• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

rFactor 2 Beta Thread: Which will crash more often; it or us?

Meganes at Mills (long) I guess? Nice going up the positions!

I tried my first race against bots yesterday in an F3 at Mills, I definitely need to practice a bit to be more consistent, I spin out ever four laps or so.

What sensitivity do you guys use on gas/brake/clutch?

I'm running 100% on both gas and brakes, but clutch just feels a lot better to me a 0%.

Edit: Ohhh and a question here, for the Joesvilles Speedway track, where am I supposed to put the folder? I can see the track when selecting one, but every time I try to load it, the game crashes, I definitely did something wrong.
I've spent way more time getting the ffb to feel right than I have with the sensitivities and deadzones. I'm pretty sure I'm just running defaults on those right now. I'll go back and play with them soon. DFGT for me, so no clutch.

rFactor/Installed/Locations/

Seanspeed

Banned
Youtube – Kahunas

spa66.gif

After seeing some videos, especially this one I've gotta ask how the slipstream effect is in the game. It seems to be very minimal. I understand a 60's F1 car isn't gonna punch a huge hole in the air, but it should be more pronounced than it looked in this surely? Or are people just letting off slightly cuz its scary as hell to pass on that track? ;)

After seeing some videos, especially this one I've gotta ask how the slipstream effect is in the game. It seems to be very minimal. I understand a 60's F1 car isn't gonna punch a huge hole in the air, but it should be more pronounced than it looked in this surely? Or are people just letting off slightly cuz its scary as hell to pass on that track? ;)

All of the above.

There is some slipstreaming, but it isn't over-the-top vortex like. You will maybe gain 5mph down a straight for slipstreaming someone, which might allow you to pass him if the straight is long enough.

But on that track, and especially in those cars, going out of your racing line to make a pass is absolutely terrifying.

Seanspeed

Banned
All of the above.

There is some slipstreaming, but it isn't over-the-top vortex like. You will maybe gain 5mph down a straight for slipstreaming someone, which might allow you to pass him if the straight is long enough.

But on that track, and especially in those cars, going out of your racing line to make a pass is absolutely terrifying.

Fair enough, thanks for the response.

1-D_FTW

ISI totally nailed it – even at exciting car races I still like to hide in the shade. :)

http://i.minus.com/iPhYCEtOTVDed.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

After you posted that, I started paying more attention. The dudes wearing suits are perfect for the 60s tracks. That's why you're in the shade. Should have suited up;)

Am I the only one who could'nt catch a slide with the Meganes to save his life? As soon as the back end comes out, I'm headed straight for the wall, or a 180. I think I need to be more agressive on the countersteer.

mclaren777

1-D_FTW

Assuming McClaren hasn't bumped with any new info because he's stuck in the weather mess in the NW?

Anyways, ordered the Sony HMZ-T1 and this will be the first game I play on it. More specifically Spa. We'll see just how immersive that thing can really be:)

Assuming McClaren hasn't bumped with any new info because he's stuck in the weather mess in the NW?

Anyways, ordered the Sony HMZ-T1 and this will be the first game I play on it. More specifically Spa. We'll see just how immersive that thing can really be:)

Wow, that is going to be a trip! It's not exactly lacking any immersion in 2D! Definitely give us a report.

1-D_FTW

/\/\/\

Will do. Should come on Monday. It'll probably take a while to get the kinks worked out. So hopefully I'll have some impressions by next Tuesday.

Sethos

Banned
I still can't get my wheel adjusted right. Turn circles, all that seems fine but it still has this sensitivity to tiny movements on the wheel. So when I'm holding my hands steady, I can't help but turn the wheel a tiny bit to either the left or the right, impossible to rest completely centered. So the car responds to that immediately and it'll start going left or right even with the TINIEST wheel movement, so I keep having to correct that and end up in a pendulum effect that eventually lead to a crash.

So I tried adding a deadzone to eliminate it but I just can't right it right, there's no "sweet spot", either it's not enough or it creates too big of a gap and it numbs the steering.

I hope to sweet heavens that focus on some better default profiles.

