• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

rFactor 2 Beta Thread: Which will crash more often; it or us?

mclaren777

GPL Targa Florio>>>rFactor Targa Florio.

I'm pretty sure that the rF version is a perfect HD remake of the original GPL version, so what's not to like?

For example in the netKar Pro demo just now it took me about 40-50 resets till I managed to drive one lap without any major screw-up and even then I was mostly in the 2nd gear.

Pro Tip: make sure to remount fresh tires every time you enter the garage

i2YrjnbWqLEyA.jpg

What is the state of the online community for the original rFactor?

Playing with randoms is dreadful, but there are tons of leagues that are actually quite awesome. I'm hoping that rF2 develops a similarly robust league community, if it hasn't already.

*goes to check*

Make sure to add fuel between long runs

Make sure to fix your car if you hit something

Make sure to turn the auto-clutch assist on

Wow thanks mclaren777, it's awesome that you help out a newbie that much, especially the clutch assist might come in handy! :D I'll give it another whirl later tonight and see if I can produce a semi-decent lap-time today!

mclaren777

I finally got around to trying the new GT Endurance content from the recent build.

• The 370Z GT4 is a great car for beginners because it has a ton of grip and good balance.
• The GT-R GT1 is a beast – crazy top speed, hammers over curbs, nothing like the Megane.
• Palm Beach is a dull track because it doesn't really have any memorable/enjoyable corners.

iWRo1DaVhXfHB.jpg

mclaren777

The Top Gear test track is coming to rFactor 2 with seven different layouts.

Current status of assets:

Distant terrain modeling (DEM terrain conversion): 100%
Track modeling (surface mesh): 100%
Track details modeling (bumps, patchs, manholes, edges etc): 60%
Track paintings texture/mapping (lines, paintings, decals etc): 85%
Buildings modeling: 70%
Buildings texture/mapping: 60%
Track objects (Twalls, Signs, Lamps, Fences…etc): 50%
Cement/Concrete areas modeling/mapping: 50%
Parkings lots, garages lanes etc modeling/mapping: 40%
Grass areas modeling/mappings: 40%
Trees modeling/mappings: 40%
Treelines modeling/mappings: 30%
Out of Track vehicles modeling/mappings: 5%
Aerodrome Planes (747, DC3 etc..): 60%
Cams: 0%
AIWs (thanks to Ethone): 10%
TDF: 80%

iwFShW1sEd9rG.jpg

ibcDjslR55PyBu.jpg

Sethos

Banned
Just updated to the last version and tried out the 360 controller preset, STILL unplayable. Any tweak threads for this preset somewhere? Because no matter what I touch; sensitivity, deadzone, steering lock it's just a complete mess. Reason why I barely touched the game yet.

mclaren777

Because no matter what I touch; sensitivity, deadzone, steering lock it's just a complete mess.

What is "messy" about it? Are the cars too twitchy, because my solution for that it reducing the steering lock (usually down to 16º) on most of the cars.

Sethos

Banned
What is "messy" about it? Are the cars too twitchy, because my solution for that it reducing the steering lock (usually down to 16º) on most of the cars.

It's a deadzone / twitch problem. There is a TINY bit of play in every 360 controller that usually isn't recorded in games, rFactor 2 does. So when you even look at the thumbstick, the wheel will go either right or left and stay there and it's pretty severe how much it controls the car. You then try to correct it which results in a spin. Adding any sort of deadzone starts to effect the actual controls, from the point where games usually respond to your movement, that's 'cancelled' out with any sort of deadzone setting which makes for a numb response of the car. I tried the steering lock at 16 or 17 which you've recommended before to no avail. Only thing that slightly helped was turning the sensitivity all the way down but it was just a minuscule help.

mclaren777

I just played rFactor 2 with a controller, and while it was manageable, it's not a great experience.

Advice: don't buy rF2 unless you have a decent steering wheel

But if you must use a controller, try making these four adjustments and then tweak it to your liking from there.

ibaO5s5qt7u3U4.png

1-D_FTW

Mclaren: do you check FXAA? Because reading your impressions, I always got the idea you weren't getting 60fps unless you turned some graphical settings down.

