• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Banned
XMonkey said:
Your game is old, Drinky.

*awaits witty response*
OLD LIKE REMOTE CONTROL

fortified_concept said:
When Drinky and Raoul write so many posts dissing Nintendo, you know that Nintendo did something great. Don't get me wrong guys, I admire you as persons and I have absolutely no problem with you especially since Sony is my favorite too, but you gotta admit: What Nintendo did here is ingenious.

No, I am honestly baffled. This is like Ted Kennedy getting up in the middle of the Roberts hearings and dropping trou- not entirely unexpected, but not the route any really sane person would have gone.

Diffense

GDGF said:
The people who are truely trolling Nintendo in this thread are the people who always troll Nintendo - the people who would have trolled no matter what was shown. Business as usual.

The biggest indicator of the controller's success is the stream of WTF/I don't get it/Wait a sec/ It's brilliant realizations that are popping up left and right (and the mad props Nintendo are getting by the press and dev community from this thing)

People with their eyes open know a revolution when they see it.

I agree, their opinions have little credibility because they seem like trained automatons spouting prefabricated flamebait. It's hard to take people seriously when you don't even know if they believe themselves.

Nintendogs wasn't any sort of a win for gamers, unless you're one of the few manchildren big into watching canned animation loops triggered by spastic stylus gestures. It was a WIN for Nintendo, though, since they managed to bring an audience that doesn't buy games but will shell out maybe $100/year tops for interactive screensavers and crosswords. Hey, if you want your console catalog to cater to those folks: be my guest! After all, I'm the one who actually LIKES games!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Thought this thread would be a better place for bishoptl's comment :)

bishoptl said:
Wow. That's not at all what I was expecting...and that's a very good thing indeed. Never thought I'd say this, but I'm really excited to see what experiences developers can come up with to support the controller.

My gf isn't really into games that much. The only game I was able to convince her to try out longer than 10 minutes was Lumines (although I didn't get my PSP back for 3 hours, but that's another story). She did, however, get into Samba de Amigo on a coworker's Dreamcast in a big way, and so did her game-hating girlfriends. I can see her enjoying Revolution's gaming experiences in a very similar manner - natural controls are the best way to get non-gamers into gaming, and as mentioned earlier, these are the kind of experiences that normally you only get in the arcade. Colour me surprised and interested in picking up a Revolution now...and that's not something I would have said yesterday.

Well done, Nintendo.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
with Drinky and Roaul tag team trolling watch this thread goes to 1,000 replies by tomorrow morning. and I loves it.

Tellaerin

raYne said:
Apparently you'll be Link since you have to make the sword motions yourself now.

Great, more ammo for crackpots like Jack Thompson. At least with a traditional gamepad, you can make the argument that the player's actions aren't really 'training' them to do anything in real life, since they're just moving around a stick and pressing buttons. What happens when Nintendo games start requiring the player to kill things by pantomiming stabbing and slashing motions, or brace and hold the controller to shoot at targets (and compensate for the realistic recoil)? :p

PkunkFury

Zilch said:
Sounds difficult. But if using a normal controller for all these functions didn't do it for you, I guess you can look forward to the Revolution.

How the hell can I control the camera in a 3d action/adventure/platformer with this controller? Nintendo's fucked itself IMO.

Really it is the same as controlling regular Zelda except the controller is in 2 places. If you want, you could replace what I said about waving the remote to swing weapons with "tap A button" and add open doors/talk to the roll button. Then it is the same layout as gamecube. Only difference is camera control would end up going to waving the wand I guess.

teiresias

GDGF said:
Yeah, and Nintendogs won't sell either :lol

This Nintendogs argument is ridiculous, because Nintendo's going to have to have alot of REAL games that take advantage of this control scheme to get me to buy one. If all the Rev library contains is a myriad of mini-game collections, pet simulators, and lawyer games then I'm going nowhere near it. The japanese can keep there "non-games" I have no use for them.

