• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller: No Buttons, No Sticks, All Touch Screen

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
And it's also possible to have the same controller ports as the GC (or if it's all wireless you have to use a wavebird). Half the people interested in BC seem to want it so they don't have a cluttered TV area, so they'll GC controllers already, and it's not like controllers cost that much for the rest who never owned a GC.

I could see it happening. Or it could just be what others have said, that the controller has the same buttons and more.

Ironclad

f_elz said:
Yes. BTW did you know they have touch screens which you can feel the buttons on?
Yeah, I remember going to a car show where they had a sound-system with a touch screen like that. It was rather interesting but I don't think it could simulate the resistance of a stick.

Mike Works said:
Not that I'm saying this is true, because I don't think it is, but wouldn't it be possible for a GC controller/button scheme layout to be programmed into the console and automated whenever a GC disc is put in the system?
I guess, but you can't map dual analog sticks. Or you'd be stupid to.

shit, we're all doomed.

goomba

Banned
I could've sworn that Iwata said they have no intention of making a dual screen system or controller like DS.

Quote:
Also amid speculation about the Revolution's features, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said, "We have no intention of making a two screen console akin to the DS."

http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php...date=2004-06-09

so, I suppose that does not rule out some form of touch screen in Revolution's controller, at least being one of the interfaces for control

"Q: Will Revolution feature screens on the console or the controller?

A: No. At a June 2004 analyst briefing in Japan, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said: We have no intention of making a two screen console akin to the [Nintendo] DS.""

http://cube.ign.com/articles/522/522559p1.html?fromint=1

No screen on the controller!.

3phemeral

goomba said:
"Q: Will Revolution feature screens on the console or the controller?

A: No. At a June 2004 analyst briefing in Japan, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said: We have no intention of making a two screen console akin to the [Nintendo] DS.""

http://cube.ign.com/articles/522/522559p1.html?fromint=1

No screen on the controller!.
Well, if you really want to get technical, he said "No intention of making a two screen console akin to the DS"

Eh, eh, eh? [nudge][nudge][wink][wink]

Mama Smurf

You know, I'm almost certain that there was some news a bit after that Iwata comment first came out that said it has been mistranslated slightly, but I cannot for the life of me remember how so. And it left open a small possibility for touchscreen controls.

Unless I'm just remembering an incredibly boring dream.

goomba

Banned
"Well, if you really want to get technical, he said "No intention of making a two screen console akin to the DS"

Thats right, but if there is a display on the tv and a display on the controller, how isnt that a two screen console?

impirius

3pheMeraLmiX said:
Well, if you really want to get technical, he said "No intention of making a two screen console akin to the DS"

Eh, eh, eh? [nudge][nudge][wink][wink]
Dude.

Maybe, like, the revolution is that is uses every TV in your HOUSE.

Whoa

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Mike Works said:
Not that I'm saying this is true, because I don't think it is, but wouldn't it be possible for a GC controller/button scheme layout to be programmed into the console and automated whenever a GC disc is put in the system?

Doable, but then it would have to have two touch screens, one to detect the left thumb's movement and the other for the right thumb's movement, as you can only have ONE dectable point on each touch screen. The point could be small or large covering one or more "software buttons" depending on how much of your thumb you press into the touch screen, but the touch screen technology can still ONLY detect one point at a time.

GI got this from the RUMOR that one of EA's boys e-mailed some dude saying there was a built-in flip-top touch screen in every Revolution controller...however, that still doesn't fit with what Nintendo has said about Revolution:
-new to gaming technology (DS already has a touch screen...it wouldn't be new)
-would be hard to present/convey to the public (how would a touch screen be hard to convey with the DS already being out there doing it?)
-Nintendo afraid of competitor's stealing ideas (again...the touch screen is ALREADY on the DS, if the competition was gonna "steal" that, we'd be hearing about it already)
...Nor does it take into account the side-effects of Nintendo doing such a move:
-upping the price of *each* controller (a sidebet touch screen tablet secondary controller...maybe...but as the "revolutionary" controller?)
-lowering the durrability of such a controller
-losing the sensation of pressing & depressing a button and feeling where a more physical stick or button would be a turn-off for players
-distracting gameplay (since you can't feel the buttons, you'd have to be constantly looking down at the touch screen to know what you're doing)
-loss of developement structure for controls for the game creators...they'd have to develope a game on the main screen as well as on the touch screen...doing so would be okay for here and there stuff...but not every aspect of how you control a game
-and of course the problem with using a touch screen is it can only detect one point at a time...and even then it can't detect pressure/sensitivity of presses

Totally bunk!

DrGAKMAN

Banned
goomba said:
"Well, if you really want to get technical, he said "No intention of making a two screen console akin to the DS"

Thats right, but if there is a display on the tv and a display on the controller, how isnt that a two screen console?

IGN/N-Sider took that out of the context. This was said when Mr. Iwata announced that the Revolution would be playable on TV's & PC monitors out of the box. Then the question arose about Nintendo possibly doing two screen gaming like the DS with Revolution. When Mr. Iwata answered that querry it was in reference to a TV screen *and* a PC monitor being used in conjunction *together* as a two screen set-up to which he said no.

He never specifically said there would be no screen on the controller however!

I don't know how many times I have to correct this. Not saying there will be a screen on the Revolution's controller, but Nintendo has never said there wouldn't be one on the controller either. In fact, I beleive Nintendo has been wanting to have a screen on the controller for a while now. Note the following:
-the notches on top of the N64 controller made for mounting something obviously...a possible screen perhaps
-the GameBoy intake peripheral for the N64 controller slot (came with PokeMon stadium) as a "phase 1" connectivity
-the leaked "Dolphin!" sketches featuring a controller with a prominant screen
-GBA/GCN connectivity
-the NDS basically having built-in connectivity
-believable rumors abound of the next GameBoy also using connectivity with Revolution
-other rumors about the Revolution controller having a screen built-in or an expansion slot for a screen to connect to

Either way...a screen (wether secondary, built-in or thru expansion) will NOT be the main revolutionary aspect of the Revolution's controller.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Touch screen sensor can only sense one touch at one time. See: PDAs, DS

Actually doesn't the new apple powerbook have a two input touch pad, so it is doable.

And the Sony Vaio pocket has a touch pad with buttons. It has raised bumps which act as number keys, and there is a synaptics touchpad underneath which acts as menu naviagation. So that could be done, giving you some tactile feedback. But I doubt you could put an LCD screen under there too.

I think having a DS style touch screen as *part* of a next-gen controller is a great idea. Perfect for multiplayer games. But you still need 'eyes free' controls for basic operations.

mrklaw said:
Actually doesn't the new apple powerbook have a two input touch pad, so it is doable.

And the Sony Vaio pocket has a touch pad with buttons. It has raised bumps which act as number keys, and there is a synaptics touchpad underneath which acts as menu naviagation. So that could be done, giving you some tactile feedback. But I doubt you could put an LCD screen under there too.

I think having a DS style touch screen as *part* of a next-gen controller is a great idea. Perfect for multiplayer games. But you still need 'eyes free' controls for basic operations.
yeah i think theres at least a few major differences in touch screen and touch pad technology, that makes it much easier for the pad to have multiple inputs. but again, thats in a laptop where the added price isn't too much to worry about, whereas extra controllers for say $50 wouldn't exactly fly if that were to be the case.

Nah never gonna happen.

I don't think it would make games any easier to play either.

The thing about the DS is you can touch the game screen itself, but touching a flat sensor isn't really any different from a regular controller.

Not to mention, you'd have to be looking down at the touch panel to make sure you're pressing the right button, since you'd have no tactile sense of touch.

I have a Sony touch screen remote control, but you can't just slide your finger around the touch screen without looking down at it to know what the hell it is you're pressing.

If you really thought about the logistics of it ... no way would this ever work.

Louis

Mike Works said:

Maybe the Revolution uses the same controllers ports as the Gamecube so that you can plug in old controllers ?

