• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

rFactor 2 Beta Thread: Which will crash more often; it or us?

mclaren777

Available soon: 1970 Challenger R/T, 1968 Camaro Coupe SS, 1968 Miura, and 1963 250 GTO

iU6hGilUynuXu.jpg

Available now: Sears Point, aka Infineon, aka Awesomesauce

Download

ibgDwNiVsJqODg.jpg

Arucardo

Oh snap, can't wait for those cars. I have a soft spot for taking old muscle cars around tracks with their boat like handling, really looking forward to how those feel with the rF2 tire model.

1-D_FTW

That's some good stuff.

Temporarily out of commission as I'm in the process of an upgrade. Hopefully by Thursday everything will be running glitch free.

Arucardo

Finally managed a complete lap of the Targa Florio in an old BMW CSL (original rF), so awesome. Decided to set up my head tracking stuff too and it definitely added to the enjoyment (PS3eye, DIY ir led cap and free track). I hope the next rF2 build is released soon, they said head tracking will be added by then.

1-D_FTW

Finally back in commission and loaded everything back onto my fresh Win 7 install. With everything maxed at 1080P, new game build definitely uses a little more resources. Don't really notice the improvements that require the extra GPU usage, but I'm sure there was a reason for it.

Available now: Sears Point, aka Infineon, aka Awesomesauce

Track & Patch

ibgDwNiVsJqODg.jpg

So I guess that's not an official release? Because it definitely looks mod like in action. And had to switch to an F1 car, because running race series on that caused the in car cockpit to be a mesh.

I mean, it's cool if mods are starting to be released. And it's a great track. But I really hope that's not an official release because it's extremely rough IMO.

sneaky77

What kind of graphic card should I be looking at, I have an ATI Radeon 5450, but is not too great running Pcars, intel i5 750 and 8gb ram

mclaren777

So I guess that's not an official release? I mean, it's cool if mods are starting to be released. And it's a great track. But I really hope that's not an official release because it's extremely rough IMO.

Yeah, that's a community-made track and I think I might have screwed up with my initial post. I assumed that patch 1.3 included patches 1.1 & 1.2, but apparently it didn't. So here's a package with all four files (1.0 through 1.3) that should address some of your issues.

Download

What kind of graphic card should I be looking at, I have an ATI Radeon 5450, but is not too great running Pcars, intel i5 750 and 8gb ram
That's a fairly weak card so you would probably have to play with all of the settings turned down.

Something like this would be much better for both games: GTX 460 for $140

1-D_FTW

Yeah, that's a community-made track and I think I might have screwed up with my initial post. I assumed that patch 1.3 included patches 1.1 & 1.2, but apparently it didn't. So here's a package with all four files (1.0 through 1.3) that should address some of your issues.

Download

Now that you mention it, it wouldn't let me update to 1.3, so I gave up and was just running 1.0. That probably explains a bit.

mclaren777

yeah I imagined my card sucked, which is why I asked lol.. I got a nice refund from Uncle Sam so I wanna upgrade my card to something good.. is there something better out there that is worth it, or is that card going to be good enough for a couple yrs?

It depends how much PC gaming you do and the native resolution of your monitor. I have a GTX 460 and I can play rF2/pCARS at 1080p with mostly maxed settings.

Mobius 1

Bought it. Spa scared the hell out of me.

I can only run it with medium detail, but it's great. I'm glad to support it.

mclaren777

How would you guys feel about two NeoGAF racing events next week?

Perhaps one on Thursday evening and one on Saturday morning? Would either of those work for you?

t1331856000z4.png

Potential Backmarkers:
1-D_FTW
AcridMeat
Arucardo
Big Takeover
Branson
Cptkrush
Dilly
DivineRage002
Frawdder
gutterboy44
Imp the Dimp
mclaren777
Norante
Orgun
paskowitz
Sethos
Shawsie64
Wazzim

I'm always up for hotlap competitions in any racing game, but committing to a time for head-to-head is forever going to be problematic.

mclaren777

I will be hosting a server for both "events" whether people show up or not. And we'll probably run with some AI just to make decent sized grids.

sneaky77

I will be hosting a server for both "events" whether people show up or not. And we'll probably run with some AI just to make decent sized grids.

I would be interested on thursday comps at some pt after I get some time with this game if I can figure it out lol. My new graph card is on the way from newegg

1-D_FTW

On the off chance I do decide to try it, what are you running? There are a lot of cars and tracks I've never even tried. It would be good to at least practice a little bit on the event you were gonna host.

mclaren777

On the off chance I do decide to try it, what are you running? There are a lot of cars and tracks I've never even tried. It would be good to at least practice a little bit on the event you were gonna host.

Just the stock cars and tracks. So we'll us the Meganes and historic F1 cars (which I haven't even tried yet) at Mills, Spa, Monaco, etc.

Frawdder

I might be interested in the Thursday (Friday morning for me), the Saturday time is a little out of reach as it racing in the very early morning. Not sure if I can make it this week but I could attend future events at that time.

sneaky77

I have a question about this, and I guess it may apply to iracing as well.. do either game have any kind of single player mode that is not time trials?

Also Rfactor2 seems to be more mod friendly, is there a good guide on where stuff is supposed to go to work?

Thanks

I have a question about this, and I guess it may apply to iracing as well.. do either game have any kind of single player mode that is not time trials?

Also Rfactor2 seems to be more mod friendly, is there a good guide on where stuff is supposed to go to work?

Thanks

In rFactor 2 you can do single races against AI, however there is no "campaign" mode if that's what you're asking. iRacing however is completely online, and you can only do time trials in solo play.

The rFactor franchise is 90% built around mod support, so yes very friendly indeed. However rFactor 2 is still in beta and mod support doesn't seem to be fully implemented yet, or at least mod artists haven't finished anything interesting so far. Give it some time and it will be raining tracks and cars.

sneaky77

In rFactor 2 you can do single races against AI, however there is no "campaign" mode if that's what you're asking. iRacing however is completely online, and you can only do time trials in solo play.

The rFactor franchise is 90% built around mod support, so yes very friendly indeed. However rFactor 2 is still in beta and mod support doesn't seem to be fully implemented yet, or at least mod artists haven't finished anything interesting so far. Give it some time and it will be raining tracks and cars.

Yeah I understand there was not really a "campaign" in either, is it worth it to try rfactor with the rfactor2 beta already out or just go into 2? I been watching the VVV youtube iracing vids and they look cool, although that's probably best served for another thread, thanks for the answer.

Yeah I understand there was not really a "campaign" in either, is it worth it to try rfactor with the rfactor2 beta already out or just go into 2? I been watching the VVV youtube iracing vids and they look cool, although that's probably best served for another thread, thanks for the answer.

Spend the $15 now on iRacing. It's great fun, and will certainly keep you engaged. Come back to RF2 when more mods start sprouting up.

1-D_FTW

Depends how much you're going to spend on it. If you can get it cheap, I guess there's no harm in picking up the first. Rfactor 2 is definitely the superior handling/FF though.

It should also be noted that Rfactor 2 is eons better with how it handles mods. Rfactor 1 is an absolute nightmare once you start installing a bunch of stuff.

They have the Rfactor Lite install that supposedly makes management easier, but you can only use that if you've purchased the DD version. Won't work with the DVD install. And I'm assuming that's still selling for 39.99. Most definitely can't recommend paying that when you can get Rfactor 2 for the same price.

mclaren777

In rFactor 2 you can do single races against AI, however there is no "campaign" mode if that's what you're asking.

rF1 had championships against the AI for each "series" and I really enjoyed doing those. I hope rF2 has something at least as good.

Is it worth it to try rfactor with the rfactor2 beta already out or just go into 2? I been watching the VVV youtube iracing vids and they look cool.

