• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhianna: "TR Had Different, Darker Ending","I Wasn't a Fan of ROTTR Father Storyline"

Zakalwe

Banned
The story and plot in both games is serviceable. The gameplay in both, but especially ROTTR, is incredibly fun and engaging.

I honestly don't understand how people get such raging hate for these games, but I was never a TR player back in the day. TR2013 was the second game I've played in the series in any real sense, after Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. I'm sure I tried out TR2 or TR3 on a demo disc way back when.

The writing is so bad, so edgelord grimfail horrible, that it actually detracts from the decent gameplay for many people.

Like it's actually insultingly bad at points, and it ruins the experience.

Hey I'm gonna go into my brother's room at night, cut holes into his hands WITHOUT having him wake up and then pretend to be God talking to him

Legit terrible writting.

oh my god how did I forget about this

the writing in these games is so terrible, even if you count the fact that Pratchett had limited space to work in, the characterization of Lara is abysmal.

He may be working on the series, but it doesn't seem like it'll be the next entry. At least according to Kotaku

“But wait,” you might be thinking. “Isn’t Tomb Raider developed by Crystal Dynamics, a studio in San Francisco?” You would be right—except we hear Eidos Montreal, the large studio behind Thief and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, is helming Lara Croft’s next adventure.

http://kotaku.com/name-of-next-tomb-raider-leaks-because-guy-had-it-open-1788419554

The game does suffer from the narrative dissonance. You get moments where the characters are worried about holding the line or something and it's like c'mon, I just killed like 200 guys on my way here, I got this. Uncharted just kind of ignores it but Tomb Raider can't because they made it a central point of the story so I think it's really up to the gameplay team to find a way around that particular problem. You just need some boss to tell them to work with the constraint instead of just plowing over it.

I've enjoyed both games but they could definitely use some improvement. I like that they seem to have a consistent villain. Hopefully that develops well.

jond76

Banned
I loved both games. TR2013 is one of the very few games I've ever replayed. I reckon I'll play through Rise again too.

jett

D-Member
It's no surprise hired writers have no real control over the story. You're at the mercy of game designers, directors, producers and who knows what else. You need directorial, authoritarian power, like Druckmann has, to really make your own decisions. That doesn't mean there isn't a collaborative process at ND, but people like Pratchett are not really in charge. I'll say this much though about the new TR games though, nothing about these games' writing is any good.

What I got from that not that she was forced to add deaths but upon examining the gameplay, more deaths for the cast was necessary.

She's also out of touch - check her response to Lara's rape question

Yeah, no, fuck that....the criticisms didn't happen because "oh mah word, groping in mah game??!" but because the crux of Lara's transformation, the catalyst, was the fact that she was about to be violated. Her choice was taken from her, she didn't pick up the gun to help her friends, she reacted.

And I don't buy "oh no, there was no rape." Yes, it's true, the fail condition for the QTE was that he throttles her but the implication as to what was happening was obvious that if you didn't fail, you would've assumed you saved Lara from that fate.

Ummm....about that >->

No, Lara Isn’t Suffering From PTSD In Rise of the Tomb Raider, Says Director

:/
lmao ok nevermind you are right. what a mess these games were. i think everyone involved was on the same page, it's just the complete wrong page to their actual fans.

Linkark07

Banned
If Lara friend possession ritual was meant to be completed and you had to fight the... goddess (if memory serves me well) in her body and the friend had to lose her life, then I would have been ok. To be honest, besides Lara, I don't remember anything else about the game. I doubt people felt attached to any of the other characters. Her death wouldn't have mattered too much.

Mik2121

AAA expectations

The gameplay is excellent. Very satisfying combat mechanics and good puzzles and tombs in ROTTR.

They're not QUITE there yet with the puzzles, but considering TR2013 had very simple ones, then ROTTR had more complex ones, I'm hoping Shadow has more difficult ones.
Great to hear. Have the game waiting a bit until I finish the main stuff on HITMAN. Can't wait.

Why huh? What the person wrote is true.

TR2013 and RotTR are two of the most poorly written AAA games of all time, imo.
Ah no, no. The huh wasn't meant to question what the person was saying, but more of a "huh, I see... well that sucks" sort of thing? Sorry.

The hyperbole is very strong. Mostly from the very vocal they hate everything about it period.

Personally if you enjoyed the first game's gameplay this is pretty much the same except with more weapons and a decent amount more platforming/puzzle solving and a new setting. Story is nothing to write home about, but it does the job of giving you an excuse to traverse new areas. Its not offensively bad by any means, just pedestrian and forgettable IMO
Honestly I haven't played most Tomb Raider titles (back in the day I wasn't that much into the series and then I found it hard to get into since I didn't have much attachment for it). I'm looking forward to the platforming and puzzles more than anything, but let's see how it goes!

I hate only the story and the characters. I enjoyed the game.
Gotcha, fair enough. Thanks for all the opinions!

The story for both 2013 and Rise were both horrible, forgettable messes with cliche after cliche and I don't play Tomb Raider games for their storyline. I know I'm, sadly, in the minority when I say this but I believe TR doesn't need a "good" (whatever "good" means anymore) storyline for it to have progression. The classics I love because of their gameplay, the environments, the music, the graphics to some degree, the unlockables and of course the sexiness of Lara herself... and not because of the storyline.

So what I'm saying is they could have this original dark ending but they need to, imo, change their philosophy for storytelling to be more of that towards the classics where it's done by cheesy cutscenes, environment and enemy designs, loosely tied together by the real-life locations you visit and the artefact you collect at the end that pertains to that.

Zakalwe

Banned
Ah no, no. The huh wasn't meant to question what the person was saying, but more of a "huh, I see... well that sucks" sort of thing? Sorry.

Ah, that's actually very apparent now I look at it.

I apologise, bit confrontational today! :3

Fury451

Banned
So if I read this correctly, the writer wanted quippier/sassy Lara, and Crystal Dynamics are the ones vetoing that characterization.

Interesting. I like the new games to some degree, but Lara's characterization is the worst part of it. She has some cool badass moments and lines, but it feels largely hollow.

I have a lot of thoughts about the darker push with these games, because it isn't all bad, but at the same time the spirit of who this version Lara is was best exemplified by Blood Ties- she has a thirst for adventure, not blood. The old first-iteration Lara was far more blatantly bloodthirsty, putting her more into an anti-hero role, which suited her well. This new one seems more bookworm adventurer than badass murderer.

Which is at odds with the fact that I really enjoy the combat.

It's also interesting to note that the story of Rise of the Tomb Raider was nearly identical to the reboot in terms of major beats.

tuxfool

Banned
The story for both 2013 and Rise were both horrible, forgettable messes with cliche after cliche and I don't play Tomb Raider games for their storyline. I know I'm, sadly, in the minority when I say this but I believe TR doesn't need a "good" (whatever "good" means anymore) storyline for it to have progression.

I don't think you are on your own. The crux of the issue is that people don't really care if a story is bad if it is designed to take a backseat in the entire experience of the game. Unfortunately they thrust the horrible story front and center as a core pillar of the game.

Naturally, if they're going to do that then they have to get it right. So far they have failed in such a way that for many people, myself included, the horrible story actually vampirically detracts from the rest of the game.

I think that it's clear now that she is not the one who is responsible about TR/ROTTR story. She was more focused on Lara and her character. It looks like few teams and playtesters are also working on the story and deciding about it. And also it looks like CD changed and tried many different things with both games.

That's the impression i get after reading this interview and now i am even more confused and not sure what is CD planning for 3rd game.

that's the impression i get, too. which raises the point: aside from contributing to dialog (&, in lara's case, soliloquies), what exactly has rhianna pratchett been responsible for, script-wise? because, despite receiving the 'written by' credit, it seems, in actuality, very little...

this actually comes across as though she's somewhat disowning the whole thing (which i'd completely understand :) )...

Vlaphor

Well, hopefully the next Tomb Raider will go in a much better direction than ROTR, since Lara in that one was the worst written protagonist of all time. Damn near killed the game for me to the point that I started skipping cutscenes later on.

Sayers

It's crazy to me that it seems to have never occurred to them to make the new Tomb Raider games just, you know, not involve so much murdering of humans.

The old games sure as shit didn't focus on that (or combat in general) nearly so much.
Square wants their own Uncharted

The story and plot in both games is serviceable. The gameplay in both, but especially ROTTR, is incredibly fun and engaging.

I honestly don't understand how people get such raging hate for these games, but I was never a TR player back in the day. TR2013 was the second game I've played in the series in any real sense, after Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. I'm sure I tried out TR2 or TR3 on a demo disc way back when.

I found the gameplay dull as well, combat was serviceable at best, scenarios were basic with small numbers of enemies and not very dynamic either. The side activities and tombs were not implemented very well either. Most overrated game of 2016 for me personally.

ItIsOkBro

The story was legit terrible. And I don't understand who's calling the shots here. Because the father storyline is literally all that Lara is.

le.phat

It's crazy to me that it seems to have never occurred to them to make the new Tomb Raider games just, you know, not involve so much murdering of humans.

The old games sure as shit didn't focus on that (or combat in general) nearly so much.

I was laughing throughout the article, with her wailing on about the 'problems of lara's murderous tenacities' when all i could think was: stop putting her in situations where she has to kill legions of dudes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's like they've forgotten how to make a game fun if it isn't about busting caps in all kinds of asses.

"I know gritty, darker games have become very popular in the last five or so years. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but I can completely see why Crystal wanted to take a different path with depicting Lara and her character than had been done before.

"Otherwise, why bother with a reboot, really?"

Why bother with a reboot if you're going to make the game into a copy of every other gritty dark game that has been popular for the last 5 or so years indeed.

Zakalwe

Banned
I was laughing throughout the article, with her wailing on about the 'problems of lara's murderous tenacities' when all i could think was: stop putting her in situations where she has to kill legions of dudes ¯_(ツ)_/¯

It's like they've forgotten how to make a game fun if it isn't about busting caps in all kinds of asses.

Dat shotgun execution tho.

I don't think you are on your own. The crux of the issue is that people don't really care if a story is bad if it is designed to take a backseat in the entire experience of the game. Unfortunately they thrust the horrible story front and center as a core pillar of the game.

Naturally, if they're going to do that then they have to get it right. So far they have failed in such a way that for many people, myself included, the horrible story actually vampirically detracts from the rest of the game.

And it isn't just that, the whole "gotta find my father!" is dragged on for far too long and is in the spotlight too much. We get it, you're looking for your father because he was some legendary explorer and died with secrets with him, but it seems like every trinket of choice Lara is given is dictated as to whether it helps her find her father or not. Then there's me as the player, who couldn't give a crap less about some faceless character we're forced into caring about, who just wants to keep playing and have the story unfold matching that of the gameplay. Hell, the entire Croft Manor DLC's storyline
is even more of "gotta find my father!" and it STILL didn't conclude

i dunno about this. i love both games, but my main complaints with the storytelling were that the dialogue was super clunky throughout and the dan brown-style overall plot in rise was just ridiculous. the article doesn't attempt to hold pratchett to account for either of those things, when you'd think she'd be responsible.

Even if she was told what direction to head in and was forced to hit certain plot points, it's still wholly awful. Just absolutely terrible in every way. Both games are like that.
Good games, but putting up with the stories, dialogue and characters can be repellant. You just have to do your best to block it out.

MUnited83

For you.
It is purely due to nostalgia of what old Lara used to be. It's like people completely forget the mess (both narratively and gameplay wise) that was Legend - Anniversary - Underworld.
More like it has terrible writing, and it insists on constantly shoving that writing down your throat every single step of the way. That's what makes it particularly hateable. The writing might have been as bad or worse before, but you quickly skipped through it. It literally didnt matter, they didn't try to shove it at every moment.

One of the worst and most boring story in videogame history. And terrible characters.

Wow that is some hyperbole. I thought the stories were pulpy fun. I think they should embrace the
supernatural
more. Uncharted 4 suffered from no
supernatural
elements. Don't know why people have a problem going there as it adds to the escapism.

I would love it to go back to crazy Underworld stuff where
you fight a evil Laura Croft clone

Both TR games have forgettable stories with terrible dialogue and cliche stereotypical characters. Normally I wouldn't mind because games like this it's all about the action set pieces and gameplay and the story isn't the focus. Its like watching a B movie, just mindless entertainment and doesn't treat itself seriously. However, what turned me off was the fact they emphasized heavily that the reboot will be story driven and still managed to deliver such bad writing for both games.

NeoRaider

Wow that is some hyperbole. I thought the stories were pulpy fun. I think they should embrace the
supernatural
more. Uncharted 4 suffered from no
supernatural
elements. Don't know why people have a problem going there as it adds to the escapism.

I would love it to go back to crazy Underworld stuff where
you fight a evil Laura Croft clone

I agree about supernatural stuff. One of the reasons why i preferred reboot story compared to ROTTR. Supernatural and mystery is what TR needs more.

"The tomb raider she was destined to be"

God damn, they really fucked this character. I mean, Lara was never really much of a character in the original games, but everything about the characterisation of the reboot Lara is terrible.