Krowley

border said:
How is it "suited to" FPS games when there's such a small number of buttons? Crouch, zoom, jump, fire, and alt-fire are pretty much standard for the genre now, and that already exceeds the number of quickly-accessible buttons. Like the DS's less conventional scheme, it seems more suited to "games that exist only in your imagination for right now."

D-pad... it covers most of those things much better than they are coverd on current controllers...

crouch for example.. in halo, it is clicking the stick, on the rev it would be pushing down on the d-pad... much more intuitive. cycling weapons would be as simple as right and left on the pad.. alt fire could be up, or it could use one of the triggers on the left attachment.

edit/ it seems that with the slow speed of the forums and all that, i'm way behind the times LOL... anyway, i think it is pretty clearly demonstrated that there are enough buttons for an FPS game.

raYne

Zilch said:
How the hell can I control the camera in a 3d action/adventure/platformer with this controller? Nintendo's fucked itself IMO.
Tlt remote forward camera moves up, tilt remote back camera moves down (or vice versa if inverted). Turn/rotate remote left or right to pan left or right. No big deal....

The problem it that it's probably going to be a pain in the ass to keep it centered since you have to keep your hand still. :lol

Alcibiades

Red Scarlet said:
The lack of buttons kinda sucks for SNES games..and the lack of buttons on the basic controller overall really seems like a step back.

I don't know how true it is, but according to GameIndustry.biz:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=11573

[b"Another device which will connect to the expansion port is a more traditionally designed controller, which will allow players to control the Nintendo back catalogue titles which the Revolution can play."[/b]

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I'm not gonna say "wow" I'm just gonna say BOY...where to begin!?!

I really don't know what to think as I like some aspects of this idea, yet loath some others of it 'cos I know I have better ideas for it. I would like to point out first of all that in my many posts/theories/ddodles I was right about a couple of things:
1) They wanted to reduce the number of thumb possitions
2) They wanted a controller that could be held in a variety of ways
3) They wanted to make the D-PAD more primary again
4) They were afraid to show it 'cos it looks TOO dumbed down

Not saying I was right in a na-na-na-boo-boo sort of way, but I was right on those points. And what do all those points have in common...they're all benificial to the look & feel of the non-gamer. This is who Nintendo's been going after all along. And ultimatly with it's one-handed design and familiar remote control feel they've done just that...and I think alot of casual, drop-out & non-gamers will EAT THIS UP! Add to this everyday hand gestures & motions that we all can understand thanks to it's 3D spacial recognition and it truly is a controller that's catered to the non-gmaing masses.

My gripe is, that I think they could've been a lil' bit more functional and a bit more ergonomic in it's design. It should be noted that this is not the final controller design and Nintendo is still toying with attachments and such for it so I resserve judgement. However, I drew up (in a past design) a bone-shaped controller that could also be held in a variety of ways (like a gun/remote control or traditionally like a normal controller). Basically the idea was to take a NES "bone" controller (the newer NES redesign came with this controller) and hold it like a gun (or remote) vertically instead of horizontally. The idea was to fit one controller into each hand to give more free-range movement thanks to dual gyro motion control. It's said that this Revolution "remote-controller" can do this too and/or have an attachment that adds this sort of function. Two more gripes though: 1-With an attachment, they're still sorta tethered together making it less practical to use. 2-There's only 4 wireless channels basically reducing the ammount of players when one players uses 2 "remote-controllers".

I like the simplicity, I like that Nintendo is breaking the trends and traditions they created, but with the above gripes plus nothing new to help with keeping it functional & simple (iPod click wheel, toggle wheel, trackball, jogball, microphone, etc.) I'm a bit dissappointed. Again, the design isn't completly done yet, plus there could be later attachments to add such things...but I was hoping for more function, more ergonomics and more than just 4 player channels.

One this is for sure, it doesn't look like a toy, which is one step in the right dirrection...in fact I think it looks very "adult" and more serious. Not just serious in a cool way, but also in that I could see OLD relatives of mine (who still consider video games as toys) using this and not thinking of it as a game controller, but more an "interactive entertainment remote"! I think the whole "game wand" feel of it could also be used as an arcade joystick for retro gaming as well.