If you do get rF1 (which I don't recommend at this point), get the physical version because it's $20 cheaper. And iRacing is pretty fun, but it doesn't have offline racing (no AI) and it's restrictive about a lot of options (only in-cockpit view, no mods, etc). It can also become fairly expensive to acquire a lot of content, but I guess you probably won't mind if you really enjoy it.

mclaren777

I just realized that racing together on Saturday won't work for me because I live in the US and the only way for me to watch the 12 Hours of Sebring is to stream it via ESPN3. So with that strain on my internet connection, hosting an rF2 server doesn't really work.

Tomorrow is the only time I'll have available this week, so hopefully I'll see you on track in 26 hours.

t1331856000z4.png

1-D_FTW

I'm not going to be making it. Haven't played it at all this week. With my new build getting done, I've just been caught up in other games.

And my RMA'd power supply just came. So I'm going to need to rip everything out and redo the case to hide the cables under the motherboard. So I know what I'll be doing tonight. If this thing dies after another 28 days, I may just throw it in the garbage can.

mclaren777

Build 68 and the GT World Endurance v1.0 package are now available for download.

In light of this, I think it makes sense to postpone the NeoGAF racing extravaganza that was scheduled for later today. Perhaps next week will work out better.

Here are direct downloads for both files, though I personally think it's easier to install Build 68 from within the launcher (see image below).

Build 68 installer
GT World Endurance

ieDLjfAGJmiM5.png

UPDATE 2 Changelog (March 14, 2012):
======================================

GRAPHICS:
---------------------------
Some fixes to overlay/gauge rendering to make it more SLI friendly
Fixed HDR problem for frame times greater than adapt ET
Avoid flashing one frame of the options while driving in realtime (could happen if server went to next track)
Fixed up various HDR issues

GAMEPLAY:
----------------------------
More complete tire heat from damping (currently optional but won't be forever)
Improved tire damping heat application and made more configurable
Prevent display and system sleeping (dedicated servers will only prevent system sleeping)
Added new finish criteria "% Track Laps" and "% Track Time" in case you don't want the percentage of both which is what "% Track Defaults" does
Improved thread stability

SOUNDS:
Doubled the maximum number of sounds

AI:
Added fix for AI not to avoid other cars in private session (since they're invisible)
Improved terrain sampling so that AI physics handles painted lines correctly

PLUGINS:
Added track IR plugin
Fixed logical error that would have prevented some plugins from running properly
Tweaked plugin message interface to allow chat commands
Added chat commands to results stream
Some other plugin additions

UI:
Added new filters to multiplayer lobby
Fixed bug where one frame of mis-sized vehicle or track selection shows up on main menu coming back from switching RFMs
Added a button action to force reload of car spinner. (so modders can update the loose skin dds and see it in game immediately)
Increased camera mobility around 'Reflected Floor' showroom
Tracking power loss in tire tool

mclaren777

Build 69 just went live and it promises to fix some of the recent plugin issues. You can download it (roughly 8mb) from within the launcher.

mclaren777

If we do the NeoGAF Racing Extraveganza this week, would you guys be interested in including Infineon and Mid-Ohio in the track rotation?

rF2ohio.gif

After seeing some of the rFactor 2 .gifs I figured the best place to ask would be here:

As someone who likes to play offline, alone on the track without any driving assists just for the driving experience, would rFactor 2 be something for me? I hardly have any experience with "pureblood" sims so I'm not sure.

1-D_FTW

After seeing some of the rFactor 2 .gifs I figured the best place to ask would be here:

As someone who likes to play offline, alone on the track without any driving assists just for the driving experience, would rFactor 2 be something for me? I hardly have any experience with "pureblood" sims so I'm not sure.

That's pretty much how I mostly do it. Sometimes I'll do the full race, but it's mostly just by myself. 67' Spa is how I've spent most of my time with this game.