I can have everything cranked to maximum @ 1080P (and AA set at 5 of 8) and during practice and qualifying, pretty much never drop below 60fps on my GTX 460. My GPU is usually in the 70 - 80 percentage range for utilization.

On a whim today, I checked the FXAA box and even during practice, my GPU was running at 100 percent utilization (so obviously running below 60fps).

FXAA aliasing has a huge performance hit that, quite frankly, I see no benefit to.

EDIT: Or maybe it's just that I'm comparing different tracks and the new update is just that much more demanding. I don't feel like hooking everything back up to test and make sure this holds true on Spa. I'll check again later.

mclaren777

I'll be rather surprised if ISI doesn't offer feels3 a permanent job within the company.

After just three months of work, this is what he's made...

Youtube

ibqNEhmgtItAMv.jpg

Also, the Top Gear test track seems to be coming along nicely...

Youtube

rF2topgear.gif

mclaren777

I had some free time today so I decided to join a random pickup race in rF2. Some people hate racing with "randoms", but I don't mind it at all. I sorted the servers by series (I only drive the Meganes in rF2) and joined one that had just loaded a new track (Portugal). It had been about five years since I last raced at Portugal but the server gave us five minutes for practice and ten for qualifying.

I started the race 10th out of 23 people and eventually worked my way up to 5th place by the end. It was a great experience and everybody was really friendly. Nobody demanded a restart and the guys I was racing against were all very fair.

I can see myself doing this on a regular basis and I'd encourage you guys to join me if you'd like.

Oh, and I also decided to try my hand at making a three-perspective video of a lap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWcK1XDJcZ0

rF2megane.gif

Shaneus

HDR could be it. Other than FXAA, I pretty much have everything on max.

Also, are there recommended FFB settings for any of the wheels (particularly G27)?

1-D_FTW

HDR could be it. Other than FXAA, I pretty much have everything on max.

Also, are there recommended FFB settings for any of the wheels (particularly G27)?

I honestly don't think it's lack of hdr. I think the game looks much better with it on.

Shaneus

There's definitely something that makes it look too washed out in places. Need to have much more of a tinker, I think.

On another note, have there been any decent mods/packs/cars/whatever made for the beta? Non-official ones, obv.

1-D_FTW

That Palm Beach track is actually pretty good. It's out in the sticks and has no charm from an environmental POV, but it's a pretty fun layout.

And I can see its real world appeal. Unless you really sucked or your car broke horribly, it's so wide open you could drive it without fear of crashing into any barriers if you made a mistake.

Dilly

Banned
Just played it again after a long while.

Still love the FFB and handling model, I even think the GTR looks quite good except for some rough edges and ugly MoTec display. But the sounds are really terrible.

Also, the public multiplayer looks quite dead?

mclaren777

There were like 8 people playing on 3 servers. It was a lot more fun at release.

Online player counts fluctuate wildly throughout the day/week so it really depends on when you login. Racing sims appeal more to adults than your typical COD crowd, so you're unlikely to have much success in the middle of the day or crazy-late at night.

Here's what it looks like right now at 11:15am PDT...

izHjyTr64awYh.jpg

Also, here's another sneak peak at the Top Gear test track...

iENmTpjqM4OiE.jpg

Dilly

Banned
For some reason that Maserati mod is classified under "unable to install" in my mod manager.

So, about the mods.

The mod packages are a nice idea, but are the tracks linked to the different series? If so, I don't see how that's a good idea with the UI like it is now. Installing a few series will give loads of cars in the vehicle selection screen because you have to scroll through each livery.

Why can't all series automatically drive on all tracks?

mclaren777

For some reason that Maserati mod is classified under "unable to install" in my mod manager.

Why can't all series automatically drive on all tracks?

We talked the mod-maker into releasing a new version that doesn't require any tracks – I've updated the second post with the new file.

And the mod management system is pretty broken right now. ISI originally thought it would help the community by cutting down on mismatch issues, but it's been a disaster so far. On the bright side, they're looking for ways to fix it without resorting to the old rF1 system.

