• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty S3 |OT| Keeping Summer Safe - Sundays on Adult Swim

Grakl

Season gets ez 9.5/10 from me. Best season, great finale that put Rick in his place. Lots of threads for next season to pick up. Highest highs and very few lows.

Almost every other tv show is doing just fine in a year. They aren't as good?

tenor.gif

I don't agree with this gif's depiction of "good" being just a switch you can press, but this gets across the general idea.

I loved Jerry's snickers speech and how it undid everything Rick accomplished in the dumbest way possible. It was a bit weird to see Morty and Summer fall back into the status quo so quickly without their own speech from Jerry. Would've been nice to see him "win over" each member of the family.

Clone stuff was great too. Fun end to a solid season. Mr. Poopy Butthole's "what did you do" cut a little deep :(

Sheroking

To say "animation takes longer" is a bit disingenuous. Rick and Morty is not a heavily involved animated show compared to some others, who get out a yearly batch of episodes.

The reason it's scheduled is so whacked is Roiland and Harmon have high standards for it and have been given the freedom to release it when it's done. I'll take a great season of Rick and Morty every ~18 months rather than a lesser season every 12.

PSqueak

Banned
tenor.gif

I don't agree with this gif's depiction of "good" being just a switch you can press, but this gets across the general idea.

"Good" refers to the amount of effort the artist/crafter will put into the piece, the idea is that if "it's cheap and fast" the artist will cut corners, rush it and generally not give the proper care they'd if given the time, it's not that it's not gonna be good, but that the best effort requires time or the proper payment/incentive to actually do quality work fast.

Basically:

-if you want something fast and pay little, i'll rush it.
-if you want something done with outmost care and pay little, it will take me a long time because it won't be a priority.
-if you pay me the right amount i'll do it with outmost care and you'll be given priority to get your piece first.

It's a commission artist thing.

Goodstyle

Upon rewatch, that episode was even better than I initially felt. So many great lines and moments. It also is far and a way the most appropriate ending to this season that they could have had, and it finally puts to rest the "whose side is this show on anyway?" debates.

Indeed a great episode, Rick takes a loss and Jerry is back in the family. Beth might become a more tolerable character as well. Might be the best overall season (maybe, Season 2 might still be better by a tad bit)

My Ranking of Season 3 episodes

10: The ABC's of Beth
9: The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy
8: Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender
7: The Rickshank Rickdemption
6: Rickmancing the Stone
5: The Rickchurian Mortydate
4: Morty's Mind Blowers
3: Pickle Rick
2: Tales from the Citadel
1: Rest and Ricklaxation

tumblr_ovdxeu6OfG1w92bd4o5_500.gif

Ogodei

I loved it. Feels like the show finally found its humor pacing back, it works better at a frenetic pace.

Jerry being valuable as Beth's rock seems to be the basis of their relationship (i mean, he had to have contributed something when Summer was an infant while Beth was working through veterinary school, either childcare or breadwinner or a bit of both). Their relationship was flawed, but they loved each other in a way that was, if not healthy, at least healthier than Rick and his influence.

PK Gaming

"Am I evil?"
"Worse. You're smart"

This the definition of cringe. I'm not letting the fanbase influence my opinion here either, I genuinely think that exchange ranks among the worst moments in the show has to offer. Even the Rick and Morty subreddit mocked the line. It was that bad.

Yeah, so I definitely take this back. The season final made it abundantly clear where they stood regarding that line, with the reveal that Rick was merely feeding Beth's ego. The episode itself was pretty great. It was Dan Harmon as fuck, so the dialogue was really strong. I loved Rick's juvenile feud with the president, especially with the president having ghetto versions of his tech just to feel superior. It wasn't particularly rooted in social commentary or anything like that; just a dick waving contest between two dickheads.

Overall I really liked this season. It had a weakish start but it got good towards the end and had some stand out episodes overall.

1. Rest and Ricklaxation
2. Ricklantis Mixup
3. Rickshank Redemption
4. Rickchurian Mortydate
5. Morty's Mindblowers
6. Whirly Dirly Conspiracy
7. Pickle Rick
8. Vindicators
9. Rickmancing the Stone
10. ABC's of Beth

Rankings don't mean very much because I've seen ABC's of Beth about 5 times and think it is very good and I'd say definitely above the 'weak' episodes of the older seasons (Get Schwifty, Gazorpazorp, Pilot) Those top 3 would probably all be in my top 5 for the whole series though. Amazing episodes.

