a 9 in the first place.

A lot of his (valid) complaints are things that are made pretty obvious by the game without needing to play for 50 hours. Initiate chests were one of the earliest complaints people had about the game. Seems like they barely gave the game any time before reviewing. But yeah it's not remotely a 9.

No you didn't, all content in the game can be completed solo, yes that includes co-op missions. Heck I have an easier time doing something like heists solo than with co-op since there's less risks for mistakes.

Just to clarify, achievements & trophies require multiplayer.

That's really nice write up of his situation with the game really. This piece reveal how tricky it is in reviewing a game. Sometimes there is an underlying mechanic that can only discovered with careful playthrough. Sometimes hype and pre-release media and public atmosphere could really affect one's judgement.

I don't understand this though. This part right here.....

Up next is the fact that the more you play, the more you feel manipulated. You don't really find out until later that there's no way to earn all the Skill points you require simply by sticking to the single-player missions. Co-Op missions offer way more Skill points and while you can play them solo, they're quite difficult without allies. In order to open Initiate chests, you have to have a Uplay account; in order to open Nomad chests, you have to download (and extensively play) the Companion App; in order to see all the collectibles on the map, you have to use Helix points to snag Time Saver Packs. And as nobody can seem to figure out how to reliably earn Helix points, Ubisoft unsurprisingly asks you to pay for them. Prior to this game, viewpoints unlocked these collectibles and optional missions; now, viewpoints unlock less than half.

With the exception of not enough skill points, the rest of this you can find out VERY quickly after starting the game. A few hours into the game exposes how manipulative it is and then halfway through the game you find out the additional depth to this via the helix points and the skill points. I beat the game, and despite playing every AC in the series, this game convinced me to put the series down. I almost did it after ACIII but I enjoyed BF enough to give me a bit of hope in the series which they have destroyed very effectively.

Orca

He didn't need to play it 50 hours to realize it needed a Uplay account to unlock Nomad chests or that it had a ton of bugs.

Uhyve

Is there a publication or site out there that lists how long the journalist played the game in their reviews? It'd be pretty ballsy but I think people would appreciate it.

Mik2121

I still don't understand why people care so much about some of these reviews...

Also, some of the things he talks about are things you can notice in the first few hours of gameplay. But then again...

whether gamers don't understand this or don't wish to accept it, I don't know. And it's irrelevant, anyway.

How can you say something like that about gamers in a case like this, when gamers are your actual users? Oh man.

Orca

Good on this reviewer for taking a principled stand rather than just sweeping it under the rug and moving on like most did, honestly.

Did you actually read what he wrote?

"Now, in regards to my review, let me be clear: I stand by the sentiments of the review, although I must now retract the overall score. I will not issue a new review and I won't change that score.."

Where's the 'principled stand' in that?

Hoje0308

Banned
He didn't need to play it 50 hours to realize it needed a Uplay account to unlock Nomad chests or that it had a ton of bugs.

Yep, I noticed the bullshit Ubisoft manipulation attempts almost immediately. "Wanna open that chest? Download our app. Want access to all weapons and locations that we're advertising in-game? Buy the DLC. Oh wait, we botched this product so bad that we'll have to give that shit away now. At least that will keep the hardcore Ubisoft apologists happy. Which is great, because we really need those boot-licking supplicants to fly our flag in forums across the world."

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a publication or site out there that lists how long the journalist played the game in their reviews? It'd be pretty ballsy but I think people would appreciate it.

Honestly I think this is the way to go. With games getting larger (especially with open world ones) and having more side content, it's pretty much impossible for reviewers to play through that many games. Reviews should be honest about the amount of time they've spent on the games and how much of the game content that had actually seen. If the game is really bad I don't see why they should waste time completing it either. Just state this clearly in reviews. Of course dropping scores would also help. The other way would be to focus on reviewing less games but getting more indepth playthroughs and details.

He had five days to complete AC Unity's single-player campaign and enjoy the online play before embargo.

As another reviewer, I'd say you need to at least step in and do your best to finish a game and see as much content as possible prior to your review. That's not always possible, but you have to give it a good faith shot.

But his site is not my site.

Kotaku does. I generally list within the review how long it takes me to finish a game.

Jobbs

Banned
reviewers not playing or understanding games is how GOTY material like alien isolation gets its entire reputation ruined.

woen

Well he retracts his review after reading online really stupid or less stupid complains, that's not really """professional""" too.

Every job has its challenges, there's no excuse for poor reviewing. And the excuse given is a pretty bad one anyway.

It's as if the words goes straight thru your eyes and out your ass skipping the brain to process what you just read. Either that or lack any real world experiences that helps with your critical thinking skills.

NateDrake

He had five days to complete AC Unity's single-player campaign and enjoy the online play before embargo.

As another reviewer, I'd say you need to at least step in and do your best to finish a game and see as much content as possible prior to your review. That's not always possible, but you have to give it a good faith shot.

But his site is not my site.

Kotaku does. I generally list within the review how long it takes me to finish a game.

This is how I have approached my reviews. If I don't finish the game, I make mention that I didn't complete it and share how many hours I spent with the game. If I complete the game prior to review I will make note that I beat it, mention how hrs I spent playing the game, and may even list the number of trophies/achievements earned.

Mononoke

Banned
While I think this is good, it seems a little late. Wonder what made him change his mind now? Also the impact a review has is within the first month (in terms of any influence it might have consumers and shaping the games perception to the public).

This seems like he threw out a 9 without having played much of the game at all. Most of that stuff becomes clear way before the 50 hour mark, and I honestly don't get the point about stuff in the DLC pack not being in the base game. Of course it's not; they added it as DLC. What is he even talking about there?

I often wonder exactly how much of a game reviewers actually play before writing their glowing reviews, especially with something like Unity where the game was broken as fuuuuuck on release and still picked up 9s all over the place.

Mononoke

Banned
This seems like he threw out a 9 without having played much of the game at all. Most of that stuff becomes clear way before the 50 hour mark, and I honestly don't get the point about stuff in the DLC pack not being in the base game. Of course it's not; they added it as DLC. What is he even talking about there?

I often wonder exactly how much of a game reviewers actually play before writing their glowing reviews, especially with something like Unity where the game was broken as fuuuuuck on release and still picked up 9s all over the place.

I get that, a lot of reviews don't have the time to see all the content. But it's kind of strange to me to throw a 9 or 10 at a game you aren't really sure of. 9s and 10s should mean something on your site and hold weight.

Only two require actual MP

Revive a partner in Co-op.
Perform 10 Co-op sync kills.

Everything else can be done by yourself.

Annual series since 2010.
Dude, you're doing it again. Tag is well deserved.

Anyway, I'll make sure to avoid this guy's reviews in the future. If I'm buying a full game, I want to know how good the full game is.

smurfx

get some go again
so why should anybody take this guy's reviews seriously from now on? he is going to have the same time constraints and other problems when reviewing new games. can we really trust that he won't continue giving undeserved scores?

Ya know.... Id prefer a full on complete review of a game even if the review is published a bit after release, than all this bs that goes on to get clicks or appease companies

Top Bottom