• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty S3 |OT| Keeping Summer Safe - Sundays on Adult Swim

StayDead

beth was always evil dude

Jerry is the one who reins her in. Reins them all in. This season is supposed to show you that Jerry is necessary to keep things calmer

Agreed with this. Jerry is a maniac for his own reasons, but he brings the family down to earth.

PK Gaming

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh SHIT MOTHAFUCKA

Who is right? This guy

No the joke is that Beth is just your standard egotistical asshole, and all that garbage about her being "worse than evil, smart" was just a bullshit pretense Rick gave her to shut her up.

She's just kind of an unremarkable human being with a shitty job and a mediocre family.

But yeah, Jerry is pretty important.

No the joke is that Beth is just your standard egotistical asshole, and all that garbage about her being "worse than evil, smart" was just a bullshit pretense Rick gave her to shut her up.

She's just kind of an unremarkable human being with a shitty job and a mediocre family.

But yeah, Jerry is pretty important.
Come on man she's a horse surgeon. That's almost like people.

Ogodei

Hindsight i also feel like the ABC's of Beth was the weakest, though the conclusion of the episode ultimately set up the finale because it laid bare the source of Beth's insecurities.

They probably didn't need to make her a full-on sociopath though. Just have her realize some of her own poorer traits (like the alcoholism and history of borderline child neglect).

1. Rickhurian Mortydate
2. Rest and Ricklaxation
3. Ricklantis Mixup
4. Whirly Dirly Conspiracy
5. Rickshank Redemption
6. Pickle Rick
7. Vindicators
8. Morty's Mindblowers
9. Rickmancing the Stone
10. ABC's of Beth.

vulva

No, it’s completely random, which makes it super funny. Here’s a super genius whom the POTUS called a living god genuinely scared shitless of pirates.

The funny thing is, the pirates were just govt guys dressed up, the same guys rick was slicing and dicing without remorse in the very same episode.

And the fact he is afraid of pirates is in his wiki....lmao

oNi_NnqXlH9mgEbYPVKvbdj7pyc=.gif

how does this all play in to pirates of the pancreas?

Ogodei

I had a thought that the return-to-status-quo makes this whole season into a "Prodigal Son" story.

In Season 2 finale, the family gets a taste of the world through Rick's eyes and their tiny human lives are blown wide open by the involvement of the Galactic Federation. Rick then goes all god-complex to singlehandedly destroy these vast forces and manages to get Beth and Jerry to divorce all in one fell swoop. This experience traumatizes all of them (except Rick) into really driving home Rick's nihilistic worldview. The family collapses as a result with Beth finding only misery and self-doubt in her single life, Summer diving into Rick-style hedonism, and Morty running out of fucks to give about just about anything, with Jerry going through the standard divorced TV dad routine but with a Rick-flavored twist via space-girlfriend.

All of them use, or contemplate using, Rick's superscience to cure themselves of the malaise that that the Rickshank Redemption events put them through. None of them find any meaning in doing so, and eventually they realize the value of what they had and all come back together, "rejecting" Rick (though in a limited fashion, more rejecting Rick's values).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Binge watched the whole season the past two days. So good. I loved it.

I'd have to rewatch it all to make a list.

Bring on the 30 year wait for season 4!!!

Haven't seen yet, but isn't Rick responsible for pirates of the pancreas, the ride? Would he do that if he was afraid of them?

Yes that's the joke

He thought Pirates of the Pancreas was great because pirates are actually scary to him. While everyone else thought it was stupid he thought it was a good horror attraction.

caliph95

Yes that's the joke

He thought Pirates of the Pancreas was great because pirates are actually scary to him. While everyone else thought it was stupid he thought it was a good horror attraction.
He was also going to make the pirates act like actual pirates IIRC with rapes and such

Davey Cakes

Best finale yet, and arguably the best season yet. This and S2 are toe and toe.

Those 10 episodes blew by. I'd be astonished if they could nail the same quality next season if they go for 14 eps, but we'll have to wait and see.

The writing is just outstanding. I mean, the dialogue in The ABCs of Beth is some of the most potent and real that I've ever heard in a TV show, and we're talking about a cartoon, no less.

I liked the season finale since I felt Rick had been getting his way the whole season, even despite being shown to be terrible for his family, so the moment everyone gets back together is a big "eat shit" moment for him. My boyfriend hated the return to status quo, though. And Mr. Poopy Butthole telling us to get our shit together.

noquarter

Enjoyed the season. While I don't think they will go back on Beth being a clone, I'm not going to take it for granite that she isn't.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Oh that was the season finale?

Well, good season. I guess s1 and 2 felt longer in my head. I only started watching a few months before s3 started.

Enjoyed the season. While I don't think they will go back on Beth being a clone, I'm not going to take it for granite that she isn't.

Huh uh...

*blocks mind-wipe attempt*

Seriously though i could see them pulling that "shes was actually the clone" bit since it would be similar to the season 2 finale to season 3 opener where rick actually had a plan. But we'll see since other things are brewing and ready to pop off

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What

The pilot is literally the worst episode in the series

Agreed.

I was a massive fan of Community and Dan Harmon going into episode 1, but I was pretty lackluster on it so I didn't give it a try for a few weeks until more episodes came out and the overwhelming response was that it was really good.

Reivaxe

I'm sure she's a clone.

