• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Thanksgiving 2006

stone128

Says IGN

Oh, and they launched their Revolution site :)

Hardware info

"To be honest, it's not much more powerful than an Xbox. It's like a souped up Xbox," a major third party source revealed to us"

Still, the studios we spoke with are still very intrigued by Revolution and are not ruling out the possibility of additional graphic horsepower. No developer that chatted with us had, or was willing to share, details on the console's GPU, Hollywood. One studio said: "As soon as we find out what it can do then we'll know if Revolution will just be like an Xbox or something a little more."

...But it's such a nice controller that it opens up a lot of possibilities. It's very different and it's very precise.

mCACGj

Does this mean there will be more news soon? Do they know something? Will there be even more speculation about speculation about nothing? YES!

stone128 said:
Says IGN

Oh, and they launched their Revolution site :)

Interesting news, but how do they have enough content for a Rev site this early? Good time to launch IMO, could set it up as a big gift for Xmas in '06 (especially with better distribution than X360)

Also another article on the site mentions maybe only 128MB ram (with possible use of the flash ram). As stated in article, helps explain no hi-def..

See here

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
"To be honest, it's not much more powerful than an Xbox. It's like a souped up Xbox," a major third party source revealed to us
uh oh.
bail%20out.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/673/673578p1.html

"To be honest, it's not much more powerful than an Xbox. It's like a souped up Xbox," a major third party source revealed to us. "But it's the controller that makes the difference and the controller is really nice."

IMPOSSIBLE. NINTENDO SPENT MONEY.

Acknowledges what we all know, though, and that's the the console will be quite awesome in ways other than its graphics.

Ironclad

I think Revolution still stands as a prototype name. At least Nintendo hasn't anounced it to be official, AFAIK.

It's about damn time they launched the site though. Hopefully they have some news in stock for the site, as opposed to continued speculation.

Diffense

When Revolution was initially unveiled, a Nintendo executive said it would be "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube." The company never commented on Revolution's horsepower again and we were later told that the initial statement was incorrect. However, according to development houses, that description accurately sums up Revolution's power.
I knew this was true.

ParkPace

A "souped-up" 700mhz Celeron chip?

If the DS and the Revolution formed a superhero group they could call themselves The Underpowers.

(EDIT: I'm still getting one. I need to try that damn controller out.)

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Certainly enough time for Twilight Princess to be ported.

And if it is just a "souped up Xbox", what would you guys expect the price to be?

Billy Rygar said:
I'm calling an eight page thread.
Bets?

I'm in for 12. I'm not too surprised, I mean all indication were that grapical power was really not a priority. Hopefully will force Rev devs to focus on unique and compelling gameplay, hopefully...

Personally, if true, a little disappointing that we won't see "next-gen" type graphics for new Mario and Zelda games, but maybe the control will outweigh it.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
Nintendo's machine will simply not deliver the same graphic horsepower as its competitors.

On the next Arrested Development

GOB It will deliver more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*shoots out flames*

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Bob White said:
I got banned for saying this a few months ago.

it's okay, now the hardcore will be able to like the Xbox. Since they'll soon be buying one.

edit: scratch that. new Xbox in thanksgiving 06.

Y2Kev

I'm just curious as to where all the money Nintendo spent went, although I have always felt it was abundantly clear: interface.

Nevermind, continue saying I lack common sense.

jmoe316

Keep in mind though they said they didn't know exact details about the ATI chip. Sure it may be a souped up Xbox, but there may be some nice fancy-dancy tech work in the chip that will create beauty.

EDIT: I KNOW THIS IS OFF TOPIC, BUT THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO DEAL WITH THIS. WHY CAN'T I POST A NEW THREAD? I ALWAYS GET:

jmoe316, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Izzy

Banned
Big 3rd party developer said:
"To be honest, it's not much more powerful than an Xbox. It's like a souped up Xbox," a major third party source revealed to us."

Xbox 1.1? :(

ParkPace

To be perfectly honest, assuming Nintendo and Co. do with their back catalog what Microsoft and Co. are doing with the Xbox Live Arcade (ie. add online multiplayer to old games), then I couldn't care less how good their newer games look. Other than a few Nintendo staples (Zelda, Smash Bros., Metroid Prime 3, etc.), I'm only going to be owning the damn thing for the older stuff anyways.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Finally, quizzed about publishers' internal reaction to the device, a source responded: "People are interested, but they're still taking it all in at the moment. I'm sure [Nintendo is] going to get a fair amount of support. Probably a lot of people will initially look at existing franchises and whether or not they can kind of do customized versions for Revolution using most of the assets they've got. But whether they'll say, "Okay, let's do something completely original for it," that's the other question because it could be quite expensive to do that. Not as expensive as doing a PS3 or Xbox 360 game. But if you're a third party and you want to do cross platform, if you're doing a game on 360 you can do it on PS3 or PC using the same assets and that does make it a bit easier."
and this is the main problem with the Revolution are developers/publishers willing to take the risk and do something completely original for a console that nobody knows if it's going to succeds? at least with the DS, Nintendo didn't have to worry too much because the handheld market was theirs but with consoles it's completely different story.

olimario

Banned
phantomile co. said:
fuck, this one is going to be nuts...

Nintendo really should clear this up already, because it's about to hit that point.

Did the METROID PRIME 3 IN GAME FOOTAGE YOU SAW BUT NOBODY ELSE DID look like it could be pulled off on an XBOX?

Mashing

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I'm just curious as to where all the money Nintendo spent went, although I have always felt it was abundantly clear: interface.

Nevermind, continue saying I lack common sense.

Well, I imagine interface technology going into the Revolution is not cheap. I'd agree with you that hte bulk of the money went toward that. But as the DS has shown us, you don't always need the best graphics to have great games. As has been mentioned countless times, the Revolution is going to make the perfect companion console.

Y2Kev

This isn't insider material, is it? Unless you meant IGN's "insider" source. I don't want to get in trouble. I didn't notice if it was.

littlewig said:
lol, looks like IGN is up to their old tricks again with their Nintendo bashing.

Never gets old.

How is it bashing? Do you know something different than what these sources are saying?

Top Bottom