• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
When a developer like Kojima explains "You've done it," upon seeing your controller you know you have a good thing going. As time goes along and all of you get to experience it for yourself you will fall in love with it.

Diffense

Apart from a light gun it's the closest thing to holding a gun that FPS games have seen.

As others have said Luigi's mainsion would work really well and I imagine FLUDD would also be more fun to use. In fact, I would play a remake of Mario Sunhine for revolution. It truly is a new way to play.

I would welcome some of the old 2D games retooled to work with the remote. Maybe that's what Nintendo was suggesting when they said that older downloaded games might use some 'revolutionary' features.

I dont know about you but when I am playing FPS I tend to move around a bit. With the Revolution Controller body english will get in the way of playing the game.

Not to mention I still believe that the natural tendency will be to hold the controller/attachment out away from your body which will cause arm fatigue. Take 2 remotes to simulate this and act like you would be playing a game. Your arms get tired. Then take a controller and see how you handle things differently that give your arms support and minimize fatigue.

Alright, enough bickering people! I've come up with the perfect solution.

Behold: the perfect controller!

PerfectController.jpg

KonVex

The position detection on the controller will probably work like a small-scale GPS implementation. You have two sensors that are positioned around the tv, the third will probably be build into the console. The controller can now measure the distance to all three sensors and, using some math, calculate its position.
The rotational component could be implemented with gyros.

The second step would be to calibrate the controller. You'll probably have to point at five points on your screen (the corners and the center). This way the console can know the position and the size of your screen. Using this knowledge the precision, compared to these gyration mice, could be greatly enhanced and would enable lightgun games without regard to the technology of your screen.

I'm not familiar with Halo controls, but a standard implementation of FPS control could be:
pitch / yaw : freelook
move up: jump
move down: duck
move left/right: lean left/right
move forward/backward: zoom scope
analog stick: walk forward/backward + strafe
dpad: weapon/item selection
There would still be four buttons left (A, B, Z1, Z2).

edit: added scope

Diffense

I don't think it will cause arm fatigue if you are moving your hands (which you'll have to in order to control the games). The human body is funny that way. It's like we're made for motion.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
KeithFranklin said:
I dont know about you but when I am playing FPS I tend to move around a bit. With the Revolution Controller body english will get in the way of playing the game.

Not to mention I still believe that the natural tendency will be to hold the controller/attachment out away from your body which will cause arm fatigue. Take 2 remotes to simulate this and act like you would be playing a game. Your arms get tired. Then take a controller and see how you handle things differently that give your arms support and minimize fatigue.

Well 1up say:

At first, I was standing up and swinging my hand all around to aim - and my arms got really tired really quick. But once I sat down and relaxed, resting my hands on my legs as I would with a normal controller, everything clicked.

You might be right about the natural instinct thing, but I'm sure you can take the 2 seconds to decide not to do it that way.

Koshiro

You people that think this controller is more restrictive than a standard controller for game genres are going to be in for a real shock when GAME DESIGNERS show you why they're game designers and not you.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Koshiro said:
You people that think this controller is more restrictive than a standard controller for game genres are going to be in for a real shock when GAME DESIGNERS show you why they're game designers and not you.
QFT

and accuracy

CrisKre

I love this. I LOVE THIS!

This is different without being gimmicky imo. I can just sense this will be a different experience to play games. I love it. Did I say that already? :D and it is sexy!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Cauliflower of Love said:
Someone post a "mind blown" picture, because I've been introduced to something I NEVER could have possibly imagined. Thanks.
nice sarcasm. it's really quite a simple concept, i don't understand why you don't get it.

rotational movement (along a single axis ie. the length of the remote) versus sideways movement

nothing mind blowing there

All in all I think it is a neat secondary controller. Follows ideas like Xavix, Samba Di Amigo, the little light saber game put out for Revenge of the Sith, and just makes it a generic controller for other purposes as well rather then buy a low cost niche console (Xavix) for a specific type of game.

Soybean said:
I don't see why they couldn't have at least stuck on a couple more buttons.

That's true, my tv remote has at least 15 buttons. People won't be scared of it. =D

nice sarcasm. it's really quite a simple concept, i don't understand why you don't get it.

rotational movement (along a single axis ie. the length of the remote) versus sideways movement

nothing mind blowing there

.... This is.....uh...hmmm....

I.....

hrmm.

Zilch

Banned
Soybean said:
I don't see why they couldn't have at least stuck on a couple more buttons.

Seriously. This is my biggest complaint.

People are saying "well you could press one button that makes all the other buttons switch to a secondary function" but that's just so the opposite of Nintendo's casual-friendly mentality. Meh.

pringles

Not to mention I still believe that the natural tendency will be to hold the controller/attachment out away from your body which will cause arm fatigue. Take 2 remotes to simulate this and act like you would be playing a game. Your arms get tired. Then take a controller and see how you handle things differently that give your arms support and minimize fatigue
I hope there's some sublime irony in there that I'm missing. There is NO REASON whatsoever for why you could not rest your arms just like when using a normal controller while playing with the Rev controller.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Zilch said:
Seriously. This is my biggest complaint.