Mama Smurf

IGN/N-Sider took that out of the context. This was said when Mr. Iwata announced that the Revolution would be playable on TV's & PC monitors out of the box. Then the question arose about Nintendo possibly doing two screen gaming like the DS with Revolution. When Mr. Iwata answered that querry it was in reference to a TV screen *and* a PC monitor being used in conjunction *together* as a two screen set-up to which he said no.

Oh thank god, someone knew what I was talking about.

There's just SO much going against touchscreen Revolution controllers that I can't see it happening. Even a screen which isn't in place of the buttons, but in addition to them, surely can't be viable. Just the cost of it. Unless Nintendo are willing to take the hit on the controllers/have completely lost their minds.

Louis said:
Maybe the Revolution uses the same controllers ports as the Gamecube so that you can plug in old controllers ?

I personally think Nintendo will design their main controller however they want with no regard for the GameCube pad at all.

Then they will either include a secondary GameCube-type controller or possibly none at all. The backwards compatibility is probably more of just a safety net to ensure that their existing GameCube fanbase moves on to the Revolution (and that fanbase would already have a GameCube controller).

If Nintendo has some great idea for the Revolution controller, I doubt they're going to can it because they need to make the controller ideal for GameCube games also. The GameCube simply isn't that successful of a platform.

Fowler

mrklaw said:

The new Powerbook's trackpad isn't quite dual input -- it's either one finger or two, and the two can't be separated -- you have to keep them next to each other when you drag your fingers around. That's a little different from having your finger on two different points at the same time -- again, anyone with a trackpad can attest to what happens when you stick your finger on two different parts of the pad.

DCX

DCX
This would be to much for gamers, having to learn different layouts each game? will they offer a wrap for the controller so we can see what inputs are being offered for the game? a see through wrap...with outlines maybe...i don't know sounds cool, but so have 1000 millions ideas until actually developed.

DCX

if Nintendo goes ahead with this touch screen controller type,, I will abstein from jumping on the Revolution

Of coarse I got a feeling that such move is a little too risky to be true, since kids are brutish with their controllers and hardware durability has to pass the test of rough kids (and adults).

This fighting game/arcade fan misa thinks dat touch screen is bad poodoo

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
If this news is true, I will laugh at how stupid Nintendo is, watch the forums explode with insults and then worry about what could happen to Nintendo because of the stupid idea.

For some reason, i have a feeling that it could be true, but then Im think that Nintendo cant possibly expect people to learn the controller configuration for each game.

The End

Deductive reasoning says that the controller will be similar to the wavebird, but will have a tilt sensor inside.

Kon Tiki

Banned
he touch screen on the face of the controller is designed to be fully customizable. So, the developer can configure the buttons any way they se4e fit, instead opting for virtual levers or other stylus-related inputs.*”

Touch screen only has one point of contact.

Why you even post this shit?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Mike Works said:

Are touch screens responsive enough to play say... a fighting game on?

Society said:
Touch screen only has one point of contact.

Why you even post this shit?

???

jett

D-Member
Man, I'd like to think that Nintendo isn't capable of this horrid design choice, but I wouldn't put it past them.

shibbs

I got this of a dutch site, not sure if its true (probably not). So i wont bother making a whole new thread for it.

They say somebody who works at Nintendo's R&D deparment posted it on the official Nintendo forum.

22421.jpg

This is suppose to be the alpha build of the Revolution

Some "ahum" facts:
- the discs are put in the same way as the gamecube
- the discs are bigger than the gamecube discs, still not as big as CD/DVD's
- wireless controllers
- LSD screen on the console like the Panasonic Q
- component out, optical audio and 2 ethernet ports
- wifi build in

http://www.dsparty.nl/nieuws/item/13715/

Kon Tiki

Banned
In een reactie deelde iemand ons mee dat dit een vervroegde 1 april grap is. Dit is te lezen op deze site. Bedankt voor het melden.

I think that mean you are banned.

BuddyC said:
Someone missed the joke.
heh, I actually typed in LSD screen in google looking for that pic too.

Top Bottom