• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

rFactor 2 Beta Thread: Which will crash more often; it or us?

Dear god the default vibration/jolt setting for the G27 is retardedly high. Went off track with the Megane and almost brought the house down. Fucking hell. Going to have to tweak some .ini files aka welcome back to pc sim racing. Tweak for 1 hours race for 5 minutes.

Dear god the default vibration/jolt setting for the G27 is retardedly high. Went off track with the Megane and almost brought the house down. Fucking hell. Going to have to tweak some .ini files aka welcome back to pc sim racing. Tweak for 1 hours race for 5 minutes.

Did you edit the global logitech profiler settings? That could be it.

Did you edit the global logitech profiler settings? That could be it.

I don't even know where to start with that. This is one of my biggest pet peeves with playing PC sims. Any universal settings to set the G27 at in windows? I remember back in the day I would set windows settings to one setting then tweak further in the game.

1-D_FTW

*sigh*

I thought by waiting, they'd have everything packaged in one install.

So what do I need to install? And where does it go? So much for being more friendly than RFactor 1.

Downloaded the installer, bought it, logged in. And there's no content. And no way to download content from in-game.

EDIT: And they're torrents. This game better be good is all I can say. A year late, a couple tracks, and an open beta for 44 dollars with a couple tracks that needs to be torrented?. Seriously? Torrent? I don't even have a torrent program on my system.

2nd EDIT: Can someone recommend a malevolent torrent program that's not going to install crap on my system?

2nd EDIT: Can someone recommend a malevolent torrent program that's not going to install crap on my system?

uTorrent seems to be the standard, that's what I use too, works well.

I don't even know where to start with that. This is one of my biggest pet peeves with playing PC sims. Any universal settings to set the G27 at in windows? I remember back in the day I would set windows settings to one setting then tweak further in the game.

If you go in the logitech profiler you should have in the options (on top of the window) global device properties, those are properties that are applied to ALL games.

1-D_FTW

uTorrent seems to be the standard, that's what I use too, works well.

If you go in the logitech profiler you should have in the options (on top of the window) global device properties, those are properties that are applied to ALL games.

Thanks. I'll download that then.

As I was searching their forums to see if I could find some torrent info, saw a thread about the G25/27 and it seems like a common issue that it rattles like crazy. The one ISI guy didn't exactly offering a reassuring voice by saying his has been rattling for months and no damage to his G25.

Poor FF is why I refuse to play Daytona on PS3. On low levels it's terrible, and when you turn it up, it sounds like my G27 is trying to be murdered. Sounds similar. Hope it's not.

Thanks. I'll download that then.

As I was searching their forums to see if I could find some torrent info, saw a thread about the G25/27 and it seems like a common issue that it rattles like crazy. The one ISI guy didn't exactly offering a reassuring voice by saying his has been rattling for months and no damage to his G25.

Poor FF is why I refuse to play Daytona on PS3. On low levels it's terrible, and when you turn it up, it sounds like my G27 is trying to be murdered. Sounds similar. Hope it's not.

I have a G27, I'll download rF2 when I get home tonight and try to find a ffb config that works.

My aging rig runs this game in DX 9. :( looks like ass even on the highest settings. Track detail is ok but the car models are shit.

1-D_FTW

I've changed the G27 Logitech settings and got things toned down quite a bit. I'll do more tweaking tomorrow.

Handling is great. Graphics are better than I expected. Also as I expected, Monaco is, ah, challenging. Nothing like taking the corner too fast and having your wheels jump the curb (honestly can't remember any other racing game having curbs on their tracks.) Very cool.

It's the light poles that'll send you to the morgue, though. Didn't even notice them until I wrapped myself around one for the first time. There ain't no GT wall riding on that track. I'm not sure how many times my car flip around when I nailed the light pole. But it was a lot.

So what's the difference between the:
ISI1044-v10-FormulaRenault35s.rfmod.torrent
and
ISI1044-v10-v11-FormulaRenault35s.rfmod.torrent

?

Edit: Nevermind, just read the post below, it's an update to the previous one.

I've changed the G27 Logitech settings and got things toned down quite a bit. I'll do more tweaking tomorrow.

Handling is great. Graphics are better than I expected. Also as I expected, Monaco is, ah, challenging. Nothing like taking the corner too fast and having your wheels jump the curb (honestly can't remember any other racing game having curbs on their tracks.) Very cool.

It's the light poles that'll send you to the morgue, though. Didn't even notice them until I wrapped myself around one for the first time. There ain't no GT wall riding on that track. I'm not sure how many times my car flip around when I nailed the light pole. But it was a lot.

Care to share what tweaks you made?

This FFB is so bad. It is just raw generic FFB. My old Momo wheel with a PC and game from over 10 years ago feels exactly like this. I imagine the profiles are being worked on but as it stands now it is too crude. I game at night and it shakes the desk like a reciprocating saw. Good fun otherwise. Hopefuly the community gets the FFB sorted soon.

This FFB is so bad. It is just raw generic FFB. My old Momo wheel with a PC and game from over 10 years ago feels exactly like this. I imagine the profiles are being worked on but as it stands now it is too crude. I game at night and it shakes the desk like a reciprocating saw. Good fun otherwise. Hopefuly the community gets the FFB sorted soon.

Does it at least communicate well on how the car reacts?

It is accurate in the sense it represents the feel of the car well enough but it has no subtlety to it yet. It makes my G27 feel like a FFB wheel from three generations ago. Even though I am just coming back to PC sims after a break this gen I have owned 4 different wheels through the years so I have a decent point of reference for FFB detail. I was kind of shocked to see the same generic sliders in the Logitech profiler as I did when I was in high school modding brake pedals with racket balls.

1-D_FTW

Care to share what tweaks you made?

For my Logitech profiler I turned down the Spring Effect and Damper Effect from 10 percent to 0 percent. Also turned overall strength from 102 percent to like 80 percent.

It still needs a ton of work, but at least when you crash and go over bumps, it's been toned way down. It's still too strong and obnoxious, but at least I no longer feel a crash is going to literally destroy my wheel.

EDIT: It's really the environmental effects they need to tone the fuck down. It's embarrassing when you drive off the road. Probably why the 60s series is worse than the other modes. Because even driving, that seems to have a lot of environmental effects because of how rough handling those cars were.

For my Logitech profiler I turned down the Spring Effect and Damper Effect from 10 percent to 0 percent. Also turned overall strength from 102 percent to like 80 percent.

It still needs a ton of work, but at least when you crash and go over bumps, it's been toned way down. It's still too strong and obnoxious, but at least I no longer feel a crash is going to literally destroy my wheel.

EDIT: It's really the environmental effects they need to tone the fuck down. It's embarrassing when you drive off the road. Probably why the 60s series is worse than the other modes. Because even driving, that seems to have a lot of environmental effects because of how rough handling those cars were.

Ok this is pretty much where I ended up tweaking last night as well. Like you mentioned the environmental effects need to be able to be turned down independent of the other FFB effects. I reduced the bat shit level of vibration but now my FFB feels a little muddy. Oh well, it is still a ear to ear grin of joy every time I take out those historic F1 cars and it is a beta. Looking forward to seeing this game get better and better.

Three60

Since I am only playing iRacing at the moment *cant compare anything else*, can someone compare iR/rF2 FFB. Does fF2 feels similar or...? Using G27.

mclaren777

Since I am only playing iRacing at the moment *cant compare anything else*, can someone compare iR/rF2 FFB. Does fF2 feels similar or...? Using G27.

I think the tire model feels more natural in rF2 and the FFB is great apart from the off-track vibrations.

I use 360º on my G27 just like I did with my DFP. Then I just turn down the steering lock for each vehicle (25º down to maybe 17º) and that works great for me. I think the Megane Trophy is utterly sublime and tomorrow I might try the other cars (even the old ones) to see if they're as good.

mclaren777

Lots of problems with the G27 I gather, should I wait a few weeks until it's sorted?

It sounds like they haven't yet put in filters to handle track surfaces differently so the FFB is really raw right now.

Straight from the developer's keyboard...

Michael Borda said:
I will say right now the FFB is extremely direct. There's are no faked effects, so those options to adjust ripple strip settings are gone. We currently have no way to distinguish them from the normal driving surface right now. The only real way to reduce this is through the "Steering torque filter=" it won't completely eliminate the issue, some solutions for off-road may be found in time as well.

1-D_FTW

:lol

When I first started, I didn't even realize they didn't put you in the fastest 60s car. That F1 car is absolutely wild with all aides turned off. You can be up to speed in 3rd gear and still fishtail it around if you give it too much throttle. What an absolute beast.

Call me easy, but I appreciate the little touches too. After one of my many crashes, I was backing up to face the right direction, and accidentally backed a bunch of hay stacks into the harbor. Usually haystacks are these static things with no interactivity. To see them moving around and tumbling into the water is too cool.

When I first started, I didn't even realize they didn't put you in the fastest 60s car. That F1 car is absolutely wild with all aides turned off. You can be up to speed in 3rd gear and still fishtail it around if you give it too much throttle. What an absolute beast.

This has made the price of admission worth it already. No assists late 60's F1 cars are mental . Dat slip angle.

iam220

Oh wow, open beta just like that? That was unexpected.

Haven't touched a sim racer in a while, lately been itching to dust off my g25 and get back in it. What's the consensus on the physics that far?

Call me easy, but I appreciate the little touches too. After one of my many crashes, I was backing up to face the right direction, and accidentally backed a bunch of hay stacks into the harbor. Usually haystacks are these static things with no interactivity. To see them moving around and tumbling into the water is too cool.

The AI left me a hay bale surprise out in the middle of the road at Spa last night. They must have just clipped it and flipped it out on to the track. I hit it at like 160mph, and cartwheeled for the next 1/4 mile. HUGE shunt!

Is there any value-add to the online plan given it has an (admittedly small) annual fee?

For example, official leagues that would be directly supported through the game itself (as iRacing does)?

Also, it seems to be a bit insincere to compare this open beta model to Minecraft's- Minecraft was paying 1/4 of the price for the full game gets you both the beta and the full game. This just seems to be more along the lines of "Preorder the full game now, and you'll automatically get access to the beta", which is hardly novel and pretty much commonplace across PC games nowadays.

1-D_FTW

Am I blind, or is there no track reset? Went into the options, but I can't seem to find any.

There's probably not, but I wish they weren't so serious and allowed it. Same thing with practice being broken. I just want to get used to the car and tracks without any extra things.

When I get moonshot over a railing and that's where I'm placed, I have to restart the race. I don't even want to race. I just want to drive. It's frustrating to have to go back to the starting grid again. And even if you can drive out (not always possible), I'd rather not have the wheel tortured.

1-D_FTW

Frustrations aside, purchase price totally justified for the two 60s tracks and those cars. Man those are good.

mclaren777

Anyone else up for a time trial competition?

I'd rather organize an online race for tomorrow or Saturday.

Possibly relive some of the good ol' days of our rFactor 1 league...

picture1.jpg

picture2.jpg

picture1.jpg

I'd rather organize an online race for tomorrow or Saturday.

Possibly relive some of the good ol' days of our rFactor 1 league...

I'd rather wait a few weeks, to get some initial setup problems sorted out, I'm still getting lag even by myself on the track, ESPECIALLY at monaco.

I'll try turning the shadows entirely off, but I'm almost at fully minimum settings already. Only things left to lower are the shadows and the resolution (I kinda want to avoid going lower than 1080p... Kinda sad seeing my I7 laptop lagging at minimum on this game... :(

I say do some time trials for the first 1-3 weeks, and once all the problems are sorted, let's do some races.

And I agree, those were the good old days, I think I was driving one of the Toyotas.

Edit: It's a weird lag too, Fraps tells me it runs at 50-60 fps, yet it feels like 20-25...

AcridMeat

Banned
Am I blind, or is there no track reset? Went into the options, but I can't seem to find any.

There's probably not, but I wish they weren't so serious and allowed it. Same thing with practice being broken. I just want to get used to the car and tracks without any extra things.

When I get moonshot over a railing and that's where I'm placed, I have to restart the race. I don't even want to race. I just want to drive. It's frustrating to have to go back to the starting grid again. And even if you can drive out (not always possible), I'd rather not have the wheel tortured.

There isn't a reset in any of the modes?

As much as I'd like to get into this and a possible league set up, I want to know more about the other sims coming out soon. Primarily GTR3.

Shawsie64

Banned
I'm not feeling the FFB as anything special personally. I feel iracing has far better FFB. I tried all last night to dial in the wheel and got it alot better than it initially was but still something doesn't feel right. Maybe its just beta issues.. Regardless im happy to support the team with my money until the final product comes out.

Sethos

Banned
Page 6? I am cry Gaf.

Any word on how often the update cycle will be, will there be updates all the way till release or is this an isolated Beta, then it's closed for a period of time until release. OP states it's like Minecraft ... How did Minecraft do it?

Polyphony

The only comparison that can be done with Minecraft is that both products charged for WIP versions that will be updated until final version. MC sold their alpha for 10$, the final product is now retailed at 27$. Users who bought the game early received a stream of updates and essentially got the full game at a bargain price.

In the case of rFactor, they're selling the open beta for the full price of 44$, not to mention that online costs extra in the long-term. It feels more like a pre-order bonus to me. At least the rFactor community can provide direct feedback to ISI developers. That kind of relationship built by Notch and his userbase helped Minecraft's success as well.

Sethos

Banned
Okay, what am I missing here. Installed the game, purchased the game, started up Single-Player. Under tracks there's nothing, under cars there's one yellow safety car, can't start the race because it says "No cars / tracks installed" o_O

mclaren777

To fix the FFB rattle problem – Link

If you are experiencing a strong noise/rattle with your controller, such as the G25/G27, you can try increasing this value in your Userdata/player controller.ini file (if you saved your own profile you would have to change it there as well):

Steering torque filter="0"
The range is from 0 to 32

This will filter the FFB effect over a series of frames, which will smooth out the feedback and reduce the rattle. Please note that as you increase this value the FFB may start to feel a bit "spongy" or "numb" and that it will increase latency.

The reason you don't feel/hear this rattle in many other sims is because they by default provide some filtering. By default we do not.

The value you set this to will be down to personal preference. If it feels good to you, and the rattle/noise is acceptable, then go for it. We did some testing locally and came up with some different values.

One of our internal testers felt 4 was good.
Luc settled on a value of 8. He felt any higher felt to numb for him.
I personally like 16. I could still feel the car, catch it when it got loose, it didn't affect my lap times at all.

So, give this a try and see if you can find something acceptable...

Edit: Please note this is not a permanent solution, but hopefully will get you to something acceptable for the time being.

To fix the stuttering problem – Link

Open your player.PLR file and find this line:

Flush Previous Frame="0" // Make sure command queue from previous frame is finished (may help prevent stuttering)

Change the 0 to 1

If that doesn't work well for you, there is also this line:

Record To Memory="0" // record replays to memory rather than disk (may possibly reduce stuttering, but at your own risk because memory usage will be significant for long races)

Change the 0 to 1

Sethos

Banned
Decided to hook up my 360 controller as I haven't gotten around to ordering an HDMI cable yet for my TV, to get the G27 + Seat going. Positive side is, there's a default profile. Negative side is, it's unplayable. On default, you can barely touch the stick without the wheel going bonkers and car spinning off, even with a huge deadzone and sensitivity set to 0% it's pretty much unplayable.

Top Bottom