I feel like Rick was gonna kill her until he realized that in doing so he would take Beth outta the family. As in, who knows when the real one will come back? And if he kills her the kids will know she abandoned them making the whole point of the clone offer pointless.

Also makes much of the last 2 episodes make more sense.

But yeah, I think the pay off will come next season with super space Beth or something.

exYle

Agreed.

I was a massive fan of Community and Dan Harmon going into episode 1, but I was pretty lackluster on it so I didn't give it a try for a few weeks until more episodes came out and the overwhelming response was that it was really good.

My friend showed me the pilot to get into the show and I was so uninterested. I don't know how long it took for me to actually try the rest of R&M (it was at least months), but I remember that it was a series of subtitled images from 'Keep Summer Safe.' Only then did I find the morbid interest to check it out again.

Not after that Mad Max episode.

The Mad Max episode has Armothy which puts it above the pilot

ABC's of Beth might be the weakest in the series

Anyway rankings

1. Rickshank Redemption
2. Ricklantis Mixup
3. "Rest and Ricklaxation"
4. "The Rickchurian Mortydate"
5. Pickle Rick
6. "The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy"
7. "Rickmancing the Stone"
8. Vindicators
9. ABC's of Beth

Inconsistent but overall great season, better than S2 but not S1 levels

Excited for what's to come!

and the devil episode isnt anywhere near my top episodes list. Is that the one Jerry and Morty go to Pluto?

Amusingly enough it was the Devil episode that got me into the series. The part at the end with the music got my attention and made me lose my shit laughing when I had the show on in the background. Then it was Morty's speech to Summer in Rixty Minutes that solidified the appeal of the show for me.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Amusingly enough it was the Devil episode that got me into the series.

Yeah, the devil episode was fantastic. Incredible trope subversion and crazy fantasy/scifi themes.

Then it was Morty's speech to Summer in Rixty Minutes that solidified the appeal of the show for me.

Given the recent negative reception to Rick's nihilistic commentary, especially in the ABC's of Beth episode, this particular scene sticks out to me. This is a general question to all of you, really.

Morty is basically giving the same "nothing matters" speech here, yet people somehow got a lot more bent out of shape when Rick does it. Is it the tone? The intention behind it? You don't like Rick's "It's because I'm so smart lol" justification?

Looking for a Rick n Morty alternative to binge now that the season is over. Outside of Early Simpsons episodes I have nothing else on deck.

Thanks in advance

Given the recent negative reception to Rick's nihilistic commentary, especially in the ABC's of Beth episode, this particular scene sticks out to me. This is a general question to all of you, really.

Morty is basically giving the same "nothing matters" speech here, yet people somehow got a lot more bent out of shape when Rick does it. Is it the tone? The intention behind it? You don't like Rick's "It's because I'm so smart lol" justification?

I don't see it as the same speech, though - Rick usually uses "nothing matters" as an excuse to not get attached or as an excuse for his shitty behaviour. "Nothing matters, so I can do whatever I want". Morty, on the other hand, was trying to comfort Summer - his 'nothing matters' was to tell her we shouldn't get too worried about things like purpose, or blame ourselves for things outside our control: we should enjoy the now. The two speeches use the same 'base' but their core message is different. In the case of this Season Finale, it loops back to this - everyone rejects Rick's idea of nihilism after dealing with it for a whole season, and Beth being a clone or not doesn't matter - because if nothing matters, they're choosing to not matter together. At least that's my take on it.

Looking for a Rick n Morty alternative to binge now that the season is over. Outside of Early Simpsons episodes I have nothing else on deck.

Thanks in advance

I also recommend Bojack Horseman, but be aware the first few episodes of season 1 are hit and miss. After that its gold
especially the 11th episodes of eacĥ season.

Yeah, the devil episode was fantastic. Incredible trope subversion and crazy fantasy/scifi themes.

Because while Morty also thinks nothing matters he still shows that he still has self imposed things like morality and compassion, whereas Rick uses the fact that nothing matters as justification for his shitty behavior.

They're two sides of the same nihilistic coin.

Morty's face and reaction when Rick brings up the selfie while he's on the phone with the president had me GASPING I was laughing so hard. I had to rewind and watch that like 3-4 times holy FUCK that was such a well executed joke. The timing was flawless.

How much did that VO guy get paid for having to saying "Mrs. Butthole" and "Baby Butthole".
I don't know Roiland's pay rate but I assume he's union, so the minimum is I believe $800 for a 4-hour session.

The VO guy is one of the co-writers of the show.

You mean Justin Roiland? Lol
Just because he created the show doesn't mean he doesn't get paid to do the voice acting. You get around $800 base pay for a union gig as a voice actor and that covers up to 3 characters per show. If you voice 4 characters, you get another $800. Double paychecks baby.

Seriously! Best possible ending to the season.
Honestly if they ended the SERIES here I'd be satisfied. That was such a fantastic ending.

I enjoyed the hell out of Rick taking on the secret service/president. I love seeing the gadgets.

Good dumb hilarious fun. Felt like the house party finale with a little more family stuff which was really well handled.

A very good rule in writing is that you can't just keep going bigger. You can only have the universe in danger so many times before it gets boring. So a lot of times writers will have a story that follows a massively huge event (like the ending of Season 2 and opening of Season 3) with a much smaller more personal story.

loved it! laughed during the whole thing!
That was another joke that really got me. This season was on fire like few shows I've ever seen. The writing is SO sharp.

Top Bottom