People are saying "well you could press one button that makes all the other buttons switch to a secondary function" but that's just so the opposite of Nintendo's casual-friendly mentality. Meh.

Was showing that you could basically play Halo 2 on it not enough?

Jesus people.

EDIT: I'm not sure I've said it yet as the ideas alone put so many thoughts in my head, but I really should.

Sexy. As. Fuck.

jman2050

Koshiro said:

Koshiro wins this topic.

At first, I was standing up and swinging my hand all around to aim - and my arms got really tired really quick. But once I sat down and relaxed, resting my hands on my legs as I would with a normal controller, everything clicked. It wasn't perfect yet - the Revolution controller functionality had just been added recently and wasn't bug tested or polished, so every so often the view would "spaz out" for a couple seconds - but it was enough to get me excited. As odd as it may look holding the two separate controller pieces, one in each hand, looking around felt incredibly natural, even more than my preferred PC-style keyboard-and-mouse setup. I have to wonder about precision and speed in multiplayer games, but for a more deliberate single-player game like Metroid Prime - and the series is already confirmed for an appearance on the Revolution - this setup already has huge potential.

But notice the Video. They are going to promote this as a much more interactive approach. I think there is one person sitting moving the controller very deliberatly. I see a lot of people getting pissed at the think when they move (unconciously) and causing things to happen that they dont want to happen.

Beezy

All I want is for Nintendo to add x and y to a and b on the controllermote and arrange them in a diamond position. Or maybe the controller shell will solve that problem somehow.

jman2050

KeithFranklin said:
But notice the Video. They are going to promote this as a much more interactive approach. I think there is one person sitting moving the controller very deliberatly. I see a lot of people getting pissed at the think when they move (unconciously) and causing things to happen that they dont want to happen.

It's a promotional video, the entire idea is to get the point across that the controller can be used for those types of movements. You seriously think the sword-fighting portion of the video would've had the same effect if the guy were just resting his hands, slightly moving the controller?

The promo was sensationalized on purpose, and from the looks of it, it worked beautifully.

Ok, I just saw this and all that comes to mind is;

WTF?

Seriously Nintendo, do you really think this will sell?

Priase it all you want, I think it's a raving disaster. Your casual is going to find this just a bit too ambitious/weird.

Whats wrong with just doing a GOOD wireless pad with 6 buttons on the front and 2 shoulders?

Now I wait for the Nintendo fanboys to give me hell.....

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Outcast2004 said:
Ok, I just saw this and all that comes to mind is;

WTF?

Seriously Nintendo, do you really think this will sell?

Priase it all you want, I think it's a raving disaster. Your casual is going to find this just a bit too ambitious/weird.

Whats wrong with just doing a GOOD wireless pad with 6 buttons on the front and 2 shoulders?

Now I wait for the Nintendo fanboys to give me hell.....
you're right about one thing. nintendo isn't going to win any console wars with this, but so what? enjoy what new things they're bringing to the table.

Thraktor

I would just like to point out something to people who have labelled the motion-sensing aspects of the controller as a replacement for an analog stick, that it is, in fact, far in advance of anything an analog stick can replicate. While an analog stick is limited to a two dimensional plane of motion (the x and y axes), it appears that, if the technology is what it's cracked up to be, the new controller can actually detect movement about no less than 6 axes, being the classical x, y and z planes of movement, as well as i, j and k, the (quaternion representations of) rotations about each of the x, y and z axes. While this would imply the new device being like 3 analog sticks taped together (which, in theory, there is nothing to stop it being used as), it would fail to take into account that it not only offers a much greater degree of movement in each of these ways, but it is also far more intuitive than anything that could be accomplished with analog sticks and buttons alone.

Take, for example, a game designed to be played with true 3D movement (e.g. a sequel Forsaken), if you were to play this on a traditional controller, you would need two analog sticks and four analog shoulder buttons to even attempt to replicate the abilities of the single-handed Revolution controller, and you just try to put an intuitive control scheme for such a game on that set of buttons, forgetting for a moment about the fact that you're not even left with enough controls for anything but movement.

I'll admit, the first time I saw the controller was nothing other than one giant "WTF?" and some serious questioning of my position as a Nintendo fanboy, but I've quite quickly come to realise that Nintendo have done something quite remarkable, they've managed to create a controller that is not only far more capable than either of their competitors', but they've actually done so in a package that is as simple and intuitive as a NES controller (even arguably more so), and for that, they have earned my kudos. The real test, however, will be when developers actually start showing off their creations with this new technology, and we'll see whether they can make real use of what the controller has to offer.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Thraktor said:
The real test, however, will be when developers actually start showing off their creations with this new technology, and we'll see whether they can make real use of what the controller has to offer.
speaking of which, what companies have pledged their support for Rev? I know Nintendo has gloated about a few in the past months.