What I'm hoping for is a "basic controller" design in much the same look/feel of this "remote controller" as to phase out the GCN pad for traditional games. This could be something to use seperatly or with the more simplistic "game wand" design of the "remote-controller".

To those complaining about fighting games...ya know, serious fighting gamers buy official arcade sticks or pads anyways. And to those worried about ports from other systems...f*ck that, seriously, how many games were once GCN exclussives just to be ported months later despite how well it did or did not sell. With Revolution, an exclussive game made for the system would ultimatly stay exclussive 'cos they couldn't be done on the other 2 systems. Ports from other systems could be a problem, but if they're not willing to do a legit Revolution version of a game (that takes advantage of the new control scheme) than f*ck 'em!

GDGF

Soothsayer
teiresias said:
This Nintendogs argument is ridiculous, because Nintendo's going to have to have alot of REAL games that take advantage of this control scheme to get me to buy one. If all the Rev library contains is a myriad of mini-game collections, pet simulators, and lawyer games then I'm going nowhere near it. The japanese can keep there "non-games" I have no use for them.

I just said that to show how off Drinky can be in what gamers do and don't want. Don't worry. There will be regular games too (just as there are for the NDS)

As long as the Revolution allows the GC controller, or perhaps a new version of it to play some of the more traditional games, this new controller by Nintendo is absolutely brilliant. This is exactly what I thought Nintendo should do. As a gamer, what's not to like about this move? Even if the "remote controller" turns out to be a gimmick, which it likely won't be, you still have the standard controller to fall back on as a failsafe. The 360 controller is hardly any different than the original X-Box. The PS3 controller doesn't appear to be that different from a dualshock at this point. So again, what's with the negativity towards Nintendo's approach? Worse case scenario, you're back to playing games like you have been for the past 10 years. Best case scenario, you'll have an entirely new, and hopefully better, way to play certain genres and maybe even something you've never seen before.

And on the business side of things, I don't know how easy it is to replicate the technology they're using and I wonder if we'll see any sort of third party remote controller. I mean, this isn't just some piece of plastic with buttons. They got sensors and gyroscopes and voodoo and all sorts of magical shit inside this thing. Nintendo stands to make a lot of money on the controllers and the eventual add-ons. I think it'll also be very interesting what MS and Sony's response will be if this thing takes off. Because if we see anything like this during either the PS3 or 360's lifespan, they would be blatantly copying off of Nintendo's idea. This ain't like analog control, which would have came inevitably. This thing is completely off the wall.

And before I forget, WOW!

Last I checked, every Nintendogs anecdote has focused on what NON-GAMERS want -- or at least a very miniscule percentage of them in the 500K area -- rather than what gamers want, since no self-respecting gamer has bought or would buy Nintendogs. True, a few of the Nintendo devout, their bloated little bellies bursting with Iwata's Kool-Aid, have likewise made pals with their stylus-powered animation routines of choice, but they were never really into gaming after the PSOne took over.

in the US, they apparently want PSP! *Toby Keith plays, flag waves*

AniHawk said:
So I saw the video, and I'm clueless as to how this'll work for many western games (Madden, Tony Hawk, NBA games, etc).

It just seems like a blown up DS. Wand = Stylus.

This will be the last Nintendo console.

hey Ea thinks it will work well for their sport titles.

"Game control is essential - it's the area where perhaps the most game-play improvement can be made," said John Schappert, Sr. Vice President and General Manager of Electronic Arts Canada. "While our portfolio represents a full array of titles across all genres, I think our sports titles might be the first to immediately take advantage of what this novel 'freehand' type of control has to offer."

cube.ign.com

Diffense

DS has shorter gimmicky games because it's a handheld. GB had plently of those too. One of the most popular was tetris. DS also has some pretty substantial games that make use of some of its features (Mario and Luigi and Castlevania for example).

I think it's funny that this totally levels the playing field. All our hardcore experience mashing buttons will be of no use. We'll be n00bs again.