Driving that track by myself is the most zen I've ever felt in a racing game. It's unrelenting in its demands, but when you're in the zone, it's such a zen experience.

mclaren777

I enjoy racing against the AI but rF2 is a little light on content for someone like yourself (eg, new to "pureblood" sims).

My recommendation is to try the ancient rF1 beta and see if you like it. If that floats your boat, come back and let me know.

Link

That's pretty much how I mostly do it. Sometimes I'll do the full race, but it's mostly just by myself. 67' Spa is how I've spent most of my time with this game.

Driving that track by myself is the most zen I've ever felt in a racing game. It's unrelenting in its demands, but when you're in the zone, it's such a zen experience.

That does seem like a strong experience and sounds like what I'm looking for, thanks! :)

I enjoy racing against the AI but rF2 is a little light on content for someone like yourself (eg, new to "pureblood" sims).

My recommendation is to try the ancient rF1 beta and see if you like it. If that floats your boat, come back and let me know.

Link

Thanks for that, I drove a few laps and from the feeling the driving gave me I can say I'm not put off by any means. While I had to fight a bit with the car, ultimately being able to drive a lap without any big flaws was kinda satisfying! :D

I also have a question regarding the RF2 Beta, do I actually have to pay money right now to at least try it? I was a bit confused since the first post mentioned I can download everything I need.

Yes. You need to pre-order the full purchase price in order to get access to the beta.

Another option for Skyfireblaze...

The demo for Game Stock Car
The demo for netKar Pro

GSC is based on rFactor so it will feel similar, but NKP is the deep end of the sim racing pool. If that one doesn't scare you away, we'll gladly welcome you into our elitist club with open arms. ;)

Haha yep seems like you were beaten by a penny :p Thanks for helping me out both of you, I might look into it next month if that's the case as my gaming budget for this month is gone.

Also thanks mclaren777 netKar does look interesting so I will check one out, no game of any kind scared me away so far so lets see what deep sim racers do ;)

Arucardo

Haha yep seems like you were beaten by a penny :p Thanks for helping me out both of you, I might look into it next month if that's the case as my gaming budget for this month is gone.

Also thanks mclaren777 netKar does look interesting so I will check one out, no game of any kind scared me away so far so lets see what deep sim racers do ;)

The original rFactor is also well worth checking out if you can find it for sale (some shops should still carry the cd version for cheap, it's cheaper than the digital purchase) The Targa Florio is an interesting experience, ONE lap takes about 40-50min to complete.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The Targa Florio is an interesting experience, ONE lap takes about 40-50min to complete.

GPL Targa Florio>>>rFactor Targa Florio.

@ SkyfireBlaze...

As someone who likes to play offline, alone on the track without any driving assists just for the driving experience,

:headscratch: What? Where's the fun in that? I honestly suggest to try racing online. Once you've done it trust me....there no going back to wanting to play offline.

The original rFactor is also well worth checking out if you can find it for sale (some shops should still carry the cd version for cheap, it's cheaper than the digital purchase) The Targa Florio is an interesting experience, ONE lap takes about 40-50min to complete.

Thanks for the heads up I'll look in my local stores too and see what I can find and holy hell... 40-50 minutes... that's something else, I would probably rage whenever I do a fatal mistake xD

GPL Targa Florio>>>rFactor Targa Florio.

@ SkyfireBlaze...

:headscratch: What? Where's the fun in that? I honestly suggest to try racing online. Once you've done it trust me....there no going back to wanting to play offline.

I don't doubt you at all I just suck too much at racing games to even think about playing online :p For example in the netKar Pro demo just now it took me about 40-50 resets till I managed to drive one lap without any major screw-up and even then I was mostly in the 2nd gear.

Another example my favorite racing game at the moment is GT5, I also drive without any assists there and while I don't suck as brutally there and can go fairly fast it's still no where near competing lap times.

So to sum it up, I like the one or other racing game very much but I'm just not good at them :p

What is the state of the online community for the original rFactor?

In any case, gonna pick-up rF2 some stage next week. see you guys then.

Top Bottom