I still can't get my wheel adjusted right. Turn circles, all that seems fine but it still has this sensitivity to tiny movements on the wheel. So when I'm holding my hands steady, I can't help but turn the wheel a tiny bit to either the left or the right, impossible to rest completely centered. So the car responds to that immediately and it'll start going left or right even with the TINIEST wheel movement, so I keep having to correct that and end up in a pendulum effect that eventually lead to a crash.

So I tried adding a deadzone to eliminate it but I just can't right it right, there's no "sweet spot", either it's not enough or it creates too big of a gap and it numbs the steering.

I hope to sweet heavens that focus on some better default profiles.

That sucks. I assume you've pored through the ISI forums? Are you using the Logitech profiler? I somehow ticked one of the steering assists by accident, and it took me two days to figure out wtf happened to the handling! I was absolutely baffled.

1-D_FTW

It is too bad he's having issues. Once I switched to the settings I posted above (along with Default G27 in the menu), the FF has been absolutely sublime. And I have zero issues with deadzones.

mclaren777

Assuming Mclaren hasn't bumped with any new info because he's stuck in the weather mess in the NW?

Yep. I just got power back a couple hours ago thanks for a hard-working PSE crew. :)

So the car responds to that immediately and it'll start going left or right even with the TINIEST wheel movement, so I keep having to correct that and end up in a pendulum effect that eventually lead to a crash.

It sounds like you have the steering lock set too high for your wheel rotation. If you're using something close to 360º (that's what I use), you should lower the steering lock to be roughly 16.5º (Garage > General).

Temped to put down the cash for this but wary due to no way of knowing how it'll run.
Any thoughts on the following?
i7 x990 stock
12GB
Nvidia 580

Also, can you upgrade from the standard to lifetime membership at a later date and pay the difference?

Sethos

Banned
Yep. I just got power back a couple hours ago thanks for a hard-working PSE crew. :)

It sounds like you have the steering lock set too high for your wheel rotation. If you're using something close to 360º (that's what I use), you should lower the steering lock to be roughly 16.5º (Garage > General).

It was set to a default value of 22.5* - So I'll give that a go next time.

mclaren777

Nvidia 580

Also, can you upgrade from the standard to lifetime membership at a later date and pay the difference?

You should be fine with a 580 depending on how many AI cars you race against. rF2 still needs a bunch of optimization so it'll only get better from here, but I'm pleased with the performance from my GTX 460.

And yes, you can upgrade, but they system isn't fully implemented yet. More info here

You should be fine with a 580 depending on how many AI cars you race against. rF2 still needs a bunch of optimization so it'll only get better from here, but I'm pleased with the performance from my GTX 460.

And yes, you can upgrade, but they system isn't fully implemented yet. More info here

Thanks for that. I've got the standard version. Now to try and find a fast download of the cars and tracks.

Take it you don't use a download manager?

Just tested it and was getting 2 MB/sec. That's about my connection limit.

Haven't bothered with a manager for years. I'll have a look afterward for future but getting close to my limit with the torrents so will be able to get it up and running with a pack soon.

1-D_FTW

Haven't bothered with a manager for years. I'll have a look afterward for future but getting close to my limit with the torrents so will be able to get it up and running with a pack soon.

Ah. I guess it helps that I'm still someone who uses firefox. DownThemAll is so handy.

1-D_FTW

What the hell is up with default controller configurations in this game? It's starting to annoy me.

Finally get my Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable, hook up everything and I'm ready to race - Oh no you don't. Loading the G27 configuration and there's still something weird with the controllers. Both the brake pedal and gas pedal move the "throttle" slider in controls. It starts in the middle and pressing the brake pedal gives it full gas, hitting the gas pedal bottoms it out. The brake slider however is applied in full force and nothing moves it.

EDIT: Okay, spent almost an hour calibrating this thing, using setups posted here and now making my own and I've come to the conclusion; I won't be playing it until they do something about the G27. Everything just feels so off, the wheel is overly sensitive even when you've turned down everything. I tried doing a simple race and I keep slowly going from side to side because the TINIEST movement of the wheel will make the car swerve. Adding a deadzone to eliminate it, even a slight one just numbs the feeling completely. The whole force feedback situation is just stupid, most setups want you to turn it off because it's completely out of whack right now. That further numbs the feeling and even with a slight bit of FF enabled, what is actually going on on-screen versus what you feel doesn't correlate whatsoever.

Right now the game has the worst default setups I've seen in any racer. Hopefully this will be corrected fast, as I won't be playing it until it's fixed.

What kind of input lag do you have on your set?

When I was trying to play this in 3D with the HMZ-T1, not only was the FF mushy, but I had the dead zone teeter-totter effect too.

Those cars and tracks require such fine movement, I really think the game is incredibly insensitive if your input lag starts getting too high.

mclaren777

Build 60 is now available to download.

Thread
Download

UPDATE 1 Changelog (Febuary 15, 2012):
======================================

MULTIPLAYER:
----------------------------
Configurable multiplayer race countdown timer ("Race Client Wait" in multiplayer.ini).
Reducing collision work in multiplayer (including completely turning off remote car vs. scene collision for now) in order to prevent slowdowns.
Modifed Dedicated server and mpfile to allow/disallow nicknames.
Fixed in-car chat for extended ASCII characters.

GRAPHICS:
---------------------------
Fixed showroom sun occlusion problem.
Fixed sun occlusion toggle.
Improved HDR debug output.
Moved all HDR processing to GPU.
Now enforcing deformable meshes.
Fixed and improved "visible vehicles" algorithm.
Updates to static meshes now disabled.
Fixed AI brake lights.
Fixed some issues doing HDR/Post on monitor.
Fixed up some postFX problems.
Updated sun occlusion.
Improved post FX integration with HDR.
Fixed bug that could result in cam file having more shadow parameters than the array that holds them.
Fixed problem with using post with HDR.
Fixed up hdr debug output, also improved post-processing.
Tidy up line drawing, also deactivated pre-caching for now as a test.
Fixed up hdr debug output.
Fixed a crash when loading a new profile to an existing track.
Shaders are recompiled if vid driver or HDR changes.
Reverted virtual mirrors back to using options settings rather than video settings.

UI:
Fixed car skin spinner not selecting current selected skin when entering screen.
Fixed path error for loading truetype fonts.
Fixed car spinner gizmo bug where it selection didn't take into account pace cars in the veh list ordering. (so picking a car near the end of spinner would select the wrong car.)
Fixed crash from skin selector gizmo that would happen 1st time you join a online game for a new mod and go to tuning from car selector screen.
Fixed bug where one couldn't select a new UI.
Fixed gear graph text in wide-screen mode with non-wide-screen UI.
Tidy up some loading bar problem.
Fix HUD pit menu selector box.
Added tire volume slider.
Added new options for VSync and FXAA.

AI:
Extra code to prevent ramming from behind when attempting to pass.
Generally made AI initiated player crashes less likely.
Made line transitions safer (for example moving from fastest to blocking line).
Fixed exaggerated pitspot slowdown.
Implemented 1st round of VERY basic wet weather tire logic.
Now always simulating a lap once for every car to get fuel, time, and minimum speed for track (to improve AI pit strategy).
Made AI slower at 70% by not only reducing their grip (was already being done) but also cutting a bit of speed off corners on top of that when figuring.
Made AI cars more likely to pass another car in the straight if given the opportunity.

GAMEPLAY:
Fix for timescaled mechanical failures.

CONTROLLER:
Added controller.ini variable "Off-road multiplier" at least until we have proper soft terrain physics modeling.
Changed default for "Keyboard Layout Override" in controller.ini to 1 which seems to work better most of the time.
Added new controller.ini option "Use Keyboard Rates For Analog" which allows gamepad users to intentionally delay the response time of their twitchy inputs.
Added controller.ini variable "Use Hardware Additional Features" to control whether we play G27 LEDs, for example. Actually that's the only example right now.
Added ability to read/write Thrustmaster wheel range (only available on new T500RS series, by the way).
Set default control for 'Display Vehicle Labels' to TAB key.

OTHER OPTIMIZATIONS
Various collision optimizations, including better automatic LODs for trackside collidable objects.
Fixed crash that occurred when no sound devices was enabled on Windows 7 Machine.
Improved and/or fixed OnTop variable in TDF - this is a precise way to physically apply paint stripes on top of the road with a realistic thickness.
Minor SSE optimizations added.
Vertical position of individual mirrors wasn't being transferred from CCH file to PLR file (note that these values are not editable in realtime with the Shift/Ctrl/Alt + Seat position controls).
Fixed dedicated server not updating scoring for plugins.
Fix for "Unknown" name in player file.
Fixed wide characters aborting the results file write.
Mirror toggle control lets you go through all 5 permutations in cockpit now.
Fixed a potential problem alt-tabbing with SL.

FUNCTIONAL ADDITIONS:
Allow nickname and attempt to allow wide char names.
Added a "Steering Wheel" option for "No Arms".
Added user car skin support.

MOD/PACKAGING
Fixed a bug with packaged files which could have allowed tire data to be overridden by external components.
Fixed a minor issue with encrypted mas.
Fixed ttool crash.

mclaren777

I haven't tested it yet, but most people are reporting a 20fps framerate boost with this new build. Plus, the AI are apparently much more intelligent now and the terrible offroad FFB rumble has been greatly improved.

1-D_FTW

Guess I'll give it a go later. Was a little worried about performance. Runs perfect with my gpu at about 75 percent load and my cpu barely breaking a sweat. Was a little worried about transferring more load to the gpu.

1-D_FTW

Your GPU kind of scares me. Think you have a GTX 460 like I do.

Efficient is running at 1080P@60fps and never cracking 80 percent utilization. If my GPU starts hitting 100 percent utilization, it means the framerate is going to start dropping.

Then again, I'm using triple buffering v-sync. Not sure you do. So maybe that accounts for so much time at 100 percent.

I really don't have time to play with it this weekend. I'll install it on Monday and see then:)

mclaren777

I do have a GTX 460 and I did disable v-sync for that benchmark test. Though in racing games I usually limit the framerate within the software, not using v-sync. In rFactor 2, just open your .PLR file and search for the following line...

Max Framerate="0.00000"

Set it to 60 (or whatever you want) and then save it.

mclaren777

I would like to organize some online racing for the NeoGAF community but I'm not sure how many people actually own rFactor 2.

Confirmed:
1-D_FTW
AcridMeat
Arucardo
Big Takeover
Branson
Cptkrush
Dilly
DivineRage002
Frawdder
gutterboy44
Imp the Dimp
mclaren777
Orgun
paskowitz
Sethos
Shawsie64
Wazzim

rF2spawet.gif

I own rfactor2, but I'm not interested in racing with you. or any of those people on that list. or the gaf f1 thread pathetic baby club, which is some of the people on that list.

good info.

Salacious Crumb

I own rfactor2, but I'm not interested in racing with you. or any of those people on that list. or the gaf f1 thread pathetic baby club, which is some of the people on that list.

good info.

Well aren't you a pleasant chap, though I can understand why you wouldn't want to race with mclaren.

Why would you even post that?

Polyphony

Haven't had much time to play games these days, so I held off my purchase for now (to not waste any of the free online membership months). I'll buy it eventually.

Arucardo

I'd love to do a GAF track day or race with the old F1 cars (only ones I've really put time in to)! Got next week off from school/work so I'll finally have time to properly get in to rF2.

I'm still pretty rubbish at recovering from most slides tho, haha. I've put more time in to original rFactor recently with the Historic GT & Touring cars mod, I just love old Touring cars.

Shawsie64

Banned
I'll be keen on racing with you guys :) gotta get back into racing as been preoccupied and stressed about my wedding but now that's over (posting from my honeymoon holiday now) im itching to get back into it!

mclaren777

Haven't had much time to play games these days, so I held off my purchase for now (to not waste any of the free online membership months). I'll buy it eventually.

I don't think it works that way. It's not 18 months of membership – it's 12 months of membership plus whatever it takes for them to release the actual game.

By waiting you're only missing out on this early-access freebie time.

Edit: given the new page, please click on the image below.

Top Bottom