Edit: Due to a billing disagreement with my website provider, the mod files might not be accessible for a while.

Dilly

Banned
We talked the mod-maker into releasing a new version that doesn't require any tracks – I've updated the second post with the new file.

And the mod management system is pretty broken right now. ISI originally thought it would help the community by cutting down on mismatch issues, but it's been a disaster so far. On the bright side, they're looking for ways to fix it without resorting to the old rF1 system.

Edit: Due to a billing disagreement with my website provider, the mod files might not be accessible for a while.

Excellent, because it required Watkins Glen 0.2 and even though it's probably in early stages, it's one of the worst tracks I've ever driven in a simulator.

The mod managing looked great in theory, but it's already becoming hard to use and that's with just a few mods available.

1-D_FTW

Putting a search system that allowed you to skip through the alphabet would be nice. P would quickly get you to Porshe in the car section. M would quickly get you to Monaco in the track selection.

It's definitely better than the old system, but they need something that would quickly skip you to the section you want.

Dilly

Banned
Putting a search system that allowed you to skip through the alphabet would be nice. P would quickly get you to Porshe in the car section. M would quickly get you to Monaco in the track selection.

It's definitely better than the old system, but they need something that would quickly skip you to the section you want.

I don't know why it just isn't

SERIES - VEHICLE - TEAM - TRACK

Would make a lot more sense than cramming all liveries together, especially with the "all tracks all vehicles" mod.

1-D_FTW

I don't know why it just isn't

SERIES - VEHICLE - TEAM - TRACK

Would make a lot more sense than cramming all liveries together, especially with the "all tracks all vehicles" mod.

Oh. Absolutely. Liveries should be a sub-menu to cars. But even still, if you put in a ton of mods like the original rfactor, cycling through just cars could be a PITA. So they could stand to use both.

mclaren777

I'm never fully satisfied with a racing sim if it doesn't include a modern F3 machine.

Turns out that the guy who has been working on the Top Gear test track is also working on this...

iWTWlbnEaVL7j.jpg

Dilly

Banned
Had some fun races last night

Love the Megane/Mills combo. But I said it before, that sound of the GTR is terrible, really, really terrible.

Dilly

Banned
Not really.

At high revs it gets compressed and ugly in rF2 and it almost sounds like the engine loses all its punch. It's nothing like in the video from the real onboard except that it has the same growl.

It totally misses the natural mechanical sound of a real engine, it sounds digital and compressed.

ksimm

I got this last night and can safely say it was worth every single little penny. Now here's the shocker, I have no wheel! After the sad death of my momo force wheel I have had to resort to 360 controller or keyboard.

So last night I fire it up and go straight for the 1960's and Spa, my mind was blown! Not only did it run fast and look good the feeling of the car on the track just with a keyboard was beautiful. I had some moments where I was going to fast into the corner and had to correct, resulting in some rather scary but rewarding 1960's drifting. Now I wonder how this must feel with a wheel and am getting that itch to buy one again.

Seriously though, this feels so much better than rFactor. They did a lovely job on Monaco and old Spa, which may I just say is one scary but thrilling ride.

I loved nothing more as a kid playing papyrus racing games on my amiga and pc, I feel like I've been transported back in time then promptly kicked into the future.

Can anyone recommend a wheel around the £150 mark?

mclaren777

Changelog v1.3:
• fixed, under-car shadow
• fixed, all car parts now visible on road reflection
• fixed, all car parts now affected by headlights
• new, upgrade options in the tuning menu
• new, improved dashbord texture
• other, working driver animation
• other, various graphics improvements
• other, various physics improvements

Download

ikVZ3iewGKELz.png

Arucardo

I wish they'd be more specific about the graphics and physics changes/improvements. Maybe there's more info on the forums.

mclaren777

I wish they'd be more specific about the graphics and physics changes/improvements.

Graphics upgrades:
• small carbon front wing
• small body kit
• new headlights
• new rear wing

Physics upgrades:
• adjustable rear wing
• more power and torque
• more fuel consumption
• less weight

Top Bottom