• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Haha, oh man, drinky crow is really cracking me up.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Drinky Crow said:
Yep, because gaming has been fuckin' STELLAR these last 10 years under the Sony Administration, and even the ol' Xduder has been bringin' the hits in.

The point is that good game design doesn't depend on control gimmicks, and the folks who DO look to gimmicks to stave their flagging sense of entertainment probably haven't been into games these last years for reasons of personal pride and company loyalty rather than, I dunno, A LOVE OF THE MEDIUM.

Of course it's a moral failure in someone else if they don't agree with your assessment. :lol

Seriously, we get it: you've got a lot invested in your online persona. That's great.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Mallrat83 said:
What did Hideo Kojima say about the controller? Anyone else notworthy that wasn't listed in IGN's news story?

Just this.

kojima's statment about the controller,

Iwata also presented a select number of Japanese developers to discuss their feelings related to the controller - most notably Konami's Hideo Kojima, creator of the Metal Gear series, who told the audience that his initial reaction to the controller was simply to exclaim, "You've done it!"

"Even though it was a surprise to me at first, I quickly understood how it should be used," he commented. "This is exactly what I was looking for."

wow, it looks cool but em.... will it have games.

A huge library of games is the only thing that will make people accept this type of controller.

oh and where the hell are the specs?

Guess I'll be playing my PS3 a lot more than this.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
little photoshop I just made. Make it happen Ninty.

I want to swap the big A button and the d-pad and make the big A an analog stick. then you have two different gameplay configs simply by flipping the controller around instead of an attachment. This set up lets you dual weild in double "wand" double analog formats and double "wand" double button setups.

hold it classic style for an snes pad fuck the n64

I am to tired to finish it now so :p

revocon.jpg

Mallrat83 said:
What did Hideo Kojima say about the controller? Anyone else notworthy that wasn't listed in IGN's news story?

kojima curtesy of gamingindustry.biz

Iwata also presented a select number of Japanese developers to discuss their feelings related to the controller - most notably Konami's Hideo Kojima, creator of the Metal Gear series, who told the audience that his initial reaction to the controller was simply to exclaim, "You've done it!"

"Even though it was a surprise to me at first, I quickly understood how it should be used," he commented. "This is exactly what I was looking for."

Future

Heh, they're trying to turn what usually qualifies as a peripheral in the main controller. Because that's the only way any dev not on crack will actually try to design a game around it. :lol

It actually all makes sense in a OMG I'M ON ACID!!! sorta way. Two handed controllers are "too complicated" so they wanted to design a controller around using one hand. And I can't really imagine a one handed controller designed any better. It has the simplest navigation tool ever: just move your hand to move. Any more buttons on a one handed controller would be a hassle to use, the d-pad allows for simple menu navigation without using the sensors, and it looks long enough to use the d-pad with one hand and use the buttons with the other. It has attachments that could make it more complicated if need be (like that analogue stick thing).

But this is gonna be like the Dual Screens on the DS, in that there will probably be some cool ideas not possible on any other system with this controller, but most games will just use the gimmicky device as what people think it is: a gimmick. Have you waving that controller like an idiot doing something that would probably be easier, maybe even SIMPLER, on a standard controller.

But it IS different. And it's good that they weren't talking shit all this time like they did when they introduced the gamecube with a supposedly innovative controllers that consisted of only buttons shaped differently and a analogue click that maybe 3 games used.

But whatever you think about this design, their ass is saved by keeping compatability with the gamecube controller. And if it's compatable with that, then it's compatable with any type of game that is one the GameCube right now, and any other type of standard controller they may design down the road. Making this remote control standard in the box just means that every Revolution owner will have it, ensuring that games will in fact be made for its use. Which actually IS a cool idea......once you stop laughing :p

HAHAHAHHA AWESOME.

Everything I'd hoped to be honest. Fresh. New. Expandable.

I honestly don't know how any gamers interest could not be piqued right now. Games will genuinely play differently. For some games it will be good, for some it will be bad, but damn at least its a change. And its only an option. If you want what we've already got you can upgrade to 360 / PS3.

But for some of us? The Revolution purchase has never been more certain.

Triumph

Banned
ThunderEmperor said:
kojima curtesy of gamingindustry.biz

OMG IS OFFICIAL MGS5 FOR REV
SONY AM FUCK TOTAL

ThunderEmperor said:
ign, gamepsot, 1-up, edge all stated the respone was great and need light wrist flicks they also stated that it felt better than FPS controls on PC.

If they are trustworthy, it would be quite a surprise.

The nature of gyros just not make it likely though (inertia).

Timen

revolution-controller-the-possibilities-20050915064634792.jpg

Mario Kart FTW

Shogmaster said:

There are sensors you have to put on your screen so i guess no gyros?

bummyhead

scola said:
little photoshop I just made. Make it happen Ninty.

I want to swap the big A button and the d-pad and make the big A an analog stick. then you have two different gameplay configs simply by flipping the controller around instead of an attachment. This set up lets you dual weild in double "wand" double analog formats and double "wand" double button setups.

hold it classic style for an snes pad fuck the n64

I am to tired to finish it now so :p

revocon.jpg

That design improves things imensely. I mean, don't get it? Why is Nintendo obsessed with having less buttons? Do they think we gamers are that stupid?

I've got to say it, I waned Nintendo to come back. And I love my DS, and I do like Nintendogs as much as any Traditional game, but dammit, I have to say I think Nintendo is losing touch MORE and more each generation starting with the N64. In fact and this point it almsot hard not to think the NES and SNES were flukes.

Nop, I am afraid I have got to say, that unless I see some actual big name game demos soon, my excitmenet about revolution is gone completely, and I may be finally go over to sony land so I can play RPGs again.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Shogmaster said:

It honestly doesn't sound like they are using gyros.

Besides, I'm sure if Nintendo ran into these problems when designing the controller (and I'm sure they did) they would not have gone through with it if they couldn't find a solution that worked.

edit - tired

Ruzbeh

Banned
"Firstly, we face the reality that within one family there are people willing to pick up a game controller, and those who would never touch one," he said. "Anyone will pick up a TV remote control, but not necessarily a game controller. Why is this?"

"We thought it was the requirement of moving right and left fingers separately and nimbly that was creating a psychological barrier," Iwata continued. "To expand the gaming population, it was needed for us to design a pad so that any family member would see it on the living room table, think that this was something relevant to them and pick it up."

"For the controller to be placed on the table at all, we had to make it compact - I believe that this will be possible for this controller. Also, just like a TV remote control, it can be manipulated with one hand."
Wow... clever. :D

Diffense

I'm curious about how the attachments are going to work.
Will there be a standard set from Nintendo? I'd think so. Analog stick, microphone, LCD or Gameboy adapter and an attachment for second wand come to mind right away.

I guess this is what Miyamoto meant some time ago when he said that they hadn't yet decided on the controller's full feature-set.

I had guarded expectations but

Nintendo delivered.

To bed.

diff

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Shogmaster said:

:lol for real?

ThunderEmperor said:
kojima's statment about the controller,

from http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=11573

I am expecting great things from kojima with the rev. :D :lol

Holy mother of God! I haven't been this excited about a console since when I first opened my NES.

I'm worried about whether or not it will play well on HDTVs (especially with Nintendo being all anti-HDTV and all), considering lightguns+HDTV=Disaster:(

Error2k4 said:
courtesy of GDJustin

nintendonesrev.jpg
Cool pic. Just reminds me that maybe the extreme backward compatibility for this console is due to the fact that if this shit blows up in Nintendo's face they can always revert back to nostalgia to lure in gamers.

Acrylamid

I don't know if anyone has noticed this (maybe it was already mentioned in this thread...) but in the video from ign, you can see that the little buttons aren't called a and b, but x and y (at 1:51).

bummyhead

Acrylamid said:
I don't know if anyone has noticed this (maybe it was already mentioned in this thread...) but in the video from ign, you can see that the little buttons aren't called a and b, but x and y (at 1:52).

There should be four of them, and they should be called a,b,x and y,

Two buttons is stupid. Especially if Nintendo really intends for games from every Nintendo system to be plyable of revolution.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Synbios459 said:
I'm worried about whether or not it will play well on HDTVs (especially with Nintendo being all anti-HDTV and all), considering lightguns+HDTV=Disaster:(

It doesn't use lightgun tech at all, so yes, it will work on HDTVs.

Synbios459 said:
Why do people keep bringing this up? It's not a light gun, its "like" a light gun in that you can point at things with it. It has that sensor on the front to point at the sensor you put in front of your tv for when you control it as a pointer, and its supposed to also have the digi-gyro control technology like in Wario ware for all the rotating and turning and such.

and all of the shots show it being used on a freakin HDTV anyway!

Slayven

Yeah, I will wait for the price drop. I got a feeling mingame collections will be the norm and i don't like minigames

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
going to sleep now, wow what a night MGS4 trailer, suikoden 1&2 port for PSP and the Revolution controller which completely schocked and surprised me in a very good way. :)

It was a good night to be a gaming fan.

CO_Andy

So this thing will have a motion sensor like the Police 911 game? Amazing...

I'm intrigued by the idea of interchangeable parts.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Synbios459 said:
BTW, whatever happened to that one guy that said he saw it, and it looked like a wavebird:lol
Oh yeah, I wanted to post about that. Teddman said the prototype was just a wavebird with a diamond-shape button lay-out.

You lied Teddman!!!!!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it's another spastic physical controller in the tradition of the power glove, the u-force, the activator, that mo-cap boxing arcade game, or the eyetoy. it seems to be exactly the same controller as the dreamcast fishing reel or that onimusha 3 sword contraption. now...mo-cap boxing is worth dropping a few quarters in. but flailing around isn't such an appealing control method to begin with, and it depreciates fast. would you want to build a console around a controller like that? considering that nintendo has shown neither a revolution game nor a revolution demo with any potential to become a game, i don't understand all the optimism here.

...unless of course everyone else loved the u-force and it was just my christmas it ruined.

sammy

Acrylamid said:
I don't know if anyone has noticed this (maybe it was already mentioned in this thread...) but in the video from ign, you can see that the little buttons aren't called a and b, but x and y (at 1:51).

True, in the video the buttons are labled as X and Y --- and also double-labled with 'a' and 'b' next to the button 0_o confusing

border

drohne said:
...unless of course everyone else loved the u-force and it was just my christmas it ruined.
Is this just rhetoric or did you have a childhood Christmas actually ruined by th U-Force's crappiness?

**remembers playing Gyromite with ROB one Dec. 25 morning and cries**

Flynn

Odysseus said:
Are you out of your mind? Non-gamers being interested in this?

Time to grow a clue: Non-gamers aren't going to care about games, it doesn't matter what you throw at them. Either they are inclined to play or they aren't. And if they ever do get involved, it will be with what is popular, not with what is gimmicky. You want the market to grow? Enjoy your PS3.

All this LOVE OF THE MEDIUM stuff reminds me of hardline comic book readers, who think that the beginning and end of comic books is guys in tights. Broad mainstream appeal, like the breadth of Manga readership, requires more accessablility and more diverse content. Right now gaming has neither.

90% of games are about a)soldiers b)sports figures c)fantasy characters. And the control schemes are all overly complicated. Give game designers buttons and they'll use them. Pychonauts, a game I loved, used nearly every button on the Xbox controller -- for a platformer.

I've argued this before, but there's a distinct possibility that gaming is going down the same path of other geek mediums, such as comic books. It's not hard to forsee a future where gaming becomes so complicated and so mired in adolecent fantasy, that no one but the most devoted are interested in participating.

Nintendo's efforts here are a valiant one. I guess I sort of understand the reaction from the haters here. They're taking the conservative stance, for preserving the status quo of graphical upgrades and production values.

I think there's room for both Nintendo's direction and the now-traditional approach.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
border said:
Is this just rhetoric or did you have a childhood Christmas actually ruined by th U-Force's crappiness?

biographical fact. I NEVER ASKED FOR THAT SHIT! :(

Deku

Banned
Flynn said:
I've argued this before, but there's a distinct possibility that gaming is going down the same path of other geek mediums, such as comic books. It's not hard to forsee a future where gaming becomes so complicated and so mired in adolecent fantasy, that no one but the most devoted are interested in participating.

In Japan it already has. That is why im thankful there is a Nintendo to pull the industry out of its quagmire or fanservice games, and every narrower target audience for games.

Tellaerin

"Firstly, we face the reality that within one family there are people willing to pick up a game controller, and those who would never touch one," he said. "Anyone will pick up a TV remote control, but not necessarily a game controller. Why is this?"

Because some people are interested in videogames and some people aren't, but practically everyone likes to watch TV? :p

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Hmm seems like some have seen game ideas/software from Nintendo behind closed doors already:

http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2005/09/nintendo_starts.php

These all proved that the device has demanded software creativity from even Nintendo. Other titles have already been demonstrated to a few select members of the press, including Edge, behind closed doors - and we will reveal our verdict on the Nintendo-developed ideas in an upcoming issue - but we're curious to know what form subsequent announcements from third party publishers take and how, exactly, games developers will use the new device.

They seem to have a very positive view of the controller, too. Aren't they the hard to please magazine that gives out 4's and 5's regularly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom