• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

rFactor 2 Beta Thread: Which will crash more often; it or us?

paskowitz

I have no idea why but I cannot seem to install mods. I followed the instruction in the OT and on the rF2 website. When I am in the mod manager the mods refuse to show up. The folder and file names are correct so I have no idea what is causing this.

mclaren777

Yep. Should reinstall?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Make sure to use the full build from v85 (or the current v90 if a full build is available).

Don't delete your mod packages because those can just be re-installed (providing they aren't the source of the problem).

_machine

Holy crap that looks great. I love the "helmet cam" even though it looks a bit exaggerated with the head almost hitting the wheel and such and that looks a lot less slippery than most of the rF2 content so far which is something that I couldn't get a grip on when I last tested the game. Anyone found a link for it and is there anything major added in the last patches?

Ravenn17

Holy crap that looks great. I love the "helmet cam" even though it looks a bit exaggerated with the head almost hitting the wheel and such and that looks a lot less slippery than most of the rF2 content so far which is something that I couldn't get a grip on when I last tested the game. Anyone found a link for it and is there anything major added in the last patches?
Just load up MP and search the server list for "Senna 88" and use the " Get mod " option, ISI added this last build saves having to search for the mod. Make sure once it's dloaded you read what it is says on screen. You need all the tracks installed that the mod uses. It won't let you install it without all the tracks needed, so look for any red crosses when you get the mod, they will be the tracks you need Any problems give me a shout.

Posted by the uploader of the video.

mclaren777

feels3 has finally released a build (v0.91) of Croft for us to enjoy. :)

Release Notes
- Trees are temporarily 2D, full 3D trees are planned for v1.0
- HDR profile is from ISI, new profile is planned for v1.0
- Temporary night lighting, upgrage is planned for v1.0
- Dirt course layout and animations are planned for v1.0
- Up to 40 drivers on track (24 + 16 garages with 24 pits)
- AI is far from perfect, but upgrade is planned ASAP
- Temporary replay cameras, upgrade is planned for v1.0
- No trackside sounds, but upgrade is planned for v1.0
- Asset and performance improvements are planned for v1.0

Download

rF2croft.gif

Arucardo

Since mclaren isn't around (hopefully back soon) to keep us updated I'll take a swing at it for a change.

Virtua_LM released their Sebring track from original rF to rF2 now, there's some screens and download links here: http://www.virtualr.net/virtua_lm-sebring-for-rfactor-2-released . The Virtua_LM tracks are most definitely up there at the top when it comes to quality in rF(2), their version of Mid Ohio is one of my favorite tracks ever in rFactor.

Arucardo

Sorry to double post but I wanted to bring this thread up again, new beta build (101) got released.

Changelog:

Changelog

GRAPHICS:
—————————
Fixed issue where suspension gets distorted wildly when a wheel breaks off.
Sun occlusion processing now properly restored after lost device.
Correct a problem where sometimes the visual tire contact equation wouldn’t be properly updated.
smooth out visual contact patch plane equation over time so tire doesn’t instantly deform
Fixed problem where skins would get applied inappropriately (to the windshield, for example).
Fix a bug with FXAA and multiview
Correct alignment of horizon haze.
tweaked pit director position so he’s less likely to be standing inside your vehicle
Added an HDR parameter
fixed HDR lum histogram from over-accumulation during pauses.
Ref mapper optimization
Fix occasional brightness pulsing in HDR mode.
Fixed missing particle FX from cockpit / TV cockpit mode, but re-introduced some sorting artifacts on cars which will have to fixed in the mod.
Fixed alt-tab bug in MP mode.

GAMEPLAY:
—————————-
Added fix for safety car conflicts
unsportsmanlike conduct penalty should be working again
attempt to fix issue where drivers wouldn’t get appropriately blue-flagged if exiting the pits right in front of somebody
fixed the fallback case for determining the vehicle class

PHYSICS:
—————————-
New engine model can be damaged now, and can’t be run with the crankshaft rotating the wrong way!
Added HDV parameters CorrectedInnerSuspHeightFront and CorrectedInnerSuspHeightRear (in addition to the existing CorrectedInnerSuspHeight) in case somebody needs different values front/rear. Also removed obsolete FixInnerSuspHeight.
‘Simple’ garage values (which include a large portion of the available modifications) can now be overridden by Special instructions.

AI:
—————————-
fixed AI cars slowing down near garage locations of remote vehicles in multiplayer.
fixed AI slowing down for cars in pits for some tracks (brianza)
fixed AI doubling up in pits or getting into state where they pit but pit action does nothing by eliminating the timeout (was 150 seconds) on pit requests.
fixed issue where damaged AI historic vehicles could end up with highly unusual aerodynamic properties
fixed ai slow downs when only ai on a client (ie, when you’re connected to multiplayer game and turn control over to ai)
fixed ai drivers pulling out of pits and immediately slamming into the wall
improved ai handling of front-wheel drive cars

UI / HUD:
—————————-
added new toggle gizmo for RFM page for virtual mods to show up in RFM spinner
made pit menu obey CompoundRestrictions when front and rear compounds are required to match (you can still get compound mixes but only by changing only fronts or rears at a stop)
made vehicle picking one gizmo instead of two.
removed all code for old vehicle selection gizmo and a team selection scroll box that wasn’t being used.
tried to autojoin the server after downloading and installing it’s mod.
tried to center loading bars.
building team list from veh parameter ‘category’ (fullteam tree path) rather than just team, since cars in wildly different series can share the team… thus some would be culled from the tree display.
decoupled options and HUD widescreen variable.
options now letterbox when defined (in OSC) options res is widescreen but config res is 4:3.
also removed WidescreenUI variable getting set to true when in a 4:3 res.
Now allow HUDs to be in resolutions other than 1280X960.
New support for options in resolutions other than 1280X960
mouselessscrollbox text scaling fix
Attempt to filter qualifier keys (shift, alt, ctrl) from back-to-monitor keypress.

BUG FIXES:
—————————-
a few memory leaks and some other cleanup
fixed tracks coming up with wrong handedness in cases where starting grid is 3-2-3-2 (or really any, as long as at least 2 cars are next to each other in all rows) instead of standard 2-2-2-2. (was causing ai cars to violently swerve when skipping formation laps & other problems)
Some changes made to speed up selecting a different mod (hopefully this doesn’t break anything).
fixed possible thread-safety issue

MULTIPLAYER:
—————————-
changed dedicated server caption to be the base directory to help server operators distinguish between multiple servers on a single computer.
Fixed “Available Opponents” listing on dedicated server, so now multiplayer vehicle filters work.
fixed multiplayer vehicle filter for list box selector
fixed multiplayer vehicle filter for scrolling select
Some multiplayer.ini housecleaning.
encode name & password
increased mp download limit.
added password verification for downloadable mods
check *all* client nodes for timeout, including pending drivers, other spectators, and those with non-scored vehicles

CONTROLLER/FFB:
—————————-
setup FFB “effects driver” only once, and also stopped needlessly re-initialized the controllers
untested attempt to make LEDs work on modified Logitech DFP

REPLAYS:
—————————-
simplified and improved correction of wheel orientation in replays/multiplayer
improved replays of parts falling off vehicles
Replay format has changed slightly for various improvements, sorry it’s not backwards-compatible!
Current tread surface properties now recorded in replay and transmitted in multiplayer.
Recording tire carcass movement for player now.
Mostly fixed terrain feedback in replays.
Fixed another bug with special effects in replay where smoke would flicker and skids would have gaps.
A bit more precision for special effects in multiplayer/replays.
Fixed wheel vertical location when viewing replay of player vehicle (same bug caused an offset in the reported mWheelYLocation for telemetry).
Improved replays of parts falling off vehicles.
Fixed new issue where replay/multiplayer flatspots (and any other tread properties that aren’t uniform around the tire circumference) might not appear in correct place. However, this sometimes causes a side effect in replay/multiplayer of a tire spinning unnaturally in order to move to the correct orientation.
fixed jerking trackside cameras when rewinding in replay
fixed a couple things regarding wheel orientation in replay.

MODDING
—————————-
Improved Mod Packaging Wizard now automatically creates rFm MAS file, also various bug fixes with packager. Includes updated user guide.
Several bug fixes in Modmgr.

RFACTOR.NET
—————————-
Begun infrastructure for Web portals. http://rfactor.net/rf2mm.php

1-D_FTW

I retract my feelings about rfactor 1 having better 3D.

Picked up a GTX 660ti and can now run Spa at 1080P 3D@60fps. Pretty freaking glorious.

Also spent a little time playing Monaco. That sharp turn coming out of the tunnel is SO much easier in 3D. I always just closed my eyes and said a prayer to the gaming gods when I took that before. In 3D? Pft. I laugh at your little turn.

Shaneus

Fuck, I really need to get back into it. Is 101 a decent enough step up from previous builds? I mean, I can read that it is from the changelog... but first-hand experience, I'm curious.

1-D_FTW

Maybe somebody knows, but I honestly don't. When I lost all my car setups with build 90, I'd lost my motivation to play. Probably put in less than an hour. So I have no ideas what's changed between the builds.

1-D_FTW

Whats the FF like on Logitech wheels with the latest build?

I'm gonna try and spend some quality time with it today. Yesterday was that new video card, must try 15 different games phase.

My quick (and possibly faulty) impression was there were no deal breakers. I do, however, still find it absolutely necessary to use the following settings:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34314028&postcount=132

The death rattle stock settings are an absolute no-go for me.

EDIT: I don't actually have the wheel settings at 900 degrees. I think I use more like 310.

mclaren777

Any word on when this game is going live? Wasn't it supposed to be this summer some time?

rF2 was supposed to be a summer release, but that's unlikely to happen now. The recent updates have been great and I've really enjoyed the official content and the mods. I'm currently beta testing one that I can't talk about, but it's really cool. ;)

I've also added Croft and Sebring to the mod list in the second post.

Whats the FF like on Logitech wheels with the latest build?

FFB feels great, as usual, but it still has the "death rattle" when going off track. I've modified my controller settings to make it suck less, but it still needs work.

Random factoid: G27 rattling is caused by the helical gears moving the motor shaft up/down. The standard spring is simply not strong enough to stop shaft play during peak FFB inputs.

And here are some random screenshots from tjc69 to celebrate my unbanning...

ijsYbtLQLRXlq.jpg

iIkWvb0GpYIZZ.jpg

1-D_FTW

Welcome back.

I've heard you mention using a frame rate limiter in this game. Does rf2 have an ingame command? Or are you just using a third party program? I could have sworn 3D vision games used to automatically have v-sync running in 3D, but with my new 660ti, I'm rendering way more frames than I actually need. I'd just assume lock the 3d to 60fps (without v-sync) if it can be done in-game.

1-D_FTW

Great. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

EDIT: Stupid question time: what's a PLR format? What do you open it with?

Polyphony

Oh, no wonder my game started lagging like crazy on some car/track combos... I figured that the game was running at an abnormally high FPS. Thanks for the tweak.

1-D_FTW

Oh, no wonder my game started lagging like crazy on some car/track combos... I figured that the game was running at an abnormally high FPS. Thanks for the tweak.

Doh. I wasn't having this issue in rfactor, but this is why Dirt 3 was unplayable for me in 3D. Checked v-sync to lock it in at 60fps, and back to silky smooth. The more you know.

1-D_FTW

I have a question for you Mclaren: do you know what those 60's F1 cars are modeled on? Are the Eve and Sparkle just unlicensed versions of the Lotus 49 and Ferrari cars?

Reason I ask is this: I got tired of having the BT20 flop around on Spa, so I loaded up GPL (with all the patches) and wrote down their recommended settings for the BT24 on Spa. And even though it was BT 20 vs 24 and not all the settings could be matched perfectly, it at least formed a base I was able to start tweaking from. I'm not an engineer from 1967. I don't need factory settings, I need something that's semi-tweaked and I can form a base from.

So I'd really like, if I could, is to copy the Lotus and Ferrari settings in GPL for the Spa, Monaco, and Monza tracks.

1-D_FTW

Stupid question incoming... In fact I'm cringing while I'm thinking about it:

Will rF2 be available on Steam?

Considering rfactor 1 never made, I wouldn't count on it.

The digital version also never dropped in price. So if you're interested, there's not much incentive for waiting into the future. I also think they have a 30 day money back trial for the beta. I think. So if you hate it, you can request a refund.

Considering rfactor 1 never made, I wouldn't count on it.

The digital version also never dropped in price. So if you're interested, there's not much incentive for waiting into the future. I also think they have a 30 day money back trial for the beta. I think. So if you hate it, you can request a refund.

Man, it would be sweet though.

I'm still into rF1, and in no rush to get into rF2. I'll most likely wait for it to go gold before picking it up.

mclaren777

I have a question for you Mclaren: do you know what those 60's F1 cars are modeled on? Are the Eve and Sparkle just unlicensed versions of the Lotus 49 and Ferrari cars?

I don't believe they are modeled off of any existing cars. Using settings from GPL might work, but you'd probably be better off asking for setup recommendations on the ISI forums.

Stupid question incoming... Will rF2 be available on Steam?

That is undecided at this point, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Welcome back mclaren, it's good to see you posting again :)

Thanks. :)

1-D_FTW

I don't believe they are modeled off of any existing cars. Using settings from GPL might work, but you'd probably be better off asking for setup recommendations on the ISI forums.

That's too bad. If you cycle through the different makes in GPL, though, they do seem to have a fairly tight range among the different manufacturers. You can get a pretty good idea of where you'd want your ride heights, caster, toe-ins, etc. And don't even get me started on the tire PSI. It seems WAY too low if you compare to the cars in GPL.

Still, if this is the case, it boggles the mind why they didn't include pre-tuned configs for this. All the more reason it was needed. Absolutely needs to be in the final retail version.

mclaren777

Numerous people have mentioned a 10-20fps increase in performance with this new build.

Build 107 Changelog (August 29, 2012)
======================================

GRAPHICS:
---------------------------
Added some HDR debug

GAMEPLAY:
----------------------------
Made spin correction not work while on pitspot.

PHYSICS:
Turbo code
Working turbo code minus intercooler (but we're ignoring the decreased charge density until that's in)
For turbos, made configurable the location of boost pressure measurement for wastegate purposes
Fixed intake manifold pressure calc for turbos

AI:
Fixed AI miscalculating fuel needs for fuel multiplier values greater than 1

UI / HUD:
Made multiplayer list "event name" field now "venue name, event name"
Virtual mirrors (and toggling them) now work the same for cockpit and TV cockpit
Added 2 pairs of x,y offsets to mouseless scroll boxes that can define the position of the Specific image within the scrollbox item. (the image used to always be placed at 0,0 and extend to the full extent of the scrollbox item)
Increased multiplayer game list buffer & standardized internal buffers for safer future upgrade

BUG FIXES:
Fixed keyboard handling in UI editor (we weren't handling Windows messages in a special tight loop)
Made gamedatabase switches more robust.
Fixed net lag issue (which was caused by extra data being sent without regard to appropriate bandwidth limit)
Fixed skinning bug with non-retail showrooms
Removed redundant gdb value "GrandPrixName"...since it was always identical to "EventName".
Fixed track selection gizmos from stocking multiple copies of the same event.
Fixed a bug where main page veh, rfm, or track icon would not show up because it was the wrong format.

MULTIPLAYER:
Added sort field for sorting by location to NetCommUtil
Made the text color of the racegrid participants customizable instead of hard-coded.

Dilly

Banned
I am seriously wondering about something.

Considering this game was planned to be out of beta 6 months after beta release, but I guess it's still a long way from that? Also, all the content that still has to be released, isn't that going to take a lot of time if they keep up the same rate of development as they do now?

I know I shouldn't expect pCARS rate of development, but it feels so slow.

Top Bottom