Mihail

Banned
You guys are all missing the big picture here, which is that one of the tech demos shown was called PILOT WANGS. It's genious!

I'm curious to see what the market and industry's reaction will be when developers take advantage of this controller with more mature content. After reading up on the demos on how the controller could be used, the homicidal maniac inside me thought, "that could be used to accurately depict the slashing of one's throat." Or I pictured my wife coming home from work one day and walking into the living room to find me shouting "DIE MOTHERFUCKER!" and violently stabbing the couch cushion with what appears to be the remote control (at which point I'll stop, there will be some awkward silence and looks, and then I'll say "What? I'm just playing the new Mario game"). In all seriousness, violence in video games is already under enough scrutiny as it stands now. I'm interested to see if making games that allow you to mimic the action of cutting, stabbing, gutting, shanking, decapatating, slashing, snapping, impaling, etc. will take things to a whole other level.

Red Scarlet

Mama Smurf said:
Alright, so people don't want to read information apparently. Well it's spread out, who can blame them. So here it is:

Here's the main controller:

04-thumb.jpg

Pretty obvious generally. What you can't see is that it can detect movement. As Reggie explains:

The first and likely main use of the expansion port is for an analogue stick attachment:

fps.jpg

What you can't see in this pic is the two triggers below the stick. According to Iwatat's speech, Nintendo plan to pack this attachment in with the system.

With the analogue stick attachment, the Revolution controller has as many buttons easily to hand as a Dual Shock minus the D pad.

How many of those buttons can you comfortably reach? I see 2 (big A below the dpad, and the trigger underneath). Am I supposed to lube up the remote so I can slide my hand down to the buttons at the bottom?

Come to think of it, the Game Cube was a testing ground for Revolution: the connectivity of devices, wireless controllers, simpler format (Nintendo has been saying for years how they wanted a simpler controller), etc. Its all coming into place. So the more I thought about it (as I fucking bombed my Calculus 2 test for other reasons), the more this controller makes sense.

Plus with talking about moving forward and this activity, I think we can see more Nintendogs, Electroplanktons, and Ouendans for Revolution in between the Marios, Zeldas, and Metroids.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Fester Shinetop said:
I'm curious to see what the market and industry's reaction will be when developers take advantage of this controller with more mature content. After reading up on the demos on how the controller could be used, the homicidal maniac inside me thought, "that could be used to accurately depict the slashing of one's throat." Or I pictured my wife coming home from work one day and walking into the living room to find me shouting "DIE MOTHERFUCKER!" and violently stabbing the couch cushion with what appears to be the remote control (at which point I'll stop, there will be some awkward silence and looks, and then I'll say "What? I'm just playing the new Mario game"). In all seriousness, violence in video games is already under enough scrutiny as it stands now. I'm interested to see if making games that allow you to mimic the action of cutting, stabbing, gutting, shanking, decapatating, slashing, snapping, impaling, etc. will take things to a whole other level.

No more video games for you Fester ;)

has no one played sega bass fishing on the dreamcast? the controller made that game. the revolution is going to have games that are some how ( i know, how could anyone top this) better than bass fishing, and it will blow everyones mind. nintendo is doing what sega tried to do, but has the technology and the ability to connect all the dots.

Red Scarlet said:
How many of those buttons can you comfortably reach? I see 2 (big A below the dpad, and the trigger underneath). Am I supposed to lube up the remote so I can slide my hand down to the buttons at the bottom?

did you look at the picture? the directional buttons can be used as the o,triangle square and x. just think 2 feet in front of your face and i think you'll grasp this concept.

Mugen

Banned
:lol Nintendo has done it again. If you thought Nintendo couldn't fuck themselves any worse, they somehow find a way to rip themselves a new one.

Controller is indeed a revolution tho but REV = BOMB TOTAL.

Thraktor

Red Scarlet said:

If you want to get technical, reducing everything down to single-directional movements (button presses or pushes of an analog stick/button), a Revolution controller in each hand results in 34 different movements (24 analog) without any hand-lube needed, comparing to 12 (up to 12 analog) for a dual-analog controller with four analog shoulder buttons (and I think the term "analog" is a bit much for the DualShock2's shoulder buttons, to be honest).

Mihail

Banned
You know, the more I think about it, the more I recognize that the revolution is the natural "evolution" of the DS. The DS is all about free control, but the player is forced to always make contact with the screen.

Moving through the air is like moving manipulating a touch screen, but without the resistance or contact requirement, and in full 3D space.

Red Scarlet

johns all like said:
did you look at the picture? the directional buttons can be used as the o,triangle square and x. just think 2 feet in front of your face and i think you'll grasp this concept.

So what about L, R, and Z or whatever?

Also, the d-pad is one piece. What if you need to press up/down (X/A) or left/right (Y/B) at the same time? You won't be able to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom