• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Thanksgiving 2006

P90 said:
You miss my point, it isn't just the console, though $400 for an operative unit is high for anybody that is not a high school or college kid living off their parents. You don't think the cost of the other requirements of "HD gaming" is not prohibitive for anybody with other responsibilities like mortgage, car insurance, day care, etc.?

To be honest, no, if that's what you do for fun. An 800 dollar TV, 500 dollar system for sound (moderate stuff), and 400 for a system that lasts 4-6 years does not seem prohibitive to me. But I can understand how it would be prohibitive for some people. My point though is that there are enough gamers now who it's not prohibitve to. What if those parents who the kids are living off of are gamers too? That's what we're coming too as gamers' ages rise, so that one or two thousand for an HD setup and a few hundred or a thousand each gen for new systems is not a huge amount.

P90

Dinosaur Sr. said:
Some of you guys act like nobody owns these things. Have you seen how sales of HDTVs are taking off? People aren't buying them so they get the best experience with their gaming console, they're getting them because they're fucking awesome and prices are nice. The fact that some newer consoles can take advantage of them is excellent icing on the cake and good incentive to get those consoles.

If someone isn't planning on getting an HDTV in the next 5 years, they probably either aren't into gaming period, or just stick to handhelds at the most. If anything, they deserve to get stuck with a remote control-based "videogame" system.

That sounds like J Allard! Can you provide me with numbers that indicate market penetration of HDTV? IF it is above 10% I would be quite suprised. Price is nice? Hnh? Not a large enough set to be in a living room, much less a second for the den where the games are. Some of you guys act like nobody spends money on anything else other than games and electronic toys. ;)

P90

D3VI0US said:
P90 guess you'll be enjoying another form of entertainment until prices will come down.

Maybe, I seriously doubt I am much off the mainstream in my request for affordable gaming.

Ponn

Banned
P90 said:
You miss my point, it isn't just the console, though $400 for an operative unit is high for anybody that is not a high school or college kid living off their parents. It is the whole shabang: upgrade stereo and speakers, upgrade to $1500 TV, monster cables, price increase on games, the price of controllers, the list goes on. The JesusFactor listed it. I agree with him. You don't think the cost of the other requirements of "HD gaming" is not prohibitive for anybody with other responsibilities like mortgage, car insurance, day care, etc.?

Most of the equipment you are listing is NOT just for HD gaming. HD gaming is a byproduct for most adults you are talking about. They want an HD Theater experience, and it's nice to have gaming systems that fit into that too. Now most people here posting on these boards will make HD gaming more important.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I was wondering why the board was running a little slow. I miss all the good threads :(

I will most certainly be here tonight for the spec unveiling, though! Bout time we got concrete hardware numbers (not that I could understand them or anything...maybe I should start lurking at Beyond 3D or something :lol)

D3VI0US

hadareud said:
Do I care that it won't be able to keep up with the 360 and the PS3 in power? Not at all.

I do when the machine is so underpowered that the games suffer because of hardware limitations and bottlenecks. Sure it happens to every ambitious game but Rev is coming out of the gate half cocked and the differences are likely to be more distinguishable.

D3VI0US

P90 said:
Maybe, I seriously doubt I am much off the mainstream in my request for affordable gaming.

Everyone wants things to be cheaper but mainstream gamers just want games, they find them on Sony and MS consoles, not Nintendo's.

hadareud

The Translator
D3VI0US said:
I do when the machine is so underpowered that the games suffer because of hardware limitations and bottlenecks. Sure it happens to every ambitious game but Rev is coming out of the gate half cocked and the differences are likely to be more distinguishable.

Well, when I say it won't keep up with the 360 in terms of power it doesn't rule out that Nintendo is building a very nifty machine. I think it won't keep up in terms of raw power, but it will still be a great machine without many bottlenecks. Hopefully we'll see tonight (or tomorrow in my case)

P90

D3VI0US said:
Everyone wants things to be cheaper but mainstream gamers just want games, they find them on Sony and MS consoles, not Nintendo's.

Mainstream gamers just want games? Maybe Madden and GTA. That has been discussed ad nauseum. MS and Sony have games at $19.99 MUCH, MUCH quicker than Nintendo. Bargain games rule. Discount games sell. MS and Sony ftw.

Flo_Evans

:lol what a great thread!

The denial and fear is so thick you can almost taste it!

I for one can't wait to get my hands on one of those fancy new GAME VIDEO systems! I am sure MGS4 will play just like metal gear on the nes, but I can't help being drawn in by the detail on snakes mustache!

Flo_Evans

Kolgar said:
Doesn't "freestyle" mean "to go without underpants"?

If so, I hope Peach has got it!

possibly, its hard to keep up with all the new slang these days!

"going commando" always meant "no underwear" to me.

Top Bottom