Truly a revolution...lol.

Odysseus

Banned
The optimism of Nintendo fans continues to amaze. Good luck to you next generation, because you are all alone. Whatever's left of you.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Alcibiades said:
darnit!

"Another device which will connect to the expansion port is a more traditionally designed controller, which will allow players to control the Nintendo back catalogue titles which the Revolution can play."
Well? That's good news, imo. That means normal games would work.

Man... I can hardly imagine how smart Nintendo is. It's just incredible. There were just so many fakes and none of them had it right. A frickin' remote control. Jesus.

Faith in Nintendo +1

Also, there was this fake and it looked a lot like that analog stick add-on thing. So at least someone with a fake did have the controller right, but only partially.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Thank god i decided to sleep in. Waking up would have been a big mistake. I honestly cant see where Nintendo is going with that. how exactly can you play sport games on a fucking remote control!?! this is great for people new to gaming and for those that want to play a game for a few minutes, but Im not really interested in that, I still want normal games. before I continue ranting, will there be a normal controller?

Error

DrGAKMAN said:
To those complaining about fighting games...ya know, serious fighting gamers buy official arcade sticks or pads anyways.
totally agreed with you on that one who the fuck call himself a fighting games fan and not have a arcade stick?

Odysseus

Banned
God's Hand said:
My God. Wow. I finally got my smile back. :)

It's quotes like this one that make me think Drinky was right earlier when he said that Nintendo fans don't actually like games since it takes idiotic gimmicks like Nintendogs and remote controls to get them excited again.

Flynn

I love the controller's potential to woo non-gamers.

Civillians cringe when you hand them a two handed controller. Almost nobody refuses the remote. In a purely psychological sense this is an ingenius move on Nintendo's part.

I honestly believe that these guys are batting for the future of gaming. They're trying to stem the medium's gradual slide into the geek ghetto by re-welcoming everyone into the fold. It may not work, and it may not please the more unimaginative of our numbers, but it's sure going to be interesting.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Drinky Crow said:
Last I checked, every Nintendogs anecdote has focused on what NON-GAMERS want -- or at least a very miniscule percentage of them in the 500K area -- rather than what gamers want, since no self-respecting gamer has bought or would buy Nintendogs. True, a few of the Nintendo devout, their bloated little bellies bursting with Iwata's Kool-Aid, have likewise made pals with their stylus-powered animation routines of choice, but they were never really into gaming after the PSOne took over.

in the US, they apparently want PSP! *Toby Keith plays, flag waves*

And just as their tears give you strength, your angst gives me laughs :)

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
DJ Brannon said:
This looks to be interesting. Star Wars fans will definitely love it, and I need say no more than that.
The system needs a mic, so that I can turn my lightsaber on by making the sound effect for it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
IGN said:
Also, if you're wondering, there's no set limit on the distance one can use the remote yet, but Nintendo has tested it on up to 80"-100" screens and says it works fantastically. It can be used on tubes, LCDs, plasma, projection or any kind of screen because the sensor is connected like a flat antenna under the display. They are still working on the details of what kinds of options users will have for placement. So, there's also no reason HDTV wouldn't work with this technology -- here's hoping Nintendo decides to support it in the final system.

So do you need to put someone on your TV or on your Display?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Drinky Crow said:
Nintendogs wasn't any sort of a win for gamers, unless you're one of the few manchildren big into watching canned animation loops triggered by spastic stylus gestures. It was a WIN for Nintendo, though, since they managed to bring an audience that doesn't buy games but will shell out maybe $100/year tops for interactive screensavers and crosswords. Hey, if you want your console catalog to cater to those folks: be my guest! After all, I'm the one who actually LIKES games!

Cater to or accepting of? Do I not still get Castlevania on my DS? Do I still not get to play another one on my Xbox or PS2 if I fucking want? Jesus Christ, we are floating in a pool of pure options, and you've only moved on from rabid fanboyism attacking to pure lunacy.

Tellaerin

Diffense said:
I think it's funny that this totally levels the playing field. All our hardcore experience mashing buttons will be of no use. We'll be n00bs again.