I hate to go against the grain (ok i actually don't), but I don't see this show being enjoyable for many more seasons.

It feels very samey.

Coolluck

I'm ok with Rick getting taken down a peg every now and then. I think that the end of last season could have set that up pretty well. What I don't like is the show basically resetting to status quo again. I'd hope they blow it up very quickly but who knows. I just hope they pump it out a little faster this time.

Was a pretty fun episode....just didn't feel like a Season Finale, at least compared to the last two.

Anywho, what are the chances it's back next year? Don't tell me it'll be a two year wait or more. :(

PreFire

This is definitely the best show on tv right now lol

Best part is checking for Easter eggs afterwards to find clues about evil Morty lol

Tales from the Citadel could've easily been the season finale

Rick goes "I'm tired of your dad being back here, let's go on an adventure" boom it still happens
Leaves us with a better ending

Season 3 was fantastic, just the mad max and abcs of Beth were a struggle but everything else was great

Tales from the Citadel could've easily been the season finale

Rick goes "I'm tired of your dad being back here, let's go on an adventure" boom it still happens
Leaves us with a better ending

Season 3 was fantastic, just the mad max and abcs of Beth were a struggle but everything else was great

If Tales from the Citadel was a season finale it would have forced them into a corner with fan expectations to write a continuous storyline about evil morty. I like the soft reset and RaM is back to random adventures every week.

Catching up. Just watched ABCs of Beth. Some neat ideas, but that was really bad. Did not like that episode. Worse than Vindicators. I can live with the rest of the season, but these two are really off putting for me.

And I'm preempting this, I have no idea who wrote it.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Season finale was def my fave this season. Loved the fight scene and the humor was on point. Season had some gems, but was pretty weak overrall compared ti 1&2. Fuck pickle rick.

Zubz

Banned
I warn you friend. Once you've heard it...

It's the Magic Carpet turbo sound from waaaaay back in the day.
https://youtu.be/m3zsPl4Ampw?t=2m27s
(Volume warning)

Heard in countless TV ads movies and games.
It's the noise the flame throwers make in SM64.
It's the noise the punch makes in My Super Ex GF when Uma hits the shark.
I've heard it about 30 times in Doctor Who.

It's fucking everywhere.
It's also the noise the twins make when they launch in this ep.

R&M <3

Wait, I thought that was the Imp Fireball sound from Doom?

Solid episode to close out the season. Loved the pettiness of it all. Also kind of glad they decided not to end on a cliffhanger this season.

I think they did. For now, the two previous season final were a two part episode. You can bet whatever happened in the finale will be changed by the first episode of the next season.

:jnc

this seemed totally random. Unless it was from something that happened in the comics?

No, it’s completely random, which makes it super funny. Here’s a super genius whom the POTUS called a living god genuinely scared shitless of pirates.

The funny thing is, the pirates were just govt guys dressed up, the same guys rick was slicing and dicing without remorse in the very same episode.

And the fact he is afraid of pirates is in his wiki....lmao

oNi_NnqXlH9mgEbYPVKvbdj7pyc=.gif

Fantastic season. The Mad Max episode was the weakest, but still better than the worst of other seasons. I loved The ABC's of Beth.

The wait is going to hurt, but it's all worth it.

Blues1990

No, it’s completely random, which makes it super funny. Here’s a super genius whom the POTUS called a living god genuinely scared shitless of pirates.

The funny thing is, the pirates were just govt guys dressed up, the same guys rick was slicing and dicing without remorse in the very same episode.

And the fact he is afraid of pirates is in his wiki....lmao

oNi_NnqXlH9mgEbYPVKvbdj7pyc=.gif

What makes his fear of pirates so weird is that it came out of nowhere. Of all things Rick could be afraid of, it's pirates?!

What I really liked of the season is that it was building Rick as the Ultimate Almighty being in the Multiverse, and yet he was downed by a family from a random Universe he's bonded.

darklin0

Banned
What makes his fear of pirates so weird is that it came out of nowhere. Of all things Rick could be afraid of, it's pirates?!

He used to be afraid of wicker furniture but he left that in his original body with the agent in episode one of this season.

It seems like he has a list of irrational fears.

Top Bottom