Poorly written, full of cliches, utterly unbelievable in almost every respect, poor VA, absolutely bottom tier story to the point of it being instantly forgettable... I still can't believe they called the second game "Rise of the Tomb Raider", that title alone shows they really have no idea what they're doing. It's such a terrible, humourless, edgy mess.

Nothing about Lara's character in these games is appealing to me, and I'm a huge proponent for more female leads in all mediums of stroytelling and I actually really enjoyed the gameplay of TR2013.

Agreed, add on the hunter/gather gameplay and it's a boring slog. Syria was the best part ROTTR.

It's funny that people play Tomb Raider for story now. I've been with the series since 1. They have all been terrible. The only thing that changed was they tried to give Lara more than a cardboard personality that people seemed to revere from the original games. You can argue that the puzzles and tombs became less of a focus with the reboot, but don't make the story the main issue with the game.

NeoRaider

I dont understand the extreme hate these games get. They are 2 of my favourite games, got a lot of fun out of them.

It's strange because as TR fan i am not seeing this online and on some other forums.
In general i think that ppl love both games, maybe reboot little more but overall compared to the GAF, opinions are really positive.

I mean game has:
-93% positive reviews on Steam.
-88 on Metascritic and 8.4 User Score.
-4.5/5 stars on Xbox Store.
-5/5 stars on PS Store...

So i don't get it really. Original OT for the XB1 release was really positive, i would say 90% of ppl liked the game. Why are some ppl so "loud" on GAF and hating the game so much... i don't know. But i can tell you that outside of this forum, it looks like ppl really like the game.

A little more context next time, OP? Not everyone is on a first name basis to this Rhianna chick, I had to google who the hell she was because I thought you were talking about the singer since you provided little to no indication of who this was. And from the first few posts it seems I wasn't alone.

Jito

Banned
I dont understand the extreme hate these games get. They are 2 of my favourite games, got a lot of fun out of them.

I started the sequel recently and tired quickly of the semi open world collectothon with no challenge presented through the gameplay. The most interesting parts I've found were the optional puzzle tombs, same as the first game. With these kinds of games lacking substantial gameplay you really need a strong story and characters to carry it, TR has neither but the first was still an enjoyable ride, the second isn't hitting that mark for me yet.

NeoRaider

A little more context next time, OP? Not everyone is on a first name basis to this Rhianna chick, I had to google who the hell she was because I thought you were talking about the singer since you provided little to no indication of who this was. And from the first few posts it seems I wasn't alone.

Use common sense. What would Rihanna (different name btw.) have to do in this section of the forum and with TR franchise, i mean... sorry if it's my fault but i used every single space i was given for the thread title.

It's strange because as TR fan i am not seeing this online and on some other forums.
In general i think that ppl love both games, maybe reboot little more but overall compared to the GAF, opinions are really positive.

I mean game has:
-93% positive reviews on Steam.
-88 on Metascritic and 8.4 User Score.
-4.5/5 stars on Xbox Store.
-5/5 stars on PS Store...

So i don't get it really. Original OT for the XB1 release was really positive, i would say 90% of ppl liked the game. Why are some ppl so "loud" on GAF and hating the game so much... i don't know. But i can tell you that outside of this forum, it looks like ppl really like the game.

GAF hung on to what a developer said in a preview about "wanting to protect" Laura for some reason. It is a classic case of GAF hype and burn. The games are awesome.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Honestly, story was the least of its problems, just found ROTTR to be incredibly boring to play. TR was good in that regard

Use common sense. What would Rihanna (different name btw.) have to do in this section of the forum and with TR franchise, i mean... sorry if it's my fault but i used every single space i was given for the thread title.
No I'm not talking about the title but the OP. I looked everywhere and there was no context but this chick named Rhianna Pratchet that was talking about TR that I had never heard of before in my life. A throwaway "she was the writer in these games" would've gone a long way.

NeoRaider

No I'm not talking about the title but the OP. I looked everywhere and there was no context but this chick named Rhianna Pratchet that was talking about TR that I had never heard of before in my life. A throwaway "she was the writer in these games" would've gone a long way.

I don't think that you not knowing who Rhianna Pratchett is and i provided original link to the interview, is my problem. Sorry.

Fury451

Banned
GAF piling shit on her and not realizing how much of the awkwardness comes from the higher ups saying "make something fit this gameplay scenario".

His daughter.

I'll be honest, when I first read she was leaving the series as writer, my response was "good".

Now with this I see that it seems like her relative input overall was low compared to mandates.

Top Bottom