Explain to me why this is supposed to be a good thing.

Merlin

Banned
It looks great. I think a lot of 1st party GameCube software showed Nintendo's bored of making traditional games and this will really spark their creativity. Should do very well with non-gamers too, if they can get some Nintendogs type software on it, not to mention things like Mario Brothers.

And it's suddenly looking very likely we'll get a new Pilotwings!! :D :D

Uh, oh... really, really strange. It seems interesting, but it goes in the completely opposite direction from my gaming needs: my ideal "future controller" is something that lets me immerse my mind in a game by moving the less muscles as possible (today only fingers, one day who knows).

However, it's so original that I'll have to buy it, but I think its use will be quite limited between all the next-gen consoles...

Odysseus

Banned
Flynn said:
I love the controller's potential to woo non-gamers.

Civillians cringe when you hand them a two handed controller. Almost nobody refuses the remote. In a purely psychological sense this is an ingenius move on Nintendo's part.

I honestly believe that these guys are batting for the future of gaming. They're trying to stem the medium's gradual slide into the geek ghetto by re-welcoming everyone into the fold. It may not work, and it may not please the more unimaginative of our numbers, but it's sure going to be interesting.

Are you out of your mind? Non-gamers being interested in this?

Time to grow a clue: Non-gamers aren't going to care about games, it doesn't matter what you throw at them. Either they are inclined to play or they aren't. And if they ever do get involved, it will be with what is popular, not with what is gimmicky. You want the market to grow? Enjoy your PS3.

Kioku, and look how well Castlevania is selling! Man, having those non-gamers buy a DS sure makes it great for the real gamers, eh?

Error

Odysseus said:
It's quotes like this one that make me think Drinky was right earlier when he said that Nintendo fans don't actually like games since it takes idiotic gimmicks like Nintendogs and remote controls to get them excited again.
so a person that wants something different is now a none-gamer?

Odysseus

Banned
Error2k4 said:
so a person that wants something different is now a none-gamer?

This isn't something new, it is something stupid that is destined to fail hardcore. Revolution is DOA in America and I think everyone knows it.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Tellaerin said:
Explain to me why this is supposed to be a good thing.

Learning a new control scheme (as long as it is pretty intutitve, and judging by hands on reports this seems to be) is always fun. Were you ever an arcade goer? Remember when a new fighting game would come out, and everyone would rush to it at once, scrambling to be the best on the block? It was a blast.

Yep, because gaming has been fuckin' STELLAR these last 10 years under the Sony Administration, and even the ol' Xduder has been bringin' the hits in.

The point is that good game design doesn't depend on control gimmicks, and the folks who DO look to gimmicks to stave their flagging sense of entertainment probably haven't been into games these last years for reasons of personal pride and company loyalty rather than, I dunno, A LOVE OF THE MEDIUM.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Odysseus said:
The optimism of Nintendo fans continues to amaze. Good luck to you next generation, because you are all alone. Whatever's left of you.
:lol :lol
bumpkin said:
OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD. Are you shitting me?

Someone please tell me this is a joke... Please?
Let it sink in... let it sink in!!1

GDGF

Soothsayer
Drinky Crow said:
Kioku, and look how well Castlevania is selling! Man, having those non-gamers buy a DS sure makes it great for the real gamers, eh?

Castlevania doesn't have selling power anymore. It would have done worse on the PSP (just as G&G is sure to bomb there, but certainly you know this already)

Now Jump Super Stars is a different story entirely!

Raw64life

Alcibiades said:
darnit!

"Another device which will connect to the expansion port is a more traditionally designed controller, which will allow players to control the Nintendo back catalogue titles which the Revolution can play."

Excellent. This just made me feel a whole lot better about Revolution. This made me realize that, if they wanted to and hopefully will do, they could just make a traditional controller that attaches to the remote so you don't need to use the remote at all to play a game. Hopefully they'll make a more traditional controller to attach and market it big time so that 3rd parties will be enticed to release their